Cancer-stricken Minnesota teen, mother return home on their own

Full story: TwinCities.com

Video courtesy Asgaard Media The weeklong search for Daniel Hauser - the 13-year-old refusing court-ordered chemotherapy - came to an end Monday when Brown County authorities announced he and his mother were back in Minnesota.
Comments
1 - 20 of 156 Comments Last updated May 30, 2009
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Since: Apr 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Judged:

I am really glad Daniel and his mother are back. Daniel, I hope they can come up with a way to help you with the pain you're suffering with this disease and/or if you suffer any pain from the treatment. It is actually possible for your mind to imagine the pain away when you need some rest from it. I've done that myself. It's not easy, but I think there are people out there who can help you with that. In my case, I imagined my pain was a banana and with each peel of the banana coming down I imagined a portion of my pain going away until it was gone completely - at least long enough for me to sleep to get some badly needed rest. It's difficult, but it can be done. In the meantime, I will pray for you and wish you the smoothest recovery possible.
Reality

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Judged:

And why isn't this b**ch in jail?
Newday

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Judged:

Land of the Free, home of the brave? Why the hell can't the "authorities" leave these people alone to decide the method of treating this young man? Medical doctors ARE NOT always right. State warrant? Federal warrant? Was someone's ego bruised because the state's medical community couldn't gouge these people for a new lake home or matching Mercedes? Once again, follow the money.

“Obamacs at it's finest!”

Since: Mar 09

Anytown, Minnesota........

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Judged:

what a disgusting excuse for a mother. Watching the news yesterday you could tell she was getting off on all the attention she was getting, how sick. She was just smiling and acting like a friggin celebrity...and this Brown Cty. Sherriff, what a clown this guy is....he couldn't even read the press release correctly yesterday and then to let this scum mother off with no chargges, apparantly, this is all just a joke to her as well as a chance to get some attention.....I jus thope her son gets the treatment he needs and the mother, well it would be nice if she just went away, afterall she has now had her 15 mintues worth, just go home and take care of your other kids and leave the media for someone else to deal with....
Buttomfly

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Judged:

I hope this kid survives. But in reality, it may not happen. I will be curious to see where all the posters stand if he does not. If after all the toxic treatments they put him through and in a few years he succumbs to the cancer let's see who steps forward to take the blame for all the pain. If the cancer was 90% curable as the doctors are claiming, there are alternatives to keeping his body health and his immune system strong to weather the treatments. Those are the things they never talk about. Those things don't make them any money, and the drug companies don't sell as many expensive cancer treatments. Some of you are right, ultimately its about the money. The billions that are spent on these drugs. What is the survival rate overall with chemo? I don't know that they want to keep accurate records of that.
wnr

Ridgewood, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Judged:

"What is the survival rate overall with chemo? I don't know that they want to keep accurate records of that."

Depends on the type of cancer and type of treatment. For this particular type of cancer, the rate is 90% with standard treatment and about 5% without.

They do keep extensive records in medical journals which are available to the public (though they are technically difficult for the layman to interpret). These drugs are generally not adopted unless they can demonstrate evidence of effectiveness to the scientific community. Drug companies make alot of money because (for the most part) the drugs have a net positive effect. Look back 10 or 20 years and the survival rates for Hodgkin's were no where near 90%.

And yeah, this kid may not survive no matter what is done, but is it really the fault of the doctors who are pushing to give him the highest chance of survival? If you knew that without treatment, survival drops from 90% to 5%, ethically, wouldn't you fight to get the kid treated?
Twin Cities

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Judged:

this is all just a joke to her as well as a chance to get some attention........

And how many of your kids have cancer? Until you are in this womans position I don't think you have any right to judge her. It's one thing to hear the C word but, when it's your child it hits hard. I would do the same thing if I was in her position. I suggest that you go in for a couple of rounds of chemo and then come back her and open your mouth!
middleofroad

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Judged:

This couple proves not everyone should be allowed to have kids.
reality check

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Judged:

I'm happy the boy is back home, hopefully getting treatment as we speak. I just hope it's not too late for him.

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Judged:

Reality wrote:
And why isn't this b**ch in jail?
I'd like to know what law she broke!

“Wher's dem turkey necks?”

Since: Dec 08

Palm Desert, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Judged:

Newday wrote:
Land of the Free, home of the brave? Why the hell can't the "authorities" leave these people alone to decide the method of treating this young man? Medical doctors ARE NOT always right. State warrant? Federal warrant? Was someone's ego bruised because the state's medical community couldn't gouge these people for a new lake home or matching Mercedes? Once again, follow the money.
Apparently in your narrow little world, child protection laws do not exist. In the rest of the United States they are written in every states statutes. Duh!

“Wher's dem turkey necks?”

Since: Dec 08

Palm Desert, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Judged:

Buttomfly wrote:
I hope this kid survives. But in reality, it may not happen.
I hope he makes it too, but as I understand it, his first and only treatment was in February. Since that time the tumor has grown unabated. So because of the deluded thinking by the parents and the delay, they may have actually, and this is harsh to say, greatly reduced his chance of survival by their poor decisions.
Steve from Wyoming

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Judged:

I'd like to know what religion allows one chemo treatment but not 2 or 6. It didn't seem to become a religious issue until AFTER he his discomfort with the first one. She was ordered to appear before a judge; she didn't. The warrant was for her arrest for failure to appear. Now, failure to hold her accountable for her actions - and wasting taxpayer's money - is just as criminal.

Since: Mar 09

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Judged:

Call Geraldo.
Incredible

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Judged:

I really wonder who is pulling the strings in this story. Private jet? Coordinated marketing campaign with slick videos? Something smells like burning hemp...
Incredible

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Judged:

Former Ranger wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd like to know what law she broke!
Kidnapping, child endangerment, contempt of court...that is 3 I can think of right off the bat. Throw her in jail, put the kid with a foster family, and stop giving these nutjobs camera time!
Latina Mom

Slayton, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Judged:

I am very disappointed that Daniel and his mother have returned. I think they were not aware of how many people actually supported them. I live about 50 miles from the Hausers and I have been in the homeschooler's e-mail loop, everyone of us in that group knew what was going on before it ever became public knowledge and when they decided to flee many of us supported them in their decision. She could have stayed right here in MN and been in underground protection. It was poor planning that she ended up returning here and a big waste of time to leave if you're just going to turn around and throw in the towel on your beliefs. I think she caved-in to public pressure, I think this entire story has been too publicized and I think she really enjoyed the attention. It's to bad that an issue this big, the right to choose medical treatment, had to be flubbed up by such a wishy washy woman. She's lost a lot of support now.
Tired of it all

South Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Judged:

I am so tired of hearing this story. I hope it drops from the news now.

News folks give it up. Find some other story.

Since: Jan 09

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Judged:

So let me get this straight... the courts can tell a white couple that they have to put their kid through painful chemo even though they object based on their religious beliefs, but the courts can't force Muslim/Hindu/whatever parents to get their school-age kids vaccinated because they say it is against their religious beliefs?
Kimmy

Belleview, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Judged:

Incredible wrote:
<quoted text>
Kidnapping, child endangerment, contempt of court...that is 3 I can think of right off the bat. Throw her in jail, put the kid with a foster family, and stop giving these nutjobs camera time!
For 1 you can not kidnap your own child you gave birth to!

for 2 that child was never in danger as she was seeking other medical means so grow up and get out of that families business!

for 3 she isn't in contempt because she brought the child back so all charges was dropped!

Now this is not about you or anyone in your family, that little boy is no more "retarded" then you or i or anyone else on this forum he did and interview and seemed like a normal 13 year old boy except the fact he has cancer it was his choice not his moms to not have the cancer he said it himself. his mom brought him back and told him he had to face this and be strong, she didn't have to bring him back she had the funds through donations to stay far away but she isn't the horrible person you try to make her out to be!

Also she is getting her son back today in court the boy will be living with her and her husband and other children so this really has no more need in the news or in the topix forums

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Sleepy Eye Discussions

Search the Sleepy Eye Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Know Your Enemy: Minnesota (Sep '13) Jul 21 Sneaky Pete 3
MN Who do you support for Governor in Minnesota in... (Oct '10) Jun '14 doomsayer2014 847
St. Paul archbishop, accused of touching boy, w... Mar '14 tom 1
ILPEA Industries??? Feb '14 someone 1
Gary Anderson (Jan '13) Feb '14 Nancy 2
Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jan '14 DutchQ 11
How do you know when your child is ready to sta... (May '09) Sep '13 Leonardo 42
•••
•••
•••
Sleepy Eye Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Sleepy Eye Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••