ridgerunner

Smithville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

Does anyone know why the CEO of DTC does not want any gospel music at the annual meeting.
Good

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

In the past DTC has not been very family or member oriented. Its probably a carry over.
Redrum

Smithville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

Judged:

Who cares?
anti ceo

Smithville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

Judged:

this guy needs to go
maybe

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2012

Judged:

ridgerunner wrote:
Does anyone know why the CEO of DTC does not want any gospel music at the annual meeting.
He probably wants to be politically correct. Being politically correct is what's killing this country. Or he may be an atheist, or he may be of a religion that doesn't believe in music with gospel songs. Some think you shouldn't play musical instruments.
Joe hog

Smithville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2012

Judged:

What has gospel music got to do with telecommunications?? It's a business not a religion.
IQ debate

Smithville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2012

Judged:

ridgerunner wrote:
Wrong day - Sunday at church has gospel music and a "dinner on the ground" if you pick the right day. This is a business affair and an election and you better read what you are going to vote on instead of filling your gut and listening to music. People of your mentality is the reason our country has an idiot for a leader...just show up and vote - don't know what you vote for - just eat and have a big time!
lil ole me

Thomasville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2012

Judged:

The new CEO of DTC is a disgrace to the company. He is an arrogant know it all who thinks the people of Tennessee are all ignorant. He has done several illegal things since he became CEO. By illegal, I mean things that go completely against DTC tariffs and policies. What people need to know is that the MEMBERS OWN DTC, NOT CRAIG GATES AND NOT THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS! The members will never see another penny of their allocated funds that are supposed to be refunded annually. Mr Gates treats his employees like scum, by belittling them every chance he gets. More people have quit DTC since he became CEO than any other time in the history of the company.
Not that it matters because DTC is a sinking ship.
They are broke. Security systems...really? I wouldn't trust them to protect my home, they cant even keep their phones working half the time. Cell service...FORGET IT!! It's a joke. Internet? only if you don't mind waiting 20 mins for a page to load.
I believe members should collectively get together and demand his resignation. Call your local director and express your concerns about the company that you "supposedly" own. Better yet, boycott DTC. Times have changed and thank goodness we now have choices. Verizon home phone service...WONDERFUL!! 19.95 for unlimited local and long distance. 4G is also avaliable in Smithville and surrounding areas. DONT BUY THE HYPE, DTC CEO CRAIG GATES IS SITTING BACK LAUGHING ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK....HE DOES NOT HAVE IN MIND THE BEST INTEREST OF THE MEMBERS! HE IS A SMALL FISH IN A BIG POND AND HE IS ON A HUGE POWER TRIP.
curious

Alexandria, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

lil ole me wrote:
The new CEO of DTC is a disgrace to the company. He is an arrogant know it all who thinks the people of Tennessee are all ignorant. He has done several illegal things since he became CEO. By illegal, I mean things that go completely against DTC tariffs and policies. What people need to know is that the MEMBERS OWN DTC, NOT CRAIG GATES AND NOT THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS! The members will never see another penny of their allocated funds that are supposed to be refunded annually. Mr Gates treats his employees like scum, by belittling them every chance he gets. More people have quit DTC since he became CEO than any other time in the history of the company.
Not that it matters because DTC is a sinking ship.
They are broke. Security systems...really? I wouldn't trust them to protect my home, they cant even keep their phones working half the time. Cell service...FORGET IT!! It's a joke. Internet? only if you don't mind waiting 20 mins for a page to load.
I believe members should collectively get together and demand his resignation. Call your local director and express your concerns about the company that you "supposedly" own. Better yet, boycott DTC. Times have changed and thank goodness we now have choices. Verizon home phone service...WONDERFUL!! 19.95 for unlimited local and long distance. 4G is also avaliable in Smithville and surrounding areas. DONT BUY THE HYPE, DTC CEO CRAIG GATES IS SITTING BACK LAUGHING ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK....HE DOES NOT HAVE IN MIND THE BEST INTEREST OF THE MEMBERS! HE IS A SMALL FISH IN A BIG POND AND HE IS ON A HUGE POWER TRIP.
You sound like one of the EXemployees - fired for misconduct!
Give me an exact # on how many have actually QUIT DTC since the new CEO Gates ahs come in.
Give me examples of illegal activity!
If you can do that you might win me over.
I'll be waiting.
Granny

Alexandria, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

As for the Gospel Music being played at the DTC meeting, has it ever been before? In what way was music played, live, recorded, during?

As for the "idiot" comment, your argument shows your mentality as limited.
lil ole me

Brush Creek, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Let's see, I know of a minimum of four CSR's that have left since Mr. Gates came on board. And there have been a couple of crew members to leave on their own as well.
That is not typical of DTC employees. People who obtain a position there normally retire from there.
As far as illegal activity, it may not be illegal in a criminal sense but he violated policy as if it didn't exist. Hiring/ promoting people within the company without first posting the job openings, Abolishing employee handbook and making up policies as he goes along, recording employee phone calls prior to informing the employees that their calls were being monitored.
He has essentially left employees without a voice and the ones who did take their complaints to the board of directors were quickly reprimanded.
It is my opinion that DTC CEO, is an arrogant jerk who thinks he can come in and do whatever he wants to whomever he wants.
As for exact number of those who left own their own, I can say 6 in less than a year that I know of. Those fired, about 6 more.
Numbers aren't important to me, how you treat people is what matters and he treats people like crap.

Comcast

Smithville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

For $20.00 a month -

Comcast provides unlimited long distance - no more bills for calling Cookeville, McMinnville, Lebanon, Nashville - or anywhere else in the lower US.

Caller ID

Voice Mail

3-Way Calling,

several call forwarding features

A lot better deal than DTC - vote with your phone and move your service.

DTC ain't the big bully they used to be, cause now you have a choice.
Bell South

Smithville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

Here's where your $20 a month goes: Comcast execs or their wives and Board Members contributed $235,650 to the Obama Victory Fund in 2012 and Comcast employees contributed $80,000 to the Obama For America political fund according to the Federal Election Commission. Now that they have merged with NBC Universal expect them to captialize on their almost 'monopoly' like grip they have on the media industry. Do some research.
Comcast

Smithville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

Bell South wrote:
Here's where your $20 a month goes: Comcast execs or their wives and Board Members contributed $235,650 to the Obama Victory Fund in 2012 and Comcast employees contributed $80,000 to the Obama For America political fund according to the Federal Election Commission. Now that they have merged with NBC Universal expect them to captialize on their almost 'monopoly' like grip they have on the media industry. Do some research.
DUDE! That makes no sense!

Who cares. I want the best deal for my money.

I don't have to agree with the "political philosophy" of a company to take advantage of a good deal.

This is America. I ain't gonna marry the motherscratchers. If DTC decides to compete and offer a better deal, I'll change back.

By the way - how much money did your comrades at DTC and AT&T donate through the Communication Workers of America Union?

This is economics 101 - yes, Obama doesn't "get it" but neither do you.
Verizon

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Do some research and you will see to that DTC Board members and their families are are being taken on lavish retreats at your expense. So, they can cut out my yearly refund but still afford to send their CEO and board members on expensive trips to resorts? Plus a board member gets DTC company paid insurance for attending two meetings a year?? WRONG!
Furthermore, I was told that DTC has been having managers' meeting at venues like Lakeside Resort when they just recently built a new office in Smithville with a huge conference room specifically for these meetings. there is no question in my mind that the good ole boys club is alive and well at DTC which sucks because you try to support hometown businesses and this is the thanks you get. No thanks, I will keep my Verizon. I would rather support a corporate giant than a bunch of "good ole boys" with no moral compasses.
Verizon

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

DTC..."owned by those we serve" I call Bulls**t.
Back at him

Kings Mountain, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Looks like the employees aren't the only ones who might be looking for a job
mouse in the house

Smithville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Back at him wrote:
Looks like the employees aren't the only ones who might be looking for a job
maybe people need to call their board member an encourage them to dismiss gates
still need more proof

Clover, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Fired DTC Employees Claim Extortion, Wrongful Termination in Federal Lawsuit; DTC Denies Allegations
February 26, 2013
by:
Dwayne Page
Craig Gates
DTC Communications
Claiming they were the victims of a scheme to get rid of them and others, two former employees of DTC Communications, James A Vaden of Carthage and Kevin C. Young of Smithville filed a federal court lawsuit against the company and the CEO Craig Gates in November claiming they were the victims of extortion and wrongful termination. Vaden and Young contend that the defendants, DTC and Gates, wrongfully interfered with their employee benefits and improperly denied them their severance benefits. The incident, according to the lawsuit, has also triggered an extortion investigation by authorities in the 13th & 15th Judicial Districts against Gates.
The dismissal of both Vaden and Young apparently grew out of a probe into allegations that a group of DTC employees had participated in a scheme to sell copper cable owned by the company for their own benefit. Vaden and Young claim they did not participate in such a scheme.
Gates and DTC Communications have answered the lawsuit, denying the allegations made by Vaden and Young.
The case is set for trial in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee Northeastern Division on March 18, 2014 before U.S. Magistrate Judge Joe B. Brown with the final pretrial conference set for March 3, 2014 in Cookeville. Meanwhile a telephone conference with the parties to discuss the progress of the case and the possibility of ultimate dispute resolution is set for July 10, 2013
Vaden and Young claim that while they were both exemplary employees of DTC or DeKalb Telephone Cooperative the new Chief Executive Officer, Gates, implemented a scheme to rid the company of many of its most senior and therefore most highly compensated employees. Gates terminated a few employees outright. He presented several others with an ultimatum: sign an agreement requiring, among other things, that the employees be reclassified as "new hires" which would have reduced their pay and vested pension benefits, or be terminated. No matter what choice Young, Vaden, and their co-workers made, the defendants, DTC and Gates would cut their payroll expenses dramatically, a convenient result at a time when DTC was widely known to be suffering financially," according to the lawsuit.
Viewing the ultimatum to be nothing less than extortion, Young and Vaden refused to sign. They were promptly fired. To date, the defendants have refused to provide Young and Vaden with the severance benefits to which they are entitled pursuant to the company's severance welfare plan, according to the complaint.
Defendants, DTC and Gates' ultimatum to Young and Vaden constitutes extortion under the law of the State of Tennessee and that ultimatum is a wrongful basis for terminating Young and Vaden's employment. Rather than being motivated by any misconduct on Young and Vaden's part, defendant's actions were driven by a desire to interfere with Young and Vaden's pension, health, and welfare, and severance benefits and to retaliate against them for refusing to give up those benefits. Defendants have wrongfully denied Young and Vaden's benefits to which they are clearly entitled," according to the lawsuit.
In their answer to the lawsuit, DTC and Gates deny the allegations and deny there is any basis for liability. "After a careful and thorough investigation into the particularized facts, the defendants, DTC and Gates formed an honest belief that a group of employees, including Vaden and Young, participated in a scheme to sell copper cable owned by the company for their own benefit. Defendants, DTC and Gates deny that there is any basis whatsoever for individual liability as to Gates. Defendants deny that the severance policy contained in the employee handbook is a qualified plan pursuant to the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA). cont reading www.wjle.com
verizon

Clover, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

wow, just as i said it was.. please call you board members and demand a change.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

13 Users are viewing the Smithville Forum right now

Search the Smithville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 17 min Julia 140,679
Flair for sheriff 34 min Lawdawg 61
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 58 min HPV for all 8,940
Kidnapping on Bildad Road 18 hr van fan 5
Septic Pumping (Jul '13) 22 hr Jane 12
Butch cook Wed shame on you 49
Former Murfreesboro Vice Mayor Chris Bratcher R... Tue bon jovi 22
•••
•••
•••
•••

Smithville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••