Bob Caldwell retiring from Channel 13 after 41 years on the air

Bob Caldwell, who has been a fixture on Asheville's WLOS/Channel 13 for more than 40 years, will leave his full-time job at the station at the end of July, he said Wednesday morning. Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
mlc9852

Waynesville, NC

#1 May 2, 2007
Oh, no! He is the main reason I even bother watching. Best of luck, Bob! We love you.

“It's Not About Me”

Since: Mar 07

Asheville

#2 May 2, 2007
He seems to be such a genuine person. That is a rare find these days. I admire him for never changing or giving in to the TV pressure to be a certain image. He was great at just being him. I wish him the very best!

“Thank You Veterans!”

Since: Mar 07

Texas & WNC

#3 May 2, 2007
I am glad he will continue to do his outdoors report. But will definitely miss his
"What ya got is what ya got" in the mornings. Not real fond of Mike Cuevas, hope he doesn't take over. That would really make the mornings unbearable! You will be missed Bob!

“peace”

Since: Feb 07

#4 May 2, 2007
I moved to Asheville in 1988...and met Bob Caldwell in 1989. He is a gentleman and genuine hero from & for our mountains. I am very glad to hear he will continue his precious 'Outdoors' reports....a voice of sanity amid mainstream media acceptance of the destruction of the natural world Caldwell so dearly loves.

My Mom taught me to 'never speak ill of another person'.........so, in regard to WLOS' two 'professional meteorologists'.... I will only say.... I hope Jay Siltzer will enjoy the chance to pursue his passion for weather reporting.....so we will still have someone at Channel 13 to rely upon for clearly spoken & intelligent weather reports.(Sorry Mom).........and GOOD LUCK BOB ! And.....THANK YOU.

Since: May 07

Location hidden

#7 May 2, 2007
I enjoy watching Bob in the mornings. Wish you all the best Bob and enjoy that retirement!

“"We have come too far, ”

Since: Apr 07

Corinth, Texas

#9 May 2, 2007
As my good friend Phil Adams once wrote in the Australian, "Go not quietly into retirement".

As a man of dignity and honor Bob, you will be missed.
native

Asheville, NC

#10 May 2, 2007
I have watched Bob my whole life. In the mornings while I'm getting ready for work he's provided many a morning humor. He is the "heart and soul" of WLOS and no one can ever take his place. He will be missed greatly! I hope he enjoys his retirement he deserves it.
buzzer

AOL

#11 May 2, 2007
Since Bob is the only reason I watch in the a.m. I guess I will have to switch stations after his retirement. Jay Siltzer is not too bad--but it is Victoria Dunkle that totally irks me. She seems to have a cut and dry personality and just not very warm and open. That is how much I like Bob--I will put up with even Dunkle if he is on there.

I guess all good things must come to an end. Good luck to you Bob on your retirement! You will definitely be missed in my house.
free

Boiling Springs, SC

#12 May 2, 2007
How sad, Bob's been around forever. It just ain't gonna be home no more without Bob's weather. Bob is the face of Asheville.
goforth

Asheville, NC

#13 May 2, 2007
Bob Caldwell is tops. Best of luck to you, Bob.
Hunter

Manteo, NC

#14 May 2, 2007
Does anyone actually watch 'local' tv news? I never do...I get it all from radio, internet, cable.
Flat Stanley

Asheville, NC

#15 May 2, 2007
Bob Caldwell is a classy, genuine guy. Best of luck to you, Bob- my family and I will miss you!
james

Asheville, NC

#16 May 2, 2007
well crap who is gonna tell the weather now, even though he wasnt an meteorologist he got the weather right way more than that goofy chick or that Cuevas guy

o well not like WLOS really reports on news, they rather watch that stupid John Lee guy make him self look like an ass
1911-govt

Bailey, NC

#17 May 2, 2007
I'll miss him too.

Aside from his lack of technical acuity (he doesn't apparently do email), he has been both entertaining and informative.

We have had a string of awful weathermen (meteorologists?) in the last few years. Bob has been the exception.
mlc9852

Waynesville, NC

#18 May 2, 2007
james wrote:
well crap who is gonna tell the weather now, even though he wasnt an meteorologist he got the weather right way more than that goofy chick or that Cuevas guy
o well not like WLOS really reports on news, they rather watch that stupid John Lee guy make him self look like an ass
I think Jon Le is great and an real asset to WLOS. Why don't you like him?
Charles Green

United States

#19 May 2, 2007
I'll really miss Bob. I've been away from the Waynesville area for many years but remember him from back in the "Mr. Bill and Bozo" days. He was always a reminder of the good old days every time I get to come home to the mountains. He will be missed greatly!

“BEAT A PAIR OF JACK'S & A FOX ”

Since: Feb 07

ASHEVILLE

#20 May 2, 2007
Hunter wrote:
Does anyone actually watch 'local' tv news? I never do...I get it all from radio, internet, cable.
HUNTER YOU WILL NEVER BE 1/2 THE MAN BOB CALDWELL IS. TOO BAD YOU CAN'T APPRECIATE HOME GROWN. YOU JUST DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT YOU ARE MISSING.
Richard Case

United States

#21 May 2, 2007
Noooooo He is the only Local I think WLOS has ever hired.
ann

Orangeburg, SC

#22 May 2, 2007
...wow!!!! I've been gone from Asheville for 22 years but I've continued to keep up with news, the people, etc. Good luck to you in your retirement Bob!! You will be missed. peace,ann
Jackson

United States

#23 May 2, 2007
mlc9852 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Jon Le is great and an real asset to WLOS. Why don't you like him?
I also agree John Le is an ass, he is not even close to being funny, He is also a VERY VERY arogant man. WLOS has REALLY gone down hill since Mimi was killed

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Skyland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
APD cops call for Chief Anderson's RESIGNATION !!! 6 min THOMAS HOFFMAN 37
Do you approve of Tim Moffitt as State Represen... (Jan '12) 12 min UndergroundBaking 109
DO YOU APPROVE Of CECIL BOTHWELL AS CITY COUNCI... 21 min Ruthann Hoffman 52
Warp drive inventor at Asheville Bus station 39 min ApePeeD 14
N.C. police chief wrote lieutenant up for Army ... 1 hr ApePeeD 6
City Council Backs Police Chief 3 hr Good grief 8
Elizabeth Warren For first Native American woma... 6 hr NC TEA Party Country 17
Skyland Dating
Find my Match

Skyland Jobs

Skyland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Skyland News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Skyland