soddy-daisy history
nana bates

Luttrell, TN

#1 Jan 4, 2011
where did soddy-daisy get it's name. what is it's history? would appreciate info. thanks
Jim at LazyLake

Chattanooga, TN

#2 Jan 7, 2011
There are various tales about how Soddy and Daisy were named. One maintains Soddy is an anglicization of the Indian “Tsati” meaning sipping place. With Soddy Lake, the many creeks and streams, this could be true. A second states that Welch inhabitants corrupted the name of William Sodder’s Trading Post to “Soddy.” The Community of Daisy was named after Daisy Parks, daughter of Thomas Parks, who was the vice-president of the Tabler-Clendys Coal Company. Both Daisy and Soddy were thriving coal mining communities until the 1930's. A hosiery mill, turpentine plant, several pottery and tile kilns were active in Soddy and Daisy during the same period. In April 1969, the communities of Soddy and Daisy, extending for about 9 miles along U.S. 27, were incorporated.

Soddy Daisy, TN

#3 Mar 26, 2013
The previous comment is exactly what we were taught in civics class at Soddy-Daisy High School.

United States

#4 Sep 4, 2015
Does anyone have pictures of the old Hood home? It was to the south of Wal-Mart.

Mountain View, CA

#5 Nov 11, 2015
The latter story makes much more sense considering soddy lake wouldn't have existed until the 1940's and the Indians were forced out of the area about 100 years prior.

United States

#6 Feb 27, 2016
The Hood family operated the clay tile factory in Daisy in the early 1900's. They lived in a beautiful home located in Daisy, just south of the old Walmart that was across from Sequoia Road. I would like to find out something about what happened to the family.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Soddy-Daisy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Quills Intriguing (Sep '15) 9 hr Eternal truth 857
Judge Marty Lasley Tue wayne richardson 2
Kevin James (Sep '15) Oct 15 shaddy 27
Soddy Daisy Mail Carrier (Dec '15) Oct 14 Nooga1 7
pharmacies (Dec '11) Oct 13 me 6
tpi Oct 13 me 1
Cyndy Jones Smith Oct 13 Faith 1

Soddy-Daisy Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance