Teen arrested in Sisseton stabbing in...

Teen arrested in Sisseton stabbing inci...

There are 45 comments on the Argus Leader story from Feb 11, 2008, titled Teen arrested in Sisseton stabbing inci.... In it, Argus Leader reports that:

A 15-year-old Veblen boy was arrested in connection with stabbing a fellow student at Sisseton High School Monday morning. via Argus Leader

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Argus Leader.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
James

Highmore, SD

#1 Feb 12, 2008
Not surprising when you consider the gang problem in Sisseton, it seems the ball was dropped once again, when is Sisseton going to wake up get change the people who run that town.
Anything Goes

Wessington Springs, SD

#2 Feb 12, 2008
It was only a matter of time. Sisseton is a time bomb. The reason they do not have a no tolerance policy is because it would not apply to most native american kids. Anyone on a federal program...kids that are on IEP's,(individualized education plans for learning disabilities),are guarenteed an education and cannot be expelled from school for any reason.The school would have to tutor them if need be. Trust me ...I know what I am talking about. I have been through this with this school in the past. Your children are not EQUAL in this school system. The federal dollars are what keeps this school alive. Do you know that a student had a hit list a few years ago, in the high school? Although the kids and the administration were aware of it, it was swept under the carpet and treated as though it was not substantial.... even though school officials contacted the parents of those on this list to let them know their kids were named. I have confronted the past superintendent and the principals of both the middle school amd the high school on incidents involving firearms in the school. I was ready...I had my facts straight.. and they could not say what I was asking them was not true. Yes people...there have been guns brought into or brought on to school grounds, and no these kids were not taken out of the system. A matter of fact, the officials were more concerned about where I was getting this info, than anything.
Anything Goes

Wessington Springs, SD

#3 Feb 12, 2008
(continued)When one of my sons was in 6th grade..10 years ago... he found a money clip on the bus on the way to school. "Century Homes" it said on the approx. 1"x1" gadget. When he got to school he discovered it had a fold out fingernail file with a scewdriver end, can opener and a blade all combinedon one little blade. He showed his friends what he had found. Never in a million years did he think it was a weapon..but you know what?? I recieved a call soon after and without explaination the pricipal called me at home and told me to come pick up my child, that he had been expelled from all public schools in the state of south dakota for one year because of the violation of the firearms and weapons policy. Of course I fought it , but I was only able to reduce it to a ten day suspention in which I arranged to get his assignments and turn them in, so he would not fall behind. This developed into another problem... As my husband and I made sure he was completing his work and we were turning it over to the teachers...one teacher kept sending back reports of missing assinments and giving him failing grades. I began photo copying these assignments and logging everything. I had talked to other parents who had children in the same class, wondering if they ever experianced problems with this teacher. We were shocked to find out the same thing was happening to them. While talking to my eldest daughter who was in this teachers classs four years prior...she told me it was also happening to her, but she figured out what she was doing and caught her discarding students work in the waste basket. My daughter actually confronted her about it..and it never happened to HER again. But as you can see it was a ritual with this teacher Another teacher even told me that this teacher made a comment to her about how she could give my child a 'B' in her class..and she responded because he earned it. Then the other teacher said to her that she did not care what he earned in her class that she would never give him a good grade no matter what. I exposed my findings to the principal. He said he would deal with it, but defended the teacher. I lost faith and confidence in the system after that.
Anything Goes

Wessington Springs, SD

#4 Feb 12, 2008
(continued) After numerous physical threats..on a daily basis within these schools, directed at my kids, and the schools inability to do anything about it (protction under federal law)and the bomb threats that were then occuring at the middle school, I could not take it anymore. My kids mean too much to me than to throw them to the wolves and let them fight for their right for an education.( Funny thing was..during these bomb threats, they bussed these kids to the high school for safety, but, the high school had just had the hit list incident. WOW.. that could have been a disaster. Now you have hundreds more students in an unstable enviroment.) I attended another board meeting after this and learned they had no plans for things of this nature. The next time it happens though..did you know that your kids will be bussed to undisclosed locations.. off of school grounds, and that parents or no one else can know where these locations will be. For safety. These are not the only incidents..there are many more...but after this one I chose to close my business in town and transfer my kids to schools outside of the reservation..so that they could get the quality, uninterupted education that they were in school to get, with out race and instability being the focus, playing a major role in their everyday lives. I can tell you it was the absolute best thing I could have ever done for my kids...and the first thing they both said to me was that they felt safe and could not believe that they could not believe that this was the way school was really suppose to be...they love going to school, not having to watch their backs, or having disipline be the main focus of every day in the class room. Open enrollment..you have a choice, people. Many schools will travel across borders quite a distance to pick up kids. You would be surprised. Sisseton is the next Columbine, waiting to happen. One last thing...if you think this and the two other beatings that occured in Sisseton. in the past, (that left the victims mamed for life), were not gang related you live in a bubble. The same bubble your Mayor commissioners, city council and school board share. You can only keep your eyes closed for so long. Too bad that the day they open will probably be too late..after something horrible.. or should I say MORE horrible happens. All these kids need to be tried as adults..thats all there is to it. They know what they are doing. They want to act big and bad...they need to be treated accordingly... and by the way. The reason that this juvenile will be taken care of in Marshall county is because juveniles are suppose to be dealt with according to the county they reside in..not where the incedent occured. Veblen is in Marshall County. Don't worry... he is more likely to get the punishment he deserves in Marshall County. They are pretty tough on kids. Trying to keep them under control.
To Anything goes

Highmore, SD

#5 Feb 12, 2008
AMEN!!!!!! I couldn't of said it better myself, I enjoyed reading your statement, I forgot about all that other stuff, keep up the good work my freind.......
related to veblen boi

Sisseton, SD

#6 Feb 13, 2008
U Guys shouldn't judge him u don't even know him like i do im his cousin im ashamed of wat he has done none of us know why he even did it. when we were younger we used have so much fun. but we can't do that anymore because everything has changed he changed and i don't know why but ill miss my little cuz
To related in Veblen

Highmore, SD

#7 Feb 13, 2008
What should we do give him a big sloppy kiss???? and tell him well done! In all reality this isn't such a bad thing, at least it exposed the school weakness and hopfully state and federal goverments will now see that they to have failed the Sisseton School system. These kids should be addressed, it's not our fault certain kids do what they do.and it's certainly not the majority of kids in school fault either.
JAHNA

Wessington Springs, SD

#8 Mar 14, 2008
YOU GUYS ARE RETARDED AND YEAH THERE A LOT OF RACES TEACHERS<. THEY HATE INDIANS AND I SAY F#$% EM
To JAHNA

Wessington Springs, SD

#9 Mar 14, 2008
Yea Yea Jahna, it's always somebody else's fault isn't it, we hear this everytime, it gets old but people like you will never change, maybe instead of playing the blame game you can do something about it, such as attending AA or anger managment class, you should let the hate out, but then agagin people like you just remind all of us how you can't be taken serious, get off food stamps and welfere and get a job you have to much free time on your hands.
Sam

Rosalie, NE

#10 Mar 20, 2008
I don't agree this was okay or right at all. I believe the reason children are acting out in this way is because there parents are not raising them properly. In today's society they let there kids run free with no boundries or rules, the kids begin feeling neglected and alone and act out in this manner. I think the biggest thing we need to do is pull the parents head out of there a$$.

JAHNA, we don't always have to bring the racism into this. The color of our skin does not reflect on how we act out or how we are treated. If you are going to treat people unfairly you are going to be served your consiquences! Its simple!

Since: Mar 08

Beloit, WI

#11 May 19, 2008
I agree...the teaching of kids start at home. If the parents arnt raising their children proper you end up with some really bad problems. No one is to blame but the child,(depending upon age) and the ones raising him or her..
cante frenz with donovan

Watertown, SD

#12 Jun 3, 2008
i think it was a mistake because everybody makes mistakes juss like i did.he will change.he ain;t no bad kid just cause he stabbed that boi
Anything Goes

Wessington Springs, SD

#13 Jun 9, 2008
cante frenz with donovan wrote:
i think it was a mistake because everybody makes mistakes juss like i did.he will change.he ain;t no bad kid just cause he stabbed that boi
This is exactly why we don't get anywhere with these kids or their parents. They have a whole different perspective on life. Their values and priorities are are so far from where they should be... in the real world... that everything is OK..or there is an excuse or reason for anything they do...and if not, throw the race card. Their parents installed that in their brains..that is what they carry with them and pass it on, from generation to generation. Both need to be held accountable. What do you expect when these kids are passed around to be raised by multiple family members? Some don't know what a home even is...let alone the responsibility of a parent role in their lives. Then we expect them to grow up and do what??? r They will repeat the disfunction...they know no other way. But they do know right from wrong...That is not something anyone can claim they did not know in this case. They are not babies..It's a vicious circle. If these kids COULD be placed in homes. Homes that could benefit their needs as children...instead of putting so much emphasis on TRADITION...by passing them around within families...maybe they would have half a chance.
formerDakotan

Phoenix, AZ

#14 Mar 22, 2010
Sisseton must really be a cesspool Haven't been there for many years and then it was just to shop
voice of concern parent

Richmond, VA

#15 Apr 21, 2010
sdf
voice of concern parent

Richmond, VA

#16 Apr 21, 2010
Anything Goes wrote:
<quoted text>
This is exactly why we don't get anywhere with these kids or their parents. They have a whole different perspective on life. Their values and priorities are are so far from where they should be... in the real world... that everything is OK..or there is an excuse or reason for anything they do...and if not, throw the race card. Their parents installed that in their brains..that is what they carry with them and pass it on, from generation to generation. Both need to be held accountable. What do you expect when these kids are passed around to be raised by multiple family members? Some don't know what a home even is...let alone the responsibility of a parent role in their lives. Then we expect them to grow up and do what??? r They will repeat the disfunction...they know no other way. But they do know right from wrong...That is not something anyone can claim they did not know in this case. They are not babies..It's a vicious circle. If these kids COULD be placed in homes. Homes that could benefit their needs as children...instead of putting so much emphasis on TRADITION...by passing them around within families...maybe they would have half a chance.
YOu know who cante is right? She is that girl that was involved in that beating of that sanchez kid.
wow

