Jim Carroll

Champion, PA

#1 Mar 31, 2008
Can anyone explain the origin of the name Social Circle? I was driving between Augusta and Atlanta and I saw the town's name mentioned on a billboard. I cannot imagine the source of the name. If you can help,thanks for the information.
Careless

United States

#2 Apr 18, 2008
Copied from:

www.dkeener.com/socialcircle/historical.html

A legend has been passed down about a group of men, meeting at the crossroads, who were sitting around the well having their usual drink. A stranger approached and was greeted with such warm hospitality, he said, "This is surely a social circle." From that time until the present, the name of the village has remained Social Circle. A replica of the original well now stands in the center of Social Circle and is more than just an eye-catcher for passing tourists. It's a symbol of the city's beginnings, and characterizes the spirit of the people of Social Circle and their friendship with others.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Social Circle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jeanie del vacchio Nov 14 I have proof 1
black fraternities (Apr '16) Nov 7 BeEatingYou 2
News Anti-Muslim fury greets proposals for U.S. mosques Nov '16 younggeezer 2
looking for a man (Jun '12) Nov '16 plum 11
Jobs Oct '16 lovinmom 4
How's Joe Chapman doing as Sheriff? (Feb '09) Oct '16 Joe Chapmans cous... 22
warning! Oct '16 west virginia girl 2

Social Circle Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance