Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1...

Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912?

There are 1076 comments on the politix.topix.com story from Aug 13, 2013, titled Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912?. In it, politix.topix.com reports that:

This exam was taken by middle schoolers in Bullitt County, Kentucky. The real test contained 58 questions and wasn't multiple choice.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at politix.topix.com.

Roy D

Anchorage, AK

#1854 Jun 27, 2014
RustyS wrote:
The real question is how far can we dumb down.
im pretty sure you guys can get stupedrrrrrrrrr
Roy D

Anchorage, AK

#1855 Jun 27, 2014
RustyS wrote:
The real question is how far can we dumb down.
sure glad today is 27/20014

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#1856 Jun 27, 2014
Libertarian wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one that does not know how to read the graph, nor understand who can and can't benefit from education.
33 percent of all people have an IQ of 92.5 or below. Round figure call it one third below 90.
An IQ of 90 is 25% percentile. You said there was a full third below 90. Unless 25%= 33%, your claim was BS.
Libertarian wrote:
In practical terms no one with an IQ below 100 is going to benefit from more than the most basic education - reading, writing, and simple arithmetic.
That's absurd. Half of people in the US can't benefit from education beyond middle school? I'd like to see your support for this claim.
Libertarian wrote:
That can be learned in 8 years of schooling. Teaching them beyond that level simply runs up against the ceiling of their ability to learn.
We're not asking every person in the US to learn differential equations and high level theoretical physics. High school provides a significant breadth of knowledge of history, civics, the sciences, literature, technology, economics, health, and many other areas.
Libertarian

Hopkinsville, KY

#1857 Jun 27, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
We're not asking every person in the US to learn differential equations and high level theoretical physics. High school provides a significant breadth of knowledge of history, civics, the sciences, literature, technology, economics, health, and many other areas.
I said it and I am sticking by it: Half of those who graduate from high school are incapable of benefiting from it. They are simply pushed through a fail proof system. If the system was truly competitive in that failure was allowed and failures were allowed to drop out or were put out of the system, then a high school diploma would have real value to those who get it. Now it is a meaningless piece of paper that says, "I sat in a classroom at taxpayers' expense for 12 years."

Your statement "High school provides a significant breadth of knowledge...." points up the major problem with the system: It is designed as a college preparatory curriculum, one size fits all no matter what their intellectual capability, personal inclination, or social status. People whose natural place is to be manual laborers do not benefit from such instruction and cannot comprehend it. All they need is basic reading, writing, and arithmetic. Then they need to be taught the manual skills and work ethic necessary for labor. History, civics, the sciences, literature, technology, economics, health, etc. is of no use or value to them. They do not comprehend it, and it is a waste of taxpayers' money trying to teach it.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#1858 Jun 27, 2014
Libertarian wrote:
<quoted text>
I said it and I am sticking by it: Half of those who graduate from high school are incapable of benefiting from it.
You can say it as much as you want; there's no reason to believe it's true.
Libertarian wrote:
They are simply pushed through a fail proof system. If the system was truly competitive in that failure was allowed and failures were allowed to drop out or were put out of the system, then a high school diploma would have real value to those who get it.
Failures are allowed to drop out. Around 8% of American kids drop out of high school.
Libertarian wrote:
Now it is a meaningless piece of paper that says, "I sat in a classroom at taxpayers' expense for 12 years."
No, it says that you have a basic set of knowledge and skills. Unless you're going to be a monkey in a factory putting nut A on bolt B, that's pretty useful.
Libertarian wrote:
Your statement "High school provides a significant breadth of knowledge...." points up the major problem with the system: It is designed as a college preparatory curriculum, one size fits all no matter what their intellectual capability, personal inclination, or social status.
Having a breadth of knowledge isn't only useful for college preparation. It produces well-rounded individuals.
Libertarian wrote:
People whose natural place is to be manual laborers do not benefit from such instruction and cannot comprehend it. All they need is basic reading, writing, and arithmetic. Then they need to be taught the manual skills and work ethic necessary for labor. History, civics, the sciences, literature, technology, economics, health, etc. is of no use or value to them. They do not comprehend it, and it is a waste of taxpayers' money trying to teach it.
Half the population can't comprehend health or basic economics or learn about history or enjoy reading or operate technology?
Retired Farmer

