Thousands still without power; winds ...

Thousands still without power; winds blamed for Kentucky boy's death

There are 38 comments on the Courierpress.com story from Sep 15, 2008, titled Thousands still without power; winds blamed for Kentucky boy's death. In it, Courierpress.com reports that:

Strong winds from the storm that began as Hurricane Ike brought down power lines and tree limbs in a broad swath up the Ohio Valley Sunday, hitting Kentucky hard.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Courierpress.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Sep 08

KENTUCKY

#21 Sep 18, 2008
By age 5 those Mennonite and Amish kids can build a home and run a farm on their own...they sure are little workers.

“Howdy”

Since: Dec 06

Paris, TN

#23 Sep 18, 2008
jill spears wrote:
By age 5 those Mennonite and Amish kids can build a home and run a farm on their own...they sure are little workers.
I never hear of the Mennonites getting into trouble around here.
But I did hear two things when I first moved here in 1992. Never approach Hank Williams Jr. and that the Mennonites are land hungry.
I have had some heated words with this one Mennonite over my land.

Since: Sep 08

KENTUCKY

#24 Sep 19, 2008
I know where I live the few Mennonites that are in the area own a large portion of the land, the Amish own most of what they don't...lol.
I don't personally know any of the Mennonites, but the Amish family that runs a fruit/vegetable/plant business down the road from me are awfully nice people.

Why aren't ya supposed to approach Hank Jr? Nasty personality? I'm not a big fan anyway...I am far more into his daddy's music...Sr. was fantastic. People tell me I'm too young to listen to the music that I do...I like everything from Bluegrass to Classical to Indie to Metal (not the screaming stuff tho...eeks). I've just turned 30, I figure that's nearly old enough to listen to whatever I want...lol.

“Howdy”

Since: Dec 06

Paris, TN

#25 Sep 20, 2008
jill spears wrote:
Why aren't ya supposed to approach Hank Jr? Nasty personality? I'm not a big fan anyway...I am far more into his daddy's music...Sr. was fantastic. People tell me I'm too young to listen to the music that I do...I like everything from Bluegrass to Classical to Indie to Metal (not the screaming stuff tho...eeks). I've just turned 30, I figure that's nearly old enough to listen to whatever I want...lol.
He lives in my area and used to see him at a restaurant my wife worked at. He was nice to my wife since she was his waitress but she did not particularly care for his manager Merle Gilgore before he died.
Hank, his wife, and two little kids were in front of the restaurant but my wife told me to not approach him because he did not like that. The restaurant was packed on a Saturday night.
I worked full time during the day and worked part-time as a bus boy helping my wife at nights.
Anyways, I noticed people glanced at Hank but quickly ignored him and went on eating.
But after Hank's wife (now his ex-wife) paid for the meal she and the two little kids went out the door. Hank stood at the door with back to all of us but he turned around with a big smile but all the people continued to ignore him and he turned back around with a mad look on his face and went thru the door.
Another time I was eating breakfast at the restaurant and it was just me, Hank, Merle Gilgore and some other man. Hank came out of the restroom with his sunglasses on and I looked at him when he walked by and he gave me a go-to-hell look. Not too friendly. I guess I don't make enough money for him to talk to me.
If it wasn't for his daddy he would not be shit.
I do own some Justin cowboy boots that came out of Hank's home.
I heard rumors that Kid Rock built himself a mansion just about fifteen minutes from my home. I don't know if this is true or not.

“Howdy”

Since: Dec 06

Paris, TN

#26 Sep 20, 2008
jill spears wrote:
Why aren't ya supposed to approach Hank Jr?
I heard this story from a man who's very young son approached him at a gas station to get his autograph and Hank told him to get the hell away from him.
He was always nice to my wife, she got his autograph at the restaurant on a paper napkin.

“Howdy”

Since: Dec 06

Paris, TN

#27 Sep 20, 2008
jill spears wrote:
I know where I live the few Mennonites that are in the area own a large portion of the land, the Amish own most of what they don't...lol.
I don't personally know any of the Mennonites, but the Amish family that runs a fruit/vegetable/plant business down the road from me are awfully nice people.
The Mennonites here are changing the color of their clothes and vehicles. It used to be black vehicles now they were either brown or white. I noticed a Mennonite man and his kids at Walmart today wearing almost purple shirts.
But I just had problems with one Mennonite when he wanted my land. I was just renting at the time and he stopped by and told me to move out very rudely because he was buying the land all up. I told him to get off my land. He did not know that the man I was renting from is my wife's cousin and he gave us a good deal on it on buying.
I was a month late on paying my last property tax and lo and behold the same Mennonite stopped and asked me if I was ready to sell. I again told him to get off my property. What is he doing, going down to the tax accessor's office and looking at properties that the taxes haven't been paid yet?
The old saying around here is they don't make land anymore, it's getting very scarce.

“Howdy”

Since: Dec 06

Paris, TN

#28 Sep 20, 2008
jill spears wrote:
I know where I live the few Mennonites that are in the area own a large portion of the land, the Amish own most of what they don't...lol.
I don't personally know any of the Mennonites, but the Amish family that runs a fruit/vegetable/plant business down the road from me are awfully nice people.
And when that one Mennonite told me to move out and I said no he asked me if I knew what he was. I said yes, you're a Mennonite now get the hell off my property.

Since: Sep 08

KENTUCKY

#29 Sep 20, 2008
Maybe this guy is Mennonite Mafia...lol

Since: Sep 08

KENTUCKY

#30 Sep 20, 2008
Sounds like Hank turned out to be nothing like his dad. I remember my grandfather telling about seeing him out in a diner and he talked to him for a long time. Not famous, but my grandfather was from the same area Bill Monroe was from and he played music. Bill Monroe is famous as 'the father of Bluegrass Music'...I guess maybe it was common ground? Who knows...It was my grandfather that actually ended the conversation because he had to be somewhere. I guess the only thing that Jr. & Sr. have in common is they both liked to eat...lol.

“Howdy”

Since: Dec 06

Paris, TN

#31 Sep 20, 2008
jill spears wrote:
Maybe this guy is Mennonite Mafia...lol
A closed society unless they want societies money like in their meat processing buisness or the big tractor or riding mower repair buisness.
One time I helped a Mennonite family repair their home and when the father went to do something in town the mother and daughter came in where I was working and they both had hair down about a half inch from the floor. They pile it up under the bonnetts. I'm seeing more and more of the Mennonite men here not wearing hats. In the past they did and when they took them off they were usually bald. A black felt hat with no ventilation must have destroyed their hair.
I'm off here, got to go to work.

“Howdy”

Since: Dec 06

Paris, TN

#32 Sep 20, 2008
jill spears wrote:
Sounds like Hank turned out to be nothing like his dad.
What I was told was when Hank did some singing here the audience booed him because he was too drunk to sing. After that he had attitude towards my town.
Just what I'm told, don't know if it's true or not. He had a very large kind of like a bar called Bocephus or something like that here but closed down long ago.
Good gravy, I'm late for work, quit responding so I can get out of here, LOL.

Since: Sep 08

KENTUCKY

#33 Sep 20, 2008
Good luck with taht repair job...talk laters...lol
SNJ

Alta, Norway

#34 Sep 20, 2008
Rockytopzz wrote:
<quoted text>The Mennonites here are changing the color of their clothes and vehicles. It used to be black vehicles now they were either brown or white. I noticed a Mennonite man and his kids at Walmart today wearing almost purple shirts.
But I just had problems with one Mennonite when he wanted my land. I was just renting at the time and he stopped by and told me to move out very rudely because he was buying the land all up. I told him to get off my land. He did not know that the man I was renting from is my wife's cousin and he gave us a good deal on it on buying.
I was a month late on paying my last property tax and lo and behold the same Mennonite stopped and asked me if I was ready to sell. I again told him to get off my property. What is he doing, going down to the tax accessor's office and looking at properties that the taxes haven't been paid yet?
The old saying around here is they don't make land anymore, it's getting very scarce.
Money and religion = like brother and sister...

Since: Sep 08

KENTUCKY

#35 Sep 20, 2008
Are you saying with religion you aquire money?
SNJ, I may just rethink my religious view and join something, if that't the case! lol
whitehair

Louisville, KY

#36 Sep 23, 2008
We live not too far from where this little boy was killed.We heard the ambulance and the fire dept.go by .It was so quite and then suddenly the wind became fierce.So the family was probably caught so suddenly there was no warning it was upon them.The Grandfather was a farm and garden tv and radio personality ,a favorite with my family.

We express our sympathy and condolences to the family.
whitehair

Louisville, KY

#37 Sep 23, 2008
Could it be possible the Louisville area is still without power because---E-On or known as LG&E has out sourced so much of their repair crews??? Most any you see has Contractor on the trucks.

Since: Sep 08

KENTUCKY

#38 Sep 23, 2008
Parts of Owensboro are still without power as well.
Go Dragons

Clarkson, KY

#40 Sep 29, 2008
JUGNUTS wrote:
yep, its ruff in the real world
So,how many different forums do you post at JUGNUTS?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Simpsonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
how to get out of paying child support 3 hr MarkVest_ 3
Bethaney McMichael "Scrogham" (Sep '16) 3 hr Anonymous 12
Austin Bynum (Jul '14) 5 hr MarkVest_ 9
Finally!! 8 hr holly 11
Perry Shananaquet (Dec '10) 11 hr Faye 3
Anyone know Bridgette Sims?? 14 hr top1percent 18
Jennifer Travis 18 hr Her old friend 2

Simpsonville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Simpsonville Mortgages