County, WNMU discuss vo-tech center plan

County, WNMU discuss vo-tech center plan

There are 12 comments on the The Deming Headlight story from Jul 18, 2010, titled County, WNMU discuss vo-tech center plan. In it, The Deming Headlight reports that:

Career training has made a sudden appearance on Luna County's radar. According to Luna County manager John Sutherland and Antonio Macias, dean of the School of Applied Technology at Silver City-based Western New Mexico University, a career tech center is in the early stages of discussion.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Deming Headlight.

another view

Safford, AZ

#1 Jul 19, 2010
Good story and good to hear. But not really a sudden appearance. At one of the county talking sessions in February, along with discussing Ord 37, Diaz and Sutherland asked about other concerns. Jobs was brought up and specifically educating a new workforce. This action shows that the county commission will listen and act. But the problem is always the same: people gotta show up.
Get it right

Las Cruces, NM

#2 Jul 19, 2010
According to Matt Robinson, " "Green" construction uses environmentally-responsible materials with a focus on resource efficiency." Wrong definition. It involves much more than than using a specific type of materials. Wikipedias definition is a little closer to reality. "Green building (also known as green construction or sustainable building) is the practice of creating structures and using processes that are environmentally responsible and resource-efficient throughout a building's life-cycle: from siting to design, construction, operation, maintenance, renovation, and deconstruction. This practice expands and complements the classical building design concerns of economy, utility, durability, and comfort."
beanpole

Ashburn, VA

#3 Jul 19, 2010
This is a good idea but headed in the wrong direction, for lasting employment and for people who need jobs now solar is he wrong way to go. Training people in computer IT, Auto mechanics, basic computer skills ( finding people with basic computing skills is a problem locally) and other jobs people can get right now is what a vocational school should focus on. Are there any local compaies hiring that need solar panel technicians?....and even then they can only afford one or two of them.

We will train people up in a industry that is not local and they will either leave or not work in the industry they are trained for.
Do NOT Forget Columbus

Brunswick, OH

#4 Jul 19, 2010
The Bio-Refinery plant will need skilled technical support, also. Why not utilize the current, small building for locals to attend classes...in COLUMBUS.

A comment writer on TOPIX recently suggested the bio-refinery fuel could be used to run a (local) facility for generating electricity.

Columbus Electric..What say you?
Al Reine Jr

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Jul 19, 2010
another view wrote:
Good story and good to hear. But not really a sudden appearance. At one of the county talking sessions in February, along with discussing Ord 37, Diaz and Sutherland asked about other concerns. Jobs was brought up and specifically educating a new workforce. This action shows that the county commission will listen and act. But the problem is always the same: people gotta show up.
No idea why they put a clueless judgement icon on your post becasue it is exactlty right. Even when people do show up, they aren't really interested in looking for new jobs. They are there because they HAVE to be there. Perfect example is the computer training going on for miners at WNMU. They show up, but they have zero interest in learniong anything. They are there because they have to be there or they don't get their unemployment compensation. But in reality they are waiting for mining jobs to reappear.
DOH

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Jul 19, 2010
They should start with tradition vocational training courses beginning with a welder certification class. This would be more beneficial to the laid off miners. They would now likely have a skill that would pay them more and open up more opportunities during the next time they are laid off.

Next would be building trades such as carpentry, electrical wiring, plumbing etc. Then they could start the green training courses.

But wait...... there probably isn't any federal funds available for training of the traditional trades.
Rethink

United States

#7 Jul 19, 2010
I agree with most of the blogs solar, bio-refinery, wind turbines...not a good idea. The blog that stated that there are no companies around to hire for these people that are receiveing education on trades like these would have to move out of town to get jobs. Deming just is not the place for this types of trade industry.

If an expansion is needed at the Mimbres Valley Learning Center, why don't they expand their ideas to include jobs in the Health Care field. EMT, complete Nursing Programs, Radiology Technician Programs, Masters Programs in Health, etc. Now-a-days, the place to go is in Health Care...we need quality people in that field to stay here in Deming!

I think that would be the route to take County Manager!
beanpole

Ashburn, VA

#8 Jul 19, 2010
Rethink wrote:
I agree with most of the blogs solar, bio-refinery, wind turbines...not a good idea. The blog that stated that there are no companies around to hire for these people that are receiveing education on trades like these would have to move out of town to get jobs. Deming just is not the place for this types of trade industry.
If an expansion is needed at the Mimbres Valley Learning Center, why don't they expand their ideas to include jobs in the Health Care field. EMT, complete Nursing Programs, Radiology Technician Programs, Masters Programs in Health, etc. Now-a-days, the place to go is in Health Care...we need quality people in that field to stay here in Deming!
I think that would be the route to take County Manager!
Right on the money....biorefinery.....whoev er said that obiously has never worked in any type of refinery. The capital costs and technical expertise for that are something that could never be satisfyed in Deming( possibly the state). Not to mention the huge permiting effort that would be needed to get by NMED.

Agreed with the comment about medical careers...they arent going anywhere. And we will always need more.....if nothing else to drive up insurance costs.
Local Farmer

Greenville, VA

#9 Jul 19, 2010
In the past month and it seems like the coming month, we've had well over 20 days of 100 degree heat. Common sense in this area is using drip systems to conserve water because we live in the desert and water evaporates rapidly.

We farmers have gone to conserving water, due to our water table is decreasing yearly. So this bio-refinery are going to have 2000 acres of open water that is going to evaporate which will cause them to have to pump more water to keep their ponds full, and what happens when they pump their allocated water supply, the ponds dry up and so does the refinery and make the lands look hideous!

Rethink conserving our precious resource, water, which we need to live. The refinery is going to have 10-20 employees but how many thousands of acres will we lose in precious farming which is food in multi-million dollar revenue in Luna County which this refinery will destroy.
Cluelessness

Greenville, VA

#10 Jul 19, 2010
After reading the article in the Deming Headlight a couple of weeks ago, about our County Manager. At least two of our Commissioners have realized that he is not doing his job. The one Commissioner that thinks that he is doing his job is just trying to get more votes during this election year.

At the last Commissioner meeting that I attended, she stated that she is a farmer that lost 7 acres of hay to predators. This goes to show how much knowledge she really has about this area, it's time she needs to be replaced as Commissioner and Mr. Sutherland needs to leave with her because he is clueless to what Luna County needs.

Six months maybe too long before Mr. Sutherland can destroy this County by his ignorance and policies that he calls transparency. To me I think it's more mental and egotistical to make this County think that has the knowledge about developing these kinds of projects which he has no idea of.
clown shoes

Silver City, NM

#11 Aug 16, 2010
Hay predators?
Dumber than dumb

United States

#12 Aug 16, 2010
Cluelessness wrote:
After reading the article in the Deming Headlight a couple of weeks ago, about our County Manager. At least two of our Commissioners have realized that he is not doing his job. The one Commissioner that thinks that he is doing his job is just trying to get more votes during this election year.
At the last Commissioner meeting that I attended, she stated that she is a farmer that lost 7 acres of hay to predators. This goes to show how much knowledge she really has about this area, it's time she needs to be replaced as Commissioner and Mr. Sutherland needs to leave with her because he is clueless to what Luna County needs.
Six months maybe too long before Mr. Sutherland can destroy this County by his ignorance and policies that he calls transparency. To me I think it's more mental and egotistical to make this County think that has the knowledge about developing these kinds of projects which he has no idea of.
What are you thinking with, man? It surely is not your head.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Silver City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News WNMU to continue recruiting DACA students despi... 6 hr Susanna 7
News Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Jun 26 Tony 625
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Jun 13 Joel 72,030
News Yes, Denny's is coming Jun 11 Tiger37 1
News Armory celebrates 100 years Jun 7 my opinion 1
News Old-fashioned Fourth of July party (Jul '13) May '16 YUUUUP 4
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) May '16 CrookedHillary 57

Silver City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Silver City Mortgages