Sleepy Eye family in chemo controvers...

Sleepy Eye family in chemo controversy awaits judge's ruling

There are 31 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 14, 2009, titled Sleepy Eye family in chemo controversy awaits judge's ruling. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

The Sleepy Eye family awaiting word on whether a judge will let their 13-year-old son refuse chemotherapy treatment for cancer said they're a normal family who just want their beliefs respected.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Hockey Bob

Saint Paul, MN

#1 May 14, 2009
What is this? As if we needed any more proof that religion makes you stupid...
Just me

Phoenix, AZ

#2 May 14, 2009
Selfish, selfish parents!
robin

Minneapolis, MN

#3 May 14, 2009
their son will die a painful death thanks to his parent. Its murder!
Runner

Minneapolis, MN

#4 May 14, 2009
If they believed that praying to the cookie monster in the sky would save their son, would they demand that I respect that belief too?

Since: Jul 08

St. Paul

#5 May 14, 2009
It's a shame that a 13 year old child will be condemned to death because the chemo treatment isn't "natural" enough. How do the parents know that God didn't put that treatment here as part of his natural plan? I know as a father of three that I would give every penny I have and go through heaven and hell if it meant curing my sick child.
I actually work at work

Saint Paul, MN

#6 May 14, 2009
That's fine if the mother wants to only use natural remedies for herself.....but she should give her child a chance to live to an age where he can decide if conventional medicine or natural remedies are the way to go.

Very sad.
let them be

Minneapolis, MN

#7 May 14, 2009
This is insane that this is even an issue. With Chemotherapy statistically, you will die. It may prolong your life but statistically you will die. I happen to know of lots of alternative treatments including that of treating cancer that have a 99% success rate. Two time Nobel Prize winner Linus Pualing says, "You can trace every sickness, every disease and every ailment to a mineral deficiency". Therefore, if you replenish the body naturally you can combat it. But the FDA is only allowed to make any claims. Claims that state that only FDA approved drugs can cure anything. I hope the judge is smart and let's them be. If not, I would pack my family up and leave the country...fast. Shame on our country.
SICK

Minneapolis, MN

#8 May 14, 2009
I believe that that's a form of child abuse and the son and their other children should be taken away immediately! This mother is selfish, ignorant and plain stupid. She'd rather rely in the "internet" for sources instead of medical scientific proof that her son will be healed and will survive. See, that's why I think ALL religious freaks are freaks! Hopefully the judge will be smart enough to side with the doctors and take this boy away. I hate to say it, but I hope the mother gets cancer one day and see if she'll go with the same route she wants her son to go!
Annie

Minneapolis, MN

#9 May 14, 2009
Sickening.
Freemantle

Stillwater, MN

#10 May 14, 2009
let them be,

Why not change your name to misinformed.
His type of cancer is curable. 99% success rate of treating cancer. Hogwash.
Patient Advocate

Saint Paul, MN

#11 May 14, 2009
This one is hard.
First and foremost, this boy NEEDS the appropriate treatment for his disease - chemotherapy delivered by a qualified doctor (a pediatric oncologist like Dr. Bostrom that testified at his trial).
As a pediatrician who spends my career often fighting for the family's voice during terapeutic controversies, this one is relatively easy. He needs the chemo, with a very good chance of success. This is not a novel therapy, with a small chance of success and high chance of morbidity (for example, Bone Marrow Transplant for a fatal metabolic disease), nor is it dangerous therapy for a benign disease (invasive surgery for an ear ifnection). This is proven therapy (>80% on the UMN published website) for a fatal disease. Although the family's spiritual and cultural beliefs should be listened to and respected where appropriate, it should NOT supercede treatment for a 13yo child. This boy does NOT have the mental faculty, maturity, or developmental skills to make this decision. It is medical negelct to NOT provide this therapy. If the parents or "let them be" want to give him viotamins and minerals in the meantime, go ahead! As long as they don't interfere with the chemotherapy that WILL SAVE HIS LIFE.
As a further point (to continue to flog the horse), what if this were a fatal infection? Say, bacterial meningitis? Is it OK to withhold antibiotics because the parents don't think they're natural? No, it is not. We must not confuse patient/family rights to make informed therapeutic decisions with sound medical practice. Although it is true, that families may forego treatment options that have no impact on cure or changing the underlying diagnosis (G-tube in a progressive neurological decline, for example), this is (again) a proven treatment for a fatal disease with a high likelihood of success.
This family would benefit from learning how to integrate their beliefs with science.
And, in closing, the point of people refusing medical therapies based on religious beliefs, I would posit: Don't you believe your "creator" inspired doctors, scientists, and pharmacists? Aren't their work and accomplishments "natural"? And, chemo drugs have their basis in nature - vincristine (common chemo agent) is taken from nature, found in certain "teas" that have proven effective by some medicine men at combatting local cancers in Africa. Isn't that natural?
And, although Linus Pauling is brilliant, he's a physicist, not a doctor. Love Einstein, but would rather have an MD treat my arthritis.

I hope the boy receives the help he needs. And I hope the family is able to sit with him on his 50th birthday and talk about those nasty doctors and that overbearing judge that MADE him take chemo 37 years ago...
let them be

Minneapolis, MN

#12 May 14, 2009
for those of you are saying he is going to survive if he gets chemo, how do you know this? Because you've been told. Please people stop being sheeple and do the research on what is really out there.

Please read and argue accordingly.

http://www.naturalnews.com/023689.html
John T

Saint Paul, MN

#13 May 14, 2009
Forcing a family to perform a medicial procedure should not even be an option. What are we, China? I don't care what their beliefs are, NO ONE SHOULD BE FORCED INTO A MEDICAL TREATMENT THEY DON'T WANT. His parents are his legal guardians and have spoken for him. END OF STORY.
Patient Advocate

Saint Paul, MN

#14 May 14, 2009
let them be wrote:
for those of you are saying he is going to survive if he gets chemo, how do you know this? Because you've been told. Please people stop being sheeple and do the research on what is really out there.
Please read and argue accordingly.
http://www.naturalnews.com/023689.html
OK, I promise, this will not become a flame war, and I will not be continuing the thread after this, but I do feel compelled to reply to "let them be". And no, I will not discuss the journalistic or scientifice merits of " naturalnews.com ", but rather the response about being "told" to and being accused of being a "sheeple" (sherson?).
Chemo sucks. It makes children irritable, nauseated, and feel like all over crap. It has risks (neutropenia, opportunistic infection), and it has benefits (not dying from a curable cancer). Children and families benefit from counselling before and during the chemo to work on coping mechanisms and strategies. It would be great id there was a way to cure cancer other than chemo (and no, "let them be" vitamins and minerals aren't the cure, please do not presume to go there), and hopefully some day we'll be more adept at designing anti-cancer antibiotics, gene-directed therapy, and more selective chemo agents. Until then, do the right thing and CURE this boys FATAL DISEASE.
Please do not presume that I do not know how it works, nor that I haven't seen it in action. I've had more biochemistry, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, pharmacology,(and physics), ethics, legal and medical training than you. I respect your right to your opinion, but cannot tolerate pseudo-scientific garbage and feel good naturalism when a CHILD'S LIFE IS AT STAKE.

over and out.
Patient Advocate

Saint Paul, MN

#15 May 14, 2009
John T wrote:
Forcing a family to perform a medicial procedure should not even be an option. What are we, China? I don't care what their beliefs are, NO ONE SHOULD BE FORCED INTO A MEDICAL TREATMENT THEY DON'T WANT. His parents are his legal guardians and have spoken for him. END OF STORY.
Allowing a family to make a decision that results in their child's death is criminal. there is a difference betweena parent's right to choose and a child's right to live (and the courts have judged that if the parents cannot or will not act in the child's best interest, than the state (guardian ad litem) will.)
And I agree, no one WITH THE CAPACITY OT MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION should eb forced into a medical treatment they don't want. And no, despite how savvy a 13yo may be, they cannot make an informed decision on life and death.
WSP

Saint Paul, MN

#16 May 14, 2009
What kind of Catholic doesn't want to treat their child's illness? Not very Christian behavior!
Take Your Meds

Lakeville, MN

#17 May 14, 2009
I am glad this forum gives the mentally ill a chance to post there silly rants about letting childrent die. Comical.
let them be

Minneapolis, MN

#18 May 14, 2009
John T wrote:
Thank you John T. What's next forced vaccinations? Sounds like everyone will be willing. When our medical systems says "inject", everyone will say "sure how much?"
let them be

Minneapolis, MN

#19 May 14, 2009
Patient Advocate wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, I promise, this will not become a flame war, and I will not be continuing the thread after this, but I do feel compelled to reply to "let them be". And no, I will not discuss the journalistic or scientifice merits of " naturalnews.com ", but rather the response about being "told" to and being accused of being a "sheeple" (sherson?).
Chemo sucks. It makes children irritable, nauseated, and feel like all over crap. It has risks (neutropenia, opportunistic infection), and it has benefits (not dying from a curable cancer). Children and families benefit from counselling before and during the chemo to work on coping mechanisms and strategies. It would be great id there was a way to cure cancer other than chemo (and no, "let them be" vitamins and minerals aren't the cure, please do not presume to go there), and hopefully some day we'll be more adept at designing anti-cancer antibiotics, gene-directed therapy, and more selective chemo agents. Until then, do the right thing and CURE this boys FATAL DISEASE.
Please do not presume that I do not know how it works, nor that I haven't seen it in action. I've had more biochemistry, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, pharmacology,(and physics), ethics, legal and medical training than you. I respect your right to your opinion, but cannot tolerate pseudo-scientific garbage and feel good naturalism when a CHILD'S LIFE IS AT STAKE.
over and out.
Why wouldn't you discuss it. It is the main point right? Chemo is "the only answer". Can you honestly say that there is "no other effective cancer treatment" besides chemotherapy? Have you heard of the Gerson Institute 99% success rate of curing even late stages of cancer. People where sent there saying they would die and yes this live now cancer free
Kristin70

Eden Prairie, MN

#20 May 14, 2009
Patient Advocate:
Whether or not you are truly a physician, your thoughts and statements are well formed and eloquent. Thank you for your input.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sleepy Eye Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Corey Sass Aug '16 Wondering 1
Election Who do you support for State Senate in Minnesot... (Nov '10) Aug '16 matt 4
Brandon lesley Jul '16 Justpassingby 1
News Eagles Extravaganza (Apr '16) Apr '16 Windy Leaf 1
new ulm man accused of molesting and rapeing yo... (Feb '16) Feb '16 steve lesley 1
New Ulm Man Accused of Molesting, Raping Young ... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Steven Lesley I SPY 1
News Human remains found beside I-90 near Albert Lea (Apr '15) Apr '15 tbenj 1

Sleepy Eye Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sleepy Eye Mortgages