Silver Springs: The Growth

Posted in the Silver Springs Forum

TheIndustryBros

Incline Village, NV

#1 Sep 17, 2009
Hello to all of the interesting people out on the forum. We have lived and worked in the Silver Springs Nevada area for 15 plus years. I have also worked and lived in other cities and states. I have been employed in wood preserving at different times in my life.

In my whole life I have been employed in the wood industry or the pesticide industry. The comments that will be made in this post will be knowledgeable and educated. My education comes from college and different certifications in these industries.

Firstly, corporations like Vaqueros, Pacific Wood Preserving, and the Clearwater Fluid Reclamation plant; as well as neighboring Bango Road Salvage Yard are needed to aid in the growth of Silver Springs outlining areas. These leaders of industry are also helping ease the pain of the economic recession of the 00s.

We are now ready to begin talking about the pros and cons of industry's impact on our communities.

Vaqueros, is a feed mill allows local farmers and ranchers to purchase high quality feed supplements for livestock to live through the winter. As well as provide jobs. The negative is the smell of burnt molasses.

Clearwater, is a company that provides state and local businesses a safe place to send their effluent products. The upside is, companies can take their waste fluids and byproducts, where they can be properly disposed of or reclaimed and reused. The downside is the smell given off when effluent products become stagnant.

While we do not know as much about The Bango Salvage Yard here is a quick synopsis of the information available to us. To start with salvage yards provide a venue for people's unwanted and discarded metal and other products. Which allows families an honest way to make a buck. This also allows us to recycle which directly helps clean up our town. The con being, uneducated people improperly dispose of dangerous material.

N.W.P.(the wood plant)provides this country as well as others treated wood, a renewable resource. Pros; This allows companies and private parties a chance to buy treated wood at an affordable price without huge shipping costs. Cons (something everyone who uses this forum knows about)the unavoidable smell of Douglas fur and pine being kiln dried with the sweet smell of pentacloraphenol.

There is more information to be discussed but we know your time is valuable. We consider ourselves Wood Preserving as well as environmental enthusiasts.We will continue updating and researching information on these subjects. We look forward to having intelligent conversations (not personal attacks) thank you for your time.

-TheIndustryBros
wwwilson

United States

#2 Feb 21, 2010
I've owned property in SS for a while and am just starting to develope it for my retirement home. Are the fumes toxic? If not, what's the problem? This town needs the jobs and money. Try helping to solve the issue without attacking. SS has a lot off potential for development and jobs. If you spend all of your time attacking this one company why would anyone else want to come here? Pull your heads out and think past your noses.
Can ethanol be made from the molasses by products? This could create jobs and money plus help the evironment.
Can the fumes be filtered or made not to smell so bad?
Just try helping instead of attacking.
wwwilson
Announcing

Reno, NV

#3 Mar 2, 2010
FYI Industry Brothers - The Bango Situation is much more than the Bango Salvage Yard, as you have stated. The Bango problem is the result of a relatively new Bango Oil refinery, which is causing the resident complaints over the stink in Churchill County.

No one is against clean industry, but one can only hope that any of the companies you referred to, including NV Wood Preserving in Silver Springs, Lyon County - would keep their odors to themselves, and not be imposing same on their neighbors, our day care facilities, parks, including the beaches at Lahontan Recreation Area, Schools, senior and other public gathering places, not to mention the frequent invasions of horrific odors into the living spaces and work places of all residents, and highways, unlucky enough to be within a five mile radius of this plant.

If a company is a good neighbor, and such an asset to the community in which they do business, they would not be pouring their obnoxious processing fumes into the air we breathe.

This has been the case with NWP - instead of correcting their problem - they have first denied it for over + three years. Now, since the Town Board has placed NWP on the monthly agenda to give updates, are "sort of admitting" it is their odor, and they promise various fixes. Meanwhile the stink goes on, for how long another three years, or longer? Trusting comes from actions, not promises.

If any entity in this community thinks other savvy businesses will come here with this sort of negative influence in the community - good luck!

Good luck also to wwwilson as you prepare to develop and settle into your retirement home.
Are the fumes toxic?- check out their list of chemicals, and decide for yourself. CCA,Pentachlorophenol, Creosote, Diesel, and the chemical by-products created as the wood goes through the preserving processes, are certainly not healthy to say the least.

We can only hope that polluting industries will
become the good neighbos they claim to be.

Jobs are needed, and we hope the best technology, or efforts greater than those provided by NDEP will help us all breathe easier in the future.
Bob

Moraga, CA

#4 Apr 6, 2011
Dear residents

Know body has moved here to be attacked by horrible, yes toxic, fumes.And you can't expect our town to grow when people catch wind of the stink we have to tolerate as if we have a choice.We all are under attack by this stinking plant that dose little for our town other than drive us batty over the fumes!Money is the problem.They don't want to spend the money to put up a huge containment building with a filter system and hi Exhaust stack.Cheaper for them to move after they trash our town.Boom and bust mentality.People are not important, dollars are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Silver Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Cosby accuser: 'Do you remember me?' Wed From the frigid N... 2
Authorities locate missing Reno man Wed Deanna Berardis 2
8 juveniles arrested in alleged riot at Reno tr... (Nov '10) Feb 24 WildlandFireman 11
Reno Music Forum (Dec '12) Feb 22 Musikologist 9
Jon Ralston Feb 21 Local 2
cps reno nv (Jun '08) Feb 18 Disgusted 33
Do women prefer big or small (Aug '14) Feb 16 old phart 6
Silver Springs Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Silver Springs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:53 pm PST

Bleacher Report 6:53PM
Tyvon Branch Cut by Raiders: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction
NFL 7:36 PM
Oakland Raiders to release Tyvon Branch
ESPN 7:49 PM
Raiders to release injury-plagued Branch
Bleacher Report 9:18 PM
San Francisco 49ers: Should They Sign Reggie Bush?
Bleacher Report11:48 PM
Oakland Raiders Must Cut MJD, Bring Back Darren McFadden