What is Ocala Like
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
old soul

Jonesboro, AR

#1 Jul 29, 2009
Looking at possible relocating to ocala and wanting to ge a good feel for the place. Please be honest in responses....
Thank you
Wake Up

Brentwood, TN

#2 Jul 31, 2009
Well if you like rednecks.

“Come together or die together!”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#3 Jul 31, 2009
It depends on what part of Ocala you want to move to. To be honest, if I were you, I would look at cities outside of Ocala like Belleview or Summerfield.
Rick

Gainesville, FL

#4 Jul 31, 2009
old soul wrote:
Looking at possible relocating to ocala and wanting to ge a good feel for the place. Please be honest in responses....
Thank you
Actually, Ocala has a lot going for it. A refurbished in-door mall and a brand new out door mall, lots of arts, beautiful country side, great people and close to Daytona Beach, Gainesville, Orlando and much more. There are negatives...some areas are not so nice. All in all, not a bad place to live. Housing is plentiful and inexpensive, especially at this time. Come for a visit and decide for yourself.
chillin10

Orlando, FL

#5 Aug 1, 2009
i might be moving to ocala to
longtimer

Ocoee, FL

#6 Aug 5, 2009
Been here 40+ years. The only time that I might not choose to live here is as a young, single, adult. But then again, I did find my true love here. Schools are good, nice choce in churches, plenty of arts and civic organization. Hot in the summer...keep the ac running. You can leave the heavy coat behind.
If you appricate those of us who are natives and don't treat us as dumb southern hicks then we'd love to have you.
Mik

Leesburg, FL

#7 Aug 10, 2009
Been here 6 years. Ocala is boring. They might as well roll up the sidewalks after 9pm. Crime is high compared to most other towns. Takes the police and fire departments ages to respond. Available jobs are mainly in the service and medical fields. If you don't work in one of those fields, learn to take pride in the trailer lifestyle.
The positive points are; it's a fairly clean town, and most folks are decent and easy to get to know.
The BUSH effect

Floral City, FL

#8 Aug 16, 2009
I you love to make other people rich,and can afford to live on $7.00 to $9.00 (if you can get it) an hour,it's a great place. Most younger people move here,and can never make enough money to leave,AND NO ONE CARES! Do your homewrk before you move into this shit hole.
Rev EZ DamnUall

Windermere, FL

#9 Aug 20, 2009
Ocala is all about Cox Communications and
the R E D N E C K S !
Wake Up wrote:
Well if you like rednecks.
Christine

Grand Island, FL

#10 Aug 25, 2009
Yikes! Some of these comments are really rough. I've lived here for 11 years, moved from Long Island NY. I know a lot of people complain about salaries, but we make a decent living here. We're in the SW section of Ocala and while I have to say that there are quite a few empty houses here and the schools aren't terrific, we've managed to carve out quite a nice life.
Agree

Floral City, FL

#11 Aug 25, 2009
The BUSH effect wrote:
I you love to make other people rich,and can afford to live on $7.00 to $9.00 (if you can get it) an hour,it's a great place. Most younger people move here,and can never make enough money to leave,AND NO ONE CARES! Do your homewrk before you move into this shit hole.
That's the way it is,rich and poor - no middle class allowed in Slowcala.
LOIS

Winter Park, FL

#12 Aug 25, 2009
I came here in '98 (11 years ago. I think it is a nice place to live. I am, however, glad that I am a retiree as jobs can be hard to find and the salaries are low compared to "up North". We have a great community college, a super community theater, a very nice museum and a large variety of opportunities to shop. Resturants are OK, but there are too many Tex-Mex, Asian, and other minority type restaurants. Come and check us out!
We have great scenery, including horses.
LOIS

Winter Park, FL

#13 Aug 25, 2009
I just posted a comment that claims I live in Winter Park. NO WAY -- I live in Ocala!
Good Grief

Oneida, TN

#14 Aug 26, 2009
longtimer wrote:
Been here 40+ years. The only time that I might not choose to live here is as a young, single, adult. But then again, I did find my true love here. Schools are good, nice choce in churches, plenty of arts and civic organization. Hot in the summer...keep the ac running. You can leave the heavy coat behind.
If you appricate those of us who are natives and don't treat us as dumb southern hicks then we'd love to have you.
I went to Ocala once upon a time and found it quite pleasant. Silver Springs is also a nice treat.

Since: Aug 09

Orlando, FL

#15 Aug 31, 2009
I have lived in Ocala for 21 years and originally from FL, so I know Florida. In my opinion, Ocala is a great place to live IF you like being in a slow town and not having many things to do as in activities, unless your an outdoors type person, then you have bike trails, parks, hiking trails...that sort of stuff. As for jobs, I don't that it's good anywhere right now. There definitely ain't much fun things to do in Ocala, but you can always drive to Gainsville, Orlando or Tampa to have fun, not that far. And to go to the beach, that's only about an 1 hour... not bad. All in All... Ocala is an ok place to live and yes there are rednecks here, but I don't see that they bother me any. If you like a downhome type of town with lots of country, then Ocala is your place... :-)
Truth about Slowcala

Floral City, FL

#16 Aug 31, 2009
The above name say's it all,and the saying is very commonplace around here. The jobs/pay have always been bad,and always will be bad. The ultra rich horse farm owners will not allow high paying jobs to move in,and they mainly employ Mexican labor. Lot's of non-working black folks on Hwy 27 over to Hwy 40 always hanging out on the streets,and poor/drugged out forks living in shady motels all over town. Also,lot's of hookers walking around on 301 South by those seedy motels,trying to make money for drugs. The non-English speaking types from South Florida are moving in here along with,the blacks moving in to the West Hwy 200 areas. The crime rate has increased badly out on West 200 (robberies,shoplifting,fights) and housing values are starting to drop. The Sheriff helicopter is flying around town every single night,due to all the high crime in this area. Sorry,but I sugar coat nothing and tell it like it really is.
Transplant to Ocala

United States

#17 Sep 9, 2009
Depends on what age you are if you'll like Ocala and what you like to do.....
If you're into horses or golfing you can be happy here. If you're into fishing, you can be happy here.
If you have a job lined up and you're happy with the salary, you might be happy here. If you plan to move here and LOOK for a job - forget it.
I strongly recommend that you RENT first. My husband and I stupidly bought in 2006. We're STUCK here!!!!!
If you're retired, you'd probably be happy moving to a retirement community - they usually offer lots here.
I'm 37 and married. If my husband fell off the face of the earth, I'd be out of here so quickly people's heads would spin. It's not where I'd want to have to try to meet a college educated professional - nor does it sound like there's much of a single social scene.
But, like I said, for golf it's really good and cheap too!!!!
Juzz Raw

United States

#19 Nov 10, 2009
i've lived in ocala for most of my life. when u come here, be prepared to be disappointed, unless ur in retirement.
Juzz Raw

United States

#20 Nov 10, 2009
old soul wrote:
Thank you
if ur a typical citizen then ocala is for you.
RyanT282

AOL

#21 Nov 15, 2009
Many of the commenters on this thread have it down to a T. I'd like to add more, though. Marion County (which houses Ocala) has the 2nd-highest teen pregnancy rate in the entire state, along with the 2nd-highest divorce rate (b/c of all those many, many teen mothers getting married right after dropping out of high school, the ultimate recipe for divorce nowadays). Marion also has one of the highest welfare rates, high school dropout rates, and child abuse and spousal abuse rates in Florida as well, all of them in the top six out of the 66 counties in the state. In ’04, it was considered the “deadbeat dad capital of Florida.” It also has one of the lowest college enrollment rates of young adults in Florida. Oh, and I can’t forget to mention the many meth addicts here as well. None of this is something to be proud of. The surrounding counties of Lake, Sumter, Citrus, Alachua and especially Polk are not much better, either (Polk’s #1 in teen preggo and divorces). The white trash poverty and lack of education and culture is staggering—particularly with those my age and younger—unlike anything I’ve ever seen, and I’ve been throughout the Deep South. Just go to any grocery store or Wal-mart in Ocala, Belleview or Summerfield, and you’ll be surrounded by more trailer park lowlifes in twenty minutes than you’ve been around in twenty months.

I'm 29, a native Floridian, and have lived in this region since 1988. I’ve gone to school here, college here, and have worked government and retail jobs here. I’ve seen, heard, read and unfortunately even smelled it all in Ocala and Belleview. I’m a hardened 20-year veteran of this redneck area, and I’d never recommend it to any young family, educated professional, and especially not for young single men looking for either dates or decent jobs. You’ll find nothing of the sort in “Ho-cala” or its vicinity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Silver Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
what ever happened to fired teacher john anselmo? (Nov '14) Wed concerned 16
Review: America Choice RV (May '10) Feb 22 GypsyGal 14
News DeSantis, protesters to meet face-to-face Feb 22 RuffnReddy 1
bee-line landscaping Feb 20 ponko 1
Is Daytona Beach A Good Vacation Spot Or Not??? (Mar '10) Feb 16 go green 173
murders at rainbow gatherings in ocala forest (Mar '13) Feb 13 cointellpro 58
Catrina Pavlov Feb 10 Jason2 1

Silver Springs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance