SU student shot, killed by police in ...

SU student shot, killed by police in standoff

There are 14 comments on the The Daily Times story from May 16, 2006, titled SU student shot, killed by police in standoff. In it, The Daily Times reports that:

SALISBURY -- A Salisbury University football player was shot and killed in Anne Arundel County early Sunday morning after he reportedly ran toward police officers wielding a pair of scissors.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Daily Times.

Kimberly Morton

Utica, MI

#1 May 17, 2006
My heart goes out to this young man's mother having her son brutally shot to death on the day before mother's day, by the very people we teach our children to respect,Anne Arundel County Police you have lost my respect and you can be assured you would be the last people I will ever call for help! That is all this mom wanted you to serve and protect her son. Instead you killed him!
metoo

Salisbury, MD

#2 May 19, 2006
4 cops 1 big football player with scissors. he shouted 'kill me' as he lunged at them. seems like he wanted to die. and cops obliged him. they talked to him for 35 minutes and couldnt disarm the situation? neither one of the 4 had a taser? couldnt one have gotten one in 35 minutes? looks like we need protection for the protectors. maybe start shooting back? naw.......
ljy

West Chester, PA

#3 Jun 4, 2006
It is a travesty that, in this country following acts of individual violence, terrorism, murder, and police intervention, we never examine the underlying cause(s), which, most often involve mental illness. The headlines always emphasize the horror of shootings, number of individuals killed, but we are never privy to the underlying causes of these so-called murders. A man wielding scissors shouting "kill me" sounds very much like an unstable person, most likely a psychotic individual capable, nonetheless of killing a law enforcement officer, whose job it is to protect the citizenry. If any one is to blame it is the late Ronald Reagan, who, in an attempt to balance a budget, deinstitutionalized the mentally ill, setting all mentally ill people"free" in the streets of our cities, making it impossible for loved ones to secure them and provide for them properly. Is it any wonder incidents such as this occur daily throughout the country while police officers bear the blame for not knowing when or whether to shoot????????
Dave Bennet

Mckees Rocks, PA

#4 Jun 9, 2006
So times police officers are force to make tough decisions. If they felt that they were being threatened they made the right decision. This kid obviously had issues I think the officers made the right decisions. As far as Ms Mortons comments about never calling the police for help "Get a Grip"! People like you are the first to cry wolf that the system did you worong and then cry for help when things get deep. What would you do if someone was charging at you with scissors to take you life??? Probably stand there and welcome them with open arms
Observer

Rochester, MI

#5 Jun 23, 2006
The shooting of any person by police is always a tragedy. It is a tragedy for the family but also for the police officer who will have to deal with this the rest of their life. I wish the county had given these officers some other means to diffuse this situation but no tasers or other less lethal alternatives were available to them. I talked to people who were there when this happened, and he had charged others already with the scissors. Something police don't necessarily advertise is that their vests protect them against bullets only and offer only minimal resistance to knives. If had made it to one of the police officers he could have easily inflicted a fatal wound. It is easy to condemn the police for this, but as some has dealt with violent, disturbed individuals sometimes they force your hand into a physical altercation. I do my best not to hurt anyone, but I have a wife and daughter waiting at home and will protect myself. Remember these officers have families also and way too many never make it home.
guillermo martinez

Clarksville, MD

#6 Jun 23, 2006
jesus christ is the answer. 2000 years ago, in a land far away, the lamb of god, not rodney king, but the king of kings died for our sins.
Johnny Skrynecki

Stevenson, MD

#7 Oct 3, 2006
i knew justin personally and even though he had a mental illness, he was a wonderful person and had an impact on my life. he was always smiling and always had something positive to say about everyone. we should not remember him for the was he was killed, but for the life he lived and the lives he touched.
RIP Justin
metoo

Salisbury, MD

#8 Apr 15, 2007
bad statement
metoo wrote:
4 cops 1 big football player with scissors. he shouted 'kill me' as he lunged at them. seems like he wanted to die. and cops obliged him. they talked to him for 35 minutes and couldnt disarm the situation? neither one of the 4 had a taser? couldnt one have gotten one in 35 minutes? looks like we need protection for the protectors. maybe start shooting back? naw.......
Geesh what next

Stevensville, MD

#9 Aug 9, 2007
Dave Bennet wrote:
So times police officers are force to make tough decisions. If they felt that they were being threatened they made the right decision. This kid obviously had issues I think the officers made the right decisions. As far as Ms Mortons comments about never calling the police for help "Get a Grip"! People like you are the first to cry wolf that the system did you worong and then cry for help when things get deep. What would you do if someone was charging at you with scissors to take you life??? Probably stand there and welcome them with open arms
Just to let you know...he was surrounded by police..not just one or two...he was not lunging at anyone. His parents were right there and watched the police MURDER their child while they were in handcuffs not being able to get to their child. This did not have to happen. Their was one policeman who was almost to Justin....and before he could get to him the others shot Justin. This did not need to happen. If they had let the parents go to him the parents could have disarmed him BUT NO the police always know best. The police knew this person didn't take his meds..knew he was distraught and still did nothing. The Mediator didn't work that late....so he didn't come...they had no tazors or any other non lethal way to stop him...but 7 bullets to the chest...come on...that is a bit zealous don't you think. Of course from what I have heard..the police got off without any punishment.
College Professor

Salisbury, MD

#10 Aug 10, 2007
ljy wrote:
It is a travesty that, in this country following acts of individual violence, terrorism, murder, and police intervention, we never examine the underlying cause(s), which, most often involve mental illness. The headlines always emphasize the horror of shootings, number of individuals killed, but we are never privy to the underlying causes of these so-called murders. A man wielding scissors shouting "kill me" sounds very much like an unstable person, most likely a psychotic individual capable, nonetheless of killing a law enforcement officer, whose job it is to protect the citizenry. If any one is to blame it is the late Ronald Reagan, who, in an attempt to balance a budget, deinstitutionalized the mentally ill, setting all mentally ill people"free" in the streets of our cities, making it impossible for loved ones to secure them and provide for them properly. Is it any wonder incidents such as this occur daily throughout the country while police officers bear the blame for not knowing when or whether to shoot????????
It was the great Jimmy Carter who tossed the mentally ill out on the streets- not Reagan.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#11 Aug 10, 2007
stfu and get your facts straight. but then again, who the freak cares? not a thought in your head is there?
College Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
It was the great Jimmy Carter who tossed the mentally ill out on the streets- not Reagan.
Anynonmous

Clinton Township, MI

#12 Aug 24, 2007
I'll tell you what! How about you all give up your cushy jobs with your cushy hours and join the police dept. We'll see how long your last and how easy it is to make life and death descions in minutes. You probably have trouble deciding what type of juice you want for breakfeast in the morning, I bet you couldn't do the job that police have to do. Stop crying and go serve your country. This is why we are vulnerable to attacks, because of people like you who sit back and monday morning quarter back.
metoo wrote:

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#13 Aug 24, 2007
yeah i got a real cushy job and cushy hours alright. why dont you learn to spell? when you get out of school maybe you can go serve your country. they may lower their standards more to allow you to join. btw, while you're trolling, pick a more recent topic. you dont even make a good troll. does your mommy know you're on her computer?
Anynonmous wrote:
I'll tell you what! How about you all give up your cushy jobs with your cushy hours and join the police dept. We'll see how long your last and how easy it is to make life and death descions in minutes. You probably have trouble deciding what type of juice you want for breakfeast in the morning, I bet you couldn't do the job that police have to do. Stop crying and go serve your country. This is why we are vulnerable to attacks, because of people like you who sit back and monday morning quarter back.
<quoted text>
College Senior

United States

#15 Sep 3, 2007
Anynonmous wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a very petty argument to make considering the family of the deceased as well as the general public are able to view this post. Tact....look it up. This is not the place to rant about your mundane, militant ideologies.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Snow Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How come women get away with being deadbeat mot... (Sep '12) Apr 18 bon524 119
News Men Glued To Toilet Seats At Wal-Mart, Denny's (May '06) Feb '18 Dan 10
Poll POT, is it a drug or a cure of somekind that ha... (May '10) Feb '18 One momma 4
Poll how many out there hate prmc hospital (May '10) Dec '17 Linda of Marion 96
News Two American Legion Posts Refuse to Watch NFL G... (Oct '17) Dec '17 Gene 2
Poll Do blacks commit more crimes than other races (Mar '08) Oct '17 SYB 185
News Trial rescheduled for Salisbury physician charg... (Oct '07) Oct '17 just one of many 25

Snow Hill Jobs

Personal Finance

Snow Hill Mortgages