Slidell motorcyclist killed in crash;...

Slidell motorcyclist killed in crash; other driver charged

There are 28 comments on the WWL-TV New Orleans story from Oct 4, 2008, titled Slidell motorcyclist killed in crash; other driver charged. In it, WWL-TV New Orleans reports that:

A two-vehicle crash caused the death of a motorcyclist and the other driver to be charged with negligent homicide, said Slidell Police spokesman Cpt.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WWL-TV New Orleans.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Denise

AOL

#1 Oct 4, 2008
Weston J. Burnside was my brother. I have only a few details of the accident in which he was killed on October 4, 2008. I am sure the investigation will be fair. He would be the first to forgive, for that was his nature. He would not want the man who was involved in the accident to suffer, just as Jesus suffered or us. Weston was a pastor to a few churches in MS, CO and AZ. He was a devout Christian and a school teacher. He leaves behind two sons, Weston J. Burnside, III and Jonathan Weston Burnside of LA. A mother, Betty L. Burnside, a sister, Debbie Moulds, a brother, Frank Bishop and a sister, Denise Burnside, all from MS. He also leaves behind nieces and nephews.

Weston had a crown filled by the jewels he called friends. He was not rich by means of monetary ways, but he had a wealth in friends. He never met a stranger and if they were a stranger, they were not for long. He forgave, to forgive is to be forgiven. His life in the past year or more was very hard on him, but he gave his burdens over to Our Lord. Our Lord had other plans for him, because Weston did all he could for those in his life.

I am beyond sad that I have lost such a wonderful brother and friend. As my eyes well up with tears I pray he did not suffer, I was told he died upon impact. He suffered enough well over a year, due to circumstances beyond his control. He no longer has to suffer, for he is now in the arms of Our Lord and Savior.

Rest in eternal peace, dear Weston. I will miss you more than words can express.

I love you,
Your sister,
Denise
Cheryl Lynn Dean

White House, TN

#2 Oct 4, 2008
Weston J. Burnside was my cousin. I loved him very much, I will truely miss you Weston.I will Cherish the Memories we had . Denise you wrote a Beautiful Letter I couldn't have spoken any better.
Rest in Peace Precious Weston

I Love You
Your Cousin
Cheryl Lynn Dean
Clayton Jones

Miramar Beach, FL

#3 Oct 4, 2008
Weston J. Burnside was also my cousin he will be truely missed . I will always cherish the good times we had together growing Up.
You made Us all Proud of you and I know as I write this Heaven has another Angel watching over Us. I love you Weston you were the Best. Rest In Heavenly Peace .
I Love You
Your Cousin ,
Clayton M. Jones
Mary Rosalee Jones

Pinola, MS

#4 Oct 4, 2008
Weston was my Nephew I loved and cherished him . He made us all proud of him with his accomplishments . You will be missed by everyone in this Family. Rest in peace My Sweet Nephew .

I Love you very much ,
Your Aunt ,
Mary Rosalee Jones
Mrs Lee-Dismuke

United States

#5 Oct 5, 2008
Mr. Burnside was my daughters teacher. Mr. Burnside was caring and loved christ to the fullest. My daughter took his death very hard as well as the other students. Mr. Burnside made sure that his students knew about Christ and his love for Christ. He will be missed by all.
Phillip Swindall

United States

#6 Oct 5, 2008
Weston was one of my very best friends while we attended New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary in the late 1990's. Of all of his accomplishments in his life, he was most proud of the fact that he loved his children.
The last few years of his life had been a struggle, but, he always held onto the promises of God for an abundant life. He worked hard to restore broken relationships, just as God, through Jesus, had restored the broken, sinful relationship between himself and the sinless, holy God.
Weston will be missed... by those who have posted these comments, and by so many others, in whom he had invested his life. As someone said in an earlier post, he didn't have a lot of possessions here on this mortal plane.. but he has PLENTY of returns on the investments he had made into the lives and souls of people all over the world.
I'll miss you, brother. You were always a huge encouragement to my life, and will continue to be.
Lana

