DeKalb Utility District

Posted in the Smithville Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
bad apple gas

Smithville, TN

#1 May 22, 2012
Whether you agree or disagree regarding the DUD's decision to start their own water treatment plant, Jerry Adcock must think he and his fellow county commissioners have power over everything in this county. Well, Jerry, you don't. You need to be replaced by an efficient county commissioner that represents all people of the county, not just the one's you choose. You act like a supreme court judge - final say about everything that goes on in this county,. Well, that ain't the way it is. Hopefully you will be dethroned in a few years.
Huh

Smithville, TN

#2 May 22, 2012
What does Jerry Adcock have to do with DUD?
listen

Smithville, TN

#3 May 23, 2012
Huh wrote:
Read his comments on WJLE regarding the Monday night County commissioner's meeting. He kept asking stupid questions about "couldn't the county commission do something to stop DUD?"
bad apple gas

Smithville, TN

#4 May 23, 2012
Huh wrote:
Precisely, what does he have to do with DUD? He would like to have some authority with that and everything else in this county. He has sat on the commission that thinks it controls everybody's business in this county. Way too much power in their line of thought. Little machine in everyone's business.
bad banana gas

Smithville, TN

#5 May 23, 2012
Foster appoints DUD board members and the commission approves his nomination. That's what they have to do with DUD. The same DUD Board ready to spend (borrow) over 10 million dollars for a plant not needed.
PBF Buddy

Mooresville, NC

#6 May 23, 2012
Foster only gets three nominations from DUD. The commission has to say yes or no, but DUD picks who the commission says yes or no on. There are 5 DUD members (3 from DeKalb and 1 each from Smith and Cannon counties). DUD members answers to no one. They raise or set rates or build needless water plants that could triple your water rates in 5 to 10 years. Maybe that's why Adcock spoke out to give you a say in how to save you money. And DUD asks the commission to apply for federal grants. Figure out how much your bill will be in 5 years.
DUD Customer

Orlando, FL

#7 May 24, 2012
Watching this water plant issue is interesting. The Smithville leadership has known DUD is planning water plant for several years. So the Mayor and leadership spend $3 million on a renovation without communicating or negoitating a long term contract with their largest customer DUD. Is that wasting taxpayer dollars or what? Now at the end Smithville hires PR firm from Nashville at$5000 per month with a $25000 bonus to stir up the uninformed like Adcock in the community on a recommendation from the engineer who just got paid on the 3 million project. Wow is that wasting money.Why would DUD not have their own plant with Center Hill in the backyard ? Cut out the middle man and secure their future Econ 101. Funny the Mayor says DUD can always buy water at a reasonable price from Smithville. What is that price 20 yrsfrom now...will he be here to tell us it reasonable.
rate payer

Smithville, TN

#8 May 24, 2012
I think the city payed the 3 million renovation in cash. The Mayor invited DUD to meet and renegotiate the contract way back last year, over two years before the contract is to expire. They never responded per Mayor. They'd rather borrow 12 million to add to their already 4 million debt. have fun paying for it DUD Customer.
DUD Customer

Orlando, FL

#9 May 24, 2012
I agree the city paid cash. The cash came from me , the DUD customer, subsidizing Smithville Water and you the rate payer in Smithville. The new water plant will be financed over 40 yrs at 2 percent interest rate no problem paying. The new plant will be paid for and we will be free from you birds. By the way, when your largest customer does not respond don't spend 3 million dollars then cry about it. Stupid.
Whew

Smithville, TN

#10 May 24, 2012
Glad I have well water!!!
DUD Customer

Orlando, FL

#11 May 24, 2012
Game on Mayor....are you going to keep paying the PR firm $5000 per month of taxpayer money... You got taken by the Nashville boys again...better get local Poss is up your ass.....cut your losses or the council will
Better

Smithville, TN

#12 May 24, 2012
DUD Customer wrote:
Game on Mayor....are you going to keep paying the PR firm $5000 per month of taxpayer money... You got taken by the Nashville boys again...better get local Poss is up your ass.....cut your losses or the council will
Better Jimmy Poss as mayor of Smithville than that loser Taft Hendrixson - the payoff king.
DUD Customer

Smithville, TN

#13 May 25, 2012
I apologize for my idiotic comments.
DUD Customer

United States

#14 May 25, 2012
Are you trying to apologize for me? Facts can be painful when dollars are involved. A fact is the city of Smithville is paying a public relations firm out Nashville $5,000 per month to interfere with the affairs of a public utility which has no connection to the city. I am not sure this is even legal. Those are taxpayer dollars being used, which could be used for the streets, police, recreation for the citizens. This whole thing is a joke lead by the city leadership.
JustWondering

Smithville, TN

#15 May 25, 2012
Why can't the citizens of DeKalb County vote whether or not they want the new water plant? I do not see anything good coming from it!! All I see it doing is costing the people of DeKalb County higher water rates and some people can not afford this due to being on fixed income. I think it is time to apoint some new board members for DUD. It is a waste of money if you ask me. I am sure we could spend millions of dollars on other things.
Water in the Future

Liberty, TN

#16 May 25, 2012
Are you a Dekalb Water customer? Take the time to study the issue then you will see some good. The board has done a 5-6 year study using financial advisors ie Tom Janney and others to determine in a few years the plant will stablize your water bill. I and many others would be upset with this board if they did not complete the project.You say they could spend the money on other things. They are a water company and their money can not be used in other ways. The board has a fiduciary duty to do what is right for their customers. The Smithville Water Co is totally separate entity. Take all the drama and misinformation out of the equation, this a sound business decision.
Postman

Gaffney, SC

#17 May 25, 2012
DUDs plan for paying for the project assumes 3 percent growth. At three percent growth, their customers would double over the next 25 years. I am just a postman and I can see that this is very very unlikely to happen.
TrueConservative

Smithville, TN

#18 May 25, 2012
The postman is right on track. Also,stop using the company trucks as personal transportation and having two workers read the water meters for a while and DUD would have more capital to build a new treatment facility instead of putting the burden on it's customers.
lars

Smithville, TN

#19 May 25, 2012
Water in the Future wrote:
Are you a Dekalb Water customer? Take the time to study the issue then you will see some good. The board has done a 5-6 year study using financial advisors ie Tom Janney and others to determine in a few years the plant will stablize your water bill. I and many others would be upset with this board if they did not complete the project.You say they could spend the money on other things. They are a water company and their money can not be used in other ways. The board has a fiduciary duty to do what is right for their customers. The Smithville Water Co is totally separate entity. Take all the drama and misinformation out of the equation, this a sound business decision.
I haven't had an increase in my income in over 6 years now. I have no desire to pay even 25 cents more a month for any utility. If this isn't going to lower my rate why should I support it?
Water in the Future

Liberty, TN

#20 May 26, 2012
If you are a Smithville Water customer you are fortunate that the DUD customers bought water from you at a higher price to keep your bill low. If you are a DUD customer your bill will go up in the future because you are buying water from someone else no matter what happens with the water plant. The bottom line is the DUD customer has supported financially Smithville Water customers for years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Smithville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Black mustang (Jul '12) 1 hr User 119
Jerry Wayne (Jap) Johnson for President 2 hr Think It Through 3
Cap linger: The Rest Of The Story 7 hr Sherlock 33
wendy greene foolen everyone she still hunten d... 15 hr FACTS 31
Panhandlers at Walmart... Thu Itsashame 8
Larry Bain Thu Stud 6
family medical (Jun '12) Wed Welcome 49

Hard Freeze Warning for Dekalb County was issued at March 28 at 3:48AM CDT

Smithville Dating
Find my Match