What's going on at City Hall?

Posted in the Sistersville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Ron Sternest

Marietta, OH

#1 Jul 2, 2013
What is going on at City Hall? This used to be such a nice place to live where everyone got along. But, the last few years have just been awful. It seems like someone is always quitting, arguing, or getting fired.What happened to the good old days when you went to pay your bill and knew the folks working there because they had been there for years. Seems like people are always trying to blame others for wrongdoings. I don't know what's going on but I'm sure all the towns people would like to know. It's just a bunch on confusion. What are your opinions?

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#2 Jul 2, 2013
The house is getting cleaned up Ron, that is what is going on at City Hall. For years our water bills have been screwed up, favors being given to friends and family while others in the town picked up the slack (or bill in some cases). What you see going on is a town that has finally decided to be a business instead of a good old boy network. We cannot do improvements or expect businesses to come in when we cannot afford the upkeep of the town.

For those of you that will complain about my comments - go to the city council meetings and hear what is going on instead of sitting on your behinds complaining about things. Get involved and try not to believe everything you read in the paper unless you have heard it for yourself.
Shaking My Head

Clarksburg, WV

#3 Jul 3, 2013
When I lived in Sistersville, residents didn't have to choose between paying their water bills and feeding their families. There were businesses flourishing, streets were in good condition,and people patronized those businesses. I know many people who chose to move out of city limits because they didn't want to pay high city bills. How can your neighbors Paden City and Friendly provide water service to their residents for a fraction of the cost that the people in Sistersville pay??? It sounds like there is still a lot of cleaning up to do. It's almost embarrassing to read council news.

Location hidden

#4 Jul 5, 2013
LOL @ Shaking My Head! Have you ever seen an actual rate report for the state of West Virginia? Friendly has one of the highest water rates in the state! It's worse than Sistersville according to the stats that I reviewed last year. Paden City is the cheapest of the local towns with Middlebourne next, then Sistersville, then Friendly.

No one has to choose between water bills and feeding their families and saying that is ridiculous! If you or anyone else wants this town to continue, then pay your bills and if you cannot, then MAKE PAYMENT ARRANGEMENTS! I have found the city building to be more than fair when it comes to arranging payment of an overdue water bill when my paycheck didn't stretch far enough.
Shaking My Head 2

Fairmont, WV

#5 Jul 6, 2013
I have Friendly water, Tyler Resident - I know the cost of water. The highest my water bill has ever been is $122 and that was when we filled our pool. My monthly bill runs between $50 and $55. I have many friends who reside in Sistersville who only have two people in their house and they are paying over $100 a month. I think you would have a hard time convincing the residents that it's cheaper to live in Sistersville. My guess is that it's all the added on fees that the city charges for who knows what.

Since: Jul 13

Sistersville,Wv

#6 Jul 6, 2013
Shaking My Head 2 wrote:
I have Friendly water, Tyler Resident - I know the cost of water. The highest my water bill has ever been is $122 and that was when we filled our pool. My monthly bill runs between $50 and $55. I have many friends who reside in Sistersville who only have two people in their house and they are paying over $100 a month. I think you would have a hard time convincing the residents that it's cheaper to live in Sistersville. My guess is that it's all the added on fees that the city charges for who knows what.
I agree with you,if the city didn't have all these fees for who knows what our bills would be cheaper.
Oldie fighting the tide

Marietta, OH

#7 Jul 6, 2013
But then everyone would be complaining about "We have NOTHING here"! when all the extras that are 'added on' disappear. I don't understand why people only complain about the WATER USAGE, because Pools, Lawn garden watering, pond filling... when this water does NOT go down the sewers...but you pay a like-fee to your water bill. As far as your inside water, you take long showers, tub full baths, wash dishes under running water, leave water running to brush your teeth, Wash small loads on Large cycles...did you ever hear of CONSERVING WATER?...rather than assuming your water bills are padded? If you have more than one person living in your house, especially teenagers who haven't a clue about conserving...your bill WILL be higher. It isn't physics.
Shaking My Head 2

Clarksburg, WV

#8 Jul 6, 2013
Okay, so do only the people in Sistersville do all of these things that make their water bills so high? Do the people getting Friendly water not take showers, baths, wash dishes, brush their teeth, and wash their clothes? What are all the extras that will disappear? I just read tonight two different people post that they got their water bills today and they are over $200 - for two person households!!!
Slackersville

New York, NY

#9 Jul 7, 2013
If you can't afford to live here, do us all a favor...stop whining and move to somewhere else. Like Friendly...a quick drive thru that town shows what a lack of city fees will buy.

Location hidden

#10 Jul 7, 2013
Every city has different fees. Sistersville's water is $39.00 for anyone using zero to 3000 gal. That is cheaper than Friendly however Sistersville maintains a sewage facility...streets...a police dept...a fire dept....trash pickup....and they plan for community improvements which is all on the city bill. The other towns in the area don't have most of these fees because they don't offer trash pickup...police protection...and fire protection or community improvements. If you are protesting these fees...vote them down next time bet you will be pissed when the police won't come....your trash isn't picked up and your house burns down! Oh and not to mention those future improvements you want to the city but cannot get because there's no money.
Ron Sternest

Marietta, OH

#11 Jul 7, 2013
I pay a street fee every month and my street is still covered with cinders from winter. It gets swept once a year, weather it needs it or not.

Sistersville,Wv

#12 Jul 7, 2013
Ron the only time my street gets swept is when I sweep it myself. The city workers do not sweep the street I live on at all. For the last 4 years I've swept the street every spring to clean cinders.
Oldie fighting the tide

Marietta, OH

#13 Jul 7, 2013
Shaking My Head 2 wrote:
Okay, so do only the people in Sistersville do all of these things that make their water bills so high? Do the people getting Friendly water not take showers, baths, wash dishes, brush their teeth, and wash their clothes? What are all the extras that will disappear? I just read tonight two different people post that they got their water bills today and they are over $200 - for two person households!!!
Are those 2 people households talking $200 just for WATER? or $200 for the entire City Bill? I pay $117 for 1 person for ALL..the entire bill.I realize it was recently increased by $6-7,....the result of all of you calling the State, complaining you were being cheated, wherein they investigated the City, and found NOTHING WRONG except that you weren't billed for the increase that was MANDATED to happen in 2010! So, you got 3 years OF A FREE RIDE....and now because of You all, it caught up to you. They are NOT back-billing you, do you notice that?...and by LAW, they could. Do you appreciate that? No, of course not. If my wife was alive, and my kids living at home, my bills would be higher too. A 2-3-4 person household SHOULD pay more than a 1 person household, don't you think. If you don't like all the added fes, and want to stay in Sistersville, go OUTSIDE the City Limits...up on Oil Ridge for instance. They pay only water. Of course, they must Plow their own roads, cinder their own road, fight their own fires..yes, that too....TRY IT. Maybe you'll like it here then.
Ron Sternest

Marietta, OH

#14 Jul 7, 2013
townscitizen wrote:
Ron the only time my street gets swept is when I sweep it myself. The city workers do not sweep the street I live on at all. For the last 4 years I've swept the street every spring to clean cinders.
Hmmm, funny that none of them came back at us with an argument on this one. Why do we pay a street fee every month if the streets aren't being cleaned?

Sistersville,Wv

#15 Jul 7, 2013
Ron I'll tell you why,because they know its true! For the last 4 years I have swept my street that I live on from corner to corner both sides. And Oldie,since when did the people on Oil Ridge start fighting their own fires? The last track I had half was covered by Paden City Volunteer Fire Company and the other half Sistersville Volunteer Fire Department. As a matter of fact I saw Sistersville fire trucks going that way about a week and a half ago.
dangerousdaneerf an

Marietta, OH

#16 Jul 7, 2013
Oldie fighting the tide wrote:
<quoted text> Are those 2 people households talking $200 just for WATER? or $200 for the entire City Bill? I pay $117 for 1 person for ALL..the entire bill.I realize it was recently increased by $6-7,....the result of all of you calling the State, complaining you were being cheated, wherein they investigated the City, and found NOTHING WRONG except that you weren't billed for the increase that was MANDATED to happen in 2010! So, you got 3 years OF A FREE RIDE....and now because of You all, it caught up to you. They are NOT back-billing you, do you notice that?...and by LAW, they could. Do you appreciate that? No, of course not. If my wife was alive, and my kids living at home, my bills would be higher too. A 2-3-4 person household SHOULD pay more than a 1 person household, don't you think. If you don't like all the added fes, and want to stay in Sistersville, go OUTSIDE the City Limits...up on Oil Ridge for instance. They pay only water. Of course, they must Plow their own roads, cinder their own road, fight their own fires..yes, that too....TRY IT. Maybe you'll like it here then.
Real smart oldie, blaming residents for the flustercuck at City Hall.
cityhall adovocate

Louisa, KY

#17 Jul 8, 2013
Dan run for mayor and clean out the unguth bunch
newcomer

Marietta, OH

#18 Jul 8, 2013
Dan, uses the same old excuse, That he has to retire first. The fact is he would not make a good dog catcher let alone a mayor.
Concerned Citizen

Marietta, OH

#19 Jul 8, 2013
I heard that on the agenda tonight that Julie is asking for a pay raise already.
Ville resident

Marietta, OH

#20 Jul 8, 2013
Pay raise? Really?! Smh.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sistersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create your own Forum 3 hr Huntington Guy 372
Jeff smith Fri Jackie-986 3
Jeremy Swartzmiller Fri bobbygreen 4
new martinsville trash Jul 10 Chad 4
News Pitbull Owner Charged Jul 10 Reality 2
Local Vets Jul 8 Animal-Lover 3
cheating husbands (Apr '11) Jul '15 concerned 22
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sistersville Mortgages