Upstate SC Mommy

Greer, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Goddard does a lot of things right. The staff is caring, somehwat responsive, and for very small children and infants they can do really great. The problem is that they do not deliver what they advertise. The reason Goddard claims they are more expensive than other daycare providers is because they are a school and not just a daycare. This is just not true. While there is a curriculum that is presented every day, basic concepts such as color, number and letter recognition are often left behind (and if these concepts are actually introduced it is not done effectively). I recently heard about a 4 year old coming out of this program that did not know his colors, letters, or numbers. In addition, the program boasts a degreed teacher in every classroom. This is also not true - there is at least one teacher in every room with a certificate (which is much different from a degree). The facility is nice, but not as nice as other schools in the area that are similarly priced. Linens and meals are not included with tuition (standard at many other schools). Staff members are nice enough to families, but if you get to know them they will soon share that they are not always happy with the working conditions. Most would be appalled if they knew what the salaries here (I could not believe it when our favorite teacher shared how much she was paid per hour). The school is closed more often than other schools in the area (a full week at Christmas and a few days for Spring break + all major holidays - and yes, you still pay tuition even though your child cannot attend). Overall, this is a great day care, but not a school that would ever be taken seriously for academics. In my opinion, there are other schools in the area that provide a much greater value for the money.
bearingchick

Simpsonville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2013

Upstate SC Mommy wrote:
Goddard does a lot of things right. The staff is caring, somehwat responsive, and for very small children and infants they can do really great. The problem is that they do not deliver what they advertise. The reason Goddard claims they are more expensive than other daycare providers is because they are a school and not just a daycare. This is just not true. While there is a curriculum that is presented every day, basic concepts such as color, number and letter recognition are often left behind (and if these concepts are actually introduced it is not done effectively). I recently heard about a 4 year old coming out of this program that did not know his colors, letters, or numbers. In addition, the program boasts a degreed teacher in every classroom. This is also not true - there is at least one teacher in every room with a certificate (which is much different from a degree). The facility is nice, but not as nice as other schools in the area that are similarly priced. Linens and meals are not included with tuition (standard at many other schools). Staff members are nice enough to families, but if you get to know them they will soon share that they are not always happy with the working conditions. Most would be appalled if they knew what the salaries here (I could not believe it when our favorite teacher shared how much she was paid per hour). The school is closed more often than other schools in the area (a full week at Christmas and a few days for Spring break + all major holidays - and yes, you still pay tuition even though your child cannot attend). Overall, this is a great day care, but not a school that would ever be taken seriously for academics. In my opinion, there are other schools in the area that provide a much greater value for the money.
I'm not sure where you get your info, but my child has been going there for quite a while. He's not anywhere near 4 years old and knows and can read all his letters, numbers up to 25, knows all of his colors and shapes and so much more. Also every class he has been in has had one teacher that has at least a 4 year degree in education.

If the teachers there are so unhappy and don't make much money, how come there's almost zero turnover?

As for their schedule, they are closed one week at Christmas, ONE DAY for spring break, and 2 days at Christmas. Get your facts straight! I wouldn't send my child anywhere else!

When you post something that you "heard" that's not fact, it's hearsay. Your post is very misleading and could hurt a great business.
bearingchick

Simpsonville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2013

bearingchick wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not sure where you get your info, but my child has been going there for quite a while. He's not anywhere near 4 years old and knows and can read all his letters, numbers up to 25, knows all of his colors and shapes and so much more. Also every class he has been in has had one teacher that has at least a 4 year degree in education.

If the teachers there are so unhappy and don't make much money, how come there's almost zero turnover?

As for their schedule, they are closed one week at Christmas, ONE DAY for spring break, and 2 days at Christmas. Get your facts straight! I wouldn't send my child anywhere else!

When you post something that you "heard" that's not fact, it's hearsay. Your post is very misleading and could hurt a great business.
Meant to say 2 days at Thanksgiving.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Simpsonville Discussions

Search the Simpsonville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Sex 10 hr Chad 1
Review: Carolina Metal Detectors (Feb '10) 23 hr Metal Detector man 2
why don't white males date black women (Jul '12) Tue Oil man 43
William Harner - former Greenville superintendent Apr 15 Quakertown Parent 2
Debate: Marijuana - Greenville, SC (Aug '10) Apr 15 Oil man 140
Pastor accused of sexual conduct with girl at t... Apr 15 Dav 2
Who is the best family court lawyers in greenvi... (Feb '12) Apr 15 Ntime 7
•••
•••