Royse City schools chief put on paid leave

A unanimous Royse City school board placed Superintendent Mike Harris on paid leave Monday while police investigate the disappearance of several hundred dollars' worth of gasoline from the district's stocks ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
my name is Earl

Cedar Hill, TX

#21 Jun 16, 2006
Michael wrote:
Anybody heard anything more on this story?
There seems to be no more news regarding this story. It appears the board and law enforcement are once again dragging their feet. Nothing seems to happening at this time. It must be nice to have a paid vacation at taxpayer expense.
Michael

Dallas, TX

#22 Jun 24, 2006
Wonder just how much money and benefits he is getting?
Mary Beth

Dallas, TX

#23 Jun 27, 2006
Well, I have decided that nobody is going to do anything about this man stealing from the district. He needs to resign if he cares about the district. He couldn't come back if they wanted him to. From now on he will be known as the guy who stole gas from the district. But you can bet he won't resign because he is getting paid to do nothing. It goes to show you that he doesn't care about Royse City. Never did.
Randy

Fresno, CA

#24 Jul 5, 2006
I have known & worked with Mr. Harris for over 10 years. He is one of the most honest people I've ever met... he would never steal anything. He is a quality individual; his highest concerns are public education & the welfare of the children in the system. It sounds like he made the wrong person mad (which a chief administrator often does). The comments posted here, screaming for his execution, are pathetic... let the man do his job!
my name is Earl

United States

#25 Jul 13, 2006
Randy wrote:
I have known & worked with Mr. Harris for over 10 years. He is one of the most honest people I've ever met... he would never steal anything. He is a quality individual; his highest concerns are public education & the welfare of the children in the system. It sounds like he made the wrong person mad (which a chief administrator often does). The comments posted here, screaming for his execution, are pathetic... let the man do his job!
Mr. Harris did not make anyone mad that would have anything to do with gas. You might want to check some of your statements to make sure they are completely true.
Jerry

Midlothian, TX

#26 Jul 14, 2006
Well Randy let's wait and see if the grand jury agrees with you. Obviously the prosecuting attorney thinks there is enough to take the case to the grand jury. Sometimes it is just hard to believe that someone you have known for 10 years, someone who is "Superintendent of the Year", would do something illegal. But you know, it happens all the time. And the rest of us walk around just not believing it.
Royse City Teacher

Atlanta, GA

#27 Jul 17, 2006
The teachers and staff at Royse City ISD want the truth like all of you. We have waited patiently as rumors swirl about the police having a video of Mr. Harris getting gas and then I hear they have a still photo that is dark and grainy showing a truck like his at the gas tank. Who knows the truth.
I personally want to give Mr. Harris the benefit of being innocent until proven guilty. First, if Mr. Harris stole the gas and He knows they have proof of it...why would he fight it? Second, if all they have is a grainy photo...then drop the case and let's move on. No matter what happens the fact remains that Royse City ISD is damaged. Mr. Harris is damaged. I believe even if he is proven innocent, he will likely resign once his name is cleared and I would not blame him for doing it.
I have also heard that he may have been set-up by one or more individuals in the district who were upset with him for hiring some of his "friends" to work in the district. And maybe that is why the police are taking so long investigating this case.
With the growth of the city and the school district, we are seeing a battle between the "old" school and the "new school". Meaning those who once were in power are seeing their powers disappear as new faces emerge in the district...and sometimes people do strange things when this happens.
Everyone is so quick to say "he's guilty" but none of us truly know the facts and evidence.
It does not make sense that a person making $125,000 a year plus $600 a month car allowance would risk all of that for a tank of gas!!!!
RC Teacher

Royse City Teacher

Atlanta, GA

#28 Jul 17, 2006
my name is Earl wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Harris did not make anyone mad that would have anything to do with gas. You might want to check some of your statements to make sure they are completely true.
He did make some people mad when he hired his old associates to work in the district. I don't have a problem with someone bringing in their own people as long as they hire them for a new, vacant position and they do not terminate or try to force them to resign so they can hire their own person. Harris has hired several quality people that we needed in the district to manage our many construction projects and to get our finances in order. But those old timers in the district - some got upset - as they were not considered for the positions.
Jerry

United States

#29 Jul 23, 2006
Well why did he bring in these new people when Royse City already had so many quality people? He just wanted to give his friends a job and paid them well to come. I say that he has lost his effectiveness in the district and should move on. But I bet he won't. He will sue and try to get as much money as he can from the district. Just wait and see. Does he really care that his actions will hurt the kids? Doubt it.
Michael

United States

#30 Jul 24, 2006
I think he got a little full of himself and didn't think a little gas mattered. It doesn't matter how much money you make, it is never enough. I don't think the district attorney would be taking this to the grand jury if there wasn't enough evidence to convict.
My Name is Earl

Euless, TX

#31 Jul 25, 2006
Royse City Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
He did make some people mad when he hired his old associates to work in the district. I don't have a problem with someone bringing in their own people as long as they hire them for a new, vacant position and they do not terminate or try to force them to resign so they can hire their own person. Harris has hired several quality people that we needed in the district to manage our many construction projects and to get our finances in order. But those old timers in the district - some got upset - as they were not considered for the positions.
If someone set up up as you suggest why did the police not find evidence of this in their investigation? Why did not Mr. Harris himself investigate the matter to see who set him up if he in fact was set up. I am not sure who would be in a position to set him up, but as Supt of the schools he should know who could set him up and he should have taken approiate action. I believe if had been set up the police and the board would not have let the case go all the way to the grand jury.
My Name is Earl

United States

#32 Jul 27, 2006
I noticed on the school web site the board is having a meeting today to determine the employment of the Superintendent. Maybe this situation will come to a head.
Michael

United States

#33 Jul 27, 2006
Has anyone heard what happened at that meeting? Surely they are not going to pay him off like the last one. But surely they are not going to keep him either.
suzie

United States

#34 Jul 28, 2006
Michael wrote:
Anybody heard anything more on this story?
looks like something is happening now
Red

Forney, TX

#35 Sep 15, 2006
Heard they had his hearing today. The hearing was his appeal against being terminated by the board. Seems the board had umpteen witnesses to the missing fuel. Sounds like also that the board knew exactly what they were doing. They handled it professionally, tried to keep the school and the kids out of the picture as much as they possibly could. A standing applause for a job well done by the Royse City School Board. Several people in Royse City were on hand to witness the open meeting. Pictures, fuel tickets, no explanations from the supe; how could they not have done what they did to protect the school. They even said it was not the gas, it was the trust they lost in the superintendent because he would not own up to taking the gas. The board tried to help the man keep his name clean, but in the end they stood by the district and the children. Congratulations again RCISD Board of Education, we are very proud we have you. Integrity, honesty and doing the right thing was the winner once again and that is how the board is trying to help run the school district.
EDF

United States

#36 Sep 18, 2006
I agree with Red, the board tried to help this man settle this situation so they could move on with the business of education. He refused to meet them half way thus they lost their confidence in his ability. I am glad all of this is finally coming out and the public will see the board handled this siutation as best as they could. The board has done a good job, it is time for Harris to move on and let the board continue with the job of educating our children.
My name is Earl

United States

#37 Sep 20, 2006
Well the hearing is now over and all of a sudden I do not see any comments from the Slaton people. Did they find out some things they did not want to know.
mike

Las Vegas, NV

#38 Apr 20, 2007
hi
mike

Las Vegas, NV

#39 Apr 20, 2007
your gay
John

Sand Point, AK

#40 Jul 13, 2007
Can you believe that Alamogordo Public Schools in New Mexico hired this guy this past May to be their superintendent. What a tragedy for Alamogordo. We should contact the Alamogordo Daily News. They may not know his history.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Slaton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 6 hr Fossilfarts 549
Review: Emma's (Apr '13) 6 hr Official Historian 6
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 15 hr Fossilfarts 749
Drake Routier - Darlie Routier's son (Sep '09) Nov 18 not the bill coll... 453
Parade of Homes kicks off Saturday Nov 18 maryjaneprincton 1
Sexy Girls In Lubbock (Sep '11) Nov 17 BigC69 5
Review: Texas AG Coop Trust Nov 17 Inez Gonzalez 1
Slaton Dating
Find my Match

Slaton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Slaton News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Slaton

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]