A banned book????
buku

Newport, TN

#263 Dec 9, 2009
thanx,whatever,just joshing.trees up,got a couple of bucks ahead it will be a good christmas.just waiting for snow a ol st.nick if it is still allowed.hope you get your new mittons and that air rifle you been wanting for years.dont shoot your eye out.lol
Wondering

AOL

#264 Dec 10, 2009
Has the ACLU been notified about this?
Jenkins

United States

#265 Dec 10, 2009
Wondering wrote:
Has the ACLU been notified about this?
About the book? One has to be a parent or a teacher to pursue with the ACLU. Have to have a "vested interest." Seems all of us DO have a "vested interest" though,

“Its me again lol”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#266 Dec 10, 2009
About this topic ive read and read it and I cant see what the big deal is???????? All you have to do is find it on the web you dont need a book.
buku

Newport, TN

#267 Dec 10, 2009
as far as i know,you cant buy a girley magazine in this town,so how far behind do we need to be?
Jenkins

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#269 Dec 11, 2009
Parent wrote:
The big deal is that John Goodman and his ilk are trying to run things how THEY want things ran. He is an opportunistic individual who takes advantage of any situation to further his and his CHOSEN fews causes, not for the benefit of the children at all or Angela Kinsler would be teaching Chemistry to our youth instead of Cousellors making the excuse of 'we have no one ELSE to teach Chemistry' besides Nancy Ramsey. All these people know better. Colby Collins, who has been john Goodman's shadow for the past year, draws a check as big as a teachers or bigger for 'fixing computers' when he is never at the school to 'fix' anything. He doesn't even have a college degree. Many people know how to turn on a darned computer powerpoint presentation, but he thinks Colby is worth the equipment he has used and stuff down town. This Education system is a joke and everyone around East Tennessee knows it.
How many of you are there?:)
my two cents

Richmond, KY

#270 Dec 11, 2009
Jenkins wrote:
And which "depraved" book was banned? Huckleberry Finn? Tom Sawyer? Grapes of Wrath?(Steinbeck) Harry Potter? Judy Blume's books? Andersonville?As I Lay Dying(Faulkner). These books are as we speak banned in some places---by religious zealots.It's frightening. Censorship is frightening. If you don't want your kid to read a dmaned book, tell him not to read it. DO NOT deprive MY kid from reading it.
I only have one thing to say to you ... it is dumb asses like you that have gotten our school system in the shape it is in ... and if you don't think anything is wrong with our school system ...then you get the gold star dumb ass award....
Parent

Mountain City, GA

#271 Dec 11, 2009
Jenkins wrote:
<quoted text>
How many of you are there?:)
Too many to count, apparently.
Jenkins

United States

#272 Dec 11, 2009
my two cents wrote:
<quoted text>
I only have one thing to say to you ... it is dumb asses like you that have gotten our school system in the shape it is in ... and if you don't think anything is wrong with our school system ...then you get the gold star dumb ass award....
A really lovely and enlightening contribution to the conversation. Thank you. Oh, I DO think things are wrong with the school system. Book banning is a symptom of the many things that are wrong.
clyde

United States

#273 Dec 11, 2009
my two cents wrote:
<quoted text>
I only have one thing to say to you ... it is dumb asses like you that have gotten our school system in the shape it is in ... and if you don't think anything is wrong with our school system ...then you get the gold star dumb ass award....
hooray she got a gold star haha
Jenkins

United States

#274 Dec 11, 2009
clyde wrote:
<quoted text>hooray she got a gold star haha
Ah. Little cheerleader Clyde again. Sic 'em!!!
Teach

United States

#275 Dec 11, 2009
Parent wrote:
The big deal is that John Goodman and his ilk are trying to run things how THEY want things ran. He is an opportunistic individual who takes advantage of any situation to further his and his CHOSEN fews causes, not for the benefit of the children at all or Angela Kinsler would be teaching Chemistry to our youth instead of Cousellors making the excuse of 'we have no one ELSE to teach Chemistry' besides Nancy Ramsey. All these people know better. Colby Collins, who has been john Goodman's shadow for the past year, draws a check as big as a teachers or bigger for 'fixing computers' when he is never at the school to 'fix' anything. He doesn't even have a college degree. Many people know how to turn on a darned computer powerpoint presentation, but he thinks Colby is worth the equipment he has used and stuff down town. This Education system is a joke and everyone around East Tennessee knows it.
Sounds like someone's Jealous
Jenkins

United States

#276 Dec 11, 2009
Hmmm. Did you take it that way? I guess I didn't think of it that way. I know the Chemistry teacher controversy is pretty widespread. AND there seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction with Colby Collins' accessibility. There IS just one of him though, and the lack of even basic computer knowledge among teachers is a definite.

Just sounds like big time frustration to me. I don't know that I've ever thought John Goodman as "opportunistic." But then I really don't know him to form a judgment.
Correction

Knoxville, TN

#277 Dec 11, 2009
Parent wrote:
The big deal is that John Goodman and his ilk are trying to run things how THEY want things ran. He is an opportunistic individual who takes advantage of any situation to further his and his CHOSEN fews causes, not for the benefit of the children at all or Angela Kinsler would be teaching Chemistry to our youth instead of Cousellors making the excuse of 'we have no one ELSE to teach Chemistry' besides Nancy Ramsey. All these people know better. Colby Collins, who has been john Goodman's shadow for the past year, draws a check as big as a teachers or bigger for 'fixing computers' when he is never at the school to 'fix' anything. He doesn't even have a college degree. Many people know how to turn on a darned computer powerpoint presentation, but he thinks Colby is worth the equipment he has used and stuff down town. This Education system is a joke and everyone around East Tennessee knows it.
A joke?? I beg to differ. My children are products of Hancock schools. All excelled in college. All have BS degrees or above. All doing well for themselves now:[fingers crossed]. Our sys. provide meals for hungry kids, provides free health care for those who would otherwise have little or none. Provides correlation services through DCS for abused or neglected children. I've known teachers and admin. to stay long hours with a child and DCS workers who are trying to determine if it is SAFE for a child to go home, and then stay longer until a safe place was found. Our schools provide avenues for clothing for those who NEED them. I've known teachers to use personal money to buy clothing, classroom supplies and food for their students. Known coaches to use their money to buy shoes and athletic supplies for their athletes who could not otherwise afford them. known teachers and admin. to comfort and cry with students that just learned a loved one had passed. No, Hancock schools are far from perfect. But they are NO joke my friend!
Overtaxed

Duffield, VA

#278 Dec 12, 2009
Correction wrote:
<quoted text>Our sys. provide meals for hungry kids, provides free health care for those who would otherwise have little or none. Provides correlation services through DCS for abused or neglected children. I've known teachers and admin. to stay long hours with a child and DCS workers who are trying to determine if it is SAFE for a child to go home, and then stay longer until a safe place was found. Our schools provide avenues for clothing for those who NEED them. I've known teachers to use personal money to buy clothing, classroom supplies and food for their students. Known coaches to use their money to buy shoes and athletic supplies for their athletes who could not otherwise afford them. known teachers and admin. to comfort and cry with students that just learned a loved one had passed.
This is ALL true Correction, and THESE dedicated teachers seldom get the recognition they richly deserve. The challenge is to increase the numbers of these teachers, reward their dedication, improve or remove the non-preforming, sub-preforming group, end the "jobs program" (you know, the one where we HAVE to find a job for so-and-so's wife, brother-in-law etc) and RETAIN the nesessary things you outlined above. After all, the system should exist to give EVERY kid the opportunity to reach his/her full potential and thrive in the NEW economy we all are facing. The other challenge is to get the kids who are Hancock success stories to return home to renew THIS community instead of enriching others, not because they have the right last name, or the right connections, but because we NEED them, no matter WHO they are. A tough order Correction, do you think the system is up to it ??
mamawoverhome

United States

#279 Dec 12, 2009
Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> This is ALL true Correction, and THESE dedicated teachers seldom get the recognition they richly deserve. The challenge is to increase the numbers of these teachers, reward their dedication, improve or remove the non-preforming, sub-preforming group, end the "jobs program" (you know, the one where we HAVE to find a job for so-and-so's wife, brother-in-law etc) and RETAIN the nesessary things you outlined above. After all, the system should exist to give EVERY kid the opportunity to reach his/her full potential and thrive in the NEW economy we all are facing. The other challenge is to get the kids who are Hancock success stories to return home to renew THIS community instead of enriching others, not because they have the right last name, or the right connections, but because we NEED them, no matter WHO they are. A tough order Correction, do you think the system is up to it ??
very good post we are so lucky to have Teachers like we have here , i'm glad they check the books before they get in the hands of our children; i know John Goodman and Pam,they are good people. i'm so glad we have them in our system.;we don't need the(( Aclu)) peorid. i hope they stay in Egipt. now if i missed spelled this i'm sure someone that's smarter than I will make a comment .you know who ?
Shadow

AOL

#280 Dec 12, 2009
I think we do have some very caring and good teachers in this system. But I question the banning of books for the same reason I would question the taking of any other of my rights. It is for the parents to decide whether their kid is ready for reading the 'f' word. And I say that all this post has some merit, especially about the fact that the kids hear this word everywhere from games, tv, the halls, malls and everywhere else. If you ban every book that has that in it, there will be none left. Reality is that we are in a system that has few resources already, banned books just bans us more. So does the internet not being able to look up classical statues and other ridiculous things. The fact is someone stated that when he pulled that book, he did so on top of books about STD'S, pregnancy in schools, etc. Education is just that. Education. Not searching for the 'f' word everywhere and 'protecting' kids that already are doing it from 'hearing' it said or reading it in writing. Can't see the forest for the trees, people.
I Remember

Murfreesboro, TN

#281 Dec 12, 2009
"Mamawoverhome" I cringe at every post you make. Why you ask? My grandmother was from "overhome", my mother and siblings attended Stony Gap School. So my "mamaw" was as much a "mamawoverhome" as anyone could be. That being said, she she was a very simple woman, little to no education and a very good Christian woman. That same woman would turn over in her grave today to know some pompous ass, that's his own boss (county commissioner working with the county schools)makes a decision about what literary works my child may or may not read. The decision of which book(s) to ban was made even over the objections of the same educators that are held in such high regard.

I would be surprised if John Goodman has read the book(s) that were banned, past the passages that someone probably showed him. The powers that be within the school system assume this issue will eventually die, and they could be right. But I assure you it will not die before the whole thing is examined very closely by people who's salary is paid by the good folks of Hancock County. Those that refuse to respond to requests for information have no idea what they are bringing upon themselves, they have grown used to running roughshod over anyone and everyone...that's quickly coming to and end...even in Sneedville.

So "mamawoverhome" my "mamawfromoverhome" would never dare read a single passage from any of the books that contain "dirty words", but she damn sure would fight anyone tooth and nail for anyone's right to read those same books if they choose to do so.
I Remember

Murfreesboro, TN

#282 Dec 12, 2009
I'm sorry, that should have read "But I assure you it will not die before the whole thing is examined very closely by people who's salary is NOT paid by the good folks of Hancock County".

My bad.
Shadow

AOL

#283 Dec 12, 2009
I Remember wrote:
I'm sorry, that should have read "But I assure you it will not die before the whole thing is examined very closely by people who's salary is NOT paid by the good folks of Hancock County".
My bad.
I sure hope you are for real because you are the first person to write something I feel positive about on this subject. Pompous Ass is a credit, I feel. I am praying that you are right.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sneedville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Missy Bell, Seal, or Trent cell number??? 8 hr Dan 4
run randy run 8 hr Dan 2
run tommy run (May '10) 12 hr FYI 4
Facebook Live 14 hr BettyB 1
Katrina Minor 16 hr info 1
Alphabet Game (Aug '13) Mon _Zoey_ 432
the apple man Jan 15 Donn 22

Sneedville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sneedville Mortgages