Search for boy with cancer and his mo...

Search for boy with cancer and his mother turns to Mexico

There are 148 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 20, 2009, titled Search for boy with cancer and his mother turns to Mexico. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

This text is replaced by the Flash movie. A national search for Daniel Hauser, the 13-year-old Minnesota boy refusing chemotherapy for his cancer, centered on Southern California on Wednesday evening after authorities received word that he and his mother might seek alternative treatment in Mexico.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Parker Hughes

Minneapolis, MN

#1 May 21, 2009
When Colleen Hauser is found, she should be slapped in the face about 80 or 90 times.
Tybalt

Saint Paul, MN

#2 May 21, 2009
leave these people alone
sandra

Spring Grove, IL

#3 May 21, 2009
Leave them alone? They are killing their child. A child should not have full say in his treatment plan. It should be up to the adults to protect him. Remember the other story, he cannot even read. At 13 he is incapable of making this adult decision.

Remember when some parents wanted to feed their newborn a formula of some strange organic concoction and he started losing weight. I don't remember if he died. But hay it should be a family decision, huh? No when parents are neglectful to the point of causing death then we should step in and protect them.

Since: Jul 08

Brooklyn Park

#6 May 21, 2009
Why has this turned into a battle of wills? Let them run, and return when they realize that chemo is the last option. It won't be long. Turning them into fugitives is only going to make it harder. Turn out the lights and let them come back when they are ready. Right now they are probably worried about coming back to a hail of gunfire.
Real

Saint Paul, MN

#8 May 21, 2009
Who cares.
gczech

Delano, MN

#9 May 21, 2009
Run Dan Run - Not all doctors are the experts and they should encourage other options, not play god. I recently loss someone to cancer and let me tell you, the treatments, not the tumor, that killed him. I know that for myself if I was ever diagnosed, I would refuse treatment and let nature takes its course.

Since: Apr 09

Minneapolis, MN

#11 May 21, 2009
Ron Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical liberal. You resort to calling people names when you don't like their point of view.
Or how about this?
The people who support the governments restrictions to make medical decisions for their child based through a self induced mental disorder and belief system that is destructive, barbaric and insane should be exposed for the fools they are.
Is "Typical Liberal" NOT name-calling?
Suburban white boy

Saint Paul, MN

#12 May 21, 2009
It would appear that both the boy and his mother are sick. How sad.
Margie Gunderson

Azusa, CA

#13 May 21, 2009
Pardon me but what does political name-calling have to do with a seriously confused woman on the run with her seriously ill son? You want to politicize this tragedy? Go ahead. But that, my friends, is what is wrong with this country.
Enough

United States

#14 May 21, 2009
God bless this family for what they are going through. I can only imagine the pressures.
They are living their religious convictions and in one regard are heros. That said, are they sacaraficing their naive son? I'm glad the choice is not mine.
Compassion should come from knowing that what they are doing is not from a desire to lose or abuse their son, but from belief that a higher power will give them a path.

“Just dance.........”

Since: Jan 09

East Side

#15 May 21, 2009
The first time i commented on this story i said i was wondering if the judge rules that the boy is to get chemo, how do they "force" him if he refuses it.
People judged me as clueless & didn't agree. This is exactly what i was talking about.
Mr Secant

Saint Paul, MN

#16 May 21, 2009
Ron Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical liberal. You resort to calling people names when you don't like their point of view.
Or how about this?
The people who support the governments restrictions to make medical decisions for their child based through a self induced mental disorder and belief system that is destructive, barbaric and insane should be exposed for the fools they are.
Your support for this is no different then the advocates who promoted the Kool Aid massacre that was used by the Jone's Town goofballs and their mass suicide. You are nuts and that is said in kind!

Since: Apr 09

Minneapolis, MN

#17 May 21, 2009
LadieGaGa wrote:
The first time i commented on this story i said i was wondering if the judge rules that the boy is to get chemo, how do they "force" him if he refuses it.
People judged me as clueless & didn't agree. This is exactly what i was talking about.
As a kid, I recall being held down for many a shot I didn't want as a kid. It took six nurses to hold me down, but I ended up getting that shot anyway. Granted, that was a long time ago, but less then a year ago I had to hold my granddaughter still while she got a shot.

“Jaywalking”

Since: Oct 08

Minneapolis, MN

#18 May 21, 2009
Parker Hughes wrote:
When Colleen Hauser is found, she should be slapped in the face about 80 or 90 times.
She should be charged with reckless endangerment of a child.

She should also be charged with homicide when the kid dies.
Odd

Clinton, NJ

#19 May 21, 2009
Why wasn't it against their beliefs to do the first round of chemo??
smartie

Saint Paul, MN

#20 May 21, 2009
You can't get into Mexico without a U.S. Passport.
Brown County would have never issued passports to
this mom and son, fully knowing the decree the judge handed down to the family.
Incredible

Saint Paul, MN

#21 May 21, 2009
Let him die. Darwin's theory proven correct again...
pheneviox

United States

#22 May 21, 2009
what right does anyone have to force a treatment
of chemotherapy on anyone, whatever happened to
freedom of choice and you know what," i dont give a damn if its in the son's interest or not",
it is in the interest of those who we must trust are making the right decision in the life of the one they care for, there son.
we are not involved,
and we have no right to be.
we must focus on our lives and make a difference in them.
why are we siding with a goverment that has lied to us over and over again on so many different accounts. the only reason why we care and side with the goverment is because they have created enough fear inside of us through the war on terror and the flu and so on... but yet the only war to be fought is the war between the lies. truth be told; the terror has won if we are as concerned as we are about this poor boy who just wants to find a different way then the goverment says to.

“We're all connected”

Since: Feb 08

St Paul, MN

#23 May 21, 2009
gczech wrote:
Run Dan Run - Not all doctors are the experts and they should encourage other options, not play god. I recently loss someone to cancer and let me tell you, the treatments, not the tumor, that killed him. I know that for myself if I was ever diagnosed, I would refuse treatment and let nature takes its course.
5 oncologists testified that the boy's recommended course of action is 6 rounds of chemotherapy followed by radiation.

Doctors make mistakes but this is a fairly cut-and-dry case, especially if the boy doesn't have any other underlying illnesses (that's when the medical outcome gets complicated!)

“We're all connected”

Since: Feb 08

St Paul, MN

#24 May 21, 2009
pheneviox wrote:
what right does anyone have to force a treatment
of chemotherapy on anyone, whatever happened to
freedom of choice and you know what," i dont give a damn if its in the son's interest or not",
it is in the interest of those who we must trust are making the right decision in the life of the one they care for, there son.
we are not involved,
and we have no right to be.
we must focus on our lives and make a difference in them.
why are we siding with a goverment that has lied to us over and over again on so many different accounts. the only reason why we care and side with the goverment is because they have created enough fear inside of us through the war on terror and the flu and so on... but yet the only war to be fought is the war between the lies. truth be told; the terror has won if we are as concerned as we are about this poor boy who just wants to find a different way then the goverment says to.
The judged ruled that the parents were negligent. Parents cannot do whatever to/with their children. I hope you support that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sleepy Eye Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Eagles Extravaganza Apr '16 Windy Leaf 1
new ulm man accused of molesting and rapeing yo... Feb '16 steve lesley 1
New Ulm Man Accused of Molesting, Raping Young ... Feb '16 Steven Lesley I SPY 1
News New Ulm Chief Charged In Domestic Assault (Aug '15) Aug '15 Christaliban 2
News Human remains found beside I-90 near Albert Lea (Apr '15) Apr '15 tbenj 1
News Extraditing Victor Barnard from Brazil could ta... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Jeff Sjolander 1
Heritagefest 2005 help needed! (Feb '15) Feb '15 ThatguyfromStPaul 1

Sleepy Eye Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sleepy Eye Mortgages