Sisseton Fights Drop-Out Rate

Sisseton Fights Drop-Out Rate

There are 6 comments on the KELO-TV Sioux Falls story from Jan 18, 2008, titled Sisseton Fights Drop-Out Rate. In it, KELO-TV Sioux Falls reports that:

“I was thinking of getting a job after I graduate, wait a year, and go to college”

Features Services Sisseton Fights Drop-Out Rate - 01/18/2008 5:55 PM Sisseton Fights Drop-Out Rate 0 Posts They may battle over funding, but when it comes to keeping students in class, the state legislature and ... via KELO-TV Sioux Falls

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KELO-TV Sioux Falls.

Dropout

Wessington Springs, SD

#1 Jan 24, 2008
Send everyone to TZ school, Diploma's or free if you can pass 2 grade.
Anything Goes

Wessington Springs, SD

#2 Jan 31, 2008
thats odd... why is it that my posts are not showing up??
Anything Goes

Wessington Springs, SD

#3 Jan 31, 2008
Thats all fine and very knoble.... but the fact of the matter is, this school is trying to make itself look good because of all the bad publicity it has gotten. These teachers need to focus on the kids that WANT to be in school and separate the ones that don't, or that need all of this special attention. They need an alternative school. Quality of education is not going to rise because you have saved a few lost souls. It is true that everyone needs someone to show interest in them... but we are paying these teachers to teach our children...EQUALLY. Put that time and energy into someone who will excel,, and wants to excel..and watch them rise. Teachers definately have a very tough job... and are very under paid for their efforts, but their job is to teach..the masses. Leave the counseling, tutoring and social services, to those who are trained to handle these situations. Weeding the garden is the only way you will improve the quality of education,and get those that need the special individualized plans the help they need, without taking away anothers right to recieve an education.Band-aids will not fix this schools reputation. I would like to see a 'no tolerance' plan in place for this school. They couldn't do that, though. They would lose too much funding.... and probably would not have much left in the field of sports. Hey ...there's a thought. Let's spend the same amount of time and money on the education process, and not put so much emphasis on extra-curricular activities. I would rather see stats on the "no child left behind" program improve, than to see that our sports teams are rising in rank..or division. We want to be right up there competing with the big boys... for what?? To be able to show the world that our kids can play sports...to see a few, if that, go on to participate in college sports. How many kids actually have careers based on the skills of high school sports? As over worked, physically, that these kids are these days..in order to WIN.. all I see is alot of kids that are ruining their bodies for life....ask them how they are feeling when they are 40 or 50..and see if it was worth it.(CONTINUED)
Anything Goes

Wessington Springs, SD

#4 Jan 31, 2008
Wouldn't you rather see them reading or doing math at proficient level or above..preferably??? Having the opportunity to be a very successful adult in a prosporous field of work. Yeah... I could go on and on about that also...How we are at a disadvantage and should not be held to same standards as other schools because we have so many impoverished and disadvantaged kids in our schools... with disabilities in the area of learning... and that is why we score so low. Wake up people. Hold the parents responsible for these kids futures. Let them figure out what to do with them after they have fallen through the cracks. You cannot change things by giving everyone an excuse or a crutch or a reason not to succeed. Always letting someone else pick up the pieces, lick the wound an go right back at it. It's a vicious cycle on the reservation... keep passing the buck..or should I say the kids.I think if laws were changed and the indian culture was not focused on as "so important" in the rearing of children, so many kids would have a chance to suceed by removing them from their disfunctionalfamilies and relatives and placing them in homes that can focus on the needs of the child..and not culture. It is so selfish to use these kids and treat them as possesions instead of human beings. Preserve your culture in other ways. Not at the expence of a childhood that is wasted, because you as a people were to blind to see that these kids deserve so much more out of life than to say "I am a Native American...you owe me for what our fore fathers endured". I call it history... creation of civilizations... nothing different than how settlers and explorers across the world developed there territories and governing nations. I some times wonder what it would be like, if all the federal dollars allocated to the native americans were put to use on the american population, as a whole. I truely believe, even our native friends, would benefit, more so, than with the system set up the way it is now. War is never pretty...or fair to all. But the strongest and fittest survive. Right or wrong...majority rules. People make up a majority because they unite in a belief. Conformity must prevail in order to keep the peace. Not all will agree...but thats just the way human nature exists.
Anything Goes

Highmore, SD

#5 Jan 31, 2008
THIS POST IS THE FIRST PART OF MY COMMENT ABOVE. FOR SOME REASON IT DID NOT POST)Thats all fine and very knoble.... but the fact of the matter is, this school is trying to make itself look good because of all the bad publicity it has gotten. These teachers need to focus on the kids that WANT to be in school and separate the ones that don't, or that need all of this special attention. They need an alternative school. Quality of education is not going to rise because you have saved a few lost souls. It is true that everyone needs someone to show interest in them... but we are paying these teachers to teach our children...EQUALLY. Put that time and energy into someone who will excel,, and wants to excel..and watch them rise. Teachers definately have a very tough job... and are very under paid for their efforts, but their job is to teach..the masses. Leave the counseling, tutoring and social services, to those who are trained to handle these situations. Weeding the garden is the only way you will improve the quality of education,and get those that need the special individualized plans the help they need, without taking away anothers right to recieve an education.Band-aids will not fix this schools reputation. I would like to see a 'no tolerance' plan in place for this school. They couldn't do that, though. They would lose too much funding.... and probably would not have much left in the field of sports. Hey ...there's a thought. Let's spend the same amount of time and money on the education process, and not put so much emphasis on extra-curricular activities. I would rather see stats on the "no child left behind" program improve, than to see that our sports teams are rising in rank..or division. We want to be right up there competing with the big boys... for what?? To be able to show the world that our kids can play sports...to see a few, if that, go on to participate in college sports. How many kids actually have careers based on the skills of high school sports? As over worked, physically, that these kids are these days..in order to WIN.. all I see is alot of kids that are ruining their bodies for life....ask them how they are feeling when they are 40 or 50..and see if it was worth it.
Anything Goes

Wessington Springs, SD

#6 Jan 31, 2008
ooppps...now it printed..disreguard the repeat post above. Sorry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sisseton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in South Dako... (Oct '10) Jan '16 gi joe 12
News Police Still Looking for AJ Lufkins of Sisseton (May '10) Jun '15 TSI001 85
News Minnesota psychologist stripped of license for ... (Jun '15) Jun '15 HumanSpirit 2
News Sisseton Beating Suspect In Court (Jun '07) Jul '14 nitos mom 8
Sisseton and their blind eye towards Pedophiles (Jul '13) Apr '14 wake up people 3
News Man Wanted In Connection With Attempted Homicid... (Mar '14) Mar '14 afraidofthedarkinRC 1
News Nuns, priests accused of sexual abuse at Sisset... (Aug '10) Jan '14 chi red 7

Sisseton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sisseton Mortgages