Your Town: Drivers using cell phones ...

Your Town: Drivers using cell phones targeted

There are 20 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Nov 27, 2010, titled Your Town: Drivers using cell phones targeted. In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

Nearly 370 citations were issued on two days this week to Central Coast drivers who used cell phones while driving, the California Highway patrol reported.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

anonymous

Watsonville, CA

#1 Nov 27, 2010
Yeah, and I would like to know if the law also applies to that POM officer I saw the other day driving a police suv through Ford Ord while chatting on his cell phone. Just sayin'.
none

United States

#2 Nov 27, 2010
Sorry but you did not catch me !!!!!!!!!!
dave

Salinas, CA

#3 Nov 27, 2010
cops are exempt
johnny

Mill Valley, CA

#4 Nov 27, 2010
obviously, the police in monterey don't know the law about driving while talking on the phone. they're worst than everyone else!!!!
fed-up

Monterey, CA

#5 Nov 27, 2010
Wow- I could be a cop, musn't take much training to sit at ANY street corner and hand out tickets for cell phone usage while driving- who DOESN'T see dozens of drivers doing this daily?!?! Please stop creating new laws if you wont be able to enforce them. Thank you.(and while we're at it- loud music is against the law, too- right?)
fed-up

Monterey, CA

#6 Nov 27, 2010
anonymous wrote:
Yeah, and I would like to know if the law also applies to that POM officer I saw the other day driving a police suv through Ford Ord while chatting on his cell phone. Just sayin'.
Ummmm- didn't you know??? POM police are ABOVE the law.....
Chuck U Farley

Chualar, CA

#7 Nov 27, 2010
Wow I feel SO MUCH safer now that the resources are being directed towards the REAL GANGSTAS, those killers talkin on their cell phones. Oh, and as mentioned above, make sure YOU CITE just about every cop in this county.
Steer Clear

Hilmar, CA

#8 Nov 27, 2010
Sorry but quit your whining folks. Keep your hands on the steering wheel when driving, or invest in a handsfree device. It may save your life. But if you insist on living in the last century and would rather drive with one hand, then a) I hope you get a HUGE fine, and b) stay the heck away from good drivers so you crash into us while you're on the phone complaining how you broke a nail.
Ron

Salinas, CA

#9 Nov 27, 2010
What I don't understand is ,I see a lot of beautiful white women especially the older ones driving around in a nice expensive car talking on the cell phone all the time. I just cant believe they can not afford a ear piece. And some of these are well respected women of the community. Also seen and heard a police officer yelling on the phone to who ever was at the other end while he was a the stop sign.
Juan

Salinas, CA

#10 Nov 27, 2010
Ron wrote:
What I don't understand is ,I see a lot of beautiful white women especially the older ones driving around in a nice expensive car talking on the cell phone all the time. I just cant believe they can not afford a ear piece. And some of these are well respected women of the community. Also seen and heard a police officer yelling on the phone to who ever was at the other end while he was a the stop sign.
Well I see the county employees on county vehicles on the phone all the time while driving.
meoff

Marina, CA

#11 Nov 27, 2010
Why is it allright for the police to drive around with a cell phone attatched to their ear?
Montereybaybbw

Marina, CA

#12 Nov 27, 2010
About time! I commute from Salinas to Seaside and most of the people going under the speed limit are either texting or talking on the phone...then they speed up and one rear ended me the other day at a red light. Fortunately, there was no harm done to cars or people but there could have been. Saw the same person texting again the next week. So sad. What will it take for them to learn?
benn murray

Carmel Valley, CA

#14 Nov 27, 2010
anonymous wrote:
You folks just don't understand why the police officer(s) are on their cell phones. This necessary because they are relaying messages to their headquarters. Too many citizens have police scanners and can overhear the secret messages and alert the perps. Now you know the rest of the story! Have a nice day and stay off the cells while driving.
Juan

Salinas, CA

#15 Nov 27, 2010
benn murray wrote:
<quoted text> You folks just don't understand why the police officer(s) are on their cell phones. This necessary because they are relaying messages to their headquarters. Too many citizens have police scanners and can overhear the secret messages and alert the perps. Now you know the rest of the story! Have a nice day and stay off the cells while driving.
Is the cell a company phone or their own personal. I did not know the police department supplied cell phone for their officers.
Otis

Salinas, CA

#16 Nov 27, 2010
Granted, there are a lot of cell phone users driving while talking, texting, sexting or whatever, and should be delt with accordingly. My question is, "who is going to cite the Salinas PD, and the Monterey County Sheriffs. From my observations I've noticed they are the biggest offenders of that law.
Otis

Salinas, CA

#17 Nov 27, 2010
Irregardless of the non-sensical answer or excuse being offered on their behalf. They(police) are not above the law they are sworn to uphold and obey.
Chuck U Farley

Chualar, CA

#18 Nov 27, 2010
benn murray wrote:
<quoted text> You folks just don't understand why the police officer(s) are on their cell phones. This necessary because they are relaying messages to their headquarters. Too many citizens have police scanners and can overhear the secret messages and alert the perps. Now you know the rest of the story! Have a nice day and stay off the cells while driving.
Why cant I relay important messages to MY HQ?? Or to my wife? Why are the P I G S above the LAW?? I say B S!!! IT SHOULD APPLY TO EVERYONE EQUALLY> My IG is 170, which i am sure is higher than most cops. IF I am forsed to pull off the road so should They
Criminal Cops

Monterey, CA

#19 Nov 28, 2010
Cops don't give a rat's ass about public safety. This handing out tickets for cell phone use is ONLY TO GENERATE MONEY. Talking on the phone while driving is not dangerous. Texting while driving is very dangerous though.

If cops cared about PUBLIC SAFETY, they would go arrest every POS gang banger in Monterey County. Gangsters are enemies of society, scum, worthless human garbage. This "lifestyle" must be eliminated in order to preserve society, freedom, safety, and peace. If cops cared about public safety, they would do this!
anonymous

Watsonville, CA

#20 Nov 28, 2010
Steer Clear wrote:
Sorry but quit your whining folks. Keep your hands on the steering wheel when driving, or invest in a handsfree device. It may save your life. But if you insist on living in the last century and would rather drive with one hand, then a) I hope you get a HUGE fine, and b) stay the heck away from good drivers so you crash into us while you're on the phone complaining how you broke a nail.
Oh, I'm not complaining about the law, I support it. But I do mind having to contend with law enforcement that are pulling people over and fining them for something they do themselves. It's rather hypocritical.
anonymous

Watsonville, CA

#21 Nov 28, 2010
benn murray wrote:
The POM officer I saw was laughing it up on his phone, and he did not seem to be in a hurry as he was waiting for a light to change.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Soledad Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is 1460 AM Racist radio catering to TEABAGGERS? (Sep '10) Fri pepper543 244
Review: First Security Services (May '14) Sep 18 bull breath bill 43
News Salinas tackles cannabis businesses fees Sep 17 Lt Gen Schnork 1
News Body found in Carmel Valley (Dec '08) Sep 15 linda burleson 6
News Villaraigosa craves a return to the spotlight, ... Sep 13 Well Well 2
News Undocumented teen the face of many's dreams, fears Sep 5 spytheweb 2
Cheap Trump Hats Sold Sep 2 pumpkin head 1

Soledad Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Soledad Mortgages