Strategies to fight depression improv...

Strategies to fight depression improve more than just mood

There are 21 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Jun 12, 2007, titled Strategies to fight depression improve more than just mood. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Day after day, Mona Cornwell dragged herself into work at her office at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College and struggled to do her job.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Joe

Dudley, NC

#1 Jun 13, 2007
So, what are the strategies? If you say drugs, drugs, and more drugs, that's not strategy, that's a bandaid.

Since: Jun 07

India

#2 Jun 13, 2007
You know we need drugs as we have an enviroment full of tensed situations, almsot peoples around the world have financial problems the most stressful family matter that effects also the kids, I think we need to help and support each other without considering the diffrences of communities worth no importance. Humanity is actually the real community that would resolve the differences among the peoples

“Never believe generalizations”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#3 Jun 13, 2007
"So, what are the strategies? If you say drugs, drugs, and more drugs, that's not strategy, that's a bandaid."

Would you ask a diabetic to stop taking insulin? Medications are an important part of the treatment regimen, which also includes counseling, support and education to help obtain the best outcomes.

Many cases of depression are short term. Others may be chronic and reoccurring, and are a consequence of genetics and neuro-chemistry. You can't will yourself out of an illness. That's why medication ('drugs') are important.
Dunnin

Dayton, TN

#4 Jun 13, 2007
unit1073 wrote:
"So, what are the strategies? If you say drugs, drugs, and more drugs, that's not strategy, that's a bandaid."
Would you ask a diabetic to stop taking insulin? Medications are an important part of the treatment regimen, which also includes counseling, support and education to help obtain the best outcomes.
Many cases of depression are short term. Others may be chronic and reoccurring, and are a consequence of genetics and neuro-chemistry. You can't will yourself out of an illness. That's why medication ('drugs') are important.
Drugs are important for treatment, Unit, I agree with you there. However, my sister struggles with depression and another mental illness and it seems that all her medical caregivers ever want to do is to prescribe more drugs that require even more drugs to combat the side effects of the original prescriptions. I think a lot of it is bogus and I personally can tell you they come with a high $ tag, as I pay for my sisters every month. To the tune of almost $2 grand. Thats ridiculous. Especially since she never gets any better. Maybe no worse, but no better.

It is a very vicious cycle, that never seems to end. I thank my lucky stars and God every day that I dont have it.

Location hidden

#5 Jun 13, 2007
Dunnin wrote:
<quoted text>
Drugs are important for treatment, Unit, I agree with you there. However, my sister struggles with depression and another mental illness and it seems that all her medical caregivers ever want to do is to prescribe more drugs that require even more drugs to combat the side effects of the original prescriptions. I think a lot of it is bogus and I personally can tell you they come with a high $ tag, as I pay for my sisters every month. To the tune of almost $2 grand. Thats ridiculous. Especially since she never gets any better. Maybe no worse, but no better.
It is a very vicious cycle, that never seems to end. I thank my lucky stars and God every day that I dont have it.
As you state, mental illness can be devastating at many levels and can sometimes be extremely difficult to treat effectively, especially with a dual diagnosis. Although the success rate for remission of single incident depressive symptoms is very high, some cases appear to be intractable. I also find the continuation of drug cocktails and the costs of pharmaceuticals to be very frustrating. I hope that someday a new medicine will be available to ease her, and your family's, pain.
Sven

Sweden

#6 Jun 13, 2007
Sven says better living through chemistry.
Dunnin

Greenville, SC

#7 Jun 13, 2007
unit1073 wrote:
<quoted text>
As you state, mental illness can be devastating at many levels and can sometimes be extremely difficult to treat effectively, especially with a dual diagnosis. Although the success rate for remission of single incident depressive symptoms is very high, some cases appear to be intractable. I also find the continuation of drug cocktails and the costs of pharmaceuticals to be very frustrating. I hope that someday a new medicine will be available to ease her, and your family's, pain.
Thank you, Unit1073, you are one of the most decent people I have had the good fortune to encounter on this forum. And yes, thats a compliment.

Location hidden

#8 Jun 13, 2007
Dunnin wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, Unit1073, you are one of the most decent people I have had the good fortune to encounter on this forum. And yes, thats a compliment.
Aah, shucks.
Nobody ever calls me indecent. lol
Mechelle

Maxton, NC

#9 Jun 13, 2007
If you had educated yourself before opening your mouth Joe, the "drugs" are what balances the chemicals within the brain to assist in stabilizing a person.

Yes, the doctors have to try many before they can get the right combination which of course is costly!

As stated in the article, the doctor cannot see inside the brain.

It is IGNORANCE that causes stigma!
Screwy Hoolie

Boiling Springs, SC

#10 Jun 14, 2007
Great article, Leslie!

“Report and Deport1866-DHS-2 ICE”

Location hidden

#11 Jun 14, 2007
Legalize Marijuana. Who needs prozac when ya can burn one?

Location hidden

#12 Jun 14, 2007
Mtnbred wrote:
OK in regards to legalization.
However, marijuana is not only a mild hallucinogen, but also a mild depressant. In general, depressed people smoking marijuana tend to get more depressed, apathetic and unmotivated. If that's the goal, pot would be the drug of choice.
Sven

Sweden

#13 Jun 14, 2007
Mtnbred wrote:
Sven agrees with old codger mountain lady. Marijuana will surely beat pill poppin and marijuana is 100% natural, except when laced with hallucinogens like the kind I take before I get on here to post. Sven thinks American people must get back to values and stop buying huge pickup trucks on credit and huge homes with large mortgages and then people can live within their means and not stress about money. Also, Sven thinks American men should think before ejaculating in their partner, and fewer unwanted pregnancies will prevent stress and depressions.

Location hidden

#14 Jun 14, 2007
Sven wrote:
<quoted text>
... Sven thinks American men should think before ejaculating in their partner, and fewer unwanted pregnancies will prevent stress and depressions.
Are you the result of coitus interruptus? That birth control method doesn't work. I've ordered you a gross of condoms - size small.

Location hidden

#15 Jun 14, 2007
Joe wrote:
So, what are the strategies? If you say drugs, drugs, and more drugs, that's not strategy, that's a bandaid.
Where did you get your education?

There is enough stigma associated with depression
and other mental illnesses.

It is bad enough persons like you exist.

The current medications do work. Prozac and families
mishandling the treatment of the children and adults.

Go on-line and read information about these diseases.
Two sources: Merk Manual and the DSM-IV manual.
You might find out that you are just psychotic.
amy

Enka, NC

#16 Jun 15, 2007
I agree that the strategies for depression treatment improve more than just mood. An improved mood/feeling will most likely result in more productivity in the community (whether at work, school, home)

More people need to realize that mental health issues are a part of the lives of many people. A chemical imbalance in the brain is a body malfunction just like diabetes. Both are manageable. We do not ostracize people because they have to take a pill or shot to keep their blood sugar under control and we shouldn't do that to people who have to have a pill to regulate the neurotransmittors in their brains.

More should be done to advocate the effectiveness of mental health care. Funding should be made available for people who do not have the money to seek care. Insurance companies should be required to provide affordable mental health coverage.

We would have a more productive society if treatment/care was given to the individuals who need it.
Dunnin

United States

#17 Jun 15, 2007
Amy, I agree with what you said. Also, support from their families seem to help a lot, as well.
Booked

Kernersville, NC

#18 Jun 18, 2007
Sven wrote:
<quoted text>
Sven agrees with old codger mountain lady. Marijuana will surely beat pill poppin and marijuana is 100% natural, except when laced with hallucinogens like the kind I take before I get on here to post. Sven thinks American people must get back to values and stop buying huge pickup trucks on credit and huge homes with large mortgages and then people can live within their means and not stress about money. Also, Sven thinks American men should think before ejaculating in their partner, and fewer unwanted pregnancies will prevent stress and depressions.
This guy cracks me up, definately the product of a European society. However, I tend to agree with him on this one! I think people sometimes bring depression on themselves by trying to buy happiness.
South Asheville Advocate

Eddyville, KY

#19 Jun 19, 2007
Well it is nice to see that the hillbillies are not the only ones commenting here.
Too many people cannot be bothered to educate themselves on something as simple as the causes of physical illness, much less MENTAL illness and heaven forbid these ignorant fools do something to remedy their situation.
Proper medication, productive therapy, behavior and lifestyle modification can help with depression and other mental illnesses, but there is no magic pill, no magic cure and no amount of hillbilly sarcasm will change this.
Oh, and for you less than brilliant ones, marijuana is a depressant.
Zoompad

Reading, UK

#20 Jun 20, 2007
http://www.corpun.com/ukr00203.htm

This is what caused me 30 years of mental illness. This place was like hell.

Drugs and therepy didn't help me either. The "Therepy" was more like an attempt at brainwashing than anything useful. I think Staffordshire County Council didn't want me to sue them for what they did to me. Well, they succeeded in that, as they falsified my medical records and lost my Social Services documents. Nice work, Staffordshire County Council - you did a good cover up there!

What has helped me is the internet, and meeting other abused people. Being able to talk openly to people without being labelled as a paranoid nutter. Once you meet other people who went through the same crap, you stop doubting your own sanity. No need for pills and other crap!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Skyland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Asheville police tie shootings to gangs, drugs (Jan '08) 2 hr Christine 51
cult in asheville and missing persons (Jan '11) 6 hr Marty Gee 76
JESUS CHRIST IS LORD! Amen!!! 6 hr FarviewDrunkDriver 7
Adrien Fleming (Jan '17) 15 hr mind 5
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 16 hr Subduction Zone 165,424
Memorial Mission Health Care Should be Audited 17 hr Larry 29
Luke combs (Jun '17) 17 hr Vinnie 2

Skyland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Skyland Mortgages