Life in Snow Hill
Kelly

Englewood, CO

#1 Jul 9, 2007
My wife has been after me for a while to visit your fine city, which we did this past week. It appears a lovely wee town in spite of the police action we happened on, which given where we live now seemed mild. I was curious for comment from any SH residents about how they find life there as far as schools, city services, and other basics. We were enamored of the small downtown, though it seemed much was closed, thought that could be owing to the time and date we were there.

Thanks for your time.

K.
Eastern Shore

Harrington, DE

#2 Jul 13, 2007
Well, apparently most folks in Snow Hill don't have that internet thing yet :-)

So far we have been really happy with the Snow Hill Elementary School and the Snow Hill Christian Nursery School.

The town just has changed back to picking up recycling once a week. They changed it to twice a month at the start of January, but didn't tell anyone until the end of February...including the people doing the work. The people who do the work are really great! I've seen them talk across someone's yard to get limbs (on limb/brush day - once a month), even though they are supposed to be bundled on the curb.

There are a few shops in town. Most are in the downtown area, but there is also a quilt/yarn/rubber stamp shop. The library is nice. There's a great place to rent canoes and then get a milkshake afterwards.
Linamae

Saint Michaels, MD

#3 Jul 15, 2007
This is a lovely town to live in. Those born here are the friendly and fun and I find pretty welcoming of "comeheres". We are VERY LUCKY to have the Christian Nursery School. Even in the more metro areas that I had to dwell, I never had such a great asset. They have lots of planned things for their kids. My kid attended the HS here and it was small but a fine school. High school is what you make it and there are plenty of resources if you look. Don't expect big city shopping. We don't have much and really don't need a lot with Salisbury and OC very near. Who needs fancy coffee and silk scarves anyway? Some new things are going in Downtown and hopefully will be able to survive. There are about 2500 folks in town (maybe a little more?) and that is not much to pull in big cash for a small business. Things come and go... Some new development is coming with Summerfield and in 10 years maybe we'll be able to support better business. Until then, we are doing fine. There is now a "Farmers" Market on Tuesday during the day at Green St. and Washington. I haven't been there but people that don't work day jobs may be. I'll have to ask around.
Kelly

Englewood, CO

#4 Jul 16, 2007
Thanks for the replies.
My wife and I have been thinking about leaving DC, though in spite of everything we do like it here, mainly to find better schooling for our two girls and bit safer environment. Makes me feel old saying that, but facts is facts as they say. My wife's folks have been living half the year over in OC for a decade or so and in that time we've become somewhat more familiar with the surrounding area. Since my wife's visit to SH a wee while back we've started looking a bit more in depth.
While neither of us are big time nightlifers, we do like a wee trip to the "pub" and that so some facility for towards that end is necessary for us (isn't it for everyone?). I noted a restaurant or two downtown but they seemed closed during the day. Where do folks typically go for dinner and drinks? Do folks go for dinner and drinks?
I assume most folks either work for Wocester Co. or commute to OC/Salibury/Berlin, etc.?
Eastern Shore

Harrington, DE

#5 Jul 16, 2007
"Tavern on Green Street" was our local bar/restaurant, but it recently closed. You could consider that an opportunity!:-) There is also a gourmet luncheon shop just down the street. A Chinese carry-out recently opened and appears to be doing good business. A few years ago we had a nice Mexican restaurant and bar, but it didn't stay open long. I'm not sure what the issues are. ToGS had too much smoke for me, the few times I went in, but that obvious meant it had a good smoking crowd. I have small kids, so I don't get out for drinks very often.
Linamae

Salisbury, MD

#6 Jul 17, 2007
There is no real place for a drink but the hubster and I don't seem to mind. If we want drinks with friends, we invite them or take a bottle of wine over. It's far better than drinking and driving and there's no shortage of good folks here. We are hoping for a nice place with no smoke and a decent burger. Once a month on the third Friday, you can grab a bite and drink (beer) at the local American Legion downtown. Everyone knows and it's fun.(by the way...I'm not sure where that Rhodesdale thing came from...I live in SH!)
Kelly

Englewood, CO

#7 Jul 18, 2007
Eastern Shore wrote:
"Tavern on Green Street" was our local bar/restaurant, but it recently closed. You could consider that an opportunity!:-)
Funny you say that as both I and my brother in law have experience in that area. I'd hazard a guess that the foot traffic doesn't work for the $/sq.ft formula in SH. I'm sure the rents are relatively cheap but unless SH were to become a destination place for eating it's hard to justify the capital investment for something as difficult to make profitable as a restaurant. Still I might have to put on my thinking cap for this one.

Thanks for all the kind and considered replies so far.
john19

Snow Hill, NC

#8 Apr 7, 2015
Heya guys,
Snow hill is great nice quiet town. only one piece of advice if yuor looking for an internet provider make sure you choose century link.
NFINITY LINK is the other and theyre horrid. minimun 20 disconnects a day.
Forget about trying to stream a movie between the hours of 6pm and 12 midnight service drops every 15 minutes or so sometimes for 1 min others over 10 minutes.
I feel so taken advantage of when paying them every month.
Im going back to Century link
john19

Snow Hill, NC

#9 Apr 7, 2015
Eastern Shore wrote:
Well, apparently most folks in Snow Hill don't have that internet thing yet :-)
So far we have been really happy with the Snow Hill Elementary School and the Snow Hill Christian Nursery School.
The town just has changed back to picking up recycling once a week. They changed it to twice a month at the start of January, but didn't tell anyone until the end of February...including the people doing the work. The people who do the work are really great! I've seen them talk across someone's yard to get limbs (on limb/brush day - once a month), even though they are supposed to be bundled on the curb.
There are a few shops in town. Most are in the downtown area, but there is also a quilt/yarn/rubber stamp shop. The library is nice. There's a great place to rent canoes and then get a milkshake afterwards.
Heya !
Snow hill is great nice quiet town. only one piece of advice if yuor looking for an internet provider make sure you choose century link.
NFINITY LINK is the other and theyre horrid. minimun 20 disconnects a day.
Forget about trying to stream a movie between the hours of 6pm and 12 midnight service drops every 15 minutes or so sometimes for 1 min others over 10 minutes.
I feel so taken advantage of when paying them every month.
Im going back to Century link

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Snow Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ups reviews ! Jul 17 Charlie 1
News Man dies in Cherry Beach drowning (Aug '09) Jul 16 Rosey2324 8
How come women get away with being deadbeat mot... (Sep '12) Jul 14 Annonamous 116
UPS not doing their jobs ! Jun '17 Anton 2
Ken ,please stop ! Apr '17 Tarell 2
News Women forced into prostitution sue a Maryland h... Feb '17 Kev from Michigan 1
News Departing Aberdeen City Manager Doug Miller loo... (Mar '16) Mar '16 william santucci 1

Snow Hill Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Snow Hill Mortgages