United States

#7 Oct 5, 2008
I attended the Oak Street Baptist Church this morning and were both surprised to learn that Pastor Weston passed into Eternity yesterday.
Last week, I was selecting the congregational songs and decided to get the songs from a book Pastor Weston had compiled. As I chose the songs I thought of him and how he loved those songs ... Today, as we sang the medley of songs, "Because He Lives", "Alleluia" & "Holy Ground", I couldn't help but think that Pastor Weston was FINALLY at peace and very much alive, in the presence of our Lord and Savior! Praise God!
My husband and I met Pastor Weston in September 2007, when he asked me to play the piano for a revival at Oak Street Baptist Church. He was carrying a heavy burden, but he kept his eyes fixed on the Lord and trusted in the promises of God's Word. We admired his faith and resolve through difficult circumstances.
Whenever I would sing on Friday night at the Oak Street Haven (a local Christian bookstore & coffee house), Pastor Weston would always come and lend his support and encouragement.:-)
He was a wonderful, Man of God with a beautiful gift of music that flowed from his heart.
Our love and prayers are with his children and family.
May the Lord Bless you,
Lana
Storm Williams

Osyka, MS

#8 Oct 5, 2008
I knew Weston before and after Christ. His life was real and inspirational. I look forward to seeing him again one day.

My prayers are with his family
Storm Williams
Rhonda Gilmer

Metairie, LA

#9 Oct 6, 2008
My daughter was in Mr. Burnside's religion class this year. As a parent, I thought he was wonderful with the children. He cared about the children very much. My daughter and her whole class will miss him terribly. Our prayers are with his family at this hard time.
Keith Thrash

Idaho Falls, ID

#10 Oct 6, 2008
It was my privilege to be Weston's Pastor for several years at Russell Baptist Church in Meridian, Ms. As you have read in many of the postings here, Weston certainly marched to the beat of a different drummer. His drummer was the Spirit of God. He honored Christ as a man of courage, discipline, and enthusiasm even in the face of tremendous discouragement and disappointment. Weston had an indomitable Spirit that drove him to pursue the Kingdom of God with all his heart. May this be true of us all. I miss him.
I'm looking forward to seeing you again my brother. Enjoy the the King you represented so well!

Keith
Tom Gibson _ Kingman AZ

Needles, CA

#11 Oct 6, 2008
"We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the LORD." Weston lived by this quotation from the Apostle Paul. It was a great pleasure to run the audio/video portions of the worship service for him. Many tapes and DVD's were recorded during his time at Hilltop/Oak Street SBC in Kingman. I know he will be missed greatly here since he touched many lives in his bi-vocational teaching positions at Mohave Community College and the Kingman High school. Our sympathy and condolence goes out to his family and friends.He is definitely at home with the LORD !
Kevin Harrison

United States

#12 Oct 6, 2008
I had the incredible privilege to know Weston as we spent a great number of hours together in the Rocky Ridge Recording Studio in Collinsville, MS, recording and just getting to know each other as I was traveling the US in evangelism. He was a gifted musician who helped me orchestrate an entire musical, as well as to record and produce a song I wrote for my mother.

He was a true Christ follower who lived EVERYTHING he believed!

I'm in the middle of a preaching series called "The Bucket List of Jesus" at our church, VLC - Waco, TX, and I've asked the questions in the series, "What would you do if you only had one week to live? Are you living the way Jesus spent the last week of His life?" For Weston, I'm completely confident he did and today he is in the amazing presence of our Lord and Savior.

Ate logo, meu irmão!
Tom Bacoka

Loxley, AL

#13 Oct 6, 2008
I first met Weston at a coffee house event at Oak St Church in Kingman Az. We (my dear Brothers in the Lord) Lon Abbott and Ken Wadley were playing music for the event. At the end of the evening Pastor Weston qued us with a chord progression, which turned out to be the song "People Get Ready". That was the first song of many which we did with Weston, he would always close with that one.
Now, fighting back tears I can still hear Westons tenor voice singing out the words "People Get Ready, theres a train comin, don't need no ticket, you just get on board.
Weston my dear Brother In Christ, your example to us all was an example straight from the Lord of True Brotherly Love.
We will miss you dear friend, the joy behind the tears comes only from His strength. Thank you Jesus for the peace which can only come from You.
And as Weston sang in one song that he wrote, "Do all in the name of Lord Jesus". I'll try Brother, I'll try.
My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of my friend, may the Lord bring peace and comfort to you all at this time.

Until we meet in Heaven Weston, I'll keep you in my heart.

Tom
Aunt Sarah-Cousin Karen

AOL

#14 Oct 6, 2008
Let us tell you about our precious Weston. He truly loved people, and was truly loved by others. He was a true testimony to agape love which comes only from Jesus Christ. We shed tears only for the loss that we feel personally. We know he is in the presence of the Lord and has the victory that we all seek. We know he is dining tonight with the Master. Hallelujah! Thanks for being such a wonderful inspiration to others both in song and word. You will never be forgotten. You walked the walk and talked the talk, which is a true testimony to the Lord Jesus. Cousin Karen says she can still remember you playing the guitar and singing Christian music at your mother's home in Mississippi.
karissa

Slidell, LA

#15 Oct 6, 2008
he was my health teacher and he was also my friend he was helpin me with my test and was comin to see me later that day and on the half of my school we will all miss his dearly
Denise

AOL

#16 Oct 6, 2008
A Memorial Service for Weston J. Burnside, Jr. will be held Saturday, October, 11, 2008, at 2:00 p.m. at Center Grove Baptist Church, on Causeyville Road in Meridian MS. The Rev. Jimmy Culpepper will be officiating the services. Mr. Burnside died from massive head injuries he sustained after being forced to lay down the motorcycle in a two vehicle accident in Slidell, LA, October 4, 2008.
Rev. Weston J. Burnside, 47, was a Meridian native and a Meridian High School graduate in 1979. He was Ordained: June 9, 1995 and Licensed: August 7, 1994. Russell Baptist Church, Meridian, MS
Mr. Burnside had a Master of Divinity, in Pastoral Ministries/Evangelism (completed in 2000) New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, New Orleans, LA. He held a Bachelor of Arts, in Pastoral Ministries/Christian Education (completed in 1998) New Orleans Baptist Undergraduate College, New Orleans, LA.
He served as Pastor at Center Grove Baptist Church, Meridian, MS from 1999-2003. He was Senior Pastor at Oak Street Baptist Church, Kingman, AZ, from 2003-2007. He was the Musical Worship Leader at College Park Southern Baptist Church, Kingman, AZ, for seven months.
He taught full time English at Kingman Unified School District #20. He recently taught at First Baptist Christian School in Slidell, LA, where he was a resident.
In lieu of flowers, the family of Mr. Burnside ask that a donation be made to Center Grove Baptist Church, 6930 Causeyville Road, Meridian, MS 39301, In Memory of A Reason For Hope. An International Apologetics and Evangelism Ministry Website, administered by Weston J. Burnside, Jr.(M.Div. N.O.B.T.S.)
Hardy McCormick

Terry, MS

#17 Oct 7, 2008
I am from Sorest, MS and I played, in a band, with Weston, in 1982. He was one of the BEST singers I have ever worked with. It was fitting that he dedicated that talent to Our Lord Jesus. He was, as I remember him, easy going and an inspiration for all he came into contact with.
I understand the dangers of motorcycles, as I have lost a few friends, while they were enjoying that "freedom" of riding. I ride, myself, and fully understand how we must watch out for those in cars and trucks, that just simply do not see us.
The last time I saw Weston was about 2000. He told me that he had given his life to the Lord. I am confident that he is with The Lord, now, and singing, with his heavenly voice, as he leads God's choir.
My wife and I wish his family and friends Gods strength.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#18 Oct 9, 2008
Also, Weston's formal funeral will be held next week. This is due to a delay in the releasing of his body from the coroner because of legal problems.

Additionally, if any of you who knew Weston, would like to write down your memories of him for my children, I would appreciate it. I want them to know the type of person their daddy was from the people who knew him and loved him. You could email them to me. Thank you.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#19 Oct 9, 2008
I am Weston's wife, now widow. Thank you all for the kind comments about my husband. He was one of a kind. HE HAD THE AMAZING ABILITY TO LOVE others even THOSE WHO MADE THEMSELVES UNLOVABLE< this i believe was because of his relationship with the Lord. As his wife of ten years, I know he would want you each to show God's love to everyone you meet, as was his way. He would want you to read and study your bible, spend time in prayer, and praise the Lord in all things. This he did on a daily basis. As I daily tell my children how much their father loved them, I am reminded of the importance of showing that love on a daily basis. Our boys love to sing a VBS song, Let MY actions match my passions. On the way to school recently, one of them asked me what 'passions' meant. I simply explained that it means what is in our heart. If we know God in our heart then our outward actions will reflect God's love. They were excited to understand the song they love to sing. I see in them their daddy's love for music and love for people. When I told my children of their daddy's death, my seven year old asked me if his daddy had obeyed his parents because the bible says if you obey your parents then you will live a long life. His question caused me to reflect upon the importance of obeying God's word. And in order to obey the Word, you must know it. This is what my husband dedicated his life to, since he accepted the Lord- to teach others God's precious Word. Even through our struggles this past year, Weston continued to teach the bible. He died with his bible in his pocket, ready to share God's word at any time. Pray for me as I strive to raise my children as Weston would want.
Diana B

La Place, LA

#20 Oct 11, 2008
TaraRB wrote:
I am Weston's wife, now widow. Thank you all for the kind comments about my husband. He was one of a kind. HE HAD THE AMAZING ABILITY TO LOVE others even THOSE WHO MADE THEMSELVES UNLOVABLE< this i believe was because of his relationship with the Lord. As his wife of ten years, I know he would want you each to show God's love to everyone you meet, as was his way. He would want you to read and study your bible, spend time in prayer, and praise the Lord in all things. This he did on a daily basis. As I daily tell my children how much their father loved them, I am reminded of the importance of showing that love on a daily basis. Our boys love to sing a VBS song, Let MY actions match my passions. On the way to school recently, one of them asked me what 'passions' meant. I simply explained that it means what is in our heart. If we know God in our heart then our outward actions will reflect God's love. They were excited to understand the song they love to sing. I see in them their daddy's love for music and love for people. When I told my children of their daddy's death, my seven year old asked me if his daddy had obeyed his parents because the bible says if you obey your parents then you will live a long life. His question caused me to reflect upon the importance of obeying God's word. And in order to obey the Word, you must know it. This is what my husband dedicated his life to, since he accepted the Lord- to teach others God's precious Word. Even through our struggles this past year, Weston continued to teach the bible. He died with his bible in his pocket, ready to share God's word at any time. Pray for me as I strive to raise my children as Weston would want.
So sorry to hear about Weston my prayers and thoughts are with you and the kids. It has been a long time since we've seen each other and even longer since I saw Weston but from what I have been reading he was truly a man of God in every way. Again I am so sorry Tara, God will give you the strength you and the kids need like only he can. I still live in LaPlace my email address is [email protected] if you need anything. I will continue to pray for you and the kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Slidell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
i really don't feel like paying 5 bucks to toll... Dec 2 peace thomas 3
just came out of walmart so sad man Nov '17 Whachu talkn bout... 3
sad man. maybe the youth are ending up just lik... Nov '17 Blu 2
it's soo sad and out of respect shouldn't say b... Oct '17 the real occurences 1
Looking for someone who knew my Aunt & Uncle fr... (Feb '16) Oct '17 Becky 3
Hartman (Mar '17) Oct '17 YesPlease 13
peace, i know. the world needs it right :) Oct '17 no worries 1

Slidell Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Slidell Mortgages