Hopkinsville, KY

#1860 Jun 27, 2014
I think I just accidentally discovered the model for society that the Libertarian and America's new Social Darwinist "Conservatives" would like the USA to follow. It is not a pretty one:

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articl...
Wow

Glasgow, KY

#1868 Jul 19, 2014
They actually had "8th grade" in 1912? I just kinda thought that after learning to read and write back then, the school part was over. Which is amazing, because to be honest I really think our culture has lost intelligence in recent years. Crazy thing is, people are "more educated" and less intelligent.
Libertarian

Paducah, KY

#1869 Jul 20, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>

<quoted text>
Failures are allowed to drop out. Around 8% of American kids drop out of high school.
<quoted text>
No, it says that you have a basic set of knowledge and skills. Unless you're going to be a monkey in a factory putting nut A on bolt B, that's pretty useful.
<quoted text>
Left to a process of natural selection the dropout rate would be at least 50 percent at the end of the 8th grade.

The trouble with our socio-economic structure is that we have ruined the natural laboring class by teaching them that they should not be "a monkey in a factory putting nut A on bolt B." That is in fact what nature has suited them to do. They are not suited for anything else.
Libertarian

Paducah, KY

#1870 Jul 20, 2014
There are 673,000 children enrolled in the public schools in Kentucky. The state spends $10,436 per year on each one of those children.

Of those 673,000 children, 57 percent, or 383,610 come from impoverished households, meaning that their parents pay nothing for their children's education. Kentucky taxpayers, most of who do not have children in the public schools, pay a staggering $4,003,353,960 to educate the children of people who pay no taxes!

Further, most of those who perform the lowest, are the most disruptive, and require the most in the way of expensive remedial and special education come from the ranks of the 57 percent whose parents pay nothing for their education.
clueless

Columbus, OH

#1881 Jul 25, 2014
My score said 75 lol but my key pad didn't comprehend 2 or 3 and put down the wrong answer. I put one answer but it comprehended the other one.
lol

London, KY

#1895 Jul 27, 2014
omg I just took it! It was really hard
Hasbro

Mayfield, KY

#1927 Aug 3, 2014
Retired Farmer wrote:
I think I just accidentally discovered the model for society that the Libertarian and America's new Social Darwinist "Conservatives" would like the USA to follow. It is not a pretty one:

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articl...
Actually, as a laissez-faire Social Darwinist, I would ask you what "is not pretty" about it??
rudy

United States

#1937 Aug 4, 2014
5 out of 4 people aren't good at fractions

Martin, KY

#1943 Aug 6, 2014
No
ky woman

Woodland, NC

#1944 Aug 6, 2014
It does not take much education learn read and write . People just need get L out there back bone get up off butts go work spell work . Work for food .
try

Hyden, KY

#1950 Aug 8, 2014
passing the collage test back in 1912.it had some the hardest questions on it you ever seen ,i don't think 1% of highly educated people could pass it today.the first question on it would fail 99% now days ,here the first question.Q how many ends does a stick of fire wood and a half have?
whizzer

Hopkinsville, KY

#1951 Aug 8, 2014
try wrote:
passing the collage test back in 1912.it had some the hardest questions on it you ever seen ,i don't think 1% of highly educated people could pass it today.the first question on it would fail 99% now days ,here the first question.Q how many ends does a stick of fire wood and a half have?
That was the test to graduate from 8th grade. The college admission test asked the questions in Latin.
MrFISHroy

Madisonville, KY

#1953 Aug 8, 2014
Nobody even knows a stick of firewood is not just one piece?
Lol

Martin, KY

#1954 Aug 8, 2014
Each stick has two sides
MrFISHroy

Madisonville, KY

#1955 Aug 8, 2014
A stick in firewood talk is more than one piece.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Simpsonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
cardinal aluminum preston hwy. christian vause 3 min wacked sam 1
Last Post Wins (Mar '11) 1 hr _FLATLINE-------- 9,110
Glenview Park Subdivision (Apr '12) 1 hr Pen 39
R.I.P. Dustin Osbourne 1 hr WTF 4
Anyone work at Faurecia Jun 19 JoJacksonstr8Mackin 7
Simpsonville automotive May '16 Thou shall not steal 1
News Job Corps is worth a second look (Mar '09) May '16 whowantstokissmyasz 599
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Simpsonville Mortgages