County taxes set to increase

Full story: Walton Tribune

Already hit with an expected increase in their tax bill due to a rise in needs of the Walton County Board of Education, county residents can expect another increase as a result of county taxes as well.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Bill Davis- Walnut Grove

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2006

Property Taxes in Walton County
My property tax has increased 3 out of the last seven years in Walton County. I saw a notice in the Walton Tribune about a tax meeting where the public could find out why their taxes were increasing again so I decided to attend. The tax increases are 2.8 percent for the county and .97 % for the cities of Monroe, Social Circle and Loganville. The only way that I found out about the tax increase is from the ad on the last page of the Walton Tribune.
There were only three people there beside myself. One lady was retired and living on a fixed income. I am not sure the commissioners even listened to her. The meeting started at 5:30 and was over by 5:40. Only 50 % of the commissioners actually showed up so you can tell that this was actually a “done deal”. One man voiced his opinions. He wondered why he lived on an unpaved road and did not have county water but his taxes kept going up. The chairman stated that property tax evaluation was a state mandate and school board got 75% of the money. A taxpayer would call that “ passing the buck” but politicians call that “plausible deniability.” Another committee member: one of the three that did show said that the tax was only a .2 percent increase. I guess that he got his decimal point mixed up. The discussion was over as swiftly as it started and the meeting was closed for 20 minutes before the actual county commissioner’s meeting took place.
The new property tax increase was called item 802 on the agenda for the real commissioner’s meeting. You can go to the website for Walton county and look up different item numbers for different meeting days but there is nothing written to show who voted for what or what that item number was. I also could find no mention of the property tax increase on the website or why it was needed.
A lot of people were here now because of the discussion concerning the 140 million dollar Hard Labor Creek reservoir boon doggle. Did you think that this was Fulton County? If you sneezed in this meeting or you would have missed the vote on the property tax increase. Yes, the vote to increase your property tax was unanimous and it happened faster than water rolls off a ducks back. It happened right between the debate on paying Motorola and updating a concession stand in one of the softball parks.
The newspaper interviewed the county commissioner and he stated that the gas bill alone for next year was going to be $720,000. He must have meant natural gas bill for the new 64 million dollar county building on Hammond Road in Monroe. Or maybe the new jail close to Dekalb Tech. He also stated that they had to build a new outpost for the Georgia State patrol. That s all well and good but I am still trying to miss big potholes in my roads and am still burying dead animal bodies that the county won’t pick up off the roads. My daughter is going to school in portables and the High School is in fear of losing its teaching accreditation.
I am all for property tax increases if it is used for the taxpayers of Walton County but right now I am concerned where our taxes are going.
JM2006s

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2006

[quote] I am all for property tax increases if it is used for the taxpayers of Walton County but right now I am concerned where our taxes are going.[end quote]
You and me both! I live in the city of Loganville. I eceived me city and county tax bill recently. Most of the city taxes go to the schools. WHAT are they doing with it? Giving that fat raise to the School Super Tim Lull? The security cameras at the school didn't work for 1/2 of the first semester this year. Recall the "security issues" last year. Most kids do not have a text book. They have a "class set." Teacher are having to buy supplies such a printer paper to make copies of worksheets. The school has a limit set. The buses are way over crowded...3 to a seat!!!! The county and school websites are NOT up to date. The technology is there but they do not utilize it! One parent asked for records of expenses. By law you are to be charged a resaonable amount for the documents plus ? cents per page. What she stated she was asked to pay....you could have made a mortgage payment with and put some on the principal! Something to hide?? I'd say yes.
Loganville resident

Loganville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2007

Why is our taxes going up very year! There are people moving into new homes in walton county every day. That means more taxes being paid. I don't get it. Last year there were 125 homes sold in my neiborhood and i know thay all are paying at least $2000 every year. If you add that up thats $250,000 just from my neiborhood. I just don't get it. And are middle school is the worst condition school in Ga.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Social Circle Discussions

Search the Social Circle Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 15 min rename 39,388
GA Who do you support for Governor in Georgia in 2... (Oct '10) Apr 13 youfool 1,983
Auto Repair Apr 5 Sherry 1
WIMO sold, station returns with new name Apr 5 Jake_S 5
Woman shot in front of kids, suspect arrested i... Apr 3 mike 1
Meat & Greet to open on Jefferson St. (Sep '13) Mar 28 Christy S 4
Naughty snapchat? Mar 26 Hornygxrl 6
•••
•••

Social Circle News Video

•••
Social Circle Dating

more search filters

less search filters