Smyrna Man Dies Competing in Jekyll I...

Smyrna Man Dies Competing in Jekyll Island Triathalon

There are 1 comment on the Patch.com story from May 21, 2012, titled Smyrna Man Dies Competing in Jekyll Island Triathalon. In it, Patch.com reports that:

Chris Petty, 44, of Smyrna, died after he apparently suffered cardiac arrest while competing in the Jekyll Island Turtle Crawl Triathalon Saturday, reported the Atlanta Journal Constitution .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Patch.com.

Jekyll Tri

Alpharetta, GA

#1 May 21, 2012
I participated in this weekends Tri in Jekyll. I am from the area, grew up swimming in that ocean, and swimming is my strongest sport. I, as many, many others that raced were appalled that the swim portion was not cancelled. There was a bad rip tide and very strong current caused by a tropical storm brewing off the coast. Rip tide warnings had been posted in the local paper for days proceeding the event. What normally would have taken me 6 minutes to complete, took 20. As I came out of the ocean, a man rushed the ocean yelling into his walkie talkie for EMT to get down there, that a man was not responding and CPR was taking place. I stood on the beach in silent prayer, in shock, that a man was losing his life. It is a very sad and tragic event that should have never happened. I will never again participate in this Triathlon. It put the event ahead of participates safety. Of that I have no doubt. I was there, I experienced it....I saw it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Smyrna Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Depression, pain n anxiety treatment; 11 min rogers 3
Religious nut 54 min Proud Democrat 3
JOHN PEPPERCORN loves Atlanta 7 hr Ricardo montobomb 1
The gonna remove stone mountain next 7 hr ThomasA 42
Roy Barnes hypocrite and idiot 8 hr Nate the great 1
The Weather Channel (Jan '10) 9 hr Tolerman 49
a Search for a Lost US Army Vet from Ft. Sam Tue Thundermg1swife 2

Smyrna Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance