Lone Wolf Ground Water District

Lone Wolf Ground Water District

Posted in the Snyder Forum

Water for The Furture

Abilene, TX

#1 May 16, 2013
Why is the Lone Wolf Ground Water District not imposing any rules to keep track of the amount of fresh ground water being pumped out in Mitchell County? What were they elected to do? We pay for the LWGWD and three employees through taxes. We expect them to do their jobs!
WuTang

Abilene, TX

#2 May 16, 2013
Google "Rule of Capture in Texas".
Part of the problem

Midland, TX

#3 May 17, 2013
Water for The Furture wrote:
Why is the Lone Wolf Ground Water District not imposing any rules to keep track of the amount of fresh ground water being pumped out in Mitchell County? What were they elected to do? We pay for the LWGWD and three employees through taxes. We expect them to do their jobs!
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. I had called down to the Water district with concern about a neighbor of mine selling water to out of town trucking companies, I talked to Mr. Lee for a good while and he was not aware of the situation. Within 30 minutes of our conversation, I saw him out here investigating the traffic from the well and have not seen any other trucking activity from that well since. "Water for the future", I suggest that if you know of a problem that the water district is not aware of, go talk to them about it. If you are so concerned for the future of groundwater in Mitchell County you would not be on Topix talking about this, you would be down at the water district office talking to them about it.
Sounds like you either have a vendetta against the employees down there, or you are just one of the many trouble makers in Mitchell County. You are part of the problem.
Citizen

United States

#4 May 18, 2013
RULE OF CAPTURE!
Wondering

Colorado City, TX

#5 May 19, 2013
The rule of capture is the right of the land owner to do what he wants with the ground water. However once the water is put into ponds on the surface, the water becomes surface water and by state law is actually owned by the state. The state of Texas owns all surface water.

So are the proceeds of the water sales going to the state?
CCItizen2

Colorado City, TX

#6 May 20, 2013
Wondering wrote:
The rule of capture is the right of the land owner to do what he wants with the ground water. However once the water is put into ponds on the surface, the water becomes surface water and by state law is actually owned by the state. The state of Texas owns all surface water.
You are funny. As funny as folks thinking the ground water district looks out for all of us. The only thing it ever did was look out for the few farmers who irrigate crops. And it can't even do that well.
Part of the problem

Midland, TX

#7 May 20, 2013
CCItizen2 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are funny. As funny as folks thinking the ground water district looks out for all of us. The only thing it ever did was look out for the few farmers who irrigate crops. And it can't even do that well.
Once againÂ… another ignorant citizen of Mitchell County who hides behind a computer screen & makes LITTLE to NO effort towards anything positive in this county. Except for the effort to stir the pot... We can ALWAYS rely on you "concerned citizens" to stir that pot!!!

Grow up.
Water for The Furture

Abilene, TX

#8 May 20, 2013
Part of the problem wrote:
<quoted text>
Once againÂ… another ignorant citizen of Mitchell County who hides behind a computer screen & makes LITTLE to NO effort towards anything positive in this county. Except for the effort to stir the pot... We can ALWAYS rely on you "concerned citizens" to stir that pot!!!
Grow up.
Are you an employee or a board member?
Part of the problem

Midland, TX

#9 May 20, 2013
Water for The Furture wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you an employee or a board member?
Neither.

I have had very positive dealings with the Water district when I voiced my concerns TO THEM and not on Topix.
Water for The Furture

Abilene, TX

#10 May 20, 2013
Did the GWD listen to us when we went to protest the permit hearing at the district office for sales out of county.(Yes I was there. Were you?) The answer is No.

Do they equally enforce their own rules across the board for all requests? No. Been on that end also.

Do they check on the status of the permits and actions the permittee agreed to do, like not irrigating and doing water sales both. No. Check for yourself.

Do they levy fines and penalties to people who ignore their rules. No.(Well, maybe only part of the offenders, but definitely not the ones who can and will cause them problems.)

We don't have to "stir the pot" when an agency doesn't even abide by its own rules.
Nope

Abilene, TX

#11 May 20, 2013
Wondering wrote:
Sorry, that's not how that works. Rainwater and runoff are considered "surface water", not water pumped from the ground and STORED on the surface. Furthermore, the State doesn't own all surface water. Certain people have water rights in their own creeks, lakes or even parts of the Colorado River.
Wondering

Abilene, TX

#12 May 20, 2013
Nope wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, that's not how that works. Rainwater and runoff are considered "surface water", not water pumped from the ground and STORED on the surface. Furthermore, the State doesn't own all surface water. Certain people have water rights in their own creeks, lakes or even parts of the Colorado River.
Thanks for the info. What determines who has the rights in the "certain people"?
Yep

Abilene, TX

#13 May 20, 2013
Usually history. Some folks (or the people they bought their land from) obtained those rights long ago and have simply maintained them down through the years. This situation is more common in South Texas and along the Rio Grande but it happens in West Texas also. It's also possible to obtain a permit to pump "surface water" from its source (C-City pumped water from Lake C-City, TXU pumped water from Lake Champion).
Funny

Abilene, TX

#14 May 20, 2013
"Preserve our drinking water" should be called "preserve our watered green yards because we live in town, feel entitled and don't have to pay for the land where the water comes from."
amen

United States

#16 Jun 10, 2013
Well put.
Restrictions

Abilene, TX

#17 Jun 13, 2013
I think all water should be metered and reported out of the hole. Otherwise it is abused

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Snyder Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What can you tell me about Shawn Adkins? (Jan '11) Sep 25 420ville 8,611
Work Sep 8 Sammyescott 1
Keith Hiser, city councilman (Apr '12) Sep 6 Kim 26
Read Sep 4 Orlando gallegos 1
How are the schools in Snyder? Jul '16 Mary 1
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jun '16 robert 994
gay (Jan '11) May '16 Jgonzales 2

Snyder Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Snyder Mortgages