How to get 100% PTSD Disability

Posted in the Somerset Forum

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Marine Veteran

Washington, IL

#1 May 18, 2012
I have been seeing a counselor for 2 years due to PTSD issues, but have been denied disability over and over because I work. I work because I have to eat, but day to day tasks are becoming an issue. I won't go into detail, but getting 100% PTSD Disability seems impossible.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#2 May 18, 2012
Lexington or Louisville?
Pocket Book Psychologist

Washington, IL

#3 May 18, 2012
Being diagnosed with 100% PTSD is serious and requires a high level of mental incompetences. Take a look at the rating on the Military website for their definition:

38 C.F.R.§ 4.130, DC 9411
General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders:

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought process or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation occupation, or own name …………………..100%

This level of mental imparment is rare and for someone to get this level--they have endured serious trauma. At this level you become a threat to yourself and others. I've known of few people who are at this level and their life has been a living hell. They couldn't stay married or be around their children.

You might qualify for a partial disability...maybe 40/50%. If you truly have a 100% PTSD. The military is starting to crack down on people who are falsifying PTSD and even requiring veterans to prove they have not rehabilitated. According to the DMV-IV it is one of the most rehabilitable disorders.

Again, this is a tough diagnosis because so many fake it to draw checks--it is a shame that someone would scam the government, but that is the world we live in.
Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#4 May 18, 2012
D.O.D have the records, although it took them 42 years to release the proof in a DC Comp hearing in 2008. Still on appeal from 70%. They will go from 10% increments down to 1-2% increments awards and IN NO HURRY to award.Talk to VFW, American Legion or other org for advice/help with paperwork. Good Luck.
info

United States

#5 May 18, 2012
Got my brother in laws by writing a detailed letter of what he was going through
Marine Veteran

Morris, IL

#6 May 19, 2012
Thanks for sharing. I'm having nightmares and I will admit that I am on edge most of the time. My marriage fell apart because of my PTSD. I tried to save it for the kids, but just wasn't going to work. I take the blame for my marriage not working. My wife is the primary custodian of course--she is a good mother. She now lives out of state and I get to see my kids on holidays and in the summer.

I wish I could see my kids more, but I know because of PTSD that they are in better hands with their mother. She has remarried and he is a good guy.

Thanks again for the info.

“Enjoying Life's Mishaps”

Level 7

Since: Dec 09

Lost in Time

#7 May 19, 2012
Your not alone, sadly too many of are suffering from PTSD, too many are not drawing any comp for it. And just in case nobody has said this to you lately, I appreciate you, for serving our country.
Average American

Greenbrier, AR

#8 May 19, 2012
I guess it might have something to do with who you get in contact with too. See if you can find somebody that knows the right person that can push the right buttons that can get you the help you need. I have learned a lot in my time and part of it is. is that you have to know the right people. See if you can't find someone who does.
Marine Veteran

Loves Park, IL

#9 May 20, 2012
Thanks for the kinds words and the compliments. I served my country but not out of choice. I couldn't find a job, so I did my time in the military. I didn't enjoy, it but it paid the bills. I bleed Red, White, and Blue, but boy our military needs some serious work. So many problems within the system.

Regardles if you just served 6 months for 35 years, it is still service and we all put our lives on the line each day...well many of us do.

Brownsville, TN

#10 May 22, 2012
The service rep at the American Legion is there every Tuesday from 8-12. He will do everything in his power to try to help you if you will go see him. Good luck and God Bless.
infantry vet

United States

#11 May 28, 2012
Id give up man. You cant get anything out of the va. My friend i have served with for 3 yrs now hit a ied and will never wlk right again and they will only pay him a lump sum of 12000 for the rest of his life. We all have some short of ptsd so its not priority for them. They got what they want from you and now your on ur own. Same as me forcing us all out and its all most of us know. Im out next week proud to have been infantry but realized i have been used. And will nv see anything from it im not even gonna bother with maken a claim.
imavettoo

United States

#12 May 28, 2012
infantry vet wrote:
Id give up man. You cant get anything out of the va. My friend i have served with for 3 yrs now hit a ied and will never wlk right again and they will only pay him a lump sum of 12000 for the rest of his life. We all have some short of ptsd so its not priority for them. They got what they want from you and now your on ur own. Same as me forcing us all out and its all most of us know. Im out next week proud to have been infantry but realized i have been used. And will nv see anything from it im not even gonna bother with maken a claim.
i had a duce tire and rim fall into my right knee, a 50 cal. machine fall on my other knee, a back and head injury,and no one seems to know where my medical records are from my active duty days.ive contacted NPRC in st louie and the VA
infantry vet

United States

#13 May 29, 2012
The problem is that no one cares. We are just a number. With the draw backs and everything your probly not going to get anywhere
Crazy Vet

Chicago, IL

#15 Jun 11, 2012
infantry vet wrote:
The problem is that no one cares. We are just a number. With the draw backs and everything your probly not going to get anywhere
It is hard to get diagnosed with PTSD. However, if you act crazy enough you'll eventually get it. I beat my wife a few times, got a few DUIs, went crazy on a few people including police officers and I got me a big montly check. Now I hang out at the gym, drink beers in the evening and got to counseling every once in a while to prove that I'm still crazy. Since I am almost 100% PTSD people expect me to act crazy so I get away with a few things. Don't give up and you'll get your check.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Hate FT campbell

Jacksonville, FL

#22 Sep 15, 2012
I Have been diagnosed with ptsd with major depression, ive been doing my claim for 2 years now. i would have been paid by now but i missed my appointment for my ratings. i think its very easy to get 100% disability rating. i dont know mine yet but im almost certian its 100%
TruePatriot33

Lafayette, LA

#49 Oct 6, 2012
Pocket Book Psychologist wrote:
Being diagnosed with 100% PTSD is serious and requires a high level of mental incompetences. Take a look at the rating on the Military website for their definition:
38 C.F.R.§ 4.130, DC 9411
General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders:
Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought process or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation occupation, or own name …………………..100%
This level of mental imparment is rare and for someone to get this level--they have endured serious trauma. At this level you become a threat to yourself and others. I've known of few people who are at this level and their life has been a living hell. They couldn't stay married or be around their children.
You might qualify for a partial disability...maybe 40/50%. If you truly have a 100% PTSD. The military is starting to crack down on people who are falsifying PTSD and even requiring veterans to prove they have not rehabilitated. According to the DMV-IV it is one of the most rehabilitable disorders.
Again, this is a tough diagnosis because so many fake it to draw checks--it is a shame that someone would scam the government, but that is the world we live in.
Two of your comments piss me off and lead me to believe your obviously not a combat vet and your a complete idiot. The first is when you say that PTSD is one of the most rehabilitatable disorders, which by the way you misspelled. I'm not sure what the DMV-IV is, nor do I care. But I can tell you from personal experience that PTSD is a living nightmare and you are a dumb ass if you believe everything you read on the Internet. The second was the comment you made about it being ashamed that someone would want to scam the government, that its just the world we live in. The government scams "us", its people every day, and it's people like you and your way of thinking that allow it to continue. The government has turned it's back on its people and more importantly on its returning combat vets. PTSD or not, disabled vets are getting scammed everyday out of ratings and percentages they deserve and have earned literally with blood, sweat and tears. I wouldn't expect you to agree or even begin to understand where I coming from. I am a true American and patriot and it enrages me that our government has failed. You tree hugging hippie government stooge, you disgust me.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sorry

United States

#75 Oct 9, 2012
Marine Veteran wrote:
I have been seeing a counselor for 2 years due to PTSD issues, but have been denied disability over and over because I work. I work because I have to eat, but day to day tasks are becoming an issue. I won't go into detail, but getting 100% PTSD Disability seems impossible.
I am so sorry for all of you who have posted about PTSD. My heart breaks for you all. My brother has it from being in Iraq and it is so sad to see someone you love hurting and know that you can't help them. I would call anyone who will listen and explain to them all the issues you are having and see if at least one person will help you. Good luck to you and God bless you all. thank you for all of your sacrifices
B1D 19k

Großkrotzenburg, Germany

#101 Nov 26, 2012
I was In iraq for 15 months in ar ramadi iraq. lost alot of freinds and seen alot of deaths, Ive been out of the amry since 2007 resided in germany because facing the fact of our goverment and the way people are created to beleive and so called support for our troop with a damn bumper sticker just makes me sick. I was hit in the neck from a sniper in 2006, blown up twice in a tank, end of 2006, blown up and flown into a tank 2007 got out of the army and lived with it. I thought that i was a freak and didnt know what was wrong with me, until this year i moved back to the states and joined the reserves, a few months later they sent me back home and told me i was incapable to serve andymore. They sent me for my first time to the Va in palm beach florida, i was than explained i had a shit load of issues,Treatment medications and so on . I than met up with a group if veitnam vets, spoke with them shared thoughts and reliesed we are not at all differnt in our problems or ways of thinking. the difference is only that they have been dealing with there problems for over 40 freaking years. i was sad but at the same time enlightend. PTSD is a part of my life along with all the issues i have physically. i live with it and try as little as possible to deal with it, for me all i needed was to understand it, medication and councululing bakes everything worse. i have 12 claims in right now and have know idea how long it will take for something to happen if something happens at all. i have 3 kids been married for 7 years and im 26 years old. I have a long life ahead of me and i plan to live it with or without toe VA. If anyone needs some important phone numbers of help of anykind feel free to contact me with anything. sometimes just talking to another vet with similar problems helps with moving on. thanks to all who have given what they have gaven...

“Boogie Chill'un”

Level 6

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#103 Nov 26, 2012
Cool Hand Clem wrote:
What a bunch of bums!
Hey, weren't you in 'nam? Now, you're calling other vets "bums"? My grandpa was WWII France.....he's in assisted living now, and can't hear it thunder. Guess he's a turd now too? GTFO, you POS.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
look

London, KY

#104 Nov 26, 2012
I respect anyone who has served in our armed forces and I'm so sorry you are going thru what you are. I have never been in the service but have been diagnosed with ptsd due to an assault when I was younger. Also depressive disorder and dementia due to head trauma (during the assault). Educationally, I'm still intact, mentally, no & I'll never be. I'm honestly glad that I at least have diagnosises now. I am in my mid 30s, I work 28 hrs a week when I'm able, but not in the field I trained in. I was told that my mental state would not allow it. Crazy? No. I'm still me, but the assault left me forever changed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 min Chalupa Batgirl 167,780
Brian v's mother 2 hr John whang 7
I need help with Government service question ASAP 2 hr John whang 12
Kingsford 2 hr John whang 72
Looking for Good Assisted Living Facility in So... 2 hr John whang 2
Affair at the Monticello Post Office 2 hr John whang 20
John whang got caught 2 hr John whang 13

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages