Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81676 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#95626 Jan 25, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I noticed that in the Topix News forum lists at the top of this thing, that "crime" is directly above "dating". That makes me wonder if it is a crime if you do, or a crime if you don't. hehehehe
Arrest me AW!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95627 Jan 25, 2014
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
Arrest me AW!
But after I handcuff you, what then? lol
Anne

Versailles, IN

#95630 Jan 25, 2014
What a cold, unforgiving day! The electricity was off in the entire neighborhood for a couple of hours because a tree fell across the electric line. First thing I did when it came back on was slide some cookies in the oven. They were good! Y. We need to find a better emergency heat than those old kerosene heaters so I guess I will deal with that this week. Total electric here....any ideas? We've thought about a generator --big enough to run an electric blanket anyway! Lol
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#95632 Jan 25, 2014
@Anne--I don't have Central heat and air, but I have electric baseboard heat that I use sparingly backed up by my wood burning heat stove that has a flat top for cooking and I have my Mom's old kerosene lamps filled with lamp oil and the wicks properly trimmed along with 4 of her iron skillets, an iron griddle, and a dutch oven..

Living in the boondocks, I have power outtages quite often when it is too hot for the wood burner and too windy to be out on my deck with the gas grill. I have been giving serious consideration to changing my kitchen range out to gas with a couple of the upright propane tanks just outside my kitchen window so I can keep on cooking.

I have a friend that still has an electric range in her kitchen, but has a separate small cottage with a propane range for canning and emergencies, I think that is a good idea too since it keeps the excess heat out of the house during canning season. I suppose that idea came from the old days when there was no electric and the kitchen was not even a part of the main house.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#95633 Jan 25, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Anne--I don't have Central heat and air, but I have electric baseboard heat that I use sparingly backed up by my wood burning heat stove that has a flat top for cooking and I have my Mom's old kerosene lamps filled with lamp oil and the wicks properly trimmed along with 4 of her iron skillets, an iron griddle, and a dutch oven..

Living in the boondocks, I have power outtages quite often when it is too hot for the wood burner and too windy to be out on my deck with the gas grill. I have been giving serious consideration to changing my kitchen range out to gas with a couple of the upright propane tanks just outside my kitchen window so I can keep on cooking.

I have a friend that still has an electric range in her kitchen, but has a separate small cottage with a propane range for canning and emergencies, I think that is a good idea too since it keeps the excess heat out of the house during canning season. I suppose that idea came from the old days when there was no electric and the kitchen was not even a part of the main house.
Cajuns have those too. They call them outdoor kitchens. The men will go out there and cook their gumbo and such.
It was a new concept to me , but many many had them
Sometimer

United States

#95634 Jan 26, 2014
Anne wrote:
I was a chicken herder UNTIL the ladies got into my flower bed! Now my americuan ladies are confined to the coop and the pen. Last summer I was getting variations of blue, green and pink eggs. I'm keeping a heat lamp directed at their water during this cold so that helps to keep them warmer also. Makes my electric bill higher though!
Your chickens????
This fracking thing. I sure dont know the answers but I do know for an absolute fact that those water trucks run all day and all night. Yes they certainly do. And if your apartment happens to be at a highway crossroads and your bed is less than 10 feet from one road and about 20 feet from the other road then you know those water trucks ( for fracking) run 24/6. Sometimes 24/7. That is a certain fact. Also, there's no good reason to hit those air brakes at 2am. Lol. It was an up close and personal issue with me. Lol
I find it very interesting that your bed happens to be slow close to that hwy hearing those air brakes. Almost as interesting as your chicken coop being merely 50 feet away from your house with the garden hose almost reaching. So let me get this straight you are 61 years of age,but yet you have little ones at home? Very interesting to me I could almost swear your my neighbor. Most likely not though because you sound like a really nice lady and my neighbor is a hateful bipolar, crazy, lying person and that doesn't seen to fit with you . You always have very interesting tales with lots and lots of stories.. I guess you can call them that. Have a wonderful day and take care of that swing shift working hubby! Soon we'll all be " Whitehaired". Gotta run for now my beans are starting to boil over. God bless all of you wonderful wise telling individuals.
Anne

Paris, TN

#95635 Jan 26, 2014
Sometimer wrote:
<quoted text>I find it very interesting that your bed happens to be slow close to that hwy hearing those air brakes. Almost as interesting as your chicken coop being merely 50 feet away from your house with the garden hose almost reaching. So let me get this straight you are 61 years of age,but yet you have little ones at home? Very interesting to me I could almost swear your my neighbor. Most likely not though because you sound like a really nice lady and my neighbor is a hateful bipolar, crazy, lying person and that doesn't seen to fit with you . You always have very interesting tales with lots and lots of stories.. I guess you can call them that. Have a wonderful day and take care of that swing shift working hubby! Soon we'll all be " Whitehaired". Gotta run for now my beans are starting to boil over. God bless all of you wonderful wise telling individuals.
Lol. You sure are up early cooking those beans! Home cooked beans are so much better than those out-of-the-can!
I guess my stories do sound conflicting. Better halfs job was 800 miles away and that requires another living arrangement. The campground was a 40 minute drive and when an apartment 2 miles from the office became available, well, he took it. It was, obviously, next to the road but the water trucks, 24/7, were a big surprise! lol. Our permanent home is out in the boonies, not as far out as AW but complete with 4 hens, 2 outdoor cats and a dog, 2 (grand)kids and 2 neighbors-- my sisters house, and a bald guy. At this point in time I'm not bipolar and not a lying woman but I think I may be a little crazy, maybe a lot-- depending on who you ask! Lol but, psst,*whisper* that part about "whitehair"? they sell stuff at Walmart to take care of that ... Lol

Look at that sun!! Beautiful! Hope everyone has the best Sunday ever!!
Anne

Paris, TN

#95636 Jan 26, 2014
@MissE &AW. I like the idea of a summer kitchen and using propane as the cooking and heat source. That's a good possibility. Our house is pretty tight and open flame requires oxygen so we have to allow for that. An outdoor wood burner? Still need electric for the blower. So radiant heat is good. Another possibility is to set up a corner in the garage with all the non electric amenities--as long as it has a flush toilet! No "P" trees for me! Lol
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#95637 Jan 26, 2014
Anne wrote:
@MissE &AW. I like the idea of a summer kitchen and using propane as the cooking and heat source. That's a good possibility. Our house is pretty tight and open flame requires oxygen so we have to allow for that. An outdoor wood burner? Still need electric for the blower. So radiant heat is good. Another possibility is to set up a corner in the garage with all the non electric amenities--as long as it has a flush toilet! No "P" trees for me! Lol
For emergency use, you can always take an old straight back chair and cut a hole in the bottom and attach a toilet seat and put a 5 gallon bucket under it making a homemade porta-potty. Manual flush at the tree would be better than a squat. The garage corner would be best for a propane range and you would not have to worry so much about venting the thing unless you planned to use it extensively for canning and such.

I have been thinking more along the lines of changing my deck and adding a gazebo to part of it and a mud room for the rest. A place for my muddy boots and such. Instead of a propane range, I would just equip the mud room with a Coleman Lantern and Coleman camp stove.
Anne

Paris, TN

#95638 Jan 26, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>For emergency use, you can always take an old straight back chair and cut a hole in the bottom and attach a toilet seat and put a 5 gallon bucket under it making a homemade porta-potty. Manual flush at the tree would be better than a squat..
...and that pile of red and white corncobs you and Mississippi Man are sending UPS! Lol

Those ideas you gave, well, I'll put them in my thinking cap and see how my circumstances play out.. Thanks.
Oh, ho! Better half just informed me that there's a couple new-in-the-box ventless wall heaters in our barn stash. See, circumstances are starting to come onto play already...!
Wow

Martin, KY

#95639 Jan 26, 2014
Scary
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#95646 Jan 26, 2014
This rotten thread will not take a longer post from me so I'll chop it in two and try. That's the 2 nd time and......so aggrivating,....had plenty of character left too!
But speaking of different things to eat, has anyone had "mountain oysters?" As a teenager I worked 99% of the time on a hog farm and did everything possible.....and impossible! One of the "duties" was my brother and I would catch the bore porkers by the hind legs, hoist him up with his belly to the front and the farmer sitting there would use a razor-like tool and ...".WHACK....WHACK" , apply a little pressure and the "oysters" would pop out. After cutting the strings, they were tossed into a bucket of salted water. It was hard work but at the end of the day we had enough meat for 6 - 8 families. Mom would clean the outer skin off and put them in fresh salt water and refrigerate. The next night, she'd slice them up, bread and fry them. Some kinda good if they're fixed right but tough as shoe leather if not.
Anne

Paris, TN

#95649 Jan 26, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
This rotten thread will not take a longer post from me so I'll chop it in two and try. That's the 2 nd time and......so aggrivating,....had plenty of character left too!
But speaking of different things to eat, has anyone had "mountain oysters?" As a teenager I worked 99% of the time on a hog farm and did everything possible.....and impossible! One of the "duties" was my brother and I would catch the bore porkers by the hind legs, hoist him up with his belly to the front and the farmer sitting there would use a razor-like tool and ...".WHACK....WHACK" , apply a little pressure and the "oysters" would pop out. After cutting the strings, they were tossed into a bucket of salted water. It was hard work but at the end of the day we had enough meat for 6 - 8 families. Mom would clean the outer skin off and put them in fresh salt water and refrigerate. The next night, she'd slice them up, bread and fry them. Some kinda good if they're fixed right but tough as shoe leather if not.
No thank you.. That's one bowl I'll pass on to the next person.
I've heard they're good but I'll just take your word on that.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#95650 Jan 26, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
Yes, I have had those as well as Lamb fries which followed the same process. What many people do not know, if a boar hog is left to mature for reproduction purposes it is useless to butcher the hog later on. You can't stay in the house with the meat cooking. The aroma is awful.... even the hams. Also there was a paint bucket of some kind of purple glue type medication with a paint stir stick in the bucket. After the "oysters" were popped, the glue was slapped on the cut. That bucket always hung in the barn and was also used any time a human or any other animal got a bad cut.

Hog butchering was another one of those "impossibles". Besides tending the cauldiron fire for cleaning the hog and for rendering lard or staying up all night cranking that hand sausage grinder, my worst impossible was washing the guts out in the creek and cutting into one foot long sections and boiling them for sausage sacks. Have you ever had cracklin (ground up pork rinds from rendering lard) corn bread? or souse? or brains and eggs? or tongue?... nothing was wasted except for the squeal.
idk

United States

#95651 Jan 26, 2014
Maybe these creature deaths are the results of whatever is in the chemtrails that they are spraying out of all these airplanes.
Yuppp

Ecorse, MI

#95652 Jan 27, 2014
The USDA has just admitted to the poisoning of all the birds so there you go
boom

Scottsburg, IN

#95654 Jan 27, 2014
"An American Nuclear Tragedy: A Little Known Nuclear Facility in Paducah Kentucky"
http://m.youtube.com/watch...
Now (I'm pretty sure) this place is closed and they have no idea what to do with the barrels and barrels of nuclear waste. Great idea to have such a place within 75 miles of a major earthquake fault line. Back in the 70's officials from the school board would go school to school and personally ask each class if they had a parent that worked at this place or other nearby places. Now I really wonder why they asked. I guess they were watching to see if the students were going to drop dead too.
birdy

Mckee, KY

#95656 Jan 27, 2014
Well
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#95657 Jan 27, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text> Have you ever had cracklin (ground up pork rinds from rendering lard) corn bread? or souse? or brains and eggs? or tongue?... nothing was wasted except for the squeal.
Is what you're calling cracklin the same as chitlins down here? Haven't tried it but only because I've not come across it, same for tongue. Souse,.....I didn't care for because parts of it were slimy and gristly. But brains and eggs, yes, you bet. Used to be an every Christmas morning breakfast treat with this family I knew.
Anne

Paris, TN

#95658 Jan 27, 2014
A long day in my neck of the woods! Better half has come down with a nasty cold and I have a feeling its headed my way :-(
Sooo exciting around here as I've been cleaning cabinets (lol) and now I have a trunk load of stuff to donate to the thrift store.
@AW. Many years ago I did eat some souse and some scrambled eggs /brains. Couldn't even try it now. Craziest thing I EVER cooked was raccoon stew and I guarantee that was a one shot deal! They told me it was really good!! Heeheehee

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Simpsonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
grow up 55 min jeremy 3
Who was the three people that OD'd? 3 hr jeremy 6
Last Post Wins (Mar '11) 4 hr -Prince- 9,114
News Muhammad Ali's hometown of Louisville remembers... 8 hr ThomasA 83
Anyone work at Faurecia Jun 19 JoJacksonstr8Mackin 7
Simpsonville automotive May '16 Thou shall not steal 1
News Job Corps is worth a second look (Mar '09) May '16 whowantstokissmyasz 599

Simpsonville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance