Retired police chiefs join forces in new business venture

After retiring from police careers that have spanned more than 112 cumulative years and included decades of navigation through cash-strapped budgets in the fishbowl of local and state politics, three well-known retired police chiefs in Santa Cruz County are gearing up to hang a new shingle: law enforcement expertise for sale. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Odd Man Out

Aptos, CA

#24 Aug 29, 2010
Did you notice Skerry wasn't invited to the party. Could it be that he gets along with former chiefs about as well as he gets along with the current ones, or his own department for that matter.
Best ever

San Jose, CA

#25 Aug 29, 2010
Ehle is the best. There are a very select few cops out there who can match his experience, knowledge and leadership. Congrats Chief Ehle,Belcher and Medina!
Best ever

San Jose, CA

#26 Aug 29, 2010
local 53years wrote:
Itís surprising to me that Belcher and Medina would team up with a snake in the grass like Ehle. That guy is like talking to a used car salesman, shaking your right hand while removing your wallet with his left. Ask anyone at the City of Capitola there was a party when the guy left.
You are wrong fella. In fact, you are the guy who was forced out because YOU were the liability. Good night Todd, enjoy your late night internet posts while real cops are out doing work.
SC Local

San Jose, CA

#27 Aug 29, 2010
Mature Man in San Jose wrote:
My Grandpa told me years ago, if you want to learn something, talk to the people who have done it! That's what these 3 guys bring to the table. You people that show your ignorance by criticizing what you know nothing about, is insulting. Police, Sheriff departments, private companies and corporations will benefit nicely by the service these three professionals will offer. The fact they draw a pension and collect from the profits of their business is really no concern. Good luck guys. Prosper, mentor, build your relationships and enjoy the success.
God Bless you! You are absolutely correct. These fine men served many years of service, outside of 8 to 5 jobs with Christmas off. Not to mention, they have shot at people and been shot at. These retired warriors will always succeed because they know no other way to live. The people here who bash these men have no idea what it's like to walk ONE day in their shoes. Best of luck to those guys!
your jealous

United States

#29 Aug 29, 2010
eliot wrote:
You "retire" so you can collect retirement pay... and use that to launch a new business. Wow, this is so wrong. Glad they can sleep at night.
What would you do. They put paid their retirement dues, put in their 30 years, and retired as planned. They obviously put an effort to stay healthy during their lives and now they have another opportunity. Complain all you want about the retirement system, but this is the one that is in place, don't blame these guys. Should they give it all back to the state? Should they sit at home all day and get sick?
Reality Check

United States

#30 Aug 29, 2010
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
So because they will do other work rather than sit around the house, they shouldn't get paid??? God, you are really a jealous idiot.
They're already GETTING paid! Those who defend the 50-55 'retirement' age claim that's reasonable because the profession wears the retiree out and he's unable to safely perform his duties. Belcher 'retired', got paid for his retirement (at over $150K/yr), and then did the same job for Palo Alto. I'm fine paying retirement for those at the end of their careers. But the current twisted system has one 'retiring', then 'contracting' for the same organization, hence double dipping.
Aptos Native

Marina, CA

#32 Aug 29, 2010
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
They're already GETTING paid! Those who defend the 50-55 'retirement' age claim that's reasonable because the profession wears the retiree out and he's unable to safely perform his duties. Belcher 'retired', got paid for his retirement (at over $150K/yr), and then did the same job for Palo Alto. I'm fine paying retirement for those at the end of their careers. But the current twisted system has one 'retiring', then 'contracting' for the same organization, hence double dipping.
It's not double dipping....they own and run a business. Contracting is not actually working for the agency, they are being paid for a service. Thats it.
HISTORY

Watsonville, CA

#33 Aug 29, 2010
History II wrote:
<quoted text>
? I'm guessing they stepped on you, you piece of ****! These guys had to remove horrible cops like you because you don't belong. I'm so sick of retired **** off cops on this website running their mouths because they are jealous. Take a look in the mirror and realize there's always someone better buddy.
Anger Therapy
Future Shock

Santa Cruz, CA

#34 Aug 30, 2010
Perfect example for raising the retirement age.
eliot

Santa Cruz, CA

#35 Aug 30, 2010
your jealous wrote:
<quoted text>
What would you do. They put paid their retirement dues, put in their 30 years, and retired as planned. They obviously put an effort to stay healthy during their lives and now they have another opportunity. Complain all you want about the retirement system, but this is the one that is in place, don't blame these guys. Should they give it all back to the state? Should they sit at home all day and get sick?
Jealous, who wouldn't be-this is a plum deal for some and a bum deal for the rest of us. I would volunteer my time to the community that paid me so well and continues to pay me so well. Retirement is for people who are "tired" and need to withdraw from business because of this. This system is out dated and old fashioned. We can't afford enough police or fire people for our streets today because of the poor condition of our City budget. The way things are set up there will only be more cash strapped budgets ahead. Lucky us.
eliot

Santa Cruz, CA

#36 Aug 30, 2010
Aptos Native wrote:
<quoted text>
What? Are you serious???
These guys put in their time and retired when they were able to. If it is their wish to start a business, why not??? Who are you to say they can or cant spend their retirement money doing something worth while? WHo are you to dictate how they spend their well earned retirement checks?
Why dont you go get a job that earns retirement....put in the years....and retire. If they travelled on their retirement...would you be **** also? Time to get your cranialanalectomy....you know...that procedure to get your head out of your arse!
my, my, you are not a gentleman.
Belchers a bad joke

Alamo, CA

#37 Aug 30, 2010
My personal experience with Mr. Belcher when he was SC Chief was when he lied in a letter to cover up the incompetent and dishonest investigation, impoundment and loss of my $2000 utility trailer in 2002.

It's a long complicated story that includes dishonest and erroneous abandoned vehicle report with incorrect license number, false information on investigation forms, police personnel deliberately withholding towing information, denial of due process storage hearing, false arrest, and a variety of serious City legal maneuvers to intimidate me and cover up a police auditor's investigation of Belcher's deliberate non-investigation.

Then Sgt. Clark summed it up nicely in a brief telephone conversation where I inquired how Chief Belcher could change a formal demand for a formal investigation into an "informal inquiry" (which in fact was doing nothing). Clark's response was "He can do any damn thing he wants; it's HIS department!"

I've got reams of documents evidencing all this.
When I handed the City Attorney a formal demand for claims in 2003, they never even bothered to respond.

Unfortunately the statute of limitations for tort has long ago run, but I'll never forgive the City for the incredibly arrogant and corrupt manner in which the whole incident was (mis)handled.
Oversee_it

San Jose, CA

#38 Sep 10, 2010
Have fun with that Slander law suit!
Belchers a bad joke wrote:
My personal experience with Mr. Belcher when he was SC Chief was when he lied in a letter to cover up the incompetent and dishonest investigation, impoundment and loss of my $2000 utility trailer in 2002.
It's a long complicated story that includes dishonest and erroneous abandoned vehicle report with incorrect license number, false information on investigation forms, police personnel deliberately withholding towing information, denial of due process storage hearing, false arrest, and a variety of serious City legal maneuvers to intimidate me and cover up a police auditor's investigation of Belcher's deliberate non-investigation.
Then Sgt. Clark summed it up nicely in a brief telephone conversation where I inquired how Chief Belcher could change a formal demand for a formal investigation into an "informal inquiry" (which in fact was doing nothing). Clark's response was "He can do any damn thing he wants; it's HIS department!"
I've got reams of documents evidencing all this.
When I handed the City Attorney a formal demand for claims in 2003, they never even bothered to respond.
Unfortunately the statute of limitations for tort has long ago run, but I'll never forgive the City for the incredibly arrogant and corrupt manner in which the whole incident was (mis)handled.
Belchers a bad joke

Alamo, CA

#39 Sep 11, 2010
I certainly have enough documented evidence to prove Mr. Belcher was lying. I would welcome the opportunity to depose the parties involved (though I'm certain their memories would fail them during testimony).

The only reason I raised this story is because it reflects on the man's character as well as his ability to conduct an honest investigation.

Even City Mgr Dick Wilson was a party to the cover up, having committed perjury during a related civil injunction suit which the City unsuccessfully pursued to restrict my records inquiry demands.

Unfortunately the old adage of power corrupting character has eternal truth. The city administration of SC is still a tightly controlled self serving network; only the faces have changed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Soledad Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Caught with shiv, prisoner adds more years to l... (Jun '14) 9 hr againstthewind 7
SUSD (soledad school district) (May '13) 9 hr superintendentsuck 7
Review: A -1 Self Serve Auto Wreckers Fri JJ Salinas 1
soledad dog catcher Jan 28 againstthewind 12
Boyfriend of slain vendor can't fathom shooting (Jan '11) Jan 28 lwork2changeit 7
Salinas logs second, third homicides of 2015 Jan 28 work2changeit 2
ILLEGALS-Unions AGAINST AMERICANS Jan 21 ILLEGALS-UNIONS-v... 1
Soledad Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Soledad People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:19 pm PST