Citizens upbraid Socorro council, May...

Citizens upbraid Socorro council, Mayor Willie Gandara refuses to s...

There are 63 comments on the El Paso Times story from Oct 7, 2010, titled Citizens upbraid Socorro council, Mayor Willie Gandara refuses to s.... In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Indicted city Mayor Guillermo "Willie" Gandara Sr. refused to step down after City Council members read a resolution at a council meeting asking the mayor to resign.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Voters choice

United States

#1 Oct 8, 2010
Citizens elected them, citizens can reject them.

A RECALL is in order.

Throw the bums OUT!

Los ciudadanos los eligieron, los ciudadanos pueden rechazarlos.

RECUERDAN A está en orden.

Expulsar a los vagabundos!
Citizen of Socorro

El Paso, TX

#2 Oct 8, 2010
It is a shame that the City Council has acted in such a way to get Mr. Gandara out of office. I am still more concern with the City Representative action than anything else. The greed to control and the empowerment that each representative wants has shown the lack of respect that each has for others and the City of Socorro.
I agree with Mr. Gandara request,“That all City Council Representatives should step down”. With the selfishness that each has shown, it would be best that they all stepped down, vote to dis-incorporate, and start anew.(This will not happen, too many self righteous people controlling our City). I believe and as other do also, that we allow the City of El Paso to take over and pray for the best. There are too many people involved in Socorro that are more in-line with family, relatives, and compares issues then governmental.
Each of these Representatives that were voted into our government has a personal vendetta against one or the other. Not one (1), not even 1, of our members has the courage to admit that there are more personal feelings towards members controlling our government than there are governmental issues concerning the operations of our city.
This is why the City of Socorro will always be a Hornets Nest. Not until the Citizens of Socorro finally realize to vote for a qualified candidate and vote against these people who spend our money frugal.
How can the City Council so selfishly enact the following as stated in El Paso Times?
Among those expenses were the hiring of interim city manager Manny Soto with a $112,000 salary; a new municipal judge who is making almost $50,000; the construction of a new park for $1.5 million; the hiring of a new director for recreation services, former Socorro Mayor Trini Lopez, who is making $32,000; and the contract with a company to develop the city's master plan for $300,000.
Favoritism? When City Council (Not the Mayor) voted to hire Tini Lopez without any experience, unable to read or write properly, at a salary of $32,000 as Director for Recreational Services. This puzzles the heck out of me! Where is the money coming from? And then, Manny Soto salary of $112,000 when the average salary of a Socorro Citizen is ($16-19,000 a person/per year) way below the National Property Lines?
What are they thinking about, THEMSELVES! Citizen of Socorro, Wake up, Stand up and Fight against these corrupt members in our City Council! DISINCORPORATE NOW!
Just Me

United States

#3 Oct 8, 2010
Suky, people lose respect of elected officials when they there are accusations made against them. Mayor should do the right thing and resign! We are tired of hearing of corrupted officials and Gandara is accused of being one! There is no integrity left in Socorro!
Citizen of Socorro

El Paso, TX

#4 Oct 8, 2010
Just Me wrote:
Suky, people lose respect of elected officials when they there are accusations made against them. Mayor should do the right thing and resign! We are tired of hearing of corrupted officials and Gandara is accused of being one! There is no integrity left in Socorro!
Look into it deeper, Where is the money to paid for all these new positions? Why are the Council Members so nieve as to hired Trini Lopez who will only cause friction with others? Trini Lopez can't even read or write Spanish much less English.

Where are the principles in hiring?
deported

El Paso, TX

#5 Oct 8, 2010
Typical Corrupt Mexican politician. History is littered with them
SinVerguenza

Las Cruces, NM

#6 Oct 8, 2010
AFUERA, GANDARA!!!!
Socorro Tx Transplant

Alamogordo, NM

#7 Oct 8, 2010
Watching last nights' TV news, it appears to me Mr Gandara has had his way all his life and cannot the handle/control rejection. But, you the citizens of Socorro, voted for him and this city council. Now you have to live with your decision. City Rep Gloria Rodriguez said it best "This time it's the mayor who is causing trouble and the one making us look like a circus". Resign Mayor!
tony

Ashland, KY

#8 Oct 8, 2010
I agree that Mayor Gandara should stay in office until his trial decides his fate. The city council and the mayor should find common ground for the benefit of the community.
obama_bin_laden

United States

#9 Oct 8, 2010
Community activist Suky Ramos said council members should wait until a jury finds Mayor Gandara guilty or not guilty to make any decisions.

Wait until a jury find him guilty ir not? please, the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT DOES NOT investigate and prosecute you unless they have all the legal evidence they need.
Rodney King

El Paso, TX

#10 Oct 8, 2010
Can we all just get along?
Mike

United States

#11 Oct 8, 2010
Citizen of Socorro wrote:
It is a shame that the City Council has acted in such a way to get Mr. Gandara out of office. I am still more concern with the City Representative action than anything else. The greed to control and the empowerment that each representative wants has shown the lack of respect that each has for others and the City of Socorro.
I agree with Mr. Gandara request,“That all City Council Representatives should step down”. With the selfishness that each has shown, it would be best that they all stepped down, vote to dis-incorporate, and start anew.(This will not happen, too many self righteous people controlling our City). I believe and as other do also, that we allow the City of El Paso to take over and pray for the best. There are too many people involved in Socorro that are more in-line with family, relatives, and compares issues then governmental.
Each of these Representatives that were voted into our government has a personal vendetta against one or the other. Not one (1), not even 1, of our members has the courage to admit that there are more personal feelings towards members controlling our government than there are governmental issues concerning the operations of our city.
This is why the City of Socorro will always be a Hornets Nest. Not until the Citizens of Socorro finally realize to vote for a qualified candidate and vote against these people who spend our money frugal.
How can the City Council so selfishly enact the following as stated in El Paso Times?
Among those expenses were the hiring of interim city manager Manny Soto with a $112,000 salary; a new municipal judge who is making almost $50,000; the construction of a new park for $1.5 million; the hiring of a new director for recreation services, former Socorro Mayor Trini Lopez, who is making $32,000; and the contract with a company to develop the city's master plan for $300,000.
Favoritism? When City Council (Not the Mayor) voted to hire Tini Lopez without any experience, unable to read or write properly, at a salary of $32,000 as Director for Recreational Services. This puzzles the heck out of me! Where is the money coming from? And then, Manny Soto salary of $112,000 when the average salary of a Socorro Citizen is ($16-19,000 a person/per year) way below the National Property Lines?
What are they thinking about, THEMSELVES! Citizen of Socorro, Wake up, Stand up and Fight against these corrupt members in our City Council! DISINCORPORATE NOW!
Most people in socorro can't read or write english so these politicians can give themselves any salary the want, or get away with anything they want residents just think voting drmocrat will give them more entitlements, little do they know they are getting their town financially raped by these crooked politicians, same thing to a certain degree in El Paso.
Just Saying

El Paso, TX

#12 Oct 8, 2010
Corruption is everywhere, plain and simple. We the voters, vote for people who appear to be honest and vow to make the voters top priority. SUCKERS is what were are! Mayor Gandara you KNOW you are guilty as charged and not even the all mighty dollar is going to save you from this one. Do the people of Socorro a favor RESIGN!
Benito Camela

El Paso, TX

#13 Oct 8, 2010
Eres una mierda Gandara!!!!!!
Benito Camela

El Paso, TX

#14 Oct 8, 2010
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Most people in socorro can't read or write english so these politicians can give themselves any salary the want, or get away with anything they want residents just think voting drmocrat will give them more entitlements, little do they know they are getting their town financially raped by these crooked politicians, same thing to a certain degree in El Paso.
You got that right Mike, the majority of Socorro is made up of illegal immigrants or as we say pinchis mojados!
parral

El Paso, TX

#15 Oct 8, 2010
Citizens of Socorro, please pursue the dissolution of this city council. We can not afford to encourage this kind of business model for this city. The mayor is stubborn and will not bend. He is also ready to serve his interest only. We are a community of hardworking people being disgraced by our elected officials...again. Will we ever learn?
Rodney King

El Paso, TX

#16 Oct 8, 2010
You all (Mayor and council) are making asses of yourselves in front of everybody. Please conduct yourselves with the utmost respect. This is getting ridiculous. Your acting like a bunch of bickering old ladies. Please stop!
Government Cheese

San Antonio, TX

#17 Oct 8, 2010
It's the culture of corruption... Just like Juarez- without the drugs and guns. Nothing will change.
el paso times sux

El Paso, TX

#18 Oct 8, 2010
D0n't forget that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
GirlfromtheNorth

El Paso, TX

#19 Oct 8, 2010
Benito Camela wrote:
Eres una mierda Gandara!!!!!!
HELLO AMERICAN PLEASE!!!!
socorro vigilante

El Paso, TX

#20 Oct 8, 2010
el paso times sux wrote:
D0n't forget that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
you said it...that apple needs to roll a little further out into the other departments such as police and planning & zoning- the chief of police is as crooked as the letter Z- he dares asks for more money to give his henchmen, ooops! I mean police officers a raise?? they run the most dirty police department youve ever seen- from stealing confiscated items such as drugs and weapons they remove from the streets to taking bribes from offenders... planning and zoning? they need to start looking into Samuel Leonys side deals with contractors and developers- unusual bank account activities thru different banks- the buck doesnt stop here people-open your eyes!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Socorro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Should I apologize to Petro (Feb '15) 27 min Huey Goins 41
Virginia Democrat Governor Defies Federal Cour... 1 hr Huey Goins 6
What is the dumbist Petro statement? (Jul '12) 1 hr Huey Goins 17
Poll Is David Villanueva dumber than Petro? (Jul '13) 1 hr Huey Goins 51
The Illusion of Prosperity Wins the Black Vote 3 hr Hilary toyz 11
News Trade pact called threat to border economy 3 hr Evil flourishs in... 11
Do You Have What it Takes to be a Chicano no qu... 3 hr DC Dave 8

Socorro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Socorro Mortgages