Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1...

Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912?

There are 1076 comments on the politix.topix.com story from Aug 13, 2013, titled Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912?. In it, politix.topix.com reports that:

This exam was taken by middle schoolers in Bullitt County, Kentucky. The real test contained 58 questions and wasn't multiple choice.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at politix.topix.com.

Opie

United States

#1484 Feb 1, 2014
This would likely be a difficult high school test in this day and time. The bad part is the knowledge needed for passing that test is basic need to know stuff. Are we teaching that?
JUSTICE

New Tazewell, TN

#1485 Feb 1, 2014
YES
Older than dirt

Cub Run, KY

#1486 Feb 1, 2014
Count me out
Jake

Montréal, Canada

#1488 Feb 1, 2014
Yes
Historian

Cadiz, KY

#1489 Feb 1, 2014
Opie wrote:
This would likely be a difficult high school test in this day and time. The bad part is the knowledge needed for passing that test is basic need to know stuff. Are we teaching that?
Actually, a lot of what you need to pass it is not "basic need to know stuff" in today's world. A lot of it has to do with agriculture, things like systems of measure, that are now obsolete.
nope

Glasgow, KY

#1490 Feb 1, 2014
Historian wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, a lot of what you need to pass it is not "basic need to know stuff" in today's world. A lot of it has to do with agriculture, things like systems of measure, that are now obsolete.
I think you'd be right. Some of it would be obsolete now but some of it our schools could do better. I've hired young people in our business who can't even make change for a simple cash purchase. Some aren't sure how to fill out a check. It's sad.
untelling

United States

#1492 Feb 2, 2014
Doubt it
Historian

Cadiz, KY

#1493 Feb 2, 2014
nope wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you'd be right. Some of it would be obsolete now but some of it our schools could do better. I've hired young people in our business who can't even make change for a simple cash purchase. Some aren't sure how to fill out a check. It's sad.
True, sort of. Many young people today don't know how to make change. But they do know how to operate the computerized cash register that figures it for them -- something that in the past was not necessary to know. It is the same with writing checks. Some people do all of their bill paying online now. We are moving from one kind of "basic" knowledge to another kind. Schools do and should concentrate on the newer, more relevant knowledge.

It has happened throughout human history. After people learned to make bronze weapons and tools, they forgot how to knap flint or chert and make stone ones. Then came iron and the stone age "basic" knowledge slipped totally out of human consciousness. It went so far that by the time of Columbus, people thought that the stone projectile points that they found in Europe were what was left behind after a lightning bolt struck the ground. Not until after Europeans saw Native Americans making similar stone points did it dawn on them that there had been a prehistoric Stone Age in Europe.
Your Opinion

Glasgow, KY

#1497 Feb 6, 2014
The man that invented the moon rover had a fourth grade education so tell me what education is the best common sense or political correctness the best people I have ever had working for me could not spell there name correct all the time and they were trust worthy and well liked. Mark Twain once said I try not to let my schooling get in the way of my education, sounds like good advice to me there are so many young people getting brainwashed in in school today they can't even reason with themselves ( Home school would help the American people and save money because only 3% are getting the attention they need ) My son was taking 400 classes his 2nd year of college making A's and was told if he didn't change his political views he would fail that class now he is a demwit . is the purpose of school the purpose he needs.
justa good ole boys

United States

#1499 Feb 6, 2014
Best to have good ole common sense.
Historian

Crofton, KY

#1500 Feb 7, 2014
Your Opinion wrote:
the best people I have ever had working for me could not spell there name correct all the time and they were trust worthy and well liked. Mark Twain once said I try not to let my schooling get in the way of my education...
Your lack of education is obvious in your misuse of the English language. The correct word in "could not spell there name" is their, not there. In the phrase "they were trust worthy" the correct trustworthy, one word, not two. Although it is not as big a defect, the phrase "name correct" is more properly said "name correctly."

Go back to school and take a 5th grade English class!
Historian

Crofton, KY

#1501 Feb 7, 2014
justa good ole boys wrote:
Best to have good ole common sense.
"Good ole common sense" told people that the earth was flat. It took some real thinking and experimentation to prove that it was not. And even after the proof available, a huge number of people refused to believe it because, well, it just went against common sense.
did u know

Union City, TN

#1502 Feb 7, 2014
Probably "not"
down to earth

Madisonville, KY

#1503 Feb 7, 2014
I'm not to good in History

“Yes”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#1505 Feb 8, 2014
YES!
Randy Orten

London, KY

#1506 Feb 8, 2014
Daniel-Bryan wrote:
YES!
''NO NO NO''
smart

Hindman, KY

#1507 Feb 8, 2014
Yes
Educated

United States

#1509 Feb 9, 2014
I got my masters 3 years ago. I'm positive I can ace that test.
Historian

Hopkinsville, KY

#1510 Feb 9, 2014
I know a PhD in psychology. He flunked the math and civics parts of it.

Since: Oct 13

United States

#1514 Feb 10, 2014
I think we need to bring religion back into schools

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Simpsonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What gets you sexually charged? 13 min Anonymous 11
Probation and parole drug testing 2 hr HELLROD85 2
Does anyone know a cracked dealer named Tosha 6 hr Lil honey 1
Who farted 6 hr Cave dweller 1
Confidential informants? 6 hr Big Rat 5
Shelly Lewis 6 hr Sthompson 8
I asked where you got your hat 7 hr You are her 5

Simpsonville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance