Doc: Minnesota boy resisting chemo will likely die

Full story: TwinCities.com

A 13-year-old boy resisting chemotherapy for cancer will likely die without the treatment, his doctor testified today.
Comments
1 - 20 of 357 Comments Last updated May 28, 2009
First Prev
of 18
Next Last
Liberty

Orlando, FL

#1 May 8, 2009
It is their choice!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Sarah D

Minneapolis, MN

#2 May 8, 2009
If it was just the parents refusing to allow their child to undergo chemotherapy it would be one thing.

But if the boy himself refuses to undergo it I don't know how they could force him. Would they drag him in kicking and screaming and strap him down?
Hardhead

Richton Park, IL

#3 May 8, 2009
He is a minor, although it is the parent's choice, it is not without hazard. If the child dies because the parents refuse medical treatment they should be tried for homicide. There is a reason they call it alternative medicine, it is an alternative to medicine. And usually doesn't work.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Feb 08

Saint Paul, MN

#4 May 8, 2009
Kids need really good parents because a 13 year old has no clue what is best for them. The mother of this boy seems like she might be doing him a terrible disservice by stoking his fear of his cancer and the treatment. What 13 year old would not be depressed about their situation if they had cancer? What 13 year old would not be afraid of chemo and radiation? This kid needs the treatment and some rigorous counseling to help him through what would be a tough time even for the most well rounded adult.

If this had been me you can bet that I would have resisted, or outright refused, chemo and radiation, but you know what my parents would have done? They would have sat me down and explained the situation, told me that they would be with me every step of the way and they would have made it clear that I was having the treatment. Terrible, difficult situation, but the parent needs to step up and do the right thing for her son.

Just my opinion.

Peace.
TiVo Girl

Minnetonka, MN

#5 May 8, 2009
Sarah D wrote:
If it was just the parents refusing to allow their child to undergo chemotherapy it would be one thing.
But if the boy himself refuses to undergo it I don't know how they could force him. Would they drag him in kicking and screaming and strap him down?
Yes. Just like you're expected to do the same with a child that refuses to go to school and has a truancy problem. If the kid doesn't go to school, the parents are charged.

Minors have no rights when it comes to making decisions regarding their welfare. That is the parents' job.

Chemo and radiation do make people sick. It's how it works, unfortunately. But, if my kid had a curable form of cancer (and not terminal) then I would be banging down the door of any oncologist I could get to treat my child. The sickness is temporary. There's a chance for a full life. Death is permanent.

“Who, me?”

Since: Jun 08

Amery

#6 May 8, 2009
When I was a child, I didn't like taking my medicine either.
Granted, gagging on an aspirin, or, having to choke down cough syrup isn't the same as chemo and radiation.
But, I wouldn't have died from not taking my meds, either.

The parents originally said they would put him back on the treatments if the tumors got larger. They have.
Put him on the treatments.

When the bible talks about poisoning the body, it isn't referring to medicine. It is referring to recreational drugs. Yes. They had them in biblical times as well.

I would let the parents know that, if they truly feel it is against their religion, then the child doesn't need to go on the treatments. However, if he dies because of the lack of treatment, it is 100% the parents fault.
The government can't force someone to go against true religious beliefs.
But, we can make the parents aware of the fact that they killed their child each and every day they are alive.
north

Gatzke, MN

#7 May 8, 2009
iam sick of these court tell these kids what to do that there opion dont matter we teach these kid to have opions and to think in school and when it comes down to it there opions dont mean nothing what a joke are society has come to every kid that is fought over in court they should have a opion to where they want to live or if they should have medical treatment if these kids dont have a opion then they should quit teaching it in schools.
Vern

Saint Paul, MN

#8 May 8, 2009
It is a tremendous stretch of the laws of this country to presume neglect in this case. This is not neglect, it is a medical choice. The arrogance of doctor's and state officials scares the dicken's out of me. They continuously deny alternative medicine. Remember, without Native Americans we would not have Aspirin. I would be interested to learn details of what alternative treatments they are receiving. As a parent, I would certainly explore all options available, not just the AMA approved treatments. An educated decision requires an open mind, a foreign concept in the medical community.

If the parents lose this case, it proves all children belong to the state and we have no control of their lives anymore. We are only responsible for conception. Can you say lebensborn?
John D

United States

#9 May 8, 2009
Vern asked what alternative treatments they are using. They are using vitamins, fruit and vegetable diet, and ph balanced water. I wouldn't call that "treatment."

ALso, as far as the argument that people should be able to choose their children's fate and the government should stay out of it, I agree and the law agrees EXCEPT when that includes the fate of death. You wouldn't say its the parents "choice" to kill their children if thats what their religion tells them to do, so the argument holds no water in this case because the illness will kill him if not treated.
John Galt

Maple Grove, MN

#10 May 8, 2009
If "child protection workers" show up at your door, slam it shut, hide your kids, and call a good lawyer. No good can come from the state being involved in family.

Since: Jun 08

Saint Paul, MN

#11 May 8, 2009
John D wrote:
Vern asked what alternative treatments they are using. They are using vitamins, fruit and vegetable diet, and ph balanced water. I wouldn't call that "treatment."
ALso, as far as the argument that people should be able to choose their children's fate and the government should stay out of it, I agree and the law agrees EXCEPT when that includes the fate of death. You wouldn't say its the parents "choice" to kill their children if thats what their religion tells them to do, so the argument holds no water in this case because the illness will kill him if not treated.
Where are all the pro choice people? If a 13 year old can kill her unborn child without the parents consent, why can't a 13 year old boy decide on the medical treatment he should receive with the help of his parents. Double standard?

Saying this -

As for me, a 4 year survivor of non Hodgkin's lymphoma, I would suggest using chemo as the means of treatment. So far it has worked for me.
Tom Turkey

Saint Paul, MN

#12 May 8, 2009
The doctor has a responsibility to save a life. The kid is 13 and legally can't decide that for himself until he is 18 years old. If the parents refuse treatment the state absolutely has the right to step in. If this kid dies its pre-meditated murder and they should be held accountable.

At the very least get the kid away from the brain washings of his parents for a period of time, then let him decide.

“We're all connected”

St Paul, MN

#13 May 8, 2009
I am SO angry about this. This kid has a chance of beating cancer at a rate higher than most people and would gladly trade places with them in a heartbeat. Did the family expect that it was going to be a PICNIC to go through chemotherapy? Did the family explore alternative healing WITH chemotherapy? Did the family consider group therapy, help supports, online communities, etc? I'm a volunteer in the 4th angel program and there are SO many resources out there to help patients, survivors, and their families get through very difficult times.

I'm beyond frustrated to hear about this. While I very much understand (firsthand!!!) how difficult it is for a mother to watch their child be this sick, it's also the moral and LEGAL duty of the parents to make sure their child gets the treatment they need.

Please, mother of this dear child, you have a choice. Do not choose a death sentence for your child. He will make it through chemo, and live a long, healthy life, if you choose it for him. He will get better, and soon forget the memories of chemotherapy. Let him be an example of your family's strength, and have him be a positive example for other children in the same situation. Don't let him be a sad memory.

“We're all connected”

St Paul, MN

#14 May 8, 2009
TiVo Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Just like you're expected to do the same with a child that refuses to go to school and has a truancy problem. If the kid doesn't go to school, the parents are charged.
Minors have no rights when it comes to making decisions regarding their welfare. That is the parents' job.
Chemo and radiation do make people sick. It's how it works, unfortunately. But, if my kid had a curable form of cancer (and not terminal) then I would be banging down the door of any oncologist I could get to treat my child. The sickness is temporary. There's a chance for a full life. Death is permanent.
Right on. As a survivor of a similar type of cancer (blood-Leukemia, and also one that's almost equally as treatable), I cannot imagine this life-saving opportunity to be thrown away. It actually physically pains me to think about it.

The family has NO idea what sort of decision they're making and why. They truly think the "alternatives" they're giving him is going to cure his cancer. My heart will break if he dies from a curable cancer.

“We're all connected”

St Paul, MN

#15 May 8, 2009
Vern wrote:
It is a tremendous stretch of the laws of this country to presume neglect in this case. This is not neglect, it is a medical choice. The arrogance of doctor's and state officials scares the dicken's out of me. They continuously deny alternative medicine. Remember, without Native Americans we would not have Aspirin. I would be interested to learn details of what alternative treatments they are receiving. As a parent, I would certainly explore all options available, not just the AMA approved treatments. An educated decision requires an open mind, a foreign concept in the medical community.
If the parents lose this case, it proves all children belong to the state and we have no control of their lives anymore. We are only responsible for conception. Can you say lebensborn?
Vern, I was hospitalized on October 20th 2006 with a somewhat similar type of cancer, Leukemia (both blood cancers). The following Monday, I was given alternative healing right away. Massage, healing touch, etc. I had access to some of the greatest alternative healers I've ever met, and I feel very fortunate for it. This was at United Hospital, near downtown St Paul. I wept with gratitude for how they helped me. At the time, I didn't know how sick I was, so I kept on asking, "why do I get this 'special' treatment?" These therapists were for soon-to-be moms who were hospitalized on bedrest, about to give birth, and to cancer patients. United Hospital already realized the benefit of alternative healing with traditional medicine.

Please don't assume that traditional medicine has been separate from alternative healing. If one were to check their health insurance benefits, they may be surprised how many options there are!

“We're all connected”

St Paul, MN

#16 May 8, 2009
John D wrote:
I forget when this was, or even where in the US, but I remember parents refusing to give their child insulin for Type 1 diabetes, saying it was against their religion. Their child died, because their parents withheld a rather typical medicine. I hoped to never hear of such a similar situation (false hope) but this issue is too dear to my heart to not speak up about.

“We're all connected”

St Paul, MN

#17 May 8, 2009
Thomas F Schraad wrote:
<quoted text>
Where are all the pro choice people? If a 13 year old can kill her unborn child without the parents consent, why can't a 13 year old boy decide on the medical treatment he should receive with the help of his parents. Double standard?
Saying this -
As for me, a 4 year survivor of non Hodgkin's lymphoma, I would suggest using chemo as the means of treatment. So far it has worked for me.
Not the time or the place for this discussion. You and I have different definitions of "a child" and we're talking about a 13 year-old who's been brainwashed to think that chemo is evil.

Do you support that? Do you support his right? Do you support his parent's perspective?

I'm happy you chose chemotherapy. I didn't feel that I had a choice: die within 3 months or go through chemo and live a (hopefully) long and healthy life.

Since: Apr 09

Rochester, MN

#18 May 8, 2009
Thomas F Schraad wrote:
<quoted text>
Saying this -
This clown is why Texas had a "needed killin'" law.
Hardhead

Richton Park, IL

#19 May 8, 2009
Vern wrote:
Remember, without Native Americans we would not have Aspirin. I would be interested to learn details of what alternative treatments they are receiving.
Sorry Vern, you are 100% wrong. Aspirin (acetalsalisylic acid) was actually discovered and patented by Bayer, a German corporation. Native Americans were chewing willow branches as a relief for headaches, but the active ingrediant is related to, not identical to the active ingredian in aspirin. Incidentally aspirin was a trademark just like Tylenol, before it became the common name for (acetal etc.) As to alternative medicine, it is called alternative because it is NOT MEDICINE, it doesn't cure anything.
Brighella

United States

#20 May 9, 2009
Death is not the worst thing that can happen to a person. Everyone has the right to refuse treatment, and frankly, if that kid thinks that the chemo will do him more harm than good, than thats the way it will be. No doctor will convince him of that, and certainly no court will. Apparently not a popular position, but as a health care provider, I find it sad that the doctors are so stuck on their own agenda that they cannot reconcile themselves to the families' goals of care. Its not up to the doctors, all they can do is present risks, benefits and alternatives, and its up to the family to decide.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sleepy Eye Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MN Who do you support for Governor in Minnesota in... (Oct '10) Aug 2 Go Blue Forever 848
Know Your Enemy: Minnesota (Sep '13) Jul '14 Sneaky Pete 3
St. Paul archbishop, accused of touching boy, w... Mar '14 tom 1
ILPEA Industries??? (Feb '14) Feb '14 someone 1
Gary Anderson (Jan '13) Feb '14 Nancy 2
Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jan '14 DutchQ 11
How do you know when your child is ready to sta... (May '09) Sep '13 Leonardo 42
•••
•••
Sleepy Eye Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Sleepy Eye Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Sleepy Eye People Search