Fatal Train Accident in Wyoming County

Fatal Train Accident in Wyoming County

There are 107 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Aug 3, 2007, titled Fatal Train Accident in Wyoming County. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

This story is happening now. State Police are investigating a fatal train accident in Silver Springs, in Wyoming County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
mike

AOL

#1 Aug 3, 2007
wow
bob

Old Forge, NY

#2 Aug 3, 2007
mike wrote:
wow
glad you put a lot of thought into that response
Omg

AOL

#3 Aug 3, 2007
R.I.P.
bob

Rochester, NY

#4 Aug 3, 2007
mike wrote:
wow
looks like you really care.
Malinda

United States

#6 Aug 4, 2007
i saw this whole thing engolfed in flames and know that there was driving in there dieing and you couldnt do anything
Mary-Cheektowaga

Dunkirk, NY

#7 Aug 4, 2007
What a tragic accident. My condolences to the family. I wonder if the sun may of played a part in this accident? Obviously he did not see the train. Where there guardrails? I am not familiar with this area. Flashing lights alone are very hard to see in sunshine.
baby

United States

#8 Aug 4, 2007
so tragic. my condolences go out to the family. there should be a gate that stops traffic from approaching the tracks as a train is ready to cross that street. i think that town should be liable for his poor life that was lost in this tragic accident.
Mary Ann

Lockport, NY

#9 Aug 4, 2007
That was really a tragic accident. I send my sympathies to his family.
Tami

United States

#10 Aug 4, 2007
What really happened was this: His semi had gotten caught up on the railroad tracks. The driver tried to free his rig by rocking back and forth but ran out of time.

People were screaming at him to get out of the semi but he wouldn't.

Tragic....but how can a vehicle mean more than your own life?

The following is on channel 4's page:

"(Silver Springs, NY, August 4, 2007)-- State police investigators continue their probe into a deadly collision involving a train and a tractor trailer. An Ohio man was killed in the crash. News 4's Alysha Palumbo reports.

Myra Broman said, "My grandchildren and I were out in the backyard, and we heard the initial noise, and then the screeching."

Witnesses watched in horror as a tractor trailer driver tried desperately to save his life and his rig after it got caught on the train tracks near Morton Salt in Silver Springs Friday night.

A Morton Salt employee said, "He tried to exit across the tracks, and he got wedged, and he was rocking back and forth, and then I noticed he put his arms up in the air, and I noticed again that shortly after he put his arms up in the air, that's when the engine struck him."

The tractor trailer immediately burst into flames, killing the driver.

Silver Springs Fire Chief Jeff Schillaci said, "Flames were probably 12-15 feet in the air."

Broman said, "All we saw was a lot of black smoke, the train stopped."

The Morton Salt employee said, "When I saw the engine of the train struck the cab, the tractor of the truck, it was just horrific. The explosion, the impact, it pushed the truck at least a half mile to a mile down the tracks."

Firefighters, who were originally dispatched to what they thought was just a grass fire, soon had to battle burning diesel fuel all over the tracks.

Schillaci said, "This was probably one of the most severe that I've seen in my 27 years as a member of the department."

But the Morton Salt employee says these tracks have proved tricky for tractor trailers before.

He said, "This is not the first time that this has happened, where a truck has gotten hung up on the tracks, but if they're not familiar with the tracks and the area, how to get in and out across the tracks, yes, that does happen."

The truck driver who died in this crash is 32-year-old Alvin Van Horn from Ohio.

New York State Police are still investigating this accident."
Emile

United States

#11 Aug 4, 2007
There are no guard rails at this rail road crossing, as we were standing there watching this all take place we didn't even know the lights were on ourselves until the sun went completely down so it is very possible that the driver did not see the lights flashing.
This happened feet away from my home, it's so sad. All of the crossings here are not well kept and it does not suprise me that his truck would get stuck on the tracks as all of our vehicles get stuck on them all the time.
Mark L

Douglasville, GA

#12 Aug 4, 2007
Tami, I have three questions for you.....were you there? Did you see this happen?? Or are you simply relying on the newspapers/TV for "what really happened"?
Tami wrote:
What really happened was this: His semi had gotten caught up on the railroad tracks. The driver tried to free his rig by rocking back and forth but ran out of time.
People were screaming at him to get out of the semi but he wouldn't.
Tragic....but how can a vehicle mean more than your own life?
The following is on channel 4's page:
"(Silver Springs, NY, August 4, 2007)-- State police investigators continue their probe into a deadly collision involving a train and a tractor trailer. An Ohio man was killed in the crash. News 4's Alysha Palumbo reports.
Myra Broman said, "My grandchildren and I were out in the backyard, and we heard the initial noise, and then the screeching."
Witnesses watched in horror as a tractor trailer driver tried desperately to save his life and his rig after it got caught on the train tracks near Morton Salt in Silver Springs Friday night.
A Morton Salt employee said, "He tried to exit across the tracks, and he got wedged, and he was rocking back and forth, and then I noticed he put his arms up in the air, and I noticed again that shortly after he put his arms up in the air, that's when the engine struck him."
The tractor trailer immediately burst into flames, killing the driver.
Silver Springs Fire Chief Jeff Schillaci said, "Flames were probably 12-15 feet in the air."
Broman said, "All we saw was a lot of black smoke, the train stopped."
The Morton Salt employee said, "When I saw the engine of the train struck the cab, the tractor of the truck, it was just horrific. The explosion, the impact, it pushed the truck at least a half mile to a mile down the tracks."
Firefighters, who were originally dispatched to what they thought was just a grass fire, soon had to battle burning diesel fuel all over the tracks.
Schillaci said, "This was probably one of the most severe that I've seen in my 27 years as a member of the department."
But the Morton Salt employee says these tracks have proved tricky for tractor trailers before.
He said, "This is not the first time that this has happened, where a truck has gotten hung up on the tracks, but if they're not familiar with the tracks and the area, how to get in and out across the tracks, yes, that does happen."
The truck driver who died in this crash is 32-year-old Alvin Van Horn from Ohio.
New York State Police are still investigating this accident."
Mark L

Douglasville, GA

#13 Aug 4, 2007
"Mary", "Baby", "Tami" and "Emile" all make some VERY valid comments.... I'm concerned that both the town of Silver Springs AND/OR Norfolk Southern should help and/or be held responsible for (at a minimum) the family's final expenses.....
Amber

United States

#14 Aug 4, 2007
baby wrote:
so tragic. my condolences go out to the family. there should be a gate that stops traffic from approaching the tracks as a train is ready to cross that street. i think that town should be liable for his poor life that was lost in this tragic accident.
The town is not responsible for this at all! The railroad is responsible for taking care of the tracks and putting up the gates so if you want to blame someone you should blame the railroad. If the town had a choice we would have had better railroad tracks a long time ago here in Silver Springs!
Mark L

Douglasville, GA

#15 Aug 4, 2007
Amber....thank you for your comment! THAT being the case, then you're right! Norfolk Southern should be held responsible.....especially since a worker at Morton Salt indicated that trucks and cars are ALWAYS getting stuck on those tracks! As well as another witness that stated "while watching this accident, he could not tell if the lights were on until AFTER the sun went down"!
Amber

United States

#16 Aug 4, 2007
Approx. 2 hours after the accident the railroad company showed up with a truck with guard rails on it, but they have yet to be installed... It's just sad that something like this had to happen for them to come in... I have a picture with them on the truck and lots of others from the accident but I don't know if you can post pictures here...
Mark L

Douglasville, GA

#17 Aug 4, 2007
Amber....please send photos to markgl@comcast.net
Amber

United States

#18 Aug 4, 2007
Mark L wrote:
Amber....please send photos to markgl@comcast.net
I put a few pics up on my site... They include the guard rails that showed up a couple hours after the accident, the skid marks from where the driver tried to stop, either to try to stop for the train or to stop and try to back up(we may never know), and what is left of the cab of the truck. Everyone has seen the trailer on the news and online so I figured I didn't need too many of that but I will add more later or if there is anything specific anyone is looking for let me know I may have pics...

http://www.angelfire.com/crazy/ahowardphoto/t...
JaneandSarah

Buffalo, NY

#19 Aug 4, 2007
To everyone who has posted such caring comments regarding this horrible accident, I would like to express sincere thanks. The driver of the truck was my nephew and my daughter's "Uncle Dude". It is nice to know that people care. He was such a sweet, nice kid, loved Metallica, really a great guy. Thank you all..
Patty Greenspan

Buffalo, NY

#20 Aug 4, 2007
My very deepest condolences to the family. Aunt Jane Lininger, cousin Sarah and Uncle Al are my housemates. It was my very great pleasure to have had the opportunity to meet Uncle Alvin a/k/a Dude and to embrace him as another one of 'Aunt Patty's" surrogate nephews. May Dude always be in the hands of God and may his soul be blessed among the multitudes.
Sarah Jessica

Buffalo, NY

#21 Aug 4, 2007
Thank you,everybody for understanding about my uncle dude/Alvin i really wish this wouldn't of happend,This morning when my mom told me i thought i was dreaming and i have my friend Taylor over and tonight we are going to say Prayers and we all hope he gets to Heaven safley.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Silver Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fatal shooting in Wyoming County ruled a homicide Mar '18 control shot 1
Lazy people Feb '18 Fed up 1
News Body Found in Nunda Identified as Rochester Woman (May '10) Feb '18 ADs97 100
News Former Mount Morris fire chief arrested for DWI (May '12) Dec '17 Andy 9
News Police: Hunter fatally shoots woman walking dog... Dec '17 River 9
the burleigh girls! (Nov '08) Nov '17 Truth 8
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in New York (... (Oct '10) Mar '11 geo 11

Silver Springs Jobs

Personal Finance

Silver Springs Mortgages