Grandkids kidnapping case: Parents want to meet kids

Full story: Monterey County Herald

The parents of a boy and a girl kidnapped 20 years ago from a small Tennessee town appealed today to their now-grown children to meet with them.
Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated Feb 11, 2013
drea

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2009

How do you NOT know where your parents are for twenty years?

How do you NOT notice that your parents disappear at the same time as your kids disappear?

Color me crazy, but I would think grandparents would kidnap their grandkids from their own adult child only if they believed their grandchildren were in some kind of extreme danger from their own adult child.

At least that's my wildy wacky opinion...Because isn't it much more enjoyable to spoil them and give them back, than to actually raise another set of kids again? Or maybe it's just me that feels this way...

Am I missing something? The crime sounds way more complex than is reported in this article. I'm thinking the missing link here is either control of a trust fund which is accessible only to those who have possession of the kids, or sexual abuse by one of the parties involved. I guess we'll have to wait to see what's the real deal behind this bizarre and sad crime.
Eureka Resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2009

I have to agree with Drea of Marina. there is more to this than is being reported. The grandparents must have had a very compelling reason to take the children for 20 years, hopefully not to abuse. the must have realized they would later face what they now are and took the risk anyway. It shows how frustrating the "system" can be if so and they didn't feel they could go through "proper channels". I am experiencing a situation right now myself regarding a grandchild and it seems to be a no-win for anyone. King solomon's method of dividing the child in half to determine the "true" parent won't work.
Cat

Irwin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2009

Judged:

Drea, you said "How do you NOT notice that your parents disappear at the same time as your kids disappear?"

They DID know, there has been a warrant out for the arrest of Marvin and Sandra Maple for almost 20 years.

You are right in saying that this case is complex.
Jan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2009

This case sounds much more like a Stockholm Syndrome case. Children kidnapped at 7 or 8 years old should have clear memories of their parents and family. It must be terribly upsetting to those kids. Their younger brother remembers them! They'll need counseling and time to recover.

That grandfather could tell the children to see their parents and apologize to everyone. Only if he makes some attempt to heal the family he tried to destroy will he deserve any lenience.

His daughter and her husband sound like good Christian people. Thank God they survived what must have been a horrible ordeal.
Tessa

Westlake, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

With some people it is all about control. I don't know about this case but some people are so convinced they know best for everyone, if their attempts at control are thwarted they lose any facade of compromise and act out and force their will on others. There was no credible prove of abuse but this guy took things in his own hands because of course HE couldn't be wrong. Ask his own child what he was really like.
Think about it

Mechanicsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Tessa wrote:
With some people it is all about control. I don't know about this case but some people are so convinced they know best for everyone, if their attempts at control are thwarted they lose any facade of compromise and act out and force their will on others. There was no credible prove of abuse but this guy took things in his own hands because of course HE couldn't be wrong. Ask his own child what he was really like.
I have a mother in law so controlling she wanted to be called mama when my son was born. She would do something like this in a heartbeat to get what she wanted.
crckrjck96

Cosby, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Must be something to the abuse allegations by the parents against the kids if the kids refuse to see their parents. Grandfather only gets 4 mo probation I wonder if the girl still lives with him
Think about it

Mechanicsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

crckrjck96 wrote:
Must be something to the abuse allegations by the parents against the kids if the kids refuse to see their parents. Grandfather only gets 4 mo probation I wonder if the girl still lives with him
They only know what they were told. Before the grandparents took off the grandmother asked the mother if she could keep the boy she had always wanted a son. I have a mother in law just like her who spanked her sons with the metal side of the belt but if I ever even spanked my sin she would cry abuse.
crckrjck96

Smyrna, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Yes at 6-7 yr old they might remember a little but mostly just what their told. Did they ever meet with the parents?
Think about it

Mechanicsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

crckrjck96 wrote:
Yes at 6-7 yr old they might remember a little but mostly just what their told. Did they ever meet with the parents?
Don't think so

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Smyrna Discussions

Search the Smyrna Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 1 hr serious answers 141,219
Amazon hiring fully underway in Middle Tennessee (May '12) 3 hr JobHunter 1,233
Rep Joe Carr 9 hr Betty C 4
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 9 hr Zeke 8,964
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 13 hr Sam The Man 8,589
Yates in smyrna (Mar '11) 16 hr Yates Employee 1,221
mccormick trucking cmpany (Feb '10) 16 hr bad 75
•••
•••
•••
•••

Smyrna Jobs

•••