Should drunken drivers who kill be charged with murder?

Full story: Austin American Statesman

A state district judge in Travis County doesn't think drunken drivers who kill someone can be charged with murder.
Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Apr 23, 2007
rachel

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2007

yes

“All fluff...no filler”

Since: Jan 07

Austin, TexASS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2007

hell yeah, and too bad it cant be considered pre meditated. Yeah, I know it's a stretch, but they DID choose to get in the car in that condition.

Since: Apr 07

Williamsburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2007

of corse they should its the same thing,and they would most likely be charged with other crimes too, lucky them!LOL!
Texas Expatriate

Baesweiler, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2007

According to the definition of "murder", no.

Seen from a legal point of view, the charge would be (negligent)manslaughter.
apathysam

Georgetown, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2007

No.

I don't mind if they get the same punishment as murderers (barring the death penalty), but it's not murder. Murder is intentionally killing someone. If you want to create a separate offense specifically for drunk driving deaths, more power to you, but why does anyone insist on calling it murder?

You can't simply charge someone with whatever crime you want just because everyone agrees that what they did was horrendous.
Texas Patriot

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2007

...Yes Murder if they are driving under the influence of alcohol or an illegal drug. It is time the victim of crime is justly thought of when the punishment is given out. Like so many things the money you have or the Political influence (or as far as that goes the fact that you are serving in a political position) seems to change a judges mind.

A judge can only hand out what the law allows him to do. It is up to us the people to get in the face of the politicos that make dozens of stupid new laws each year to start going back over the ones we have and make the necessary ammendments to them.

There is more to life than toll roads and plastic bags.
Texas Patriot

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2007

I am from Texas Austin Texas I don't know how Evanston got in here

“All fluff...no filler”

Since: Jan 07

Austin, TexASS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2007

Texas Patriot wrote:
I am from Texas Austin Texas I don't know how Evanston got in here
It has to do with your ISP...
Lewis Walburn

Henderson, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2007

DRUNK FRIVERS SHOULD BE SENT TO JAIL FOR 1TH DEGREE MURDER--and also a speeder and reckless driver should be sent to prison for mam slaughter they are killing a lot more th the drunks

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Smithville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Smithville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Smithville People Search