Tom's Family Restaurant boycot!!!

Tom's Family Restaurant boycot!!!

Posted in the Silver Creek Forum

Since: Aug 10

Buffalo, NY

#1 Aug 10, 2010
Thursday, August 5th around 9 PM my girlfriend and I went to eat. I attempted to order Macaroni & Cheese but was denied because where it was on the menu said "10 & under" kiddie meals... I don't understand... Go to McDonalds and order a "Happy Meal" and you get it no questions asked. Were they possibly expecting a bus load of "10 & under" kids to show up at 9 PM and ALL order Macaroni and Cheese?? I was even willing to pay extra for an adult portion of food from the "kiddie" menu. We left without eating.
I returned on Friday, August 6th around 11 AM to speak to a Manager / Owner. I spoke to "Tom", the owner, and politely expressed my concerns as a paying customer. He, also, tried telling me it wasn't on the menu (normally) but it WAS the "special for the day" on Friday. I pointed out on the menu where it read Macaroni & Cheese and was told by Tom that it was ONLY for kids "10 & under". I politely asked if that wasn't considered age discrimination. He, then, got extremely rude and told me to "Get the F*@K OUT"!! I attempted to thank him for listening to my concerns and offered to shake his hand on my way out and he (Tom) replied, "NO!! I don't want to shake your hand!! Just get the F*@K OUT"!! I left, a little hurt, but peacefully. What a nice way to treat your customers, huh?
I am a decorated and honorably discharged DISABLED Veteran and served my country... You would think that I could walk into a restaurant and get served a simple meal of macaroni & cheese! Or, at the very least, be treated with some dignity and respect!!! I, for one, will NEVER go to Tom's Family Restaurant again and I hope that everyone that reads this - including fellow Veterans - will join myself, my family and my friends in our boycot.
dedicated customer

Buffalo, NY

#2 Aug 11, 2010
Dear Jesse347:You should try out the cafe downtown Silver Creek. the Silver Cafe. You will always be treated with respect there and you can order anything off the menue at any time. She will even make you something that is not on the menu if she has the stuff to do it. We go there all the time and love her food and the company there.
Jesse347 wrote:
Thursday, August 5th around 9 PM my girlfriend and I went to eat. I attempted to order Macaroni & Cheese but was denied because where it was on the menu said "10 & under" kiddie meals... I don't understand... Go to McDonalds and order a "Happy Meal" and you get it no questions asked. Were they possibly expecting a bus load of "10 & under" kids to show up at 9 PM and ALL order Macaroni and Cheese?? I was even willing to pay extra for an adult portion of food from the "kiddie" menu. We left without eating.
I returned on Friday, August 6th around 11 AM to speak to a Manager / Owner. I spoke to "Tom", the owner, and politely expressed my concerns as a paying customer. He, also, tried telling me it wasn't on the menu (normally) but it WAS the "special for the day" on Friday. I pointed out on the menu where it read Macaroni & Cheese and was told by Tom that it was ONLY for kids "10 & under". I politely asked if that wasn't considered age discrimination. He, then, got extremely rude and told me to "Get the F*@K OUT"!! I attempted to thank him for listening to my concerns and offered to shake his hand on my way out and he (Tom) replied, "NO!! I don't want to shake your hand!! Just get the F*@K OUT"!! I left, a little hurt, but peacefully. What a nice way to treat your customers, huh?
I am a decorated and honorably discharged DISABLED Veteran and served my country... You would think that I could walk into a restaurant and get served a simple meal of macaroni & cheese! Or, at the very least, be treated with some dignity and respect!!! I, for one, will NEVER go to Tom's Family Restaurant again and I hope that everyone that reads this - including fellow Veterans - will join myself, my family and my friends in our boycot.
splatpat

Rutland, VT

#3 Aug 11, 2010
Jim, you should have been a little more honest about what you posted. You are blowing this thing out of proportion. The thing that bothers me is the way you used the fact that you are a veteran.Maybe you are but not in the character you are making people believe. Being "disabled" has nothing to do with being a veteran, you are disabled from a motorcycle accident you were involved in a couple of years ago.You aren't telling everyone what you really said as you told me another story. You claim you were told to go to hell and you made a unappropriate remark about Tom's mother. I know you too well, Jim. This could bite you in the A-- before it is all over.
Elizabeth K

Endicott, NY

#4 Aug 12, 2010
I've worked for Tom at his pizza place and he is a mean man, so this doesn't surprise me at all. I used to leave to deliver pizza's and be in tears and not come back until he was gone from the restaurant. He will definitely lose business as word travels and I'm sure you're not the only one not treated with respect.
As for splatpat, his disability is none of your business for one & irrelevant for another. He didn't have to specify how he became disabled and from what I read I did not see where he "mislead" anyone. He simply stated he is a veteran, not the reason he became disabled. harsh judgment comes back to you. God Bless You Jim
What

Dunkirk, NY

#5 Aug 13, 2010
Tom does not sell pizza at either of his restaurants, when was this? Maybe it was before he opened his restaurants in Irving. That being said, I could not agree with you more, he is a mean, mean man, He has a terrible mouth on him, he sleeps with a lot of his waitresses and puts his money into gambling and up his nose. I have not been there in several years, but I know a lot of people have left because he is so mean and I have heard that the restaurant is filthy dirty now. The guy is just trailer park trash.
Jesse347

Buffalo, NY

#6 Aug 13, 2010
As far as Pat goes, We go WAY back. She is entitled to her feelings, although, I wish she would get her facts straight BEFORE posting things as she has misguided opinions in her post.
Elizabeth... Thank you for understanding. YOU hit the nail RIGHT ON THE HEAD!
Dedicated Customer... I will take your advise and try the Cafe down town next time I am in town.
What... I didn't know he sold pizze either. But, I thank you, as well, for your support and understanding.
Jesse347

Buffalo, NY

#7 Aug 13, 2010
The facts ARE as follows... I AM an honorbly discharged Veteran (Card holding member of The American Legion Post 567 in Orchard Park, NY). Wanna see my DD-214???
I AM disabled (I never once stated it was service related) so that, too IS a FACT. I left it up to the reader as to how THEY would interpret it.
I NEVER ONCE was "rude" to Tom or ANY of his employees NOR did I EVER make ANY comment about his mother. I was completely polite, as I am SMART ENOUGH to know that being any other way would, in NO WAY, "help" my cause. Not to mention that would have been "childish" and I am a 45 year old MAN.
Pat is a very nice person and I would consider her a good friend. She was married to a great man that was a Vietnam Vet. He passed away and is sadly missed. I can see (to a point)her distain that I stated I was a Vet as THOSE Vets, my heart goes out to. Pat just has a few of her "facts" confused. She wasn't there, so she is only going on my post and interpreting it in her own way.
She can "Thank a VET" for that right to do so!!!
;-)
Granted, Tom's Restaurant ISN'T the only place in town to eat... Nor is the fact that all I wanted was an order of Macaroni & Cheese. I can get THAT almost anywhere! The fact IS that TOM doesn't know how to treat a paying customer at all! Especially one that served his country! I think America should wake up and show the proper respect to ALL Veterans!!!
garbage

Buffalo, NY

#8 Aug 16, 2010
The food at Tom's is dog food anyways.

Since: Feb 08

gowanda ny

#10 Aug 17, 2010
former-owner
What the H**l are you former owner of? You go on all these boards and make derogatory remarks about everything that's said. I've reported you to the administrator.
GET LOST!
former-owner

Niagara Falls, NY

#11 Aug 19, 2010
hey tylerstwit is that you at your computer do you ever change that coat meow

Since: Aug 10

Buffalo, NY

#12 Sep 15, 2010
Just a little "update".... I am STILL boycotting Tom's Family Restaurant... I have recently ate at The Silver Cafe and fully enjoyed the experience. Two thumbs up!!! Just for the record... I had mac & cheese and it was (almost) as good as my Mom used to make!!! Thanks for the suggestion, Dedicated... It was a GREAT experience!!!
Garbage

Dunkirk, NY

#13 Sep 15, 2010
Cafe isnt bad, sure would be nice if they wore gloves and hairnetss. Yuck
Agree

Dunkirk, NY

#14 Sep 22, 2010
Garbage wrote:
Cafe isnt bad, sure would be nice if they wore gloves and hairnetss. Yuck
I agree, cafe is not my favorite and the new owner is a real winner, always has been, dirty and sloppy
nonojob

Dunkirk, NY

#16 Aug 7, 2014
Going to night, never had a bad meal there.....
Dakota

Pittsford, NY

#17 Oct 31, 2015
Whenever I'm in town, I have been going to Tom's BUT on my last visit I did not have a very good
experience. First of all, my order was wrong but I dealt with it being that I'm not a winer. Next, I order dessert. I ordered a piece of chocolate cream pie. When the waitress (not so young) brought it to me it was as if my 4 year old granddaughter had cut it. It was in a heap on the plate and she had whipped cream all over her. We pointed it out to her and she flicked it off her shirt right onto my face and couldn't stop laughing! I kiddingly asked if I could have it for free but unfortunately she said she couldn't but gave me $2.00 off (gee thanks). I guess I could of dumped the mess on her head (as I would have back in the day) but I took the classy route. So I probably won't be going to Tom's Hicktown restaurant anymore either, like Jesse347.
Greg

Buffalo, NY

#18 Dec 14, 2015
I am an honorably discharged veteran too but I certainly don't trot that out when someone tells me I can't order off the kids menu. It's people like you that give people like me a bad name. Grow up. You want to boycott a dining establishment because they wont let you order off a ten and under menu. Christ. You didnt become a veteran to be able to act like the king of everything. It's not relevant to your (really stupid) issue.
Poindexter

Rochester, NY

#19 Dec 17, 2015
Trying to ruin a business over Mac n cheese? Wow . Petit. They should've given it to you. You're a kid . You've proven it......
Bear6969

Buffalo, NY

#20 May 30, 2017
Jesse347 wrote:
The facts ARE as follows... I AM an honorbly discharged Veteran (Card holding member of The American Legion Post 567 in Orchard Park, NY). Wanna see my DD-214???
I AM disabled (I never once stated it was service related) so that, too IS a FACT. I left it up to the reader as to how THEY would interpret it.
I NEVER ONCE was "rude" to Tom or ANY of his employees NOR did I EVER make ANY comment about his mother. I was completely polite, as I am SMART ENOUGH to know that being any other way would, in NO WAY, "help" my cause. Not to mention that would have been "childish" and I am a 45 year old MAN.
Pat is a very nice person and I would consider her a good friend. She was married to a great man that was a Vietnam Vet. He passed away and is sadly missed. I can see (to a point)her distain that I stated I was a Vet as THOSE Vets, my heart goes out to. Pat just has a few of her "facts" confused. She wasn't there, so she is only going on my post and interpreting it in her own way.
She can "Thank a VET" for that right to do so!!!
;-)
Granted, Tom's Restaurant ISN'T the only place in town to eat... Nor is the fact that all I wanted was an order of Macaroni & Cheese. I can get THAT almost anywhere! The fact IS that TOM doesn't know how to treat a paying customer at all! Especially one that served his country! I think America should wake up and show the proper respect to ALL Veterans!!!
Jessee347 - You implied that you were a disabled vet.....and by the looks of it and by what you said, you do this often.......and how would people know you were a vet just by looking at you? And how would they know your disability was NO WAY connected to your military service? Do you hang a sign around you neck? I am not condoning they alleged way that you were treated in any manner by the owner......with that said, when the explanation was given about the mac & cheese, being the vet that you are, you should have manned up accepted it and either ordered something else and/or quietly left. It's a disgrace that you are trying to use your Veteran and Disability status (and make it appear that your actual disability was connected to your military service) to not only get your way, you are using it to discredit a business man! You sir, should be ashamed of yourself for using both of your status' for this!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Silver Creek Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sheldon boys (Apr '17) 8 hr Thatgirl 2
hoo Sat Tom 8
Wanna be model "dirty" Nov 17 Tonto 2
Briggs Dairy items (Aug '12) Nov 15 Saw 12
Tiffany claybrook Nov 15 Beto 13
News Several Incumbents Retain Seat On Legislature Nov 15 Taxpayer 5
t.s. Nov 15 John 6

Silver Creek Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance