Teens arraigned for Sellersburg man's murder

Mar 22, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WHAS11

Prosecutors say two teens, Garreth Stephens and Christopher Jared Sowder, murdered 47-year-old Stephen Baldwin in the course of a burglary plot that was weeks in the planning.

Comments
1 - 20 of 32 Comments Last updated Aug 19, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Greg Wright

Duluth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Wouldn't be surprised, if they are found not guilty.
get real fool

Charlestown, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

Judged:

How do you figure that Greg? They have a ton of evidence, everything from friends that they tried to coax into joining them, cell phone text messages plotting the crime and a confession to a friend after the fact. Those are the reasons that the prosecutor has them being held without bond. I think due to their age they will not face the death penalty, but they are going down for this.
Greg Wright

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

Judged:

Yes that is some ok evidence, but not enough to convict someone of a crime. Sellersburg is a small town, and it's easy to get everyone believing the gossip. I find it weird that the stepson claims to have known the suspects were planning to burglarize his home but never reported it to his parents. Then you have to ask questions like, where is the murder weapon? Where is an eye witness or DNA placing them at the crime? I don't think text msgs alone, and a statement from someone, who is probably friends with the victim will be enough.
get real fool

Charlestown, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

Judged:

"LOUISVILLE, KY.(WDRB)-- The wife of a Sellersburg man shot dead during a home invasion says she's relieved that the suspects are in custody.

The two Borden, Ind. teenagers made their first court appearance Friday morning. Nineteen-year-old Garreth Stephens and 18-year-old Jared Sowders are charged with murdering Steven Baldwin as they burglarized his home. Police believe Sowders was the triggerman.

Baldwin's widow said the killers robbed her of her best friend.

"I'm so relieved that these murderers were caught, and they're not going to be able to kill anybody else," said Melanie Coghill.

Investigators say Garreth Stephens and Jared Sowders had been boasting to friends about the crime.

According to court documents, Sowders, told a friend, "I did something crazy. Did you hear what happened in Sellersburg? Yeah, dude. I shot him."

Authorities say tips from the public helped crack the case.

"Our prayers were answered. And I'd like to thank the prosecutor and the detectives that worked so hard," said Coghill.

Investigators say Sowders orchestrated the plan. He and Stephens believed that Baldwin's step-son, Blake Glaab, had stashed thousands of dollars in cash in the home.

The suspects allegedly exchanged text messages detailing their plan to rob the home, using a gun, ski masks, bags and zip ties.

Police say the two apparently believed no one would be home, but were surprised to find Baldwin, and shot him.

"This was a cold, bold crime. This individual who was shot did not deserve what happened to him," said Jeremy Mull, Clark County's chief deputy prosecutor.

Baldwin's widow, Melanie Coghill, says her stepson used to be friends with Sowders, until he began to get into trouble.

"He had been in our home a few years ago, when the boys were a little more innocent. But as time went on and the boy became a little more in trouble, they went their separate ways," said Coghill.

Coghill says she always suspected there was more than one person involved in the murder. She says her husband was a big man, expert in martial arts. She believes he may have been caught by surprise.

"Even if he saw the boys, he may not have known he had a gun. But I know my husband, and he went after them like a bull. He probably just immediately started saying,'What are you doing in my house?' Because my husband was a tough guy, very protective."

Members of the Stephens and Sowders families would not comment outside the courtroom on Friday. But Sowders' attorney described his family as "devastated."

"They're really upset, of course. It's their son. He's young. It's a serious charge," said attorney Perry McCall

Meanwhile, Coghill is left to treasure the photographs she and Baldwin had done the day before he was killed.

"He was my best friend. And I know I'll see him again someday. He was my best friend," she said.

Both suspects face charges of murder and burglary. They're being held without bond."

They are going to get the max sentence. Believe whatever you want dude.
Real

New Albany, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Well we will see what evidence cause right now is he said she said. I think this is an inside crime. Ms Coghill brother kill him, Ms Coghill and her son are in it too. Check their finance and status!!!!!!!!!!
Real

New Albany, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

WOW, she looses her husband March 11 and is on facebook March 12. Also on TV and No tears??????
I lost my husband and i was so devastated, I didn't see or talk to anyone for weeks!!!!!! Just Saying!!
get real fool

Charlestown, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

Real wrote:
Well we will see what evidence cause right now is he said she said. I think this is an inside crime. Ms Coghill brother kill him, Ms Coghill and her son are in it too. Check their finance and status!!!!!!!!!!
Text messages plotting the crime are hardy "he said, she said". Are you an idiot?
Real

New Albany, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

Get your story right!!!!! There is no messages!!!
Believe, I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!
My Opinion

Clarksville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

How do you explain the text from one of the teens where he said he shot a guy? That fabricated also? The Phone company was ordered to release those texts so how could you not believe that? Just curious. Apparently he thought he was a tough guy and wanted someone else know that he shot a guy.. Not too smart uh? I believe they arrested the right ones and they are where they need to be.
Real

New Albany, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Wellall I'm Going to say is, you will see they got the wrong ones!
My Opinion

Clarksville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Alrighty then. Any idea on when they will arrest the right person?
Real

New Albany, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Soon!!!!!!!!!! Happy Easter!!
get real fool

Charlestown, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

The got the right ones. There are text messages linking the two arrested to the crimes. "Real" is just acting like a know it all. A know nothing in real life though.
My Opinion

Clarksville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Hope you have a "Real" Good Easter as well :)
Looks like it didnt happen today.... Well there's always tomorrow isn't there?
Real

New Albany, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

"get it fool" God Bless you!!! i don't know it all but they are not the ones that kill him!!! Sorry!! Just wait and see!!'my opinon" I HOPE YOU all have a REAL HAPPY EASTER!!!
My Opinion

Clarksville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

You seem to know alot about the case. Maybe you should be speaking with law enforcement to help the two men that are wrongly accused. And thank you, I had a wonderful blessed Easter. Especially knowing that there are 2 less dangerous thugs off the streets.
Real

New Albany, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

There are a lot of thugs off the streets and lots off innocent people in jail, but no worry, the real killer doesn't want you, just the money they are getting. lossing their job, deep in depth!!
postup

Plainfield, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Real, please practice your spelling and sentence structure, you kind of come off as an emotional person that can't talk or spell. It's hard to take you very seriously, when you ramble incoherently.
My Opinion

Clarksville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Real wrote:
Get your story right!!!!! There is no messages!!!
Believe, I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!
If you know as you claim, once again why are you not working with law enforcement to help free the wrongly accused?
Real

New Albany, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Postup and My Opinion, you both so sweet!!!!****
Worry about my spelling??????????Ahh...talk or spell???
Feel so sorry for you!!! Ramble????? Incherently??????You don't really know what I'm doing or not doing!!!
But once again you can judge can I really don't care what you have to say about me!!! bla,bla,bla????
Get a LIFE!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Simpsonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 5 min Yoda-byte-me 1,031
Best All-Star SC baseball team 14 min ball is life 2
tabbitha jones (Nov '12) 1 hr Tabs beautiful 7
What attorney is the biggest a--hole in Louisvi... (Sep '12) 1 hr Sick 19
austin scrappy trent 1 hr missy 1
Mitch McConnell 2 hr ADHD 358
Culvers simpsonville 2 hr isaidit 7

Search the Simpsonville Forum:
•••
•••