Are the Bengals for real?

Posted in the Somerset Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Marvin Lewis

Richmond, KY

#1 Sep 24, 2012
Dalton seems to be getting better and better and A.j.Green is a top 5 reciever in the league.Alot of young talent at reciever but the defense hasnt looked that good.

Level 4

Since: Jun 12

Brownsville, TN

#2 Sep 24, 2012
Last year they had a really good Defense believe it or not. If they can get that defense to play the same as they did last year and maybe a little better then yes they are for real.

Any time you have a wide receiver like A.J. Green you have a chance to win games. And now we have an entire group of WR's that are decent to exceptional. I think they will goto the playoffs again. And maybe win a playoff game for a change.

The problem is, they play in the Hardest Division in Football. And that is always going to be an uphill battle. If they played in another division they would be better. Esp.. since NE is down this year.
Jon Gruden

United States

#3 Sep 24, 2012
DaGasssMan wrote:
Last year they had a really good Defense believe it or not. If they can get that defense to play the same as they did last year and maybe a little better then yes they are for real.
Any time you have a wide receiver like A.J. Green you have a chance to win games. And now we have an entire group of WR's that are decent to exceptional. I think they will goto the playoffs again. And maybe win a playoff game for a change.
The problem is, they play in the Hardest Division in Football. And that is always going to be an uphill battle. If they played in another division they would be better. Esp.. since NE is down this year.
No. They are not for real. Their defense is horrendous. Here are their current defensive ranks out of 32 teams: yardage 29th, passing yardage 22nd, rushing yardage 31st, scoring 30th. And that is with one of their 3 games against the Browns. One week after Brandon Weeden went 12-35 for 118 yards with 0 TDs and 4 INTs vs the Eagles he went 26-37 for 318 yards 2 TDs and 0 INTs vs the Bengals. They'll win some shootouts but they are a 6-8 win team.
John Madden

United States

#4 Sep 24, 2012
DaGasssMan wrote:
Last year they had a really good Defense believe it or not. If they can get that defense to play the same as they did last year and maybe a little better then yes they are for real.
Any time you have a wide receiver like A.J. Green you have a chance to win games. And now we have an entire group of WR's that are decent to exceptional. I think they will goto the playoffs again. And maybe win a playoff game for a change.
The problem is, they play in the Hardest Division in Football. And that is always going to be an uphill battle. If they played in another division they would be better. Esp.. since NE is down this year.
No, they are not for real. Their defense may have been adequate last season but this season it is just awful. Here is where the rank so far out of 32 teams: total yardage allowed 29th, passing yardage allowed 22nd, rushing yardage allowed 31st, points allowed 30th. And that is with one of their 3 games against the awful Browns offense. In fact against the Eagles in week one Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden went 12-35 for 118 yards 0 TD and 4 INT. The next week against the Bengals Weeden went 26-37 322 yards 2 TD and 0 INT. They will win some shootouts but this is a 6-8 win team with this defense and head coach.

Level 4

Since: Jun 12

Brownsville, TN

#5 Sep 24, 2012
LOL, you do realize that they play 16 game seasons now right? I cannot take anything you say for real because of this.

Their defense will come together because of their defensive coaching (Mike Zimmer) one of the best in the business. They had a few injuries to defense already and that is why they sucked it up. Once they get some people back they will do fine. As long as they can win 2 more of their next 4 they will have at worst 8/8 season. I am guessing 10/6 if that doesn't buy a playoff spot then that sucks.

Jacksonville is who they play next so I have a good feeling about them winning. The Browns always play the Bengals hard, and its usually a shootout. And the Bengals will win at home next time against Baltimore.

I used to hate Marvin Lewis, he basically let the team go wild back when Chad became Ocho. He has the team back under control now because the team is basically new again. Not many people remain from that time and the locker room has basically done a 180. I think he will do fine now that the Chad Johnson Cancer is gone.
John Madden

United States

#6 Sep 24, 2012
Yes, I know full well that the season is 16 games. I also know that the secondary and linebacking corps is healthy...and that they suck. Those groups are not going to improve. As long as Rey, Clements, Maualuga, Mays and Pac Man Jones are being counted on it will not matter who is coaching them. Statistically they were a good defense last season only because of a weak non-division schedule and the poor group of starting quarterbacks that they went up against. Here's the murderer's row of starting quarterbacks that they defeated: Colt McCoy twice, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Blaine Gabbart, Curtis Painter, Matt Hasselbeck, Tavaris Jackson, Kellen Clemens and John Skelton. Of those only Gabbart and Fitzpatrick are still NFL starters. Their defensive numbers were largely a mirage. Look what happened to them when they played teams with competent quarterbacks. After these next 3 games in which they should go no worse than 2-1 they play in order: Pittsburgh, Denver, The Giants, at Kansas City, Oakland, at San Diego, Dallas, at Philadelphia, at Pittsburgh and Baltimore. Find me 5 or 6 wins in there with this defense. If they go 3-0 in the next three games I think they finish 8-8, anything less and they are below .500.

“Boogie Chill'un”

Level 6

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#7 Sep 25, 2012
John Madden wrote:
Yes, I know full well that the season is 16 games. I also know that the secondary and linebacking corps is healthy...and that they suck. Those groups are not going to improve. As long as Rey, Clements, Maualuga, Mays and Pac Man Jones are being counted on it will not matter who is coaching them. Statistically they were a good defense last season only because of a weak non-division schedule and the poor group of starting quarterbacks that they went up against. Here's the murderer's row of starting quarterbacks that they defeated: Colt McCoy twice, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Blaine Gabbart, Curtis Painter, Matt Hasselbeck, Tavaris Jackson, Kellen Clemens and John Skelton. Of those only Gabbart and Fitzpatrick are still NFL starters. Their defensive numbers were largely a mirage. Look what happened to them when they played teams with competent quarterbacks. After these next 3 games in which they should go no worse than 2-1 they play in order: Pittsburgh, Denver, The Giants, at Kansas City, Oakland, at San Diego, Dallas, at Philadelphia, at Pittsburgh and Baltimore. Find me 5 or 6 wins in there with this defense. If they go 3-0 in the next three games I think they finish 8-8, anything less and they are below .500.
The secondary is not healthy. Kirkpatrick is out, Allen is out, and Leon Hall is not fully recovered from his Achilles injury. We have third stringers starting in the secondary right now. At linebacker, Thomas Howard is out, as is Moch. Add to the fact that Carlos Dunlap hadn't played until Sunday, and Pat Simms STILL hasn't played, it's easy to see why the defense has struggled. That's five starters out, and two important rotation guys out. There has been ZERO pass rush until this Sunday, exposing the weaknesses in the secondary. It's no coincidence that the pass rush showed back up with the return of Dunlap. He took some double teams, which opened the door for Michael Johnson.

Look, no one has been as critical of this team as me. I can't stand Mike Brown. That said, it's a fairly young team that will only get better as starters return. It's a tough division, but they should be fine. To say they are healthy on defense is an outright false statement though.
John Madden

Lexington, KY

#8 Oct 14, 2012
DaGasssMan wrote:
LOL, you do realize that they play 16 game seasons now right? I cannot take anything you say for real because of this.
Their defense will come together because of their defensive coaching (Mike Zimmer) one of the best in the business. They had a few injuries to defense already and that is why they sucked it up. Once they get some people back they will do fine. As long as they can win 2 more of their next 4 they will have at worst 8/8 season. I am guessing 10/6 if that doesn't buy a playoff spot then that sucks.
Jacksonville is who they play next so I have a good feeling about them winning. The Browns always play the Bengals hard, and its usually a shootout. And the Bengals will win at home next time against Baltimore.
I used to hate Marvin Lewis, he basically let the team go wild back when Chad became Ocho. He has the team back under control now because the team is basically new again. Not many people remain from that time and the locker room has basically done a 180. I think he will do fine now that the Chad Johnson Cancer is gone.
How we lookin' now? They went 3-3 during the easy part of their schedule. They needed to go 5-1. It will be a minor miracle if they finish 8-8.

“One day at a time”

Level 6

Since: Oct 12

----<>-----<>----<>-----<>---

#9 Oct 14, 2012
Ask Cleveland what they think about the Bengals...lol!

34-24
Cotton Selvy

London, KY

#11 Oct 14, 2012
Andy Dalton 4 turnovers! The Bengals make me mad. Also, I'm fat.

“Boogie Chill'un”

Level 6

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#12 Oct 15, 2012
After yesterday, I'd have to say no. The Browns? Really?
John Madden

Lexington, KY

#14 Nov 4, 2012
DaGasssMan wrote:
LOL, you do realize that they play 16 game seasons now right? I cannot take anything you say for real because of this.
Their defense will come together because of their defensive coaching (Mike Zimmer) one of the best in the business. They had a few injuries to defense already and that is why they sucked it up. Once they get some people back they will do fine. As long as they can win 2 more of their next 4 they will have at worst 8/8 season. I am guessing 10/6 if that doesn't buy a playoff spot then that sucks.
Jacksonville is who they play next so I have a good feeling about them winning. The Browns always play the Bengals hard, and its usually a shootout. And the Bengals will win at home next time against Baltimore.
I used to hate Marvin Lewis, he basically let the team go wild back when Chad became Ocho. He has the team back under control now because the team is basically new again. Not many people remain from that time and the locker room has basically done a 180. I think he will do fine now that the Chad Johnson Cancer is gone.
So how do you feel about that 10-6 record prediciton now? I tried to tell you that they sucked.

“One day at a time”

Level 6

Since: Oct 12

----<>-----<>----<>-----<>---

#15 Nov 4, 2012
more like 6-10...if they get on a hot streak.

Level 4

Since: Jun 12

Brownsville, TN

#16 Nov 6, 2012
They should have won a few of those games. Sadly I guess they aren't for real.

At least we will get another decent pick in the draft.

I still think they will go 8-8

“Boogie Chill'un”

Level 6

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#17 Nov 6, 2012
DaGasssMan wrote:
They should have won a few of those games. Sadly I guess they aren't for real.
At least we will get another decent pick in the draft.
I still think they will go 8-8
Lifer here, no way we make 8-8....sad.
John Madden

Atlanta, GA

#18 Nov 6, 2012
DaGasssMan wrote:
They should have won a few of those games. Sadly I guess they aren't for real.
At least we will get another decent pick in the draft.
I still think they will go 8-8
Would you like to place a wager on that? I'll even give you 3-1 odds.

Level 4

Since: Jun 12

Brownsville, TN

#19 Nov 13, 2012
Seems like every time I make a wager I lose no matter what the odds are. SO no thanks.

But like I said the Bengals are a better team than they look on paper. They just beat the Giants pretty easily and that is something most of you thought wouldn't happen.

I still say 8/8 but we shall see.

Level 4

Since: Jun 12

Brownsville, TN

#20 Nov 13, 2012
Here are the teams who I think they will beat for sure that they play the next few weeks.

Kansas City

San Diego

Philadelphia

Baltimore... This is going to be hard but we always play them tough and we usually split games with them.

If they beat Dallas and or Pittsburgh they may be in the playoffs.

At worst they go 7/9 which isn't horrible because of the division they are in. Keep in mind the Bengals are a very young team still. And since they play in this division it toughens them up pretty fast. So next season they could go a lot farther. Or I hope they do but that is me being a fan and not a hater, like what seems like most of you guys are.

“One day at a time”

Level 6

Since: Oct 12

----<>-----<>----<>-----<>---

#21 Nov 13, 2012
7-9 sounds about right but not good enough for the playoffs...

“Boogie Chill'un”

Level 6

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#22 Nov 13, 2012
DaGasssMan wrote:
Seems like every time I make a wager I lose no matter what the odds are. SO no thanks.
But like I said the Bengals are a better team than they look on paper. They just beat the Giants pretty easily and that is something most of you thought wouldn't happen.
I still say 8/8 but we shall see.
Even I had this one chalked up as a loss....who knew? That said, it all depends on which team shows up. The one that beat New York, or the one that lost to frickin Cleveland. I still don't see 8-8 because of consistency issues. Although, the return of Pat Sims helps a bunch. Guy eats up blockers and clogs the gut...like any good NT does. I think it's no coincidence the LB's, DE's, and T's looked better on the same day of Big Pat's first game back.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lexington. Or bowling green 18 min Will 14
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 40 min _Zoey_ 10,783
Right To Work Legislation in Pulaski 1 hr in the know 9
***Want A Job--Hide the Tattoos*** (Aug '09) 2 hr Tattooed-N-Employed 31
Word Association (Feb '09) 2 hr Red_Forman 11,912
Sully's Restaurant 5 hr in the know 6
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 6 hr Hatti_Hollerand 23,472
New Office holders. Same stupid costly mistakes 14 hr just sayin 58
Somerset Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Somerset People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:54 am PST

NBC Sports 8:54AM
Andy Dalton replaces Aaron Rodgers on Pro Bowl roster
Yahoo! Sports 9:39 AM
Dalton to replace Rodgers for Pro Bowl
NFL10:12 AM
Andy Dalton added to Pro Bowl roster
NBC Sports12:57 PM
Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton headed to his 2nd Pro Bowl
NBC Sports 3:15 AM
Marvin Lewis on Andy Dalton: We don't have time to waste on QB competition