snake hollow rd sneedville, tn 37869

Posted in the Sneedville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
The Fishers

Cleveland, OH

#1 Jan 24, 2013
Okay my husband and I are about to make an offer on a ee of property on Snake Hollow Rd.

What is the average $$$ per acre (slope)(flat)(developed)(unevl oped)?

Thank you for any information.
Jim Tom

Charlotte, NC

#2 Jan 25, 2013
OH NO not another YANKIE!
Fact

Tazewell, TN

#3 Jan 25, 2013
The Fishers wrote:
Okay my husband and I are about to make an offer on a ee of property on Snake Hollow Rd.
There ain't no flat land in Snake Hollow. Every bit of it is mountian. If you Yankees want to move here just keep in mind that we like the way it is now and don't need or want any changes.
Overtaxed

Gate City, VA

#4 Jan 25, 2013
The Fishers wrote:
Hey "the Fishers"! Before you make that offer, you probably should stop by the County assessor's office in the County Courthouse and check the tax assessment on the land you are inteested in. That can give you an idea of the value of the place. The assessor is Bill Seal, and he's a good guy, who will be glad to help. He can probably tell you what else has sold recently in Snake Holler and what that brought per acre.
Have you got kids in school ? Because if you do, you need to remember that those kids will have to ride a bus to Sneedville over Newman's Ridge and back everyday....
It would also pay you to remember how far you are from the nearest store. There is no gasoline available on that side of the ridge, and the nearest place for milk and bread is Mulberry, or Sneedville.
I'm not trying to discourage you from buying in Snake Holler, just pointing out the drawbacks which you will deal with.
Finally, if you aren't retired, you need to remember that jobs in Hancock County are not plentiful.....(an understatement) and you will have a long drive to Tazewell, Morristown or Rogersville.

Hancock Folks will treat you as you treat them....if you are friendly and helpful, they will be too !
Good luck with whatever you decide.
The Fishers

Cleveland, OH

#5 Jan 25, 2013
Jim Tom wrote:
OH NO not another YANKIE!
Hello Jim Tom. Yes, I live in Indiana around a bunch of Yankees. But let's not assume that I am the Yankee here. LOL. My husband and I were both born in the South, raised in the South, and spent most of our adult lives in the South. We have only been displaced for eight years.

Now if you want to be all upset about us making this offer, be upset that I am not and will never be a U of T fan, Ole Miss all the way!
The Fishers

Cleveland, OH

#6 Jan 25, 2013
Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
There ain't no flat land in Snake Hollow. Every bit of it is mountian. If you Yankees want to move here just keep in mind that we like the way it is now and don't need or want any changes.
Hello Fact,

First, I was born and raised in Mississippi; and spent most of my adult life there. Thank you very much. I do not think that qualifies me as a Yankee.

Just because someone wants to move into your town does not mean that they want to change it. We have no interest in being big fish in your small pond, we are looking at this location because it is isolated and we want the privacy and quiet.

And thank you for the information on the area. It is exactly what we are looking for.

Again thank you very much.
The Fishers

Cleveland, OH

#7 Jan 25, 2013
Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> Hey "the Fishers"! Before you make that offer, you probably should stop by the County assessor's office in the County Courthouse and check the tax assessment on the land you are inteested in. That can give you an idea of the value of the place. The assessor is Bill Seal, and he's a good guy, who will be glad to help. He can probably tell you what else has sold recently in Snake Holler and what that brought per acre.
Have you got kids in school ? Because if you do, you need to remember that those kids will have to ride a bus to Sneedville over Newman's Ridge and back everyday....
It would also pay you to remember how far you are from the nearest store. There is no gasoline available on that side of the ridge, and the nearest place for milk and bread is Mulberry, or Sneedville.
I'm not trying to discourage you from buying in Snake Holler, just pointing out the drawbacks which you will deal with.
Finally, if you aren't retired, you need to remember that jobs in Hancock County are not plentiful.....(an understatement) and you will have a long drive to Tazewell, Morristown or Rogersville.
Hancock Folks will treat you as you treat them....if you are friendly and helpful, they will be too !
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Hello Overtaxed,

Thank you so much for your help. I have attempted to call Mr. Seal, but the county offices will not be open until Monday. Seem like yall are having a bit of nasty weather.

All seven of our children are grown, as well as some of our grandchildren, so we are not concerned with the school system or transportation to and from school. And if any of our grandchildren end up living with us (God forbid) I will home school them while they are with us.

As for milk and bread, we do not shop often (bulk shopping every three months) and I bake my own bread. As for fuel, we do not use alot of fuel, and Jon keeps the trucks fueled up all of the time (especially in the winter).

I have a sister and brother-in-law that live in Morristown. So I am familiar with that area. But that area was not isolated enough for our taste.

Thank you so much for the information, it was very helpful.

Elizabeth Fisher
Fact

Tazewell, TN

#8 Jan 25, 2013
The Fishers wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Fact,
First, I was born and raised in Mississippi; and spent most of my adult life there. Thank you very much. I do not think that qualifies me as a Yankee.
Just because someone wants to move into your town does not mean that they want to change it. We have no interest in being big fish in your small pond, we are looking at this location because it is isolated and we want the privacy and quiet.
And thank you for the information on the area. It is exactly what we are looking for.
Again thank you very much.
Once you move here you'll understand where I'm coming from. Yankees and Floridians move here and try to change this area to be like from whence they came. Sometimes they come around to our way of thinking sometimes the leave. FYI Property in Snake Hollow is not fit for growing anything nor fit for grazing. There's only water on the Newmans ridge side, the other mountain is dry. Prices are about $400 an acre. At the Claiborne county end a logging company owns most of it.
Basset

United States

#9 Jan 25, 2013
Have you looked on Blackwater Rd. across from Snake Hollow
The Fishers

Cleveland, OH

#10 Jan 25, 2013
Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Once you move here you'll understand where I'm coming from. Yankees and Floridians move here and try to change this area to be like from whence they came. Sometimes they come around to our way of thinking sometimes the leave. FYI Property in Snake Hollow is not fit for growing anything nor fit for grazing. There's only water on the Newmans ridge side, the other mountain is dry. Prices are about $400 an acre. At the Claiborne county end a logging company owns most of it.
Hello again Fact,

Thank you very much for the info on the land values!!!! Jon and I are slightly reclusive, so we do not typically bother our selves with town matters, but we always have an open door for anyone who wants a hot cup of coffee and conversation. Jon will talk to anybody, he is super friendly.

As for planting, my boys will build me a green house, atrium, and garden boxes. We do not have cattle or horses, unless you count the 165 horses on his bike (and they do not graze).

We have an actual piece of property in mind that has a newer modular unit already on it. Then once we are in and settled we can start designing our home.

Again thank you for all of the information.

Elizabeth
The Fishers

Cleveland, OH

#11 Jan 25, 2013
Basset wrote:
Have you looked on Blackwater Rd. across from Snake Hollow
Hello Basset,

I am not familiar with the area, I was trying to talk Jon into making a road trip down to my sister's in Morristown and stopping through there this weekend to look around; but he is insistant that we wait until the first of the month to make any trips.

Is there any avaliable developed land on that side?
Fact

Tazewell, TN

#12 Jan 25, 2013
The Fishers wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Basset,
I am not familiar with the area, I was trying to talk Jon into making a road trip down to my sister's in Morristown and stopping through there this weekend to look around; but he is insistant that we wait until the first of the month to make any trips.
Blackwater, much better land, same valley. The valley opens up and lets some sun in! Use google maps/sat and you'll see.

“dumbasses”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#13 Jan 25, 2013
The Fishers wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Basset,
Come on down,The water is fine!
The Fishers

Cleveland, OH

#14 Jan 25, 2013
Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Blackwater, much better land, same valley. The valley opens up and lets some sun in! Use google maps/sat and you'll see.
Hello Fact,

That was absolutely amazing. I did not know that google maps had a virtural trip. i bet the area is beautiful in the spring and fall.

Thank you for the tip.

Elizabeth
The Fishers

Cleveland, OH

#15 Jan 25, 2013
goober45 wrote:
<quoted text>Come on down,The water is fine!
Thank you for the warm welcome goober45.

Elizabeth

“dumbasses”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#16 Jan 25, 2013
The Fishers wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the warm welcome goober45.
Elizabeth
You are very welcome.
Snake Hollow

Morristown, TN

#17 Jan 25, 2013
Fact wrote:
<quoted text>

Lol there is a few places in Snake Hollow fit for growing things and grazing.
Yep

Jefferson City, TN

#18 Jan 25, 2013
Have a line on parcel that owners are interested in selling but islocated in neighboring Hawkins County, Eidson.

Is secluded but 10 minutes to Hwy 70. Property has a older but habital home, several outbuilding and a creek running through property.

Lots of wildlife.

Just putting it out there if you are still looking around. Quiet & pretty place
Maxey supporter

Morristown, TN

#19 Jan 25, 2013
Yep, living in snake hollow means you got to drive a long way to get gas, go to town but at least your kids don't have a long way to go to the drug store, down on the lower end you can get any dope your hearts desires or you can drive a bit to mulberry and parleys drug market is always open or gene Martin will sell you a loaf of bread and a pill of your choosing, so many drug dens over that way this cold weathers got my arthritis from letting me type that long of list but who needs gas or groceries when you got a good pain pill?
The Fishers

Cleveland, OH

#20 Jan 25, 2013
Snake Hollow wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol there is a few places in Snake Hollow fit for growing things and grazing.
Well, Thank you very much for that info. My boys promised me a green house; and I am holding the to it. So I was not really concerned with the viability of the land as long as it is full of trees and wildlife, I am happy. And Jon is only concerned about having enough privacy to sit on his porch (any way he chooses)with his cup of coffee and enjoy the view.

Elizabeth

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sneedville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Laura really got hepatitis? 2 hr Whatever 2015 4
alecia cope 13 hr ace 2
Who knows 14 hr Neighbors 2
gigolo Kenny Horton 16 hr green eyes 1
Looking for Witches (Aug '09) 21 hr Namaste 99
big one Fri sub-gurl 4
hepatitusville Thu pinky 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sneedville Mortgages