Young Leaders Cast a Wider Net for Immigration Reform

Dec 2, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: FiveThirtyEight

After a boisterous three-day congress here, more than 600 leaders of a national movement of young immigrants living in the country without legal papers voted to expand beyond their past demands for citizenship for young people, and to mobilize in support of a bill to legalize 11 million illegal immigrants in the United States.

Comments
21 - 25 of 25 Comments Last updated Dec 5, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Memo From Turner

Bellmore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Dec 5, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>If any were turned back, that was because the ship's doctors may have missed the malady. The United States government made the ship companies responsible for returning any unhealthy people back to their homelands, the ship companies had a doctors check passengers before they boarded. Hmm, imagine that. Who checks the people sneaking in? Have they even had any innoculations...EVER??? Further, their trip to this country took about forty days, but 40 days, but it could take as long as six months. So, it would seem that these folks were doubly checked...can't say the same for the illegals, now can we? Do you honestly think spending all that time in steerage was easy??? Besides which, they were facing the chance of treacherous storms, while some also became seriously ill and died.
What does the length of the boat trip have to do with anything? Do you think we should have different policies for people from the southern part of Mexico that had a longer trip to the border. How about people who travel by boat from Asia.

You said your family came though Ellis Island in the 1800's. Since vaccinations did not become widely available until the 1920 I have to ask if "they even had any inoculations...EVER???".

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Dec 5, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Well, Turner,in the late 1800's, when a smallpox epidemic erupted in the immigrant community, the samllpox vaccination became compulsory. Many immigrants readily took the shot without being compelled to do so, because they didn't want to hurt their chances for remaining here. So, I am sure that my people got theirs, as there is no record of any of them dying of an infectious disease, just old age. By the way, the smallpox vaccine was developed in the late 1700's. The children of illegals must have their shots before they can enter our schools, but many of their parents never had any...think about the diseases they are spreading when they handle our foodstuffs, or cough on a worker standing near by Better yet, don't, continue to act as though it could never happen. The problem is there are diseases on the rise, but you can continue to live in your bubble.
Memo From Turner

Bellmore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Dec 5, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

teddyr4me wrote:
Well, Turner,in the late 1800's, when a smallpox epidemic erupted in the immigrant community, the samllpox vaccination became compulsory. Many immigrants readily took the shot without being compelled to do so, because they didn't want to hurt their chances for remaining here. So, I am sure that my people got theirs, as there is no record of any of them dying of an infectious disease, just old age. By the way, the smallpox vaccine was developed in the late 1700's. The children of illegals must have their shots before they can enter our schools, but many of their parents never had any...think about the diseases they are spreading when they handle our foodstuffs, or cough on a worker standing near by Better yet, don't, continue to act as though it could never happen. The problem is there are diseases on the rise, but you can continue to live in your bubble.
Why is it that people on Topix always change the subject when they do not have an answer? You claimed your people were all fully vaccinated when they arrived more than a hundred years ago. I said vaccines were not widely available until the 1920's and then you hit Wikipedia and confirmed my post about vaccines not being widely available. Big deal. There was one vaccine available and your family may or may not have had it.

There are plenty of vaccinations available now. As you know, contrary to the popular Topix myth, free healthcare is Constitutionally guaranteed in Mexico. Including vaccines.

Who do you suppose is more likely to have had a vaccine? Somebody who has free access to all modern vaccines or somebody who lived in a time period when most were never invented.

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Dec 5, 2012
 
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it that people on Topix always change the subject when they do not have an answer? You claimed your people were all fully vaccinated when they arrived more than a hundred years ago. I said vaccines were not widely available until the 1920's and then you hit Wikipedia and confirmed my post about vaccines not being widely available. Big deal. There was one vaccine available and your family may or may not have had it.
There are plenty of vaccinations available now. As you know, contrary to the popular Topix myth, free healthcare is Constitutionally guaranteed in Mexico. Including vaccines.
Who do you suppose is more likely to have had a vaccine? Somebody who has free access to all modern vaccines or somebody who lived in a time period when most were never invented.
You are twisting my words. I never made that claim, however I did claim that many illegals are coming here without ever having had a health screening. I said that European immigrants actually were checked out twice. Once by the vessel's doctor and then again at Ellis.
http://www.ehow.com/list_6587841_illegal-immi...
Memo From Turner

Bellmore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Dec 5, 2012
 
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>You are twisting my words. I never made that claim, however I did claim that many illegals are coming here without ever having had a health screening. I said that European immigrants actually were checked out twice. Once by the vessel's doctor and then again at Ellis.
http://www.ehow.com/list_6587841_illegal-immi...
I do not think I am twisting your words. I just think you are overplaying, both the very cursory exams given at Ellis Island and the threat caused by illegal immigrants.

The article you posted mentioned several diseases that they are blaming on immigrants. I have seen this same list of diseases dozens of times on Topix and it is just silly.

First the article mentions tuberculosis. For some reason it does not mention that tuberculosis infections in the US are at the lowest levels ever recorded.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/22/us-...

It also mentions typhoid, but leaves out the part about there being only 400 cases per year in the US and that in 75% of cases the patient was traveling abroad when they contracted it.

http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/divisions/dfbmd/dis...

For some reason they mentioned smallpox even though it was declared eradicated in 1980. There are only two samples of the virus in existence. One is in a lab in the US and one is in a lab in Russia.

The rest is just as silly. Malaria is carried by mosquitoes, not landscapers.

As far as leprosy goes this must be an older article. Lou Dobbs was spreading this story until he got caught using 30 year old statistics. Since then I thought most people had stopped repeating it.

http://blogs.wsj.com/numbersguy/dobbs-report-...

There are many valid reasons to oppose illegal immigration, but this is not one of them.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Slate Hill Discussions

Search the Slate Hill Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 23 hr College Professor 6,391
Does anybody remmeber the Wild Cowboys era in W... (Oct '08) Aug 14 OSB 160 Boys 1,436
NY Who do you support for Comptroller in New York ... (Oct '10) Aug 9 JEWISH VOICE 438
NY Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in N... (Oct '10) Aug 7 dew4794 673
NY Who do you support for Attorney General in New ... (Oct '10) Aug 1 tbird Cat Controller 756
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) Aug 1 r u crazy 6,377
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Jul 23 Sham Hannuty 16,777
•••
•••

Slate Hill News Video

•••
Slate Hill Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Slate Hill Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Slate Hill People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Slate Hill News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Slate Hill
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••