Search for boy with cancer and his mo...

Search for boy with cancer and his mother turns to Mexico

There are 148 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 20, 2009, titled Search for boy with cancer and his mother turns to Mexico. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

This text is replaced by the Flash movie. A national search for Daniel Hauser, the 13-year-old Minnesota boy refusing chemotherapy for his cancer, centered on Southern California on Wednesday evening after authorities received word that he and his mother might seek alternative treatment in Mexico.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

“whatalongstrange tripitsbeen ”

Since: Feb 08

Minneapolis

#149 May 21, 2009
this is a tricky one to choose sides on....i gotta admit. In my gut I feel that the kid is being made to believe that HERBS can cure him. Parents have such influence on kids beliefs. If the kid cannot even read, I highly(and I mean HIGHTLY; if you know what I mean) doubt he has the wherewith all to decide his life or death, so the state needs to interviene. His mom is obviously off her meds and cannot be trusted to make the best decision. I just hope we pass the medical marijuana bill so this kid can get some dope to smoke and get turned on..Rock and Roll. Long live Jerry Garcia
full of it

Stillwater, MN

#150 May 22, 2009
Constitution wrote:
<quoted text>I did not ask for exacts, only that you admit that you made up your statistics. How can you guarantee that your odds are close to the true stats? Another made up answer.
Are you just trying to bully me so you get the last word? Have the last word! I can with certainty guarentee you my stats are pretty close because THINK ABOUT IT. If holistics truely cured cancer- don't you think we would be using these methods more frequently and stop using the chemo? Common sense. Some people are just born with it. It your case, you just weren't. That sucks for you.
Buttomfly

Madison, WI

#151 May 22, 2009
So they bring them back, put him through all the painful sickening treatments, kill his immune system with the drugs and give him what may be no more than a few more years? What then? If he dies after all that, the physicians will stand back and say there are never any guarantees. They cannot predict whether they can eradicate all the cancer or just put it into remission for awhile. Who is the loser in all this? Danny of course. I am a mom too, I cannot fault her for what she is trying to do. You put your trust in the medical community and it doesn't always work out well. As many of the lawsuits will attest. The government needs to go after the real child abusers of which there are plenty. I am not happy with my tax dollars being spent paying all the state and federal officials running around trying to track this family and force them to submit to something that may or may not save this kids life.
Mike

Minneapolis, MN

#152 May 22, 2009
It would be different if the boy had any true understanding of what is going on. But he can't even read. The judge recognized that there could be no real informed consent. A 13 year old that can't read? Give me a break, it's people like this that give home schoolers a bad name. All 7 of those kids should be removed from that house. The parents are kooks.
full of it

Stillwater, MN

#153 May 22, 2009
Buttomfly wrote:
So they bring them back, put him through all the painful sickening treatments, kill his immune system with the drugs and give him what may be no more than a few more years? What then? If he dies after all that, the physicians will stand back and say there are never any guarantees. They cannot predict whether they can eradicate all the cancer or just put it into remission for awhile. Who is the loser in all this? Danny of course. I am a mom too, I cannot fault her for what she is trying to do. You put your trust in the medical community and it doesn't always work out well. As many of the lawsuits will attest. The government needs to go after the real child abusers of which there are plenty. I am not happy with my tax dollars being spent paying all the state and federal officials running around trying to track this family and force them to submit to something that may or may not save this kids life.
You wouldn't even give your child the chance to live though? Why not try? It is straight up abuse not to try. People like you make me sick. Why would you not try to save your childs life? That is the most proven method to surviving cancer. And you wouldn't do it? What is wrong with you? That's like saying,"yeah, my kid has strep throat, but we think they are only guessing that antibiotics work, so we are just going to trust that it will erradicate itself." Duh. no brainer.

“Wher's dem turkey necks?”

Since: Dec 08

Palm Desert, CA

#154 May 22, 2009
Buttomfly wrote:
Please Read:

"When it comes to alternative medicine versus Western medicine, there are some cases that should lean in one direction and some that should lean in the other," said Dr. Bill Manahan, a professor emeritus at the University of Minnesota Medical School and past president of the American Holistic Medical Association.

Manahan said it's hard to argue with chemo's success rate in curing Hodgkin's lymphoma in children.

"In this case, I personally think it's not much of a question and I agree with the judge's ruling," he said. "There are cancers in adults where there's genuinely room to debate the effectiveness of chemotherapy."

I think the professor is 100% correct.
Daniel

Austin, TX

#155 May 25, 2009
This is the sickest debasement principles I have ever seen in this country. Are we really that far gone down the no liberty hole that parents can't make decisions for their own children?!! Alternative therapies CURE the "IN-CURABLE". Chemotherapy is a multi-billion dollar industry that some people get filthy rich off of. If you ask me, that is what's at work here -- the challenging our big-money medical establishment. Read about alternatives to chemotherapy your self and then make the decision for yourself when you get cancer but the BOTTOM LINE: No Government gets to tell anyone's family how to make life and death decisions! If they are found and some clueless people rip this child away from his family, strap him to a chair and pump him full of chemicals (chemo) and his life still isn't saved, it will be very sad indeed.
Free country?

“We're all connected”

Since: Feb 08

St Paul, MN

#156 May 26, 2009
Daniel wrote:
This is the sickest debasement principles I have ever seen in this country. Are we really that far gone down the no liberty hole that parents can't make decisions for their own children?!! Alternative therapies CURE the "IN-CURABLE". Chemotherapy is a multi-billion dollar industry that some people get filthy rich off of. If you ask me, that is what's at work here -- the challenging our big-money medical establishment. Read about alternatives to chemotherapy your self and then make the decision for yourself when you get cancer but the BOTTOM LINE: No Government gets to tell anyone's family how to make life and death decisions! If they are found and some clueless people rip this child away from his family, strap him to a chair and pump him full of chemicals (chemo) and his life still isn't saved, it will be very sad indeed.
Free country?
In this case, the parents can't make the right decision. His cancer is curable. There are no proven alternatives for his type of cancer.

He knows nothing about the "big money cancer establishment." He knows little about his own cancer and about chemotherapy. He should have been told the side effects of chemo, yet his mom, in yesterday's interview, made it sound like she's describing the symptoms and not hearing about them previously.

The family is willfully ignorant about the cancer and the treatment. That's why the judge ruled that the parents have been medically negligent.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sleepy Eye Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Eagles Extravaganza Apr '16 Windy Leaf 1
new ulm man accused of molesting and rapeing yo... Feb '16 steve lesley 1
New Ulm Man Accused of Molesting, Raping Young ... Feb '16 Steven Lesley I SPY 1
News New Ulm Chief Charged In Domestic Assault (Aug '15) Aug '15 Christaliban 2
News Human remains found beside I-90 near Albert Lea (Apr '15) Apr '15 tbenj 1
News Extraditing Victor Barnard from Brazil could ta... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Jeff Sjolander 1
Heritagefest 2005 help needed! (Feb '15) Feb '15 ThatguyfromStPaul 1

Sleepy Eye Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sleepy Eye Mortgages