Retired police chiefs join forces in ...

Retired police chiefs join forces in new business venture

There are 34 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Aug 29, 2010, titled Retired police chiefs join forces in new business venture. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

After retiring from police careers that have spanned more than 112 cumulative years and included decades of navigation through cash-strapped budgets in the fishbowl of local and state politics, three well-known retired police chiefs in Santa Cruz County are gearing up to hang a new shingle: law enforcement expertise for sale.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Eug

Watsonville, CA

#1 Aug 29, 2010
If you are all type A's and not ready to retire and do nothing, why did you retire?
read

Milpitas, CA

#2 Aug 29, 2010
it says to try something new
Mr Ed

Santa Cruz, CA

#3 Aug 29, 2010
Eug wrote:
If you are all type A's and not ready to retire and do nothing, why did you retire?
So they could double dip of course!
Andy Mayberry

Santa Cruz, CA

#4 Aug 29, 2010
Well, good luck to the Geezer Corps. Don't they have grandkids or fishing poles or something?

I am trying to imagine the City of SF or New York City hiring these small town guys to figure out some huge municipal puzzle. Hehehehehe, Sorry, it's too funny.

I know, this is a TV pilot: The return of Marshall McCloud. Which one will trailer their horses around?
eliot

Davenport, CA

#5 Aug 29, 2010
You "retire" so you can collect retirement pay... and use that to launch a new business. Wow, this is so wrong. Glad they can sleep at night.
local 53years

Paso Robles, CA

#6 Aug 29, 2010
Itís surprising to me that Belcher and Medina would team up with a snake in the grass like Ehle. That guy is like talking to a used car salesman, shaking your right hand while removing your wallet with his left. Ask anyone at the City of Capitola there was a party when the guy left.
BlondeAmbition

Wilmington, DE

#7 Aug 29, 2010
Eug wrote:
MONEY.
Jack A Concerned Citizen

United States

#8 Aug 29, 2010
Boy there is real expertise here. They never fixed Santa Cru when they were the boss and now they want to continue to get paid for something they will not fix another time around. We all know the problem 1 word MEXICAN. So tell me how Terry Medina is going to do . We the people JUST want you to implement the laws on the books and stop trying to make money off of it. THESE GUYS Didnt do there jobs when we were paying them. Just another scam
Huh

United States

#9 Aug 29, 2010
eliot wrote:
You "retire" so you can collect retirement pay... and use that to launch a new business. Wow, this is so wrong. Glad they can sleep at night.
They are probably sleeping like a baby each and every night while thanking the Democrats in our State Assembly and Senate (past and present) for providing them the opportunity to retire in such luxuary and security at the taxpayers expense and being able to still be young enough to pursue additional income. Be greatful they have not been rehired as temporary employees for the same government entity they retired from as they would then be officially double dipping at the taxpayers trough! A PERS retiree can collect up to 970 hours of income from a government entity before having their PERS retirement benefits reduced! You see a lot of retired officers working as temporary employees for the same agency they retired from!
Poplicola

United States

#10 Aug 29, 2010
Government service "professionals" do this crap all the time and it's not just these old cops. Why yes, it is easier to deal with government agencies when you buy their old, "has-been" buddies as consultants.

That they don't prosecute this practice as graft, protection-racketeering and influence-peddling doesn't mean it isn't.

It would seem that our government agencies are clubs that take care of their own and happen to subvert a little thing known as equal protection under the law.
Reality Check

San Jose, CA

#13 Aug 29, 2010
"...I didn't quit work because I wanted to quit working. I quit because I wanted to try something new."

He forgot to add, "and pension rules mean that I get paid my the vast majority of my previous salary whether I work there or not."
Mature Man in San Jose

San Jose, CA

#14 Aug 29, 2010
My Grandpa told me years ago, if you want to learn something, talk to the people who have done it! That's what these 3 guys bring to the table. You people that show your ignorance by criticizing what you know nothing about, is insulting. Police, Sheriff departments, private companies and corporations will benefit nicely by the service these three professionals will offer. The fact they draw a pension and collect from the profits of their business is really no concern. Good luck guys. Prosper, mentor, build your relationships and enjoy the success.
Minor player big pond

Monterey, CA

#15 Aug 29, 2010
Old school, small town cops with old school concepts. I hope they buy a new how-to book becasue that group picture does not instill confidence.
Protected Mode

Monterey, CA

#16 Aug 29, 2010
local 53years wrote:
Itís surprising to me that Belcher and Medina would team up with a snake in the grass like Ehle. That guy is like talking to a used car salesman, shaking your right hand while removing your wallet with his left. Ask anyone at the City of Capitola there was a party when the guy left.
Good observation. If I were Chief Belcher or Chief Medina I would not turn my back on Ehle. Ehle is a confidence man with questionable character.
Seacliff Local

Brookdale, CA

#17 Aug 29, 2010
Rick Ehle is a total babe - too bad he's married!
Dirty Larry

Windsor, CA

#18 Aug 29, 2010
Eug wrote:
Because they were out of date and last time I checked it isn't 1985 anymore. Trust me you do not want these clowns hanging around any longer than they did. Watsonville is filled with a bunch of cowboy cops. Manny has his hands full cleaning house. Why do you think his two two people come from OUTSIDE the department. Terry let crap stink up the place.

To be honest the reason why they formed this group is that no one want to hire these guys even on a temp basis they are so out of day. Belcher as a P.I.? The last time he work a case Jimmy Carter was in office. Are you going to hire somebody like that?
Kathy Downmoore

United States

#19 Aug 29, 2010
Here piggy piggy,here piggy piggy.
Question

Foster City, CA

#21 Aug 29, 2010
Reality Check wrote:
"...I didn't quit work because I wanted to quit working. I quit because I wanted to try something new."
He forgot to add, "and pension rules mean that I get paid my the vast majority of my previous salary whether I work there or not."
So because they will do other work rather than sit around the house, they shouldn't get paid??? God, you are really a jealous idiot.
Lynn Gai- Santa Cruz CA

Santa Cruz, CA

#22 Aug 29, 2010
The best of luck in their private enterprise. These guys do have a lot of experience.

They will be a bit on the flip side now though. Self employment taxes and the multitude of other government requirements to do business.

The curiosity will be what the customers will be willing to pay compared to what their salaries were. Even if cities are their customers.
HISTORY

Watsonville, CA

#23 Aug 29, 2010
Poor Belcher and Medina!

Guess they never paid attention when a cop said "watch what you step on"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Soledad Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lacey Holt 43 min Pricklypear 1
Poll Is 1460 AM Racist radio catering to TEABAGGERS? (Sep '10) Nov 18 Trumpistanerz waltz 253
News Steinbeck classic tells tale of two men's bond (Mar '07) Nov 14 Juan Inamilyun 2
soledad does not need a movie theater (Feb '07) Nov 12 Delta1 6
China Hires Trump as Lobbyist Nov 9 Lobbyist News Times 1
News These woodpeckers are so weird scientists thoug... Nov 8 Pardon Pard 5
Slick as Catshitt on Linoleum Opens (May '16) Nov 5 Orange Prez 2

Soledad Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Soledad Mortgages