Why Does John Travolta Live in Ocala, Fla.?

Jan 7, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: E! Online - Celebrity News

Like most giant stars, John Travolta actually has a few houses, including one in the equally unlikely state of Maine.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of52
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
just another guy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2010

Judged:

He lives in the Ocala area for the same reason most of you live where you do......because he wants to. Why is this such a major topic of discussion? Just leave him alone like he leaves you alone......
stand up guy

Ocala, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2010

well I'm glad he is here, I live down the road from him in oak
Resident

Cedar Key, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2010

Judged:

not raw meat wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly, Easy Answer. Plus extremely low property taxes and I think, no state tax. Also, Ocala is a mid-sized, manageable city that is off the beaten track (away from the east coast, located halfway between Orlando and Tampa), thus assuring more privacy and lots of moderately priced land (probably previously grazing land for livestock) available for development, and with decent winter weather for flying. Also, Ocala, until now, has been relatively unaware, uninformed, or unconcerned with scientology and so there was little anti-scientology sentiment before they moved there. But the biggest reason is probably proximity to the Clearwater headquarters of scientology.
Extremely low property taxes ? You have to be kidding ! Marion County is one of the highest in the state !!!!
Ex Resident Also

Cedar Key, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2010

Ex Ocala resident wrote:
Most of the retired I've seen are very nosey,and always calling the cops about anything that they don't agree with. Glad I moved out of that sh1t hole!
We are retired...not nosey though, couldn't care less about your personal business. We moved from Ocala because we could not afford the high taxes. Every time we tried to repair or improve the property, here came the tax man to tack on another few thousand. Take a look at all the empty houses in Marion County now...more than 7,000 unoccupied homes for sale at last count and climbing. Marion County caters to the rich with tax breaks and the poor pay for it. There is no longer a middle class there.
ex resident also

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2010

Judged:

I remember the fiasco around his battling his way into Jumboair. Took him 2 yrs to finally beat down the argument against him purchasing it. Talked all kinds of bs about selling lots that are part of his property to fellow celeb friends and how it would be soooo beneficial to Ocala... revenue etc. Right. Anybody seen Steinberg? Exactly. Said whatever he had to to get what he wanted... usual arrogant self absorbed entitlement tactics. Why did he want Jumboair? Do not most people remember the big bruhaha at the time about his getting tossed out of the gated community in Daytona (can't remember the name of it) that also has an airstrip, for his abuse of said airstrip? So, he wanted Jumboair because he could privately own it. Too, to be near his scientology guru.

The war between him and the prime horse owners - they didn't want the shit scared out of their prized racing horses with his random and LOUD flyovers, but he spoke to the GREED of corrupt high brow residents, and also to desperate hopers of a better economy that would have happened if he hadn't LIED about how he was going to get all these celebs to buy "small town off the beaten path for the weekend" lots in Jumboair.

When the hurricanes of '09 hit did he offer to FLY anyone out of there to safety? Um, hell no. Got himself out though, no prob. Flew over everyone there in crazy danger, in his EMPTY 747. Nice. Goes to Walmart... in a limo. What's that about? LOL Narcissitic much? People are so blinded by celebrity. He contributes what exactly to the community? Besides the jet fuel exhaust that near by residents and animals near his privately owned ghost town, and the occasional photo op with resident star struck fools, that is...

Yeah. Fun when I had to fork over MY peaceful Sunday that used to exist before he moved in and the falling all over themselves small plane idiots would congregate over his property to circle like the idiots they were hoping for what I dunno...lol

Yep. Left with no choice but to be forced to deal with the flying idiots circling racket, and just watch to see if they'd just get it over with and finally crash into each other so we could get some peace. Nope. Don't miss it.
ex resident also

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2010

typo = '04 not '09
ex resident also

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2010

LOW taxes???

Well, they were at least reasonable (wouldn't say 'low') until the hurricanes, which TRIPLED my property tax, and nearly tripled in insurance premiums,and nasty mortgage co reps. How about FEMA.. right. Epic Failure. Never mind the take over by the junkies et al that killed the property values if the economy, and hurricanes hadn't.

Fire ants, 90% humidity 10 months of the year, bugs from Hell.. pest control, and lawn care expenses were insane let alone the huge power bill increases to "defray the cost of the hurricanes" ... for WHO? Those that were hit, and and had to wait up to 3 WEEKS (we were 8 days) for restoration?... the list goes on.

16 yrs was 15 and a half toooo long.

It USED to be nice place way back then. Good luck.

“Humor Me”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2010

Mr. Travolta moved from Sarasota because people complained about his 737 being too big to land and park at the air strip where he lived. So he moved to the Ocala area again because he is able to keep his 737 there.

He fly's his family just about everywhere they need to go, he rarely allows them to take commercial flights.

“Follow Me @trotlinedesigns”

Since: Jan 10

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2010

He bought the place from Arthur A. Jones, the founder of Nautilus, Inc. and MedX, Inc. and the inventor of the Nautilus exercise machines. Jones sold it because he had a tift with Anthony Elem. School and they blocked him from flying his jets saying it was a risk to the school children.
Under the runway was a zoo where Mr. Jones kept elephants. Not sure if JT uses it for anything but I have been there many times.(when Jones owned the property) Travolta made nice nice with the School Board and got the go ahead to fly in.
Down the street from him on 441 there is a Grocery store.. Want to say Kash n Karry but not sure.. my father said many nights you can find Travolta there after midnight and will sign things for you and talk to you in line. From what I understand the family lives a backwards schedule. They are active when most of us are asleep :)
dontcare

Warrensburg, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2010

whoever wrote this is a dumbass - JT and his family have a right to live wherever they want to. Having met them twice I find it difficult to believe you could ever meet a nicer couple. It's pathetic that some people will attack good people because of what they believe in. So what you hate Scientology? you gotta attack good people who do? Who's the bigot here?
dontcare

Warrensburg, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2010

oh - hate to comment on the same string twice but - after everything they have been to you have to post this ...? You're just a pathetic hater.
bebe

Deland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2010

He does live in Ocala, FL .. I actually met him as well as his family. He lives in Ocala , because what is offered to him. Plane strip, Privacy , and easy access to Scientology headquarters. When his family had the tragic lost , the residents of Ocala, gave him the up most respect and let him and his family grieve in privacy. It's funny that those who live in ocala are always talking bad about the city, but yet to remember that they still live here.
Travolta livelong fan

Gainesville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2011

Sorry, Ocala is NOT between Tampa and Orlando!
Kaligirlsam

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2011

It is where he can pull his 747 right up to the door of his house. Not many airparks can offer that kind of space and runway. Shopping in Ocala is great and it is fairly safe from hurricanes being in the middle of the state. Very pretty area so why not. Easy travel time to the bahamas where they have a home and California when they are filming also.
twisted

Wilmington, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2011

he lives there for the magic mushrooms...
twisted

Wilmington, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2011

oh wait, that's why I lived there...

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2011

Its not anyone place to tell some rich or poor where they should live. Its up to that person to decide if they want to in Ocala or at the moon.
Its not anyone to make anyone else choice's where they should.
I will soon be moving to Ocala and again that's my choice where I live not anyone else.
If your not happy there are 48 other state's to move too.
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2011

Ex Ocala resident wrote:
Most of the retired I've seen are very nosey,and always calling the cops about anything that they don't agree with. Glad I moved out of that sh1t hole!
I have never understood the fascination, some have with Ocala...hot as hell, with no breeze...and all i have ever seen is pitbulls and pickups.....
Not Raw Meat

Hudson, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2011

Dee2007, there are 50 states in the United States of America. Florida is one of them, and so 50-1 = 49 other states to move to, or as you so eloquently wrote, "state's to move too".(Are you another fine graduate of Applied Scholastics and Hubbard's Study Tech?)

Back to the topic: Travolta lives in Ocala because (a) he can keep his airplane right next to his home (b) it is close to Clearwater and other scientologists (c) it is relatively close to Orlando and Tampa airports and (d) the folks in Ocala really don't know any better or don't care. Native Floridians are used to Yankees comin' and goin' for many different reasons, some legitimate and some not.

Since: Aug 11

Leesburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2011

Judged:

The Travolta's live in Jumbolair, a beautiful Aviation Community just a few minutes North of Ocala in Anthony, Florida. The rather large parcel allows John to land his 707 jet with ease. Jumbolair was conceived and built to be the perfect home and business center by Terri Jones and former husband Arthur Jones, the inventor of Nautilus exercise equipment. It's rolling hills and sprawling oaks frame its enormous 7,550 ft x 250 ft runway which is apparently the largest private residential runway in the country. Read more here http://ocalafloridarealestate.net/communities...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of52
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Silver Springs Shores Discussions

Search the Silver Springs Shores Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Review: America Choice RV (May '10) Jul 8 Jason 11
Review: Soggy Bottom Wholesale Tire LLC Jul 5 Philip 1
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) Jul 4 the protected species 2,911
What is Ocala Like (Jul '09) Jul 3 Tony 151
Vance Hines Jul 2 doug 3
murders at rainbow gatherings in ocala forest (Mar '13) Jun 29 two since 34
Review: Foxy's Bail Bonds (Nov '10) Jun 28 Robert Fox is a POS 8
•••
•••
•••
•••

Silver Springs Shores Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••