Pulaski sheriff's deputy used excessive force witnesses say

Posted in the Somerset Forum

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
paster

Pittsburgh, PA

#1 Jan 7, 2011
A Pulaski County sheriff's deputy has used excessive force several times in arresting people, an attorney and several witnesses said at a hearing Friday.

The witnesses included two Somerset police officers who said they saw Deputy Steve Molen hit people without justification.

In another instance, a Pulaski County man testified that Molen slammed him into the side of his car during a traffic stop and broke his nose and shoulder, then told jail employees not to take his photograph until he'd been cleaned up.

Molen is not charged with a crime. Rather, in an unusual twist, a man arrested by Molen presented the testimony in order to fight charges.

Danny Whitaker, 61, is charged with fleeing, menacing and resisting arrest after Molen pulled him over for speeding in October 2009. Whitaker and his attorney, Scott Foster, want to tell jurors that Molen has a habit of using excessive force against people and then filing unfounded charges against them as a cover-up.

Whitaker, however, claims Molen punched him several times, kicked him repeatedly, and violently twisted his arm even though he was not resisting arrest.

Whitaker has sued Molen, Wood, Judge-Executive Barty Bullock and the county in federal court.

On Friday, witnesses described nine incidents in recent years in which Molen allegedly hit or treated them roughly — sometimes while they were handcuffed — or in which they saw him hit someone.

Brian Poteet, now serving time on a felony drunken-driving charge, said Molen dragged him into the weeds beside the road after a traffic stop and kicked and punched him repeatedly while other officers were present.

Somerset police Officer Joe Criswell said he took part in a chase in September 2006 in which the camera in his cruiser recorded Molen hitting a man with what appeared to be a baton after the chase had ended. The man was handcuffed, and it was not proper to hit him, Criswell said.

Billy Bolin, a Somerset police detective, said he saw Molen kick a man after a pursuit in August 2008.

The man was on the ground, handcuffed, when Molen kicked him hard in the groin, according to testimony.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/01/07/1591040/pu...
True

Pineville, KY

#2 Jan 7, 2011
The initial article about this incident came out before the election in November. Sadly voters didn't seem to care.
4your411

Hazard, KY

#3 Jan 7, 2011
So much excessive force... the police department is the ones that trains these guys, yet the department itself is never held responsible when their officers get busted doing what they where trained to do, an that my friends is called tyranny... this is happening everywhere an in the U.S. all the time. Welp, this just goes to show that police state is comming closer an closer every where you look around.

CHECK OUT "ALEX JONES" IN (POLICE STATE) or on INFOWARS.COM
anonymous

Somerset, KY

#4 Jan 7, 2011
the department of criminal justice training trains police officers and deputies and they are not trained to use excessive force or hit people who are handcuffed
Keep up the good work

Pineville, KY

#5 Jan 8, 2011
It seem that all these instances or so called instances where involved with criminals or known felons that were running from the LAW and putting other people it harms way. Thanks to all law eforcement that are trying to do their jods and keep us safe.
Keep up the good work

Pineville, KY

#6 Jan 8, 2011
It seem that all these instances or so called instances where involved with criminals or known felons that were running from the LAW and putting other people it harms way. Thanks to all law enforcement that are trying to do their jods and keep us safe.
Learned

Somerset, KY

#7 Jan 8, 2011
These thugs should have learned at an early age how not to be mistreated by a policeman. Evidently some people on here don't understand either.
I hear stories about some arrests by the local police and I wonder how and why the perps don't get the hell beat out of themselves.
hotdog

Manchester, KY

#8 Jan 8, 2011
Just fnished reading the CJ about the dep Has he be relieve of duty Also what about the other police did not report this when they said they had seen type conduct from this person I feel they were in the wrong not reporting this to there supervisor
JMD

Corbin, KY

#9 Jan 8, 2011
Glad to see Mr. Chriswell step up and testify against Molen.Molen is scum no nicer way of saying it.
BSKE

Brownsville, TN

#10 Jan 8, 2011
Same thing happened to me by the same officer and honestly it needs to be stopped before he hurts someone and all it does is cause a person to loose all respect for all police officers in there life
scott

Grand Rapids, MI

#11 Jan 8, 2011
JMD wrote:
Glad to see Mr. Chriswell step up and testify against Molen.Molen is scum no nicer way of saying it.
I am proud of all of them. by the way the paper read, you could tell, Criswell and Klepper didn't really want to say anything much but Billy Bolin did, i am not too much of a fan of his but he did stand up! Good for all of them!
Curious

Tomball, TX

#12 Jan 8, 2011
Hopefully justice will prevail instead of the good ole boy system. Time will tell...
killthemall

Kittanning, PA

#13 Jan 8, 2011
Keep up the good work wrote:
It seem that all these instances or so called instances where involved with criminals or known felons that were running from the LAW and putting other people it harms way. Thanks to all law eforcement that are trying to do their jods and keep us safe.
\
yes courts let'em go thank goodness somebody cares enough to kick the dog doo doo out of them. 2nd time felon's should be hung AT TIME of arrest (nearest tree)
Justice too late

Somerset, KY

#14 Jan 8, 2011
scott wrote:
<quoted text>
I am proud of all of them. by the way the paper read, you could tell, Criswell and Klepper didn't really want to say anything much but Billy Bolin did, i am not too much of a fan of his but he did stand up! Good for all of them!
Yes, but why did they wait 5 years, or maybe not I guess. The testimony said they reported to their supervisor. Why didn't the leadership of the Somerset Police come forward, instead of these officers years later. We need change for our citizens.
Police dept why

Somerset, KY

#15 Jan 8, 2011
Curious wrote:
Hopefully justice will prevail instead of the good ole boy system. Time will tell...
We need a real police chief in Somerset to make sure this conduct is reported when it happens, not a cover up. Not an acting one.
Somerset

United States

#16 Jan 8, 2011
The officers reported the misconduct to the sheriff department supervisors not Somerset police department. Sheriff dept ignored their reports
Wrong

United States

#17 Jan 8, 2011
We need a new sheriff that will take care of problem employees like molen

“You Stay Classy, Somerset.”

Since: Dec 10

Black Mesa East

#18 Jan 8, 2011
Wrong wrote:
We need a new sheriff that will take care of problem employees like molen
It's not just Molen.

*waves at Johnny*

Hi Johnny!
JMD

Corbin, KY

#19 Jan 9, 2011
We need a citizens review board
scott

Grand Rapids, MI

#20 Jan 9, 2011
Justice too late wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but why did they wait 5 years, or maybe not I guess. The testimony said they reported to their supervisor. Why didn't the leadership of the Somerset Police come forward, instead of these officers years later. We need change for our citizens.
Your right , they should have!!! if a citizen was sitting there striking someone they would of been arrested immediately! It is a double standard for our policeman, maybe there should be a investigation on why he wasn;t arrested on the spot! If he was seen doing this?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 22 min Athenesword 151,862
whos the girl in mustang 32 min tina 10
Dr. Reynolds 1 hr Luludooyou 8
Over Crowded Jail 1 hr Luludooyou 18
Ugn (Aug '12) 3 hr In the know 12
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 6 hr _Susan_ 32,748
word (Dec '11) 7 hr Red_Forman 29

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages