Del Norte man dies in Taser incident

Del Norte man dies in Taser incident

There are 201 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Jun 23, 2010, titled Del Norte man dies in Taser incident. In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

A Del Norte County man who assaulted two sheriff's deputies Tuesday morning died after he was shot with a Taser and began having trouble breathing, the Del Norte County Sheriff's Office reported.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
godspeed

Mckinleyville, CA

#1 Jun 23, 2010
O Thou forgiving Lord!
Although some souls have spent the days of their lives in ignorance,
and became estranged and contumacious,
yet, with one wave from the ocean of Thy forgiveness,
all those encompassed by sin will be set free.

Whomsoever Thou willest Thou makest a confidant,
and whosoever is not the object of Thy choice is accounted a transgressor.
Shouldst Thou deal with us with Thy justice,
we are all naught but sinners and deserving to be shut out from Thee,
but shouldst Thou uphold mercy,
every sinner would be made pure and every stranger a friend.

Bestow, then, Thy forgiveness and pardon,
and grant Thy mercy unto all.

Thou art the Forgiver, the Lightgiver and the Omnipotent.

Abdu’l-Baha
Jon Stevens

San Mateo, CA

#2 Jun 23, 2010
Good! Dirtbag tweaker.
anon hum

Eureka, CA

#3 Jun 23, 2010
Might have been a dirtbag tweaker, but rack up another body count for the Del Norte County Law Enforcement! Woo-hoo worst in the US!
park city

Vernal, UT

#4 Jun 23, 2010
oh thou forgiving lord,
although i hath tweakethed and lain assult upon thine deputies...
dont taze me Bro!
kimz

United States

#5 Jun 23, 2010
I guess you shouldn't resist the orders that law enforsement gives you. Sad, but true.
S A R I P

United States

#6 Jun 23, 2010
Were the police officier put on adminstrative leave and the tazers tested for maxed out voltage?? I here D.N. has a very large broom to sweep everything under the rug.But all in all if you resist arrest you suffer the buzz.
pittydafoo

San Francisco, CA

#7 Jun 23, 2010
day getting tired of da same ole same ole, no more disturbance calls from dat place...who next?
tukin my tail

Crescent City, CA

#8 Jun 23, 2010
S A R I P wrote:
Were the police officier put on adminstrative leave and the tazers tested for maxed out voltage?? I here D.N. has a very large broom to sweep everything under the rug.But all in all if you resist arrest you suffer the buzz.
hell no.were they put on leave
344thBrother

United States

#9 Jun 23, 2010
OK so now the total is well over 400 deaths from tazers in the USA.

It's ALWAYS assault on the officer, legit or not.

http://www.odmp.org/year.php...
LINE OF DUTY DEATHS OF POLICE OFFICERS

Total Line of Duty Deaths: 82
Aircraft accident: 1
Assault: 2
Automobile accident: 23
Boating accident: 1
Drowned: 1
Fall: 2
Gunfire: 28
Gunfire (Accidental): 1
Heart attack: 7
Motorcycle accident: 3
Struck by train: 1
Struck by vehicle: 4
Vehicle pursuit: 3
Vehicular assault: 5

Total Line of Duty Deaths: 127
9/11 related illness: 4
Accidental: 1
Aircraft accident: 4
Assault: 1
Automobile accident: 34
Duty related illness: 3
Gunfire: 47
Gunfire (Accidental): 2
Heart attack: 9
Struck by vehicle: 7
Vehicular assault: 9

Total Line of Duty Deaths: 145
9/11 related illness: 6
Aircraft accident: 3
Assault: 3
Automobile accident: 35
Bomb: 2
Duty related illness: 5
Electrocuted: 1
Gunfire: 40
Heart attack: 8
Motorcycle accident: 9
Stabbed: 1
Struck by vehicle: 12
Train accident: 1
Vehicular assault: 12

OK SO IN 2.5 YEARS 354 POLICE HAVE BEEN KILLED IN THE LINE OF DUTY. OF THESE 150 WERE DUE TO VIOLENCE/ASSAULT/GUNFIRE ETC..

Amnesty International's latest report on Tasers, titled, "USA: Less Than Lethal?" links 334 deaths to Taser use between the years 2001 and 2008.

"Amnesty International recognizes that, overall, the death rate compared to the number of reported Taser field uses is relatively low," the report states. "However, the organization remains concerned that Tasers are used in many situations where the degree of force deployed is unwarranted."
http://www.ydr.com/ci_11756300

Zapping Taser: The Lawsuits
CIR Web Exclusive | December 1, 2008
http://www.centerforinvestigativereporting.or...

OK SO BASED ON THESE NUMBERS, POLICE ARE 58% LIKELY TO DIE IN A NON VIOLENCE RELATED INCIDENT IN THE LINE OF DUTY.

YET IT SEEMS THAT ABOUT THE SAME NUMBER OF PEOPLE ARE KILLED BY TASERS AS DEATHS FROM VIOLENCE IN THE LINE OF DUTY.

Maybe it's time to reevaluate the use of tasers in any but the most dangerous incidents. Or maybe tasers should be reclassified as deadly force?

How many people died from baton injuries?
344thBrother

United States

#10 Jun 23, 2010
It begs the question.
Who is the greater threat, a policeman with a taser or a citizen with an attitude?
park city

Vernal, UT

#11 Jun 23, 2010
hahaha,
dont tase me bro!
soorechick

Medford, OR

#13 Jun 23, 2010
344thBrother wrote:
It begs the question.
Who is the greater threat, a policeman with a taser or a citizen with an attitude?
EXACTLY!!! THIS POST IS RIGHT!
A Turkeys Perspective

United States

#14 Jun 23, 2010
Aren't Tasers used because they do NOT kill people??????????

Is this not why officers use these instead of guns often?

I feel sorry for both the officers and the man who is dead. Our officers have a very VERY hard job in having to protect others from those who are willing to do violent harm to people. I don't think we can blame the officers here because the man was being violent to begin with, but the Tasers SHOULD be checked out as to why the discharge actually killed someone.
Shandy Cobane

Rancho Cordova, CA

#15 Jun 23, 2010
Yep, just do as your told little girl and you'll be o.k........

http://cbs13.com/local/eric.cephus.arrest.2.1...
344thBrother

United States

#16 Jun 23, 2010
A Turkeys Perspective wrote:
Aren't Tasers used because they do NOT kill people??????????
Is this not why officers use these instead of guns often?
I feel sorry for both the officers and the man who is dead. Our officers have a very VERY hard job in having to protect others from those who are willing to do violent harm to people. I don't think we can blame the officers here because the man was being violent to begin with, but the Tasers SHOULD be checked out as to why the discharge actually killed someone.
Nope, tasers kill more people than batons did. Beanbag rounds and rubber bullets kill people too. So does choking people down. So does crushing their chest. So does body slamming them.

We're assuming that the man was being "Violent" we don't really know the details, but if he wasn't "resisting arrest" before they tased him, he surely was after wards. Seizures are resisting. Doncha know.

Back in the day, policemen in New York City in some of the worst barrows would go their entire careers without ever even drawing their weapon. Now, they LOOK for ANY reason to pull their piece or a taser and scream GET ON THEGROUNDGETONTHEGROUNDGETONTH EGROUNDSTOPRESISTINGBLABLABLA.

I feel less safe around a screaming cop than I do around a hostile gang banger. At least the banger isn't scared to death. thus he will still be capable of thought.

Police training is just plain wrong nowdays. Cops think they're victims and in constant danger. That's just bullsh.it. 150 cops die from violence per year...approximately. Approximately 50,000 people die in vehicle wrecks... Enough with the COPS HAVE DANGEROUS JOBS crap. So do firemen, loggers, mill workers, truck drivers, postal workers, construction workers. You don't see them whining and crying how dangerous everything is. You don't see them waving a gun around and screaming all the time.

Cops are NOT military, they should stop acting like it and become people again... Remember "PROTECT AND SERVE?

COPS...
WHO DO YOU PROTECT?
WHO DO YOU SERVE?
Middle of the road

Rancho Cordova, CA

#17 Jun 23, 2010
344thBrother wrote:
OK so now the total is well over 400 deaths from tazers in the USA.
It's ALWAYS assault on the officer, legit or not.
http://www.odmp.org/year.php...
LINE OF DUTY DEATHS OF POLICE OFFICERS
Total Line of Duty Deaths: 82
Aircraft accident: 1
Assault: 2
Automobile accident: 23
Boating accident: 1
Fall: 2
Gunfire: 28
Gunfire (Accidental): 1
Heart attack: 7
Struck by train: 1
Struck by vehicle: 4
Vehicular assault: 5
Total Line of Duty Deaths: 127
9/11 related illness: 4
Aircraft accident: 4
Assault: 1
Automobile accident: 34
Duty related illness: 3
Gunfire: 47
Heart attack: 9
Struck by vehicle: 7
Vehicular assault: 9
Total Line of Duty Deaths: 145
9/11 related illness: 6
Aircraft accident: 3
Assault: 3
Automobile accident: 35
Bomb: 2
Duty related illness: 5
Electrocuted: 1
Gunfire: 40
Heart attack: 8
Motorcycle accident: 9
Stabbed: 1
Struck by vehicle: 12
Train accident: 1
Vehicular assault: 12
OK SO IN 2.5 YEARS 354 POLICE HAVE BEEN KILLED IN THE LINE OF DUTY. OF THESE 150 WERE DUE TO VIOLENCE/ASSAULT/GUNFIRE ETC..
Amnesty International's latest report on Tasers, titled, "USA: Less Than Lethal?" links 334 deaths to Taser use between the years 2001 and 2008.
"Amnesty International recognizes that, overall, the death rate compared to the number of reported Taser field uses is relatively low," the report states. "However, the organization remains concerned that Tasers are used in many situations where the degree of force deployed is unwarranted."
http://www.ydr.com/ci_11756300
Zapping Taser: The Lawsuits
CIR Web Exclusive | December 1, 2008
http://www.centerforinvestigativereporting.or...
OK SO BASED ON THESE NUMBERS, POLICE ARE 58% LIKELY TO DIE IN A NON VIOLENCE RELATED INCIDENT IN THE LINE OF DUTY.
YET IT SEEMS THAT ABOUT THE SAME NUMBER OF PEOPLE ARE KILLED BY TASERS AS DEATHS FROM VIOLENCE IN THE LINE OF DUTY.
Maybe it's time to reevaluate the use of tasers in any but the most dangerous incidents. Or maybe tasers should be reclassified as deadly force?
How many people died from baton injuries?
Soooooo, the data you posted indicates that cops sitting at a desk and who may have never been in the trenches and who died of heart -attack "died in the line of duty"?

I notice there aren't any statistics on officers killed by friendly fire, wonder why.

How many people died at the hand of law enforcement in those 2 1/2 years
WTF

Arcata, CA

#18 Jun 23, 2010
They tased him so they wouldn't have to shoot him.......he died as an accident of that tasing. If you don't want them to carry a taser, they can just shoot people instead. No more accidental deaths....would that make you feel better? Or maybe cops should just carry around water guns and flowers. They can give out hugs instead of cuffs. After all, they are the real meanies in the community. We would be perfectly safe if those darn bully cops would just leave everyone alone.....right?

As for the statistics....the number of deaths from tasers compared to the number of people tased is very low. Why is that compared to the number of cops killed? Do we need a higher number of police officers killed in order to justify tasing someone? That's stupid. They are doing a JOB. How many of you want to risk your life at work? I know at the end of the day I'm going home to my family. When they suit up in the morning, they make a decision to come home to their families no matter what. You think that violent offender cared if those cops were hurt of killed? Stop blaming the police that are out there protecting ALL OF YOU. Blame the violent people that resist arrest and put everyone in danger.
allegedly folks

Cinebar, WA

#19 Jun 23, 2010
"A Del Norte County man who assaulted two sheriff's deputies Tuesday morning"
Shouldn't this read "A Del Norte County man who ALLEGEDLY assaulted..."?
Come on, he's dead now and can't defend himself...you can't trust the cops to say anything that will make them look bad. And it's basic journalism:)
Cindy

Crescent City, CA

#20 Jun 23, 2010
worst in the world. What is your issue? They go out every day and work their butts off for little pay and short staffed and you say worst in the world? Let me see, someone is breaking into your house who do you call???? I thought so.. Pretty happy to see the "worst in the world" huh?
neo-anon

Sacramento, CA

#21 Jun 23, 2010
Was he on some of that famous mushroom tea they drink up there, or is that just for "cage fighters"?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Smith River Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gang Graffiti (Apr '08) 20 hr James 2
Toilets to Charge $1.25 a Pop? 21 hr Money in Poo 1
Arrest for Trump Statue Sex Act? Sun Pappy Yoachiums 1
Nude Trump Statue Painted Orange Aug 20 lost bahls 1
thinking of moving to Crescent City (Dec '07) Aug 18 LaToona 26
Trump Equals Lincoln? Aug 18 talking yambat 1
FOX's ROGER AILES as PRESIDENT? Aug 14 Sensitive Roger 1

Smith River Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance