Asheville-area children burned said t...

Asheville-area children burned said to be on the road to recovery

There are 25 comments on the The Asheville Citizen-Times story from Aug 9, 2010, titled Asheville-area children burned said to be on the road to recovery. In it, The Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Three children burned in a fire outside their home are expected to recover, their grandmother said Monday, although one will probably be hospitalized for weeks.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Aug 10

Sanford, NC

#1 Aug 10, 2010
wow.. talk about learning the hard way.. none the less.. Godspeed on recovery..

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#2 Aug 10, 2010
A 2 1/2 year old left without adult supervision near a fire with a readily available 5 gallons of fuel nearby and no charges are being filed?

What the hell do they consider negligent if not this disaster? days later and they don't know what the parents were doing inside? and the parents so engrossed in something they missed the explosion that set their kids on fire?????

Burns are the excruciating, no excuse in my book for leaving children this young unattended near a dam bon fire.
Msme from snip Candler

Asheville, NC

#3 Aug 10, 2010
MizMe wrote:
A 2 1/2 year old left without adult supervision near a fire with a readily available 5 gallons of fuel nearby and no charges are being filed?
What the hell do they consider negligent if not this disaster? days later and they don't know what the parents were doing inside? and the parents so engrossed in something they missed the explosion that set their kids on fire?????
Burns are the excruciating, no excuse in my book for leaving children this young unattended near a dam bon fire.
Oh my before you start an insane witch hunt and finger pointing rampage ,I would like to challenge all of you Trolls, Smart Asses and Regular posters to match my 100 dollar donation to this family. They are all hurting and need the community to pull together to help the children. The children are innocent and the parents are devastated,no brow beating from Miz thang in Candler could possibly match what the parents must be putting themselves through. So just stop it and show us some of that good christian compassion you are always telling us you have.

Location hidden

#4 Aug 10, 2010
Msme from snip Candler wrote:
<quoted text> Oh my before you start an insane witch hunt and finger pointing rampage ,I would like to challenge all of you Trolls, Smart Asses and Regular posters to match my 100 dollar donation to this family. They are all hurting and need the community to pull together to help the children. The children are innocent and the parents are devastated,no brow beating from Miz thang in Candler could possibly match what the parents must be putting themselves through. So just stop it and show us some of that good christian compassion you are always telling us you have.
Good for you in finding a way to brag about any charity you do.

Having a sense of empathy for the family in no way absolves the fact that a toddler was left unsupervised near a fire. I doubt if many parents here can actually claim that is a situation we could all have been in. It's not, fire is a very dangerous thing and most parents are extremely cautions about young children near them.

Apparently there were 2 adults there, one of them could and should have been with the toddler near a fire. We all know how small ones dart around and fall down, 2 yr old energy near a bon fire is a high risk situation.

Those children are now paying the price for that neglect and while I'm sure the parents feel bad, much as a drunken parent who wrecks and maims their child feels bad, it doesn't absolve the fact they were intentionally neglectful.
Msme from snip Candler

Asheville, NC

#5 Aug 10, 2010
No one is bragging about anything...you are just a mean and nasty woman. To imply the parents were drunk what the hell? That is slander. I am deeply sorry for what this family is going through. Why don't you just give it a rest, no one needs your mean and hurtful comments in such a sad and serious situation. I may be a troll but at least I have a heart.Don't be so spiteful.
Bubba

Fayetteville, NC

#6 Aug 10, 2010
I agree that we should offer support to the children and their parents.If there is any wrong doing,I am sure that DSS and the authorities will investigate and prosecute accordingly.Other than that,all the complaining,pointing fingers and blaming the parents for something that we know nothing about will not help what has already happened.Prayers to the family.
Susan

Valdese, NC

#7 Aug 10, 2010
Bubba wrote:
I agree that we should offer support to the children and their parents.If there is any wrong doing,I am sure that DSS and the authorities will investigate and prosecute accordingly.Other than that,all the complaining,pointing fingers and blaming the parents for something that we know nothing about will not help what has already happened.Prayers to the family.
Well said! Nice post.

Location hidden

#8 Aug 10, 2010
Msme from snip Candler wrote:
No one is bragging about anything...you are just a mean and nasty woman. To imply the parents were drunk what the hell? That is slander. I am deeply sorry for what this family is going through. Why don't you just give it a rest, no one needs your mean and hurtful comments in such a sad and serious situation. I may be a troll but at least I have a heart.Don't be so spiteful.
Ur an idiot, no where did I claim the parents were drunk. I compared their actions with those of parents who drink, drive and cause their children harm. They more than likely feel sorrow for their actions after the fact but bottom line is they were neglectful of their childrens safety. Just as these parents were.

I just bet that had this happened to single parents from the projects there might be some possible charges pending....

And my heart lies with the children who were torched and will be scarred for life due to something that could have been avoided with a little common sense from the parents.

My heart also lies with the parents who will go through life knowing their careless actions caused these children harm. But my heart doesn't excuse neglectful behavior by parents and there just isn't an excuse for leaving a 2 yr old unattended by a fire.

Location hidden

#9 Aug 10, 2010
Bubba wrote:
That sounds good but the parents left a 2 yr old unattended by a bon fire with fuel near by. There's not much more information needed to make a judgment call that they parents were neglectful for that child's safety. As for any charges it was already reported that no charges will be filed. DSS apparently will not make an investigation nor even reprimand them for this.

I really can't imagine the outcry on this forum had some single mother in the projects done the same thing. It would get real ugly in here... by the very people here claiming to have a 'heart' for this family.
Lisa Monroe

Asheville, NC

#10 Aug 10, 2010
Bubba wrote:
I have seen how ugly the comments have gotten on the WLOS facebook page. I'm glad this forum has not gone so low. Thank you Topix.
Shameful

Asheville, NC

#11 Aug 11, 2010
MizMe wrote:
<quoted text>
Ur an idiot, no where did I claim the parents were drunk. I compared their actions with those of parents who drink, drive and cause their children harm. They more than likely feel sorrow for their actions after the fact but bottom line is they were neglectful of their childrens safety. Just as these parents were.
I just bet that had this happened to single parents from the projects there might be some possible charges pending....
And my heart lies with the children who were torched and will be scarred for life due to something that could have been avoided with a little common sense from the parents.
My heart also lies with the parents who will go through life knowing their careless actions caused these children harm. But my heart doesn't excuse neglectful behavior by parents and there just isn't an excuse for leaving a 2 yr old unattended by a fire.
The rampant racism is shocking and absurd.What on earth do "single parents in the projects" have to do with this tragedy? Do yourself a favor and stop posting on this topic you are embarrassing.

Location hidden

#12 Aug 11, 2010
Shameful wrote:
<quoted text> The rampant racism is shocking and absurd.What on earth do "single parents in the projects" have to do with this tragedy? Do yourself a favor and stop posting on this topic you are embarrassing.
What do single parents living in the projects have to do with race? Unless of course you equate the projects with a specific color which would be pretty dam racist doncha think? lol
Hillcrest

Asheville, NC

#13 Aug 12, 2010
MizMe wrote:
<quoted text>
What do single parents living in the projects have to do with race? Unless of course you equate the projects with a specific color which would be pretty dam racist doncha think? lol
We weren't born under a rock,, everyone "gets" what you were implying with your slimy post.
Disgusting.
Oh Lawdy

Valdese, NC

#14 Aug 12, 2010
The queen of the betrodden has spoketh. Do not disagree. Do not embellish. Her word is the final say.

ROLMAO

Location hidden

#15 Aug 12, 2010
Hillcrest wrote:
<quoted text> We weren't born under a rock,, everyone "gets" what you were implying with your slimy post.
Disgusting.
You got nothing. And you don't get to lay things at my feet based on your assumptions. If I meant to imply race I would have.

What I see on this forum from folks like buncy,lb and others is derision for the working class such as waitresses,mechanics, secretaries or fast food workers. Typical occupations for those single mothers who end up living in public housing.

I think we all know how this would have played out had a woman living in hillcrest been inside her apt with her boyfriend while her children were unsupervised outside by a bon fire that just torched them.

But since this is an apparent middle class family with a mom and dad no one wants to be honest and entertain the idea that the parents were neglectful.

I know it's a harsh stand to take right now but it's an honest one, those children wouldn't be going through this had an adult been available to stop the child from tossing fuel onto the fire.
Knarles Barkley

Asheville, NC

#16 Aug 12, 2010
MizMe wrote:
<quoted text>
You got nothing. And you don't get to lay things at my feet based on your assumptions. If I meant to imply race I would have.
What I see on this forum from folks like buncy,lb and others is derision for the working class such as waitresses,mechanics, secretaries or fast food workers. Typical occupations for those single mothers who end up living in public housing.
I think we all know how this would have played out had a woman living in hillcrest been inside her apt with her boyfriend while her children were unsupervised outside by a bon fire that just torched them.
But since this is an apparent middle class family with a mom and dad no one wants to be honest and entertain the idea that the parents were neglectful.
I know it's a harsh stand to take right now but it's an honest one, those children wouldn't be going through this had an adult been available to stop the child from tossing fuel onto the fire.
So what is your point white girl?
HillCrest

Asheville, NC

#17 Aug 12, 2010
MizMe wrote:
<quoted text>
The only one I see tossing fuel on the fire is you.

Location hidden

#18 Aug 12, 2010
HillCrest wrote:
<quoted text> The only one I see tossing fuel on the fire is you.
Well hoss when you keep tossing out your ASSumptions about me I have to come back and clarify my position. If you want it dropped then stop insinuating chit about me that isn't true and this thread will drop out of sight.
Fries with that

Asheville, NC

#19 Aug 12, 2010
MizMe wrote:
<quoted text>
Well hoss when you keep tossing out your ASSumptions about me I have to come back and clarify my position. If you want it dropped then stop insinuating chit about me that isn't true and this thread will drop out of sight.
"Are those Bo Biscuits ready yet" I'm hungry.
Equal under God

Asheville, NC

#20 Aug 14, 2010
MizMe wrote:
<quoted text>
That sounds good but the parents left a 2 yr old unattended by a bon fire with fuel near by. There's not much more information needed to make a judgment call that they parents were neglectful for that child's safety. As for any charges it was already reported that no charges will be filed. DSS apparently will not make an investigation nor even reprimand them for this.
I really can't imagine the outcry on this forum had some single mother in the projects done the same thing. It would get real ugly in here... by the very people here claiming to have a 'heart' for this family.
Yes and I'm sure if the children had been Islamic or the children of illegals you would be dancing and clapping with glee.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Skyland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Manheimer Strikes Again for AirBNB Motels (Mar '17) 4 hr The Pips 17
Where Is Rosemberg Ortiz? (Jun '17) 4 hr Rosie Ortiz 6
Asheville Sucks! (Feb '17) 4 hr Local 10
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 6 hr Simon 166,295
Crooked City Manager, Gary Jackson, Says He's R... 23 hr Butch 2
NHM construction drug test Fri wheels 89 1
E85 Ethanol (Jan '10) Feb 11 Asheville Native 25

Skyland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Skyland Mortgages