Britton, SD

#17 Oct 15, 2010
Anything Goes wrote:
(continued) After numerous physical threats..on a daily basis within these schools, directed at my kids, and the schools inability to do anything about it (protction under federal law)and the bomb threats that were then occuring at the middle school, I could not take it anymore. My kids mean too much to me than to throw them to the wolves and let them fight for their right for an education.( Funny thing was..during these bomb threats, they bussed these kids to the high school for safety, but, the high school had just had the hit list incident. WOW.. that could have been a disaster. Now you have hundreds more students in an unstable enviroment.) I attended another board meeting after this and learned they had no plans for things of this nature. The next time it happens though..did you know that your kids will be bussed to undisclosed locations.. off of school grounds, and that parents or no one else can know where these locations will be. For safety. These are not the only incidents..there are many more...but after this one I chose to close my business in town and transfer my kids to schools outside of the reservation..so that they could get the quality, uninterupted education that they were in school to get, with out race and instability being the focus, playing a major role in their everyday lives. I can tell you it was the absolute best thing I could have ever done for my kids...and the first thing they both said to me was that they felt safe and could not believe that they could not believe that this was the way school was really suppose to be...they love going to school, not having to watch their backs, or having disipline be the main focus of every day in the class room. Open enrollment..you have a choice, people. Many schools will travel across borders quite a distance to pick up kids. You would be surprised. Sisseton is the next Columbine, waiting to happen. One last thing...if you think this and the two other beatings that occured in Sisseton. in the past,(that left the victims mamed for life), were not gang related you live in a bubble. The same bubble your Mayor commissioners, city council and school board share. You can only keep your eyes closed for so long. Too bad that the day they open will probably be too late..after something horrible.. or should I say MORE horrible happens. All these kids need to be tried as adults..thats all there is to it. They know what they are doing. They want to act big and bad...they need to be treated accordingly... and by the way. The reason that this juvenile will be taken care of in Marshall county is because juveniles are suppose to be dealt with according to the county they reside in..not where the incedent occured. Veblen is in Marshall County. Don't worry... he is more likely to get the punishment he deserves in Marshall County. They are pretty tough on kids. Trying to keep them under control.
Thank you that's what we are facing as parents at westside.
Anything goes

Sisseton, SD

#18 Oct 15, 2010
wow wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you that's what we are facing as parents at westside.
I'm sorry to hear that things are not improving. I see the emphasis in the schools is being pu into extra curicular activities(sports) and music. I wasn't too far off when i said ssseton was the next Columbine... thank god that last incedent was diffused.Just remember... If you have the chance, move your kids elsewhere. there are many other scholls aroung the area that are nothing like the ones in Sisseton. Trust me... your kids will benifit EMENSELY from it. We only get the opportunity to direct them down the right path for a very short time. With out the proper foundation, they will not be able to make wise decisions as adults. The problems are basically ignored until it affects someone who is "somebody" in the community. Teachers should be given a hazard pay for working in these schools that are high risk.
Anything goes

Sisseton, SD

#19 Oct 15, 2010
voice of concern parent wrote:
<quoted text>
YOu know who cante is right? She is that girl that was involved in that beating of that sanchez kid.
Oh my... wonderful. Do you see the mind set here??? They learned NOTHING from this. Nothing except that they make mistakes... I wish I knew the answer here... The only thing i can think of is to keep the punishment high for crimes like this, as a deterant, try these kids that hide behind the fact that they are kids...they know damn well what they are doing. Close the reservation and let them destroy them selves. That may sound harsh, but if they are going to buck the system everytime they come face to face with a problem and try to use their ehnic background as a reason... then they need to live amongst them selves. Their is no excuse for ignorance these days, or illiteracy. If these kids are getting by not even knowing how to write a decent sentence ( as is very relivant on here) then something is very wrong.
Big Jim

Wessington Springs, SD

#20 Oct 16, 2010
To anything goes, it is my opinion that you are a trouble maker. . .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sisseton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in South Dako... (Oct '10) Jul '17 CA Escapee 19
News Beating Investigation Continues in Sisseton (May '07) Nov '16 Anonymous 42
News Police Still Looking for AJ Lufkins of Sisseton (May '10) Jun '15 TSI001 85
News Sisseton Beating Suspect In Court (Jun '07) Jul '14 nitos mom 8
Sisseton and their blind eye towards Pedophiles (Jul '13) Apr '14 wake up people 3
News Man Wanted In Connection With Attempted Homicid... (Mar '14) Mar '14 afraidofthedarkinRC 1
News Nuns, priests accused of sexual abuse at Sisset... (Aug '10) Jan '14 chi red 7

Sisseton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sisseton Mortgages