"BVA Drug Prevention and Awareness Ho...

"BVA Drug Prevention and Awareness Hotline"

Posted in the Smithton Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Alarmed

Uniontown, PA

#1 Oct 29, 2013
A woman's testimony at the BVA school board meeting on 10/28/13 about her son's drug addiction brought back painful memories. It also triggered this site to be activated so that hopefully no one else has to go through this ordeal.
There was a family who lost twin boys as a result of drugs. One twin became paralyzed and wheelchair bound after a near fatal overdose of drugs. Several years later, the other twin boy committed suicide after a bout with drugs. Both boys were in their early 20's when their lives were terminated.
Another case involved a basketball player who had played in a European basketball league after college. With his extra amount of free time, he experimented with drug(s). The end result was that he had permanently altered his normal brain function. His clear way of thinking had been compromised.
Very serious

Canonsburg, PA

#4 Oct 30, 2013
This website can destroy a child with a certain posting about them. I pray that people will not use this site about drugs. Let the proper officials deal with the drug problem it is just as easy to call them as it is to post to this site. After reviewing the Belle Vernon sites the people are very hateful to each other I hope the administrator pulls this blog off. Drugs are a very serious problem but it needs to be taken care of the right way. I can see this turning into listing names of people not involved in drugs and those individuals developing mental problems or even suicide. I would not wish this on anyone. Please administrator delete this site. This is another form of cyber-bullying just like the eleven year girl in Fl who commit suicide last week. Keep it clean please for you could be responsible for ones life. If you take the time to help those in need of help there would be one less who needed that help. God Bless to all.
Totally agree

Uniontown, PA

#5 Oct 30, 2013
Very serious wrote:
This website can destroy a child with a certain posting about them. I pray that people will not use this site about drugs. Let the proper officials deal with the drug problem it is just as easy to call them as it is to post to this site. After reviewing the Belle Vernon sites the people are very hateful to each other I hope the administrator pulls this blog off. Drugs are a very serious problem but it needs to be taken care of the right way. I can see this turning into listing names of people not involved in drugs and those individuals developing mental problems or even suicide. I would not wish this on anyone. Please administrator delete this site. This is another form of cyber-bullying just like the eleven year girl in Fl who commit suicide last week. Keep it clean please for you could be responsible for ones life. If you take the time to help those in need of help there would be one less who needed that help. God Bless to all.
Thanks so much for your honest concern. It is totally agreed upon to delete this site completely to avoid misuse by others. If there is a safe way to post anti-drug literature to foster better understanding and awareness in our community, please let it be known. The only alternative would be the newspaper, local bulletin board etc.
bva

Pittsburgh, PA

#6 Nov 1, 2013
This is a good site for awareness purposes. If there are names posted that shouldn't be there then just report that specific post and it will be deleted, but not the whole thread. People need to talk about this.
And really, if the kid is doing drugs and his/her name is posted, that could be a good thing. Hopefully scare the kid enough to stop and let parents know to watch who their kids hang out with
To bva

Pittsburgh, PA

#7 Nov 1, 2013
Once a name goes on this list rumors start and you can not stop that. Once again Drugs are BAD! Don't start it with a name. All people don't read this site only the ones who like rumors have been on this site and it will get out of hand before the site deletes it. The Damage has been done and may be to late. Try it by putting your name on it and then try to have it deleted before the rumors start all over BVA, really. You can save a life today take time to help a person. Don't enable them it does more harm. From A BVA parent who has been though all of this. God bless
Did you know this

Uniontown, PA

#8 Nov 1, 2013
Hope there is no truth to this, but had heard that drug abusers are smoking alcohol and another drinking Aquanet hairspray.
They Lied

Uniontown, PA

#9 Nov 2, 2013
Please go to "youtube" and watch this with teenager(s). It is titled "They Lied Drug Prevention Video". The video lasts about 8 minutes.
Narcotics Detective Tips

Uniontown, PA

#11 Nov 6, 2013
Here are some helpful tips from a veteran narcotics detective to exercise immediately especially with children around.

1) Prescription Drugs.
Always keep track of how many pills are in the bottle after each use. It may even be wise to hide or to lock up all prescription drugs.

2) Be a Parent First, a Friend Second.
Maintain a parental role with your child's
social activities, friends etc. This should continue into
high school even into college years. The child
may not like this constant watchful eye from a
parents' standpoint, but 10 years from now,
he or she will remember to thank their parents
for it.

ParentLine

Uniontown, PA

#13 Nov 8, 2013
Narcotics Detective Tips wrote:
Here are some helpful tips from a veteran narcotics detective to exercise immediately especially with children around.
1) Prescription Drugs.
Always keep track of how many pills are in the bottle after each use. It may even be wise to hide or to lock up all prescription drugs.
2) Be a Parent First, a Friend Second.
Maintain a parental role with your child's
social activities, friends etc. This should continue into
high school even into college years. The child
may not like this constant watchful eye from a
parents' standpoint, but 10 years from now,
he or she will remember to thank their parents
for it.
Take this a step further. It is to best to lock up all medications. With the flu season just around the corner, cold medications are on the rise. Have already seen 2 empty bottles of cough medicine in an alley this week.

Another excellent website to google is "Skittling-Child and Family Services". It explains the various types and dangers of prescription drugs such as opiods, CNS depressants, stimulants, cold medications etc.
Also Known As

Uniontown, PA

#14 Nov 9, 2013
ParentLine wrote:
<quoted text>
Take this a step further. It is to best to lock up all medications. With the flu season just around the corner, cold medications are on the rise. Have already seen 2 empty bottles of cough medicine in an alley this week.
Another excellent website to google is "Skittling-Child and Family Services". It explains the various types and dangers of prescription drugs such as opiods, CNS depressants, stimulants, cold medications etc.
Came across a comment which stated that "skittling" was known as "bean party" during the 1990's.
Dummys

Canonsburg, PA

#15 Nov 9, 2013
Also Known As wrote:
<quoted text>
Came across a comment which stated that "skittling" was known as "bean party" during the 1990's.
You're all insane. The purported purpose of this site is to stop drug abuse with our children yet most of you have just planted seeds in their minds if they read your comments. You people put some things on here that I never heard of. Keep your ideas to yourself and quit educating our children in the wrong fashion.
Calendar Watch

Uniontown, PA

#16 Nov 11, 2013
There are 2 meetings scheduled on Tuesday (November 12, 2013).

1) Nar-Anon meeting for families of loved ones in addiction. First United Methodist Church, 602 Lincoln Ave., Charleroi, 7 to 8 PM.

2) Westmoreland Drug and Alcohol Commission board of directors meeting. Westmoreland County Community College, 6:45 PM.
Bridge of Hope

Uniontown, PA

#17 Nov 13, 2013
Bridge of Hope Nar-Anon family group meeting (for persons affected by drug abuse in a family member or friend) Fayette County Health Center, 100 New Salem Road, Uniontown, PA, 7 PM (Thursday, 11/14/13).
Ugly Trend

Uniontown, PA

#18 Nov 14, 2013
Deaths from drug overdoses have risen in rural areas, according to the National Center for Health Statistics. Rural counties saw higher increases in adjusted death rates from 1999-2009 as the death rates rose 394% vs. 297% in metro areas. Figuring out geographic patterns helps drug policies and programs to curb drug overdoses, the center said.
FYI

Uniontown, PA

#19 Nov 14, 2013
Heard on the local TV news this evening about a drug bust in Mt. Pleasant. It was learned that there was some "Sweet Tarts" candy tainted with LSD.
Be aware

Monessen, PA

#20 Nov 15, 2013
FYI wrote:
Heard on the local TV news this evening about a drug bust in Mt. Pleasant. It was learned that there was some "Sweet Tarts" candy tainted with LSD.
Spoke with a deputy coroner from Westmoreland County in the early Spring and he informed those in attendance at that
particular meeting held in Rostraver Twp that the Mon Valley is saturated with heroin. Also that I70 and Rte 30 are corridors for the delivery of heroin. In speaking with a woman who works for the states health department dealing with these individuals was informed that it is very rare that an individual who goes to rehab no matter how many times, it is never successful. Evidently once addicted to heroin your body always craves the drug; you are never rid of that craving.
Staying Straight

Uniontown, PA

#21 Nov 15, 2013
Be aware wrote:
<quoted text>
Spoke with a deputy coroner from Westmoreland County in the early Spring and he informed those in attendance at that
particular meeting held in Rostraver Twp that the Mon Valley is saturated with heroin. Also that I70 and Rte 30 are corridors for the delivery of heroin. In speaking with a woman who works for the states health department dealing with these individuals was informed that it is very rare that an individual who goes to rehab no matter how many times, it is never successful. Evidently once addicted to heroin your body always craves the drug; you are never rid of that craving.
Thanks for sharing this information. Had known for quite sometime that heroin has reached epidemic proportions in the Mon Valley. The main objective is to get the word out by sharing information like this. Anyone associated with drugs should be reported to the police privately and not on this thread.
It was recently reported locally that prescription drugs were taken from a parked vehicle. This is another issue that must used with caution. These days, it is not worth the risk just to leave coin change, CD's, prescription drugs being seen visibly in a parked vehicle. Have experienced others having their parked vehicles broken into by having these items exposed.
Painful Moment

Uniontown, PA

#22 Nov 16, 2013
Attended a recent Reality Tour which dramatizes the troubling events involved in the use of drugs. Afterwards, there was a Q & A session in which a narcotic detective was seen showing the various types of stamped bags containing heroin. A woman in the audience was seen sobbing. The detective later found out that the woman had seen her daughter having these similar bags in her purse and thought they might have been gum wrappers etc. The daughter died from a drug overdose about 6 months ago.
Nar-Anon Meeting

Uniontown, PA

#23 Nov 18, 2013
Nar-Anon meeting, for families of loved ones in addiction, First United Methodist Church, 601 Lincoln Ave., Charleroi, 7 to 8 PM, Tuesday, November 19, 2013.
Bridge of Hope

Uniontown, PA

#24 Nov 20, 2013
Bridge of Hope Nar-Anon family group meeting (for persons affected by drug abuse in a family member or friend) Fayette County health Center, 100 New Salem Road, Uniontown, 7 PM, Thursday, 11/21/13.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Smithton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Liberty Ave Feb 11 Jill 1
michael poulton??? (Mar '17) Jan '18 Curious 6
Route 51 Nov '17 Bill 1
News Fire destroyed Twin Coaches 31 years ago (Nov '08) Nov '17 clb 28
Mike Poulton Sep '17 Who cares 1
Mindy Murphy Omear Sep '17 Muffin 1
News Woman sentenced in grant scam (Jul '07) Aug '17 jadedg17 6

Smithton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Smithton Mortgages