Kanawha paramedic charged with batter...

Kanawha paramedic charged with battery, fired

There are 49 comments on the Charleston Gazette story from May 26, 2011, titled Kanawha paramedic charged with battery, fired. In it, Charleston Gazette reports that:

A Kanawha County paramedic has been charged with allegedly slapping a prisoner who was in the custody of Dunbar police.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Charleston Gazette.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
lets see

Martinsville, VA

#41 Jun 1, 2011
I would like to know if the other guy had any charges on him for whatever he did to the medic because it should be a felony!!
Well

Point Pleasant, WV

#42 Jun 1, 2011
lets see wrote:
I would like to know if the other guy had any charges on him for whatever he did to the medic because it should be a felony!!
It would not be a felony unless it cause severe bodily injury.

That is obviously not the case.
paramedic for life

Jersey City, NJ

#43 Jun 2, 2011
Well wrote:
<quoted text>It would not be a felony unless it cause severe bodily injury.

That is obviously not the case.
Well why is it a felony assault to spit or grab a cop and to takes great and grave bodily harm for it to be a felony when it's against a paramedic or firefighter,any assault or battery should be a felony when it's against ANY public safety official.
Yeah

Logan, WV

#44 Jun 2, 2011
paramedic for life wrote:
<quoted text>
Well why is it a felony assault to spit or grab a cop and to takes great and grave bodily harm for it to be a felony when it's against a paramedic or firefighter,any assault or battery should be a felony when it's against ANY public safety official.
I am not so sure it is felony assault to spit on a Cop.

It is to assault a Police Officer.

At any rate, dealing with suspects is an every day thing for Police Officers. It is just an occasional job hazard for Paramedics.
EMT

Matoaka, WV

#45 Jun 2, 2011
For one if the cops did their job EMS would not be called into positions like this. Many times the patient claims an illness and since the cops don't want to deal with taking the pt to be checked they call EMS and then the "patient" gets off scott free because the cops don't follow up. I wish the cops would pick their drunks up from the er's and take them to the crisis units. Instead of EMS having to take the drunk who has to agree to go. What a waist of tax payers money, but no it's easier to call an ambulance and let them deal with it.

Most people who get fired from KCEAA just have to reapply in 6 months and they get their job back. Numerous times. I know many that have been fired/quit before getting fired that are working again, and do the same shit that they got fired for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time around.

It is a matter of who you know/related to. Some get suspended for the same thing others get a talking to for the same things. It's all who you know.
EMS worker

Nicholasville, KY

#46 Jun 3, 2011
Truthfully wrote:
<quoted text>
Spitting is considered assault on a Police Officer. They can do whatever it takes to stop the action. They have that power as Officer's of the law. They technically could not hit a handcuffed suspect, but they could drag him out of the car and put his shirt or something over his head to prevent being spitted on.
A paramedic cannot do that because ANYTHING they do while in uniform, their employer can be held legally liable for.
They are allowed to 'defend' themselves but their were two Police Officer's on scene there to do that. All the paramedic had to do was back away from the car and inform the Officer's what happened or yelled for help. He cannot assault someone for spitting on him.
<quoted text>
I honestly don't know how I would react to getting spit on. Possibly the same way this paramedic did. But I would also own up to it and accept the responsibility for my actions.
If he did hit the person in the back of the Police car in the presence of two Police Officers he deserved to be fired.
There is no investigation needed in that scenario.
I agree that the medic should accept the responsibility for his actions. But I also believe that the person he is charged with assaulting should also held accountable for his actions as well. I know that law enforcement officers have a very difficult job, but if they assault someone they are also reflecting on their employer.
MEDIC-POLICE

Charleston, WV

#47 Jun 3, 2011
EMT wrote:
For one if the cops did their job EMS would not be called into positions like this. Many times the patient claims an illness and since the cops don't want to deal with taking the pt to be checked they call EMS and then the "patient" gets off scott free because the cops don't follow up. I wish the cops would pick their drunks up from the er's and take them to the crisis units. Instead of EMS having to take the drunk who has to agree to go. What a waist of tax payers money, but no it's easier to call an ambulance and let them deal with it.
Most people who get fired from KCEAA just have to reapply in 6 months and they get their job back. Numerous times. I know many that have been fired/quit before getting fired that are working again, and do the same shit that they got fired for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time around.
It is a matter of who you know/related to. Some get suspended for the same thing others get a talking to for the same things. It's all who you know.
Well coming from someone who does both jobs, it is actually Policy of the Departments to call EMS for the patient if there is a possible illness, mental or otherwise. As for Cops not taking people to "crisis units" obviously you do not realize that Deputies take mental hygiene ordered people in all the time. By the way how do you know the cops do not follow up. I wasn't aware that you were supposed to kept in the loop when it comes to the status of the police's cases.
Ems worker

Nicholasville, KY

#48 Jun 3, 2011
MEDIC-POLICE wrote:
<quoted text> Well coming from someone who does both jobs, it is actually Policy of the Departments to call EMS for the patient if there is a possible illness, mental or otherwise. As for Cops not taking people to "crisis units" obviously you do not realize that Deputies take mental hygiene ordered people in all the time. By the way how do you know the cops do not follow up. I wasn't aware that you were supposed to kept in the loop when it comes to the status of the police's cases.
I agree that you have to follow your policies and procedures. I can't imagine being a Police Officer and a Medic! Both are difficult and demanding professions. God Bless you for what you do.
Truthfully

Logan, WV

#49 Jun 4, 2011
EMS worker wrote:
<quoted text>I agree that the medic should accept the responsibility for his actions. But I also believe that the person he is charged with assaulting should also held accountable for his actions as well. I know that law enforcement officers have a very difficult job, but if they assault someone they are also reflecting on their employer.
They do reflect on their employer, but Policeman are also trained to detain suspects. They are also allowed to by law.

Paramedics are not.

Policeman have more rights granted to them by their job in that regard.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sissonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GoFund me for Goldtooth to attend ministry school Sun Coffer 2
Crazy lady on white oak Sun Telling it as is 5
Tracy jividen has hep C May 27 secret keeper no ... 2
Heather Gibson May 27 IveGotAheadacheTh... 4
Leah Lowe May 27 the girl is dumb 4
Ticket yo! May 26 sick of these cri... 10
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) May 25 Matt Kelly 4,203

Sissonville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance