City filling jobs during Dolce era

City filling jobs during Dolce era

There are 124 comments on the Observer story from Jul 22, 2012, titled City filling jobs during Dolce era. In it, Observer reports that:

A change in administrations usually means changes in personnel - both for full and part-time employees.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Observer.

Tom

United States

#42 Jul 24, 2012
disgusted wrote:
Steve neratko had to move to Dunkirk within a time frame. Everyone else should have to follow the same rules.
It will not matter, i guarentee he will leave within a year. You could not pay me enough to deal with the problems he inherited or the people he has to deal with.
Not Again

Dunkirk, NY

#43 Jul 24, 2012
wellnow wrote:
<quoted text>the kid was # 1 on the NYS civil service list, by law you have to hire off that list and you also have to be in the top 3, and only 2 yes thats 2 local boys were on the reachable list. The Chiefs son also graduated #1 at the Police Academy and he was working part-time for the Fredonia Police Dept, so he already had some experience. So what proof do you have that he was not the top score on the police exam------none. You need a mental exam. The Police Chief removed himself from the interview and hiring process, it was all done by the Captain and his interview committee! How can being #1 on the police exam and #1 at the academy be politics??????? You are one messed up person.
Things will never change in the city...a few years ago an officer was hired because his father did all the work for Mayor Frey at Memorial Park and a year later the Mayor's grandson was hired as an officer. I can guarantee at least one of them was not in the top three!! That's ok I would rather have my children be proud that they got the job on their own and not cause daddy or granddaddy works in city hall.
OTB

Dunkirk, NY

#45 Jul 24, 2012
Not Again wrote:
<quoted text>
Things will never change in the city...a few years ago an officer was hired because his father did all the work for Mayor Frey at Memorial Park and a year later the Mayor's grandson was hired as an officer. I can guarantee at least one of them was not in the top three!! That's ok I would rather have my children be proud that they got the job on their own and not cause daddy or granddaddy works in city hall.
I don't know of an officer Gloss that is on the police force. I also think The Mayors Grandson was a tranfer from another Police agency. What a lot of people don't understand is that if the City hire's some one that has not been through the Police Academy prior to his being hired, the City has to pick up the tab for the reqired schooling. I belive the City's Police Department has done a good job in making the selections filling the last 10 or so positions off the Civil Service list or transfers. I think they save about $10,000 per officer. The individuals pick up the cost on their own.
wellnow

Fredonia, NY

#46 Jul 24, 2012
Not Again wrote:
<quoted text>
Dont know who you are talking about, but all the cops that have been hired were in the Top three on the NYS civil service list!!! Also, the two that the City just hired were THE ONLY TWO that were from the area. I think that the Chiefs kids qualifications speak for themselves: Already had experience (the only one) working part time for the Fredonia Police Dept.,#1 on NYS civil service list, graduated #1 from a NYS certified Police Academy, also I just found out, he is a certified 911 dispatcher and a EMT (emergency medical technician). I think that he got his job on his own merits. The Chief was even out of Town on vacation when the interview and recommendation to hire was done by the Captain, who is a no nonsense by the book person. What someone who is well qualified for a job, should not get it, just because where his father works---just plain stupid!
Anonymous

Lancaster, NY

#47 Jul 25, 2012
wellnow wrote:
<quoted text>Dont know who you are talking about, but all the cops that have been hired were in the Top three on the NYS civil service list!!! Also, the two that the City just hired were THE ONLY TWO that were from the area. I think that the Chiefs kids qualifications speak for themselves: Already had experience (the only one) working part time for the Fredonia Police Dept.,#1 on NYS civil service list, graduated #1 from a NYS certified Police Academy, also I just found out, he is a certified 911 dispatcher and a EMT (emergency medical technician). I think that he got his job on his own merits. The Chief was even out of Town on vacation when the interview and recommendation to hire was done by the Captain, who is a no nonsense by the book person. What someone who is well qualified for a job, should not get it, just because where his father works---just plain stupid!
A state certified police academy? I'm sure it was top notch..lets face it...a police officer has too much power the fact that they can spend a couple of weeks in a NYS certified police Academy pass a civil service test which any retard obtain a badge is ridiculous. Why is it harder to become a teacher in this state than it is to become a police officer. How many police officers have a four year degree? It's sad that most police officers obtain their qualifications through military service...which means NYS is taking another step toward an ever present police state that is more militarized than anything...
wellnow

Fredonia, NY

#48 Jul 25, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text> A state certified police academy? I'm sure it was top notch..lets face it...a police officer has too much power the fact that they can spend a couple of weeks in a NYS certified police Academy pass a civil service test which any retard obtain a badge is ridiculous. Why is it harder to become a teacher in this state than it is to become a police officer. How many police officers have a four year degree? It's sad that most police officers obtain their qualifications through military service...which means NYS is taking another step toward an ever present police state that is more militarized than anything...
First of all, there is a minimum requirement of a 2 year degree, the Chiefs kid has a 4 year degree, and the academy is 23 weeks long. BTY most cops now do have a 4 year degree! Most teachers probably could not pass the academy, it also includes physical training and weapons qualification!
joe white

Fredonia, NY

#49 Jul 25, 2012
wellnow wrote:
<quoted text>First of all, there is a minimum requirement of a 2 year degree, the Chiefs kid has a 4 year degree, and the academy is 23 weeks long. BTY most cops now do have a 4 year degree! Most teachers probably could not pass the academy, it also includes physical training and weapons qualification!
you have to remember that anonymous hates law enforcement,my guess is he has a rap sheet.
14048 Rez

Dunkirk, NY

#50 Jul 25, 2012
In order to clean up the Dept of Development they should have hired 2 or 3 more employees and fired the one that is still there from the past administration. Without the proper employees doing the job the city of Dunkirk is going to lose alot of funding. The clown that ran that dept for the past administration did nothing for the past several years unless you include writing checks to himself and tim and running up unauthorized expenses. What a mess that department is in. I hope the residents of Dunkirk understand what that department means in funding for the locals. Without that funding money is going to have to come from the LOCAL taxpayers. Wake up people contact your council members and tell them you want to hold people accountable.
14048 Rez

Dunkirk, NY

#51 Jul 25, 2012
If the city of Dunkirk doesn't get state and federal funding you wait and see what the increases are going to be for the local property owners. Forget about a hiring or two in the police department you better start worrying about where we are going to find hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars in state/federal funding to cover what we are about to lose.
14048 Rez

Dunkirk, NY

#52 Jul 25, 2012
Ask yourself why the city council is not taking steps to correct the problems and why isn't someone (or a few) being held accountable for what they did in the past. Why is at least one still on the payroll?
ITWA

Horseheads, NY

#53 Jul 25, 2012
Don't worry about dunkirk losing their federal funding.As long as dunkirk has low income housing which they do,the federal money will keep flowing in.The city has prided themselves on it just take a good look around GHETTO!!!
COP

Fredonia, NY

#54 Jul 25, 2012
The candidates are well qualified young men who were willing to put in the time and effort to get the job. NOTHING handed to anyone. Years ago there used to be several candidates for the positions BUT now not enough people want to do the job. Lets face it, it is nothing like one sees on television. Most of you have never had the experience of having some deviant you just arrested, threaten to get your family or wife and kids and tell you where you live. If you want the job and all the other PERKS like that,that come with it, go to college, get thru the academy and take the test and hope that somewhere in the county there may be a job. Good Luck.
joe white

Fredonia, NY

#55 Jul 25, 2012
COP wrote:
The candidates are well qualified young men who were willing to put in the time and effort to get the job. NOTHING handed to anyone. Years ago there used to be several candidates for the positions BUT now not enough people want to do the job. Lets face it, it is nothing like one sees on television. Most of you have never had the experience of having some deviant you just arrested, threaten to get your family or wife and kids and tell you where you live. If you want the job and all the other PERKS like that,that come with it, go to college, get thru the academy and take the test and hope that somewhere in the county there may be a job. Good Luck.
couldn't agree more. thanks for putting your life on the line.
terry

Fredonia, NY

#56 Jul 25, 2012
a.j.dolce- you hired a city attorney - that just got convicted for a d.w.i. and leaving the scene -you tell me politics aint involved ? your paying that drunk 70,000 a year - and just got busted ? what is wrong with this picture ? all politics - freaking sick - unreal
Wow

Fredonia, NY

#57 Jul 25, 2012
Hey Terry you should just crawl back under the rock you live under. Get a life moron !!! You obviously have done nothing with your life and it shows in your posts.
fRANKLIN

Dunkirk, NY

#58 Jul 25, 2012
TIMMMMMMY!
Leonard

Fredonia, NY

#59 Jul 26, 2012
Scott wrote:
Will the employees who currently live outside city bounds be obligated to move here?
..........they'll just change there "official" address to a relative or friend and continue to live outside the city anyway. Already know of a refuge worker who does.
Dranoel

Dunkirk, NY

#61 Jul 26, 2012
Leonard wrote:
<quoted text>..........they'll just change there "official" address to a relative or friend and continue to live outside the city anyway. Already know of a refuge worker who does.
Municipalities are allowed to require it and investigate it and if the rule was that you had to live in city bounds and you lied as in above, it would be a very easy fire. No one is willing to take this step though and require it. Just another reason the city is in the shape it is.
really

Fredonia, NY

#64 Jul 26, 2012
joe white wrote:
<quoted text>you can of course say what you want about me,but you have crossed a line bringing my deceased Mom into the fray. I have already passed your comment on to the Topix team and will as well speak with my lawyer this AM. nothing further from me until I recieve a response.
speak with a lawyer,hahahahahahahaha, what a jerk! i believe the response will be "get a life you jerk". lets hope the lawyer never calls, then we won't have to listen to this crappola !
Terry

Park Ridge, NJ

#65 Jul 26, 2012
Its funny because I know a few guys who have bachelors degrees and have completed the academy. They are looking for work and live in Dunkirk. They did not take the test because no one knew about it. It was't advertised at all. Easy to score #1 on the test when you don't have to compete with anyone. I know fir a fact that this is how the city has handled hiring fir tears. Even make up position titles and job requirements so fewer eligible applicants to compete with the already chosen candidate. They may have been dumb but they were not stupid. Why do you think so many families have more than one incompetant city employee? They were the only ones to ever know about the opportunities.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Silver Creek Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DUNKIRK: Unease over site remains 7 hr Tito 5
Meat Gazer Dec 9 Tito 5
Tony dloniak Dec 9 Timeisthefire 29
What ever happened to? (Apr '09) Dec 7 Timeisthefire 176
dk bandits (Jun '13) Dec 5 2smart4meth 362
Chautauqua confess Dec 2 johnny bananas 6
waterman road Dec 1 Forestville hick 2

Silver Creek